• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Overwatch Downgrades: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, what I can attempt doing is adding the references format to the pages with what we've been given evidence on so far, and post a draft page-by-page. I can go over stuff I couldn't locate on my own here, which can be sourced through other users or removed.

Since we're not including the gameplay as canon anymore, we need to justify powers, abilities, and skills outside of that context now, which puts a lot of what's on there in question. Characters whose lore and gameplay don't match up at all (Lucio and Zenyatta spring to mind) might need to be rehauled completely.

I don't actually think we're going to be removing much; we just need to put work in to dredge our stuff that isn't accurate.

That's fine. I'm just concerned on sourcing the feats.

We can start adding/removing stuff after we've discussed what we have sources for and what we don't. And after the calcs.

It seems to just be showing the same gameplay features as the other book, while neatly separating story elements in a biography section.

All that really seems different is the title.

<_<

>_>

So... i don't really know why we are doing a circular argument of gameplay being cannon when you know who stated otherwise, and if there is feats to calc, tell us what feats and the sources

This feels like when a kid holds onto their parents and drags their feet to get them something they want while screaming all the way.

The most circular revision thread.

Anyway, like I said before, Dargoo has the point here. I guess if we're counting votes, that's mine.

I have been told that this thread has gone toxic and circular and that an admin is stonewalling changes that the others have agreed about. Is this an accurate summary?

It is not THAT toxic, maybe some snarky comments from both sides, but it is not that bad. However there is some circular argument, with proof, we determined that the lead writters don't consider the gameplay to be cannon, as such, almost everything that appears in game must be confirmed in books or in comics, but Weekly is still arguing about the game being cannon

@Drite

Well, I suppose that we should preferably go with what the majority of the staff have decided then.

@Regis

That is obviously not good.

@Ant

To preface, if you read through the OP (a summary of the previous thread), it was already agreed to disregard gameplay feats and abilities prior to this thread being started (Due to various established contradictions and direct statement from the authors). King, Wok, and Myself all storngly supported this, alongside with various regular users. iirc DDM was in support of King's opinion as well, while Ryu and Andy only seemed to comment occasionally without the full context of the situation in mind given how badly the discourse was derailed.

The discussion was, soon after King decided to part from the wiki, brought up again on this thread, with myself and Wok trying to explain that we had already discussed the matter. The thread devolved into discussion on unimportant details and minutae for nearly half of this thread as it stands, and little new arguments were actually coming up, so I expressed that we should continue the revision with the already established consensus.

After which I was threatened publicly with being reported and told privately that anything I attempted would be removed, so I reluctantly continued the debate in spite of my better judgement. Lo and behold, the same points were circulated to little to no effect on either side.

There's honestly more to the situation, although I'd perfer PMing that to you since I'd rather not derail the thread with drama.

Well, it seems best to apply what you, King, and Wok originally decided then.

I'm in agreement to disregard gameplay abilities. For one, the abilities are not set in stone, Mercy alone has been reworked to death and to if we treat gameplay as gospel, she can only resurrect one person at a time, when she could previously resurrect more.

It isn't even a matter of contradiction, it's a matter of consistency. How does Reaper absorb health? From soul orbs like previously? Or the more recent vampuric shotgun shells?

I feel like it's better to go off canon than to go off gameplay.

Btw: I am trying to talk with Weekly in private. He hasn't replied yet though.

Are we talking only about the abilities or in game stuff right now? Cause i wish to bring the different type of health in the game and discuss them

I am at work atm and would appreciate the immediate stop of all discussions that I cannot be be a part of

Sir Ovens said:
I'm in agreement to disregard gameplay abilities. For one, the abilities are not set in stone, Mercy alone has been reworked to death and to if we treat gameplay as gospel, she can only resurrect one person at a time, when she could previously resurrect more.

It isn't even a matter of contradiction, it's a matter of consistency. How does Reaper absorb health? From soul orbs like previously? Or the more recent vampuric shotgun shells?

I feel like it's better to go off canon than to go off gameplay.
All in game abilities exist in the lore and the gguidebook confirms that theyre all canon so no, they should not be removed

So far youve presented one art source book and a bunch of qoutes that don't really support that, lucio taking the technology and using it to rally the people is a far cry from him abandoning his pacficistic tendencies and weaponizing the sonic tech.

I have some trouble buying the idea tracer and widowmaker working on the same team could be considered cannon. Mercy being able to ressurect people from death with such ease again pretty out there. sombra hacking a persons legs....I'll say no more but sombra is full of things that clearly only exist to balance the game

Dargoo Faust said:
It seems to just be showing the same gameplay features as the other book, while neatly separating story elements in a biography section.
All that really seems different is the title.
I saw it, just looks like more of the same.....

The title is the sole reason why the first book was consisdered non-csnon. The reason why the first book wasn't considered canon was solely because it was called an art book. I gave you a book that is called a world guide so it should be considered canon.

Widow tanking the shockwave from the doomfist gauntlet, mauga tanking a pier exploding, Baptiste tanking a bomb, and or15s and heavy assault units falling from the sky

I think it's better to move on and carry out what has been decided first. Coming back to the rest later woulb be easier for people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back