• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

OP Earth Size

The size seems alright, but I think that assuming higher G seems a bit unfounded without proof, as it does bring up some things that are weird (and escusing it as fiction only works if the verse actualy proves that the rules work that way)

honestly I don't think it matters all to much as even if it was the same size as the earth the land to sea ratio creates a surface area of too much open water that make the percentage of non-breathable water vapor in the atmosphere far outside the realm for mammals to survive on it, Then again the atmosphere in one piece is also weird and extends past its moons since you can literally fly to the moon via airship or balloon.

Like i have stated before, it the calculations are accurate and it is consistent with what is display in the series, then it should be accepted.

Stefano4444 said:
Like i have stated before, it the calculations are accurate and it is consistent with what is display in the series, then it should be accepted.
Hence why I am opposed to it since it is not consistent with what the series portrays.

Damage3245 said:
Hence why I am opposed to it since it is not consistent with what the series portrays.
How exactly? The OP World was been suggest to be very large in several occassions.

The Alabasta's Sandora River had be stated to be 50 km wide, making it the entire country around the size of Australia, the smallest continent on Earth right now.

And the place doesn't seen to be that big and the same it valid for nearly any countries in the Red Line, most of the times all the lands are show to be minuscule compare with the other four Blue Sea.

World_Infobox.png

Even the Fishman Island's Mermaid Cove was stated to be 150 km wide, a statement was never be disproved for what i know.

And Zunish, the titanic elephant of Zou, even after one thousand of years worth of constant travelling he didn't even across half of the planet yet.

And yeah there is no concrete conferm about the size either from the series or from Oda, but current estimate based on the maps draw in the manga do suggest the planet to be around the size of the Sun.

And since the calculations seen to be overall consistent between each other, there is sufficent reason for now to considered the world of OP to be that big.

> Even the Fishman Island's Mermaid Cove was stated to be 150 km wide, a statement was never be disproved for what i know.

I'll respond to the rest of it in turn but that was removed from the volume version of the chapter. Seeing as the ocean was 10km deep, you realize that it is completely impossible for Fishman Island to be 150 km in diameter, right?

> And Zunish, the titanic elephant of Zou, even after one thousand of years worth of constant travelling he didn't even across half of the planet yet.

Was it stated that Zunisha was only ever travelling in a straight line for that whole time?

> The Alabasta's Sandora River had be stated to be 50 km wide, making it the entire country around the size of Australia, the smallest continent on Earth right now.

I'm partially convinced Oda simply did not understand the scale of what he was drawing there. Even then, nothing indicates that Alabasta is an average-size island in One Piece; remember how tiny Dressrosa and Whole Cake Island are?

Damage3245 said:
I'll respond to the rest of it in turn but that was removed from the volume version of the chapter. Seeing as the ocean was 10km deep, you realize that it is completely impossible for Fishman Island to be 150 km in diameter, right?
150 km wide, not 150 km in diameter/size.

I assume you have the scan for that / the chapter it was mentioned?

In any case, the 150km width was retconned so isn't applicable.

Damage3245 said:
I'm partially convinced Oda simply did not understand the scale of what he was drawing there. Even then, nothing indicates that Alabasta is an average-size island in One Piece; remember how tiny Dressrosa and Whole Cake Island are?
That doesn't change the fact that Alabasta, like any other lands on the Red Line, is show to be really tiny compare with the rest of the world at most.

Do you have a reference shot for Alabasta compared to the rest of the world?

Damage3245 said:
Do you have a reference shot for Alabasta compared to the rest of the world?
Just look to all the maps , you will see that all the lands in the Red Line are show to be small compare with the lands in the four Blue Seas, if not impossible to see for how much they're tiny.

Also, 125x gravity does not equate to 125x speed. It just means that accelerating is 125x harder, and top speed is lower to some unknown extent.

Edit: not meant to be a reply to #56

Stefano4444 said:
Just look to all the maps , you will see that all the lands in the Red Line are show to be small compare with the lands in the four Blue Seas, if not impossible to see for how much they're tiny.
None of those are specifically Alabasta.

