• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

One Piece General Discussion: Egghead

It's not that common to use pronouns to refer to the character in the profile anyway. It's not "He is able to harm X", it's usually "Is able to harm X", so we mostly won't even address Yamato by a pronoun anyway.

It's not that common to use pronouns to refer to the character in the profile anyway. It's not "He is able to harm X", it's usually "Is able to harm X", so we mostly won't even address Yamato by a pronoun anyway.
Yeah, but since it's such a sensitive, polarizing, and divisive topic, it's just better to go with the option that will offend the least amount of people, meaning we should just use gender neutral pronouns

Then we list her gender as "Unknown" with an explanation behind how she can be considered both sorta

Well, my suggestion was just:

Well it's not as simple as that, so it's probably better to leave it as unknown IMO

Unknown (Biologically Female, but has identified as Male due to their desire to identify as Kozuki Oden)
And I'm pretty sure Fandom would prefer that kind of label.
I really don't care what Fandom prefers if Fandom is being blatantly bias for one side of the argument

The method that offends the least amount of people is to just leave it as neutral... I mean even Oda is being intentionally vague about it and treating it like a joke/gag/meme

If Yamato identifies as male then male is what we're going to list. The Kozuki Oden stuff isn't a detractor from that.

And you don't have to care about Fandom's decision, but Fandom's decision is what is ultimately final here.

If Yamato identifies as male then male is what we're going to list. The Kozuki Oden stuff isn't a detractor from that.
See that's the thing tho, that's the debate that everyone is having, a lot of people are split on this issue and it's not a matter of fact thing

So let's just leave it as neutral so as not to offend anyone, it doesn't hurt anyone under the cirumstances
And you don't have to care about Fandom's decision, but Fandom's decision is what is ultimately final here.
I've already stated how outlandishly unreasonable Fandom was about this on the One Piece Wiki, but what happens on the One Piece Wiki doesn't concern us here unless Fandom directly steps in to address us. We have never always followed the One Piece Wiki before and I see no reason to now.

Going the gender neutral route is fair to everyone and will hopefully avoid sparking more debates and controversy

Yeah I'm with Mitch on this one. I really don't care what the One Piece Wiki does, nor do I buy into how unreasonable Fandom is about the whole thing. If you want to piss off the least amount of people, gender neutral pronouns are the best way to go.

Yeah just make them Gender Neutral or Unknown, I see no reason to suck off Fandom and the whole "I identify as blank" debacle, which is to say, yes. I think the whole thing is stupid.

Or we make them a Futa
If futa Yamato and Hiyori had a kid, would that be inc***?

It's all a normal back and forth until the last two posts and I hate it
But yes, calling Yamato "Yamato" is for the best for now. We literally have no less than a few weeks at most to see how the crew handles it anyway. If they start calling Yamato "he", we'll do it. If Yamato drops the Oden cosplay and gets refered to as "she", we'll use it.

I don't mean to make it a huge debate and I definitely don't wanna offend anyone. We're all adult enough to have this topic without getting heated or being overtly rude. I'm genuinely trying to look at it at an unbiased baseline topic. The way Fandom handled this matter on the One Piece Wiki was very poor, and I don't wanna do it that way. I know how I would label the profile if I had control and I know how some others would label the profile if they had control. It's a very split issue with a lot of varying opinions. So the best way to appease everyone before it is stated with absolute certainty what the deal is, is to just go the neutral route.

I'm sorry to bring this up so crudely, but now that we're close to Yamato's profile being made, It's something we had to address sooner or later

How do you know that? And why? Transgenderism isn't something you develop overtime.
1) Yamato refers to themselves as Kaido's son. Oden wasn't Kaido's son. If Yamato only saw themselves as literally Oden, then Yamato wouldn't refer to themselves as Kaido's son.

2) Yamato says that he "became a man".

3) When put in a situation that doesn't allow for mixed gender groupings, Yamato chose to put themselves in the male group. If Yamato identified primarily as female, then Yamato would have gone into the female group but he didn't.

I'm not an expert on transgenderism, so I wouldn't attempt to diagnose or evaluate Yamato in depth, but we do have clear indicators of the character's preference and this should be sufficient.

