• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Overwatch Downgrades: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay yeah, I found the post about that. I strongly disagree with using the minimum requirement to catch fire, if we're talking strictly about his feat where he fell from orbit in his Origin Story video. The speed that should be used is atmospheric reentry speeds (i.e. speeds of space shuttles, meteors, failed satalites etc...) which would be around 7,500 m/s.

Out of curiosity, how was the 9-A value pulled? From the force of the impact or the heat of re-entry?

Because the latter wouldn't require any kind of super-durable metal, just a decent heat shield like RL spaceships, and the former could change drastically based on angle of the fall, having a parachute, and if it landed on land or water.

"DonTalk has made it clear not to assume escape velocity feats just because someone falls from orbit unless there's context (Such as flying through space at great speeds before reaching the orbit or being a giant meteor). But simply jumping of an orbital space station towards and accelerated to Earth has Terminal velocity speeds"

From the other thread

Not sure, but the original High 8-C calc was based off of the force of impact, and even then, I think the minimum speed to catch fire was used, which I disagree with. Atmospheric reentry speeds is what should be used, which would possible call for an upgrade.

Exceptreenty would be the case for this kind of feat as it reentered the atmosphere after launching off the moon

Drite77 said:
"DonTalk has made it clear not to assume escape velocity feats just because someone falls from orbit unless there's context (Such as flying through space at great speeds before reaching the orbit or being a giant meteor). But simply jumping of an orbital space station towards and accelerated to Earth has Terminal velocity speeds"
From the other thread
Terminal velocity isn't even a fixed constant. It depends on two things. The density of the thing that's falling, and how thick the atmosphere it's falling through. E.g. a feather has a far lower terminal velocity than a human body. Even cats have a lower terminal velocity than humans. And something falling from orbit will have a far higher terminal velocity than something falling from a skyscraper, due to differences in atmospheric density.

Second, where is that source from? Every time I look up atmospheric reentry speeds, I always get speeds of 7,500 or so m/s.

@Meleenium

The terminal velocity that i find of the pod was 55 m/s, and i am almost sure that Weekly used that speed

@Weekly

Wasn't Hammond's pod like, on space and not on the moon?

It looks like meteors do slow down dramatically before hitting the ground.

https://www.amsmeteors.org/fireballs/faqf/#12

But also, reentry speeds from the Moon are even higher than the number I said. Around 11,000 m/s.

https://space.stackexchange.com/questions/9139/what-are-reentry-speeds-of-space-vehicles

I think the durability of Hammond's pod should be a combined impact feat, plus the feat of enduring atmospheric reentry from the Moon.

We would also have to agree on the weight of Hammond's pod before he upgraded it to a mech. But anyway, I have to go to work now for like 2 hours.

@Weekly The roppe was cut, and it looks that the thing that was carrying Hammond was not going to Australia so he didn't accumulate any of the momentum

Drite77 said:
@Weekly
This is not falling from the moon
That other pod Hammond was tethered to was Winston's pod, which came from the Moon. When Winston was escaping from the Moon, Hammond tethered onto him and hitched a ride. So they both came from the Moon, and Hammond's pod broke off right before they entered the atmosphere. Winston landed in Spain (safely) while Hammond crash-landed in Australia.

@Drite the pod that was carrying hammond landed in Gibraltar, and the rope snapped at they were entering the atmosphere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back