You you're just looking at random islands on the Grand Line and assuming one of them must be Alabasta?

EDIT: You realize if Alabasta is truly the size of Australia there, that those Seagulls would be thousands of kilometers into the sky? It doesn't look very reasonable to me.

Quoting the calc: "Alabasta was the 4th island on the Strawhat Pirates' journey. They apparently took the central path, and if we wanted to low-end this and pick the largest 4th island among all the paths, this is still the case for the central path." There's an image showing the beginning islands of the grand line in the calc, and Cin explains which one is Alabasta and why. Did you read the calc?

Damage3245 said:
You you're just looking at random islands on the Grand Line and assuming one of them must be Alabasta?
Yes, the maps doesn't specify which island is and it doesn't matter since all of them have show to have similar size.

The only thing 'proving' the One Piece world to be bigger than the Sun is the width of the river in Alabasta.

I think that's too little evidence at hand to consider supporting this considering how ridiculously big that would make the One Piece world.

What's more likely, that Oda intended the size of the planet to be bigger than the Sun itself, or he didn't understand what kind of scaling it would make for the river to be that wide?

Damage3245 said:
What's more likely, that Oda intended the size of the planet to be bigger than the Sun itself, or he didn't understand what kind of scaling it would make for the river to be that wide?
It doesn't matter.

No Author does calcs.

Overlord775 said:
It doesn't matter.

No Author does calcs.
Right, but authors can write outliers into their story.

Toriyama wrote Roshi destroying the Moon early in Dragon Ball but that isn't accepted here because it is an outlier.

I think unless more evidence comes out to support it, we should treat this as an outlier too.

Damage, I feel like you're making a bunch of arguments out of incredulity. Though I do agree with you that we're cherry picking our islands here, and I brought evidence with me.

https://ww3.readonepiece.com/chapter/one-piece-digital-colored-comics-chapter-129/

This chapter shows a good image of the second island in the grand line on the path they took. Those monster's heads are big enough that the giants only make it up to the very bottom of the lowest holes in their skulls, but even so it's nowhere close to the size it should be when compared to the supposed giant of Alabasta.

That's just false.

Someone drawing something in a way that makes it look far biger is entierly possible

That's an inconsistency not an outlier.

@Blahblah9755, you're right, I am incredulous but I think a good degree of skepticism is needed here.

And I thank you for pointing out that the size of the second island they visited is absolutely nowhere near as large as it would be according to the scans from that calc.

The calc is creating inconsistencies in the island sizes.

The problem in your argument is that it was never stated the prehistoric island was bigger than Alabasta.

It wasn't stated that the prehistoric island was smaller or bigger than Alabasta, either it was never stated that Alabasta was the smaller or the larger land in the Red Line.

So the size of other lands do not debunk Alabasta be around the size of Australia.

Except for the fact that we have a scan showing the islands on the Grand Line and that's what we're using to scale the planet's size. If Alabasta is that big and the Dino island is this small then there's no way to say that image is to scale, making the calc invalid.

Stefano4444 said:
The problem in your argument is that it was never stated the prehistoric island was bigger than Alabasta.

It wasn't stated that the prehistoric island was smaller or bigger than Alabasta, either it was never stated that Alabasta was the smaller or the larger land in the Red Line.

So the size of other lands do not debunk Alabasta be around the size of Australia.
If the argument is that the 4th island that Straw Hats visit on the map of the Red Line is Alabasta, then we should be able to look at the 2nd island on the map and it would be the prehistoric island.

From there you compare the size of the second island and fourth island.

What we can see from that is that the islands are either not to scale, making it useless for calculating the size of the planet, or that Alabasta's size is greatly exaggerated.

Damage seems to make sense here.

Issue I just noticed, the old One Piece Earth calc uses the same image to scale Albasta's size, and the same image to scale the Grand/Redline's size. In other words it hits the same issue as this new one with the dinosaur island being too small for that image to be to scale/for Alabasta to be that big.

Back