1) Yamato refers to themselves as Kaido's son. Oden wasn't Kaido's son. If Yamato only saw themselves as literally Oden, then Yamato wouldn't refer to themselves as Kaido's son.
Yamato has a very distinct way of uniting their role-play with their actual life. They refer to themselves as "Kozuki Oden, but you can call me Yamato", alluding to the fact Yamato considers themselves to be both at the same time. The "Son" part is possible to be a factor that comes from Oden.
2) Yamato says that he "became a man".
That factor is secondary to Oden. An afterthought, if you will.
Had Oden been anything else, female, non-binary, gender fluid, Yamato would have become that as well. I'd say if Oden was a literal dog, Yamato wouldn't hesitate to bark around Onigashima as well.
3) When put in a situation that doesn't allow for mixed gender groupings, Yamato chose to put themselves in the male group. If Yamato identified primarily as female, then Yamato would have gone into the female group but he didn't.
Well, that's fair, but a neutral point. They haven't dropped the Oden identity yet, if ever.
I'm not an expert on transgenderism, so I wouldn't attempt to diagnose or evaluate Yamato in depth, but we do have clear indicators of the character's preference and this should be sufficient.
Well, I am, sort of. Yamato's case is more akin to gender dystopia rather than blatant transgenderism, their lack of self identity and clinging on what's borderline identity theft should be evidence of such. Furthermore, transgenderism is a psychological state, you have a man's identity trapped within a female body, Yamato did not have wishes, thoughts, or any of the sort to become a man before role-playing as Oden. I think calling Yamato a "him" is fair. I wouldn't slander people for calling Yamato a "her" though.

Still, although I am one hundred percent sure you will continue to be respectful while on this topic, I imagine this might trigger an argument from a third-party. If you wish to continue to have a chat about this, contact me on Discord, I'd love to hear more about your thoughts on this situation.

Had Oden been anything else, female, non-binary, gender fluid, Yamato would have become that as well. I'd say if Oden was a literal dog, Yamato wouldn't hesitate to bark around Onigashima as well.

People keep bringing this up as if it means anything, but why would a hypothetical affect our judgment here? If Yamato identified as female because Oden was female, we'd list Yamato as female. If Yamato identified as male because Oden was male, we'd list Yamato as male. I don't understand why some people have a hard time accepting that.

I'm a little surprised Yamato's such a hot topic tbh- I thought it would be settled fairly quickly.
It's either that, or we could wait for the next few chapters then make the profile, at least to see how Yamato interacts with the rest about the 'Oden' name and whatever pronouns the crew might use. (Assuming Yamato's still joining-)

I'm a little surprised Yamato's such a hot topic tbh- I thought it would be settled fairly quickly.
I don't think it'll ever be entirely settled unless Yamato's holds up a sign above their head with "He/Him" in big bold letters and keeps it on him at all times.

Like I said, Unknown Gender and Gender Neutral Pronouns is the way to go

I know for a fact almost everyone here still considers her a Female, but to be fair to all sides, we should just go the Gender Neutral Route

Nobody should be bothered by that, right?

Personally I don't have an issue with treating Yamato gender-neutrally. I vary between using male pronouns and gender neutral pronouns for Yamato. But our personal opinions shouldn't really factor into it.

Personally I don't have an issue with treating Yamato gender-neutrally. I vary between using male pronouns and gender neutral pronouns for Yamato. But our personal opinions shouldn't really factor into it.
Well everyone has different interpretations and understandings of Yamato's deal

I'm not going to debate the specifics as I don't care for that anymore, having them be considered gender neutral on the profile offends no one and appeases all the pieces of the information we are presented with about the matter. Yamato has been addressed by both genders across everything that is canon, so just go gender neutral and it doesn't specify a single stance on the matter. Yamato is not as simple as Kiku.

People keep bringing this up as if it means anything, but why would a hypothetical affect our judgment here? If Yamato identified as female because Oden was female, we'd list Yamato as female. If Yamato identified as male because Oden was male, we'd list Yamato as male. I don't understand why some people have a hard time accepting that.
This point basically tries to say: The gender is an afterthought not truly representing Yamato's identity as an individual, thus, it should hold no more weight than a mere role-play and people shouldn't judge others because they're ignoring said role-play altogether when referring to them. Gender Dystopia isn't exactly what we'd call "identity".

This could be debunked or reinforced next chapter, or worse, not being addressed at all for the rest of the series. Either way, I don't mind Trans Yamato as long as it's entirely disconnected from Oden.

I strongly doubt that it will ever be disconnected from Oden - but I don't think we have the option to ignore it either.

If you go up to Fandom and say "We shouldn't list Yamato as male because she's just roleplaying and pretending to have a different gender" then that's not going to end well.

Back