• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Overwatch Downgrades: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dargoo Faust said:
Tracer and Widow and Reaper and 76 outwardly express that they do not want to work together in-game

Zen has killed people and omnics in his lore

Snowball actually unironically does that in-canon

WeeklyBattles said:
The only people who have in-game lines interacting with reaper are people who have interacted with him after he died. No one else has lines with him.
When has Junkrat met Reaper?

When has McCree met Reyes after his transformation into Reaper?

When has Mercy met Reyes after his transformation into Reaper?

WeeklyBattles said:
Tracer and Widow and Reaper and 76 outwardly express that they do not want to work together in-game
Yet there they are, helping each other out.

WeeklyBattles said:
Zen has killed people and omnics in his lore
We've had this discussion. You posted a link to a text that said he would "fight to protect omnics and people", with nothing suggesting he actually killed them.

WeeklyBattles said:
Snowball actually unironically does that in-canon
Cool, link it.

I'm noticing you bringing up our previous discussion to this as well. While I'd love to just talk about that exclusively, let's try not mixing them up to be less confusing?

@Dargoo Junkrat doesnt refer to Reaper as Reaper or Reyes he just says that Reaper looks like someone who needs something blown up, something he says to basically everyone.

Reaper uses tactics and abilities identical to Reyes during his time in blackwatch, there's no reason to assume that McCree wouldnt know who reaper is.

Here ya go

WeeklyBattles said:
@Dargoo Junkrat doesnt refer to Reaper as Reaper or Reyes he just says that Reaper looks like someone who needs something blown up, something he says to basically everyone.
Reaper uses tactics and abilities identical to Reyes during his time in blackwatch, there's no reason to assume that McCree wouldnt know who reaper is.

Here ya go
The point is that they haven't met in-canon; having them meet in gameplay makes no sense.

Right before Reaper actually starts going into combat. Ana didn't seem to recognize him on-sight in canon either, so that argument's a bit weird.

That's... literally a gameplay description.

Likely because it's been repeatedly derailed with topics that are recycled from the previous thread, with little to no new content.

Why would Junkrat have to meet Reaper in the lore to ask a random scary looking guy if he wants something blown up for him?

Its from the Overwatch lore visual guidebook, i have the whole thing on imgur if you'd like to see for yourself.

Junkrat helping out Reaper despite the two never interacting and operating on other sides of the planet, for one.

Except, it's clearly describing gameplay elements like "ultimates". I'm sure it's just an artbook and not a "lore visual guidebook" too, which is why it has concepts for the game.

"OVERWATCH VISUAL SOURCE BOOK"

I don't see anything about it being lore-only. It's a concept art book for the game.

I would like you to read literally the second page of the album i posted about how the book is meant to expand on the story of Overwatch as a whole.

"It features in-depth illustrations and information about the game's heroes, locations, and story."

Notice how "heroes" and "story" are seperately listed.

Also notice how "illustrations" and "information" are also seperately listed.

I think it goes without saying the the lore doesn't have "ultimates", and it's just concept art for the game and in-game abilities. The level of minutae we're debating is just asinine.

You've stopped responding on my counters to all of the points other than Mei. I think it's clear there's plenty of contradictions and places where the game doesn't make sense in the context of the lore, and at this point we're just stalling points we've already agreed on.

So I was curious, so I checked the pages on the Overwatch website for Genji and Hanzo. The Book's Bio and Ability descriptions are outright identical to the book's, give or take an opening sentence or two in their biographies. Something notable is that the website has the gameplay and story elements in completely separate tabs.

@Dargoo Youre really implying that fictional charcters in a fighting game wouldnt have techniqus considered thier ultimat eattack? Really? The guidebook alone confirms its canon and is a canon expansion on the lore.

It's a multiplayer shooter, not a fighting game?

I'm seriously confused why we're discussing this now.

We're discussing this because according to you only fighting game characters are allowed to have 'ultimate attacks'

No?

I'm saying Mei having an "ultimate" in the lore doesn't make sense.

Is there anything you have to discuss besides the minute details of the Mei example now? Can we both agree there's plenty of contradictions in the game, since you've stopped commenting on my other examples?

Seriously, if we need to have a discussion of "is Overwatch a fighting game" to get to the end of this thread we'll end up needing another one.

Ultimate or not its still an application of Snowball due to it being a climate influencing robot with the ability to supercool the area around itself

We're really going to start throwing around titles to discrdit them now. Cool.

My point is that your only justification of Snowball being capable of doing that is from a concept art book for her abilities in the game, not from the actual story of the verse.

It being called an "Ultimate" is just evidence of the page just being a gameplay concept. It's obvious by just looking at the page you linked, but here we are, I guess.

Are you or are you not going to adress my other examples, or can we be finished with this discussion, please?

What I said above with Hanzo and Genji applies to Mei, as you can find identical descriptions to those found in the book on the gameplay overview section of Mei's Page on the overwatch website, which again is separate from the Story section. I'm not seeing how this book presents any new information besides the part that gives an overview of the story, but I doubt it gives much more information than can be found elsewhere online or in other stories/cinematics/etc.

@Derp Because th ebook flat out states that everything in it i an expansion on the lore of the verse, not the game

I genuinely dont understand why we're being biased with what characters should and shouldnt be allowed to have 'ultimate abilities'

If there really is a guidebook saying the ultimate abilities are part of lore I think it should be counted. also whether it's a fighting game or a shooting game doesn't really matter in determining canonicity.

It's not a guidebook, Ryu. It's a concept art book, for the game, which isn't canon, as discussed previously.

The numerous examples of contradictions and direct statements from the writers of it not being canon are why it isn't canon. The "fighting game vs shooting game" argument was a result of discussing minute details of minute details that aren't part of the larger picture.

I can understand with the recent discussions getting unreasonably incomprehensible, but this is a really big misunderstanding of the discussion.

That doesn't seem to fit with statements by writers or or what Dargoo has posted. I doubt all gameplay aspects are as canon as any short stories posted as background for the game.

WeeklyBattles said:
https://i.imgur.com/TvKICjX.jpg

The short stories are built off of the game
The pages you're linking suggest more of a top-down design, that is; the lore is considered before the game.

Unless of course you're talking about when they thank the game for making the story possible, which is true, the game is the reason the story exists. That does not, however, make the game canon to the story, as the writers have so clearly laid out to you.

Can we please move on from this topic? You're clearly recycling the same arguments and topics over and over again and we're seeing little to no headway in spite of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back