• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Overwatch Downgrades: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feats are still being calced, scaling is still being discussed, abilities are still being discussed, nothing has been set in stone yet

The thing is, Blizzard could just completely overhaul a character's abilities whenever they want to. Gameplay mechanics will always take precedence to them over lore defined abilities.

Take Hanzo for example. His scatter shot is canon to the cinematic but Blizzard removed it from the game to fix balancing issues. The rapid fire ability is not something we saw in canon, and I'm very sure the cinematic guys never anticipated this change.

Hell, tomorrow Jeff Kaplan could come out and tell us that Sigma's new ultimate is calling down actual meteors from space, or Genji's ultimate gives him more health temporarily. Should we say these abilities are canon just because they exist now and not before, despite every other source not showing us they don't exist?

Like, for crying out loud, Sombra can hack McCree out of a roll. What? Did she temporarily snap his spine or something? Not to mention she can stop Soldier 76 from sprinting, which is a purely gameplay thing, because I know for a fact, 76's legs aren't mechanical in the slightest.

We have seen rapid shot in canon tho

yez, we should

Both mccree and soldier have cybernetics in their body so her hacking them is not far fetched at all

Hanzo's arms aren't cybernetic though

Claims aren't exactly evidence.

Besides, Wokistan, is there anything that is stopping the OP from being implemented? What else do we need to know?

Then Tracer should just not be there when she gets hacked. Like without her gear she gets erased out of time. Also McCree's roll has nothing to do with his mechanical arm. His legs weren't amputated.

There's nothing being discussed that would stop the changes in the OP from going through though. You have been trying to stall by repeatedly bringing up the first point everyone else has already decided on.

Hacking Hanzo doesn't stop his primary fire, despite the only difference between that and rapid shot being that he shoots more quickly the second time.

@Regis the AP already is being applied. Gameplay stuff is being made stagnant

Regis you are the last person who should be saying snything about stalling threads, especislly when stalling isnt even being done here

Other things hack stops you from doing:

• Throwing a glass jar (Ana grenade, nothing really to hack here)
  • Taking out a second gun (Ana sleep dart, despite her normal gun being fine)
  • Taking out a second gun (Ashe coach gun, like what is sombra just hacking regular shotguns now)
  • Throwing a stick of dynamite (Ashe Dynamite, there's nothing even to hack unless sombra now hacks the fuse or something)
  • Shoving people (Brigette shield bash)
  • SHooting arrows faster (Hanzo rapid fire)
  • Jumping (Hanzo lunge)
  • ******* Rock Climbing (Hanzo wall climbing)
  • A bear trap (Junkrat bear trap)
  • The ability to roll (McCree roll)
  • A Flashbang (There's nothing to hack here, McCree Flashbang)
  • SHOOTING ACCURATELY (McCree Deadeye)
  • Intangibility (Reaper wraith form)
  • Teleportation (Reaper teleport)
  • Moving your arms (Reaper Death Blossom)
  • Throwing a hook at somebody (Roadhog hook)
  • Doing drugs (Roadhog heal)
  • Running (Soldier 76)
  • Hitting the floor (Reinhardt ult)
****, I guess she hard counters ikki. Sombra hacks your skill and ability to move your limbs before hacking your lungs to kill you while she hacks your clothes and the ground below your feet gg

Next time I gotta de load at the gym i'll just claim sombra hacked my muscles so I'm not up to par

@Wok Im confused, what relevance does this have? Sombra's hacking ability is regularly used in her lore, including her cinematic and comic

THe relevance is how she hacks things that pretty obviously can't be hacked like having shoulders and aiming, so another knock against using gameplay stuff literally

How does one ability having extra mechanics in-game invalidate every in-game ability when all of thise abilities have been used in the lore?

Yes weekly show me where sombra hacked a dude's ability to move his arm in more than 2 directions in lore

You do know that i just agreed with you that her hacking has non-canon game mechanics right? There's no need to be snarky

Misinterpreted what you meant as abilities, but that doesn't really help you anyways because the point of contention is lack of proof of these things being used in the lore.

Pretty sure Dargoo wanted scans of literally everything because he wants to do that references thing. Also pretty sure this comment is near identical to one I made earlier

I notice we're already over 300 replies into this thing and still arguing about one topic, so I'm going to help us save some time.

All in favor of the gameplay being considered non-canon, based upon the arguments and information we've seen across both threads, say Aye.

All against, say Nay.

Aye: 7 (Schnee, Pen, Regis, Dark, Calaca, Knight, Dargoo)

Nay: 1 (Weekly)

the statement from the dev that is being used to argue that ist non-canon doesnt even say that gameplay is non-canon

WeeklyBattles said:
the statement from the dev that is being used to argue that ist non-canon doesnt even say that gameplay is non-canon
I will keep quoting this until i am listened to as i dont appreciate trying to strongarm opposition with a faulty vote

Ok but even if it doesn't say that gameplay is non-canon, we still need a statement that 100% proves gameplay is canon. All the evidence above from Sombra's gameplay mechanics to the literal team compositions making no sense point to the gameplay having no bearing on the actual canon.

Then how are we to check what is canon and what is not? Surely we can't pick and choose what is canon ourselves. We need evidence something is canon before we can use it.

If lore reflects something done in the gameplay it just means that said aspect is canon, not that the gameplay has to be canon in any aspect. It just means that the dev team decided to take something from there only.

Should I assume you two (Ovens and Calaca) are voting in favor of gameplay being non-canon?

Sir Ovens said:
Then how are we to check what is canon and what is not? Surely we can't pick and choose what is canon ourselves. We need evidence something is canon before we can use it.
And we are getting that in the forem of the massive list of everything that is canon in gameplay that i am making

BHance why im immensely offended by this attempt to strongarm anything i have to say

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back