• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

One Piece Chapter 1063: "My Only Family" (Official Translation)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's just less fun reading the OP chapters when you already know that most of the female characters you hope will get good feats and screentime are going to be sidelined.

The only exception was Reiju, since Oda actually gave her some good combat screentime.
Again, only your problem, most of us aren't shrug

I don't know how they could have a problem with the way Vivi was used when she got plenty of combat and was obviously more than just fanservice.

And it's funny to me how so many people forget that Yamato is also a princess and we know the things she's capable of.
Me: Puts on nerdy glasses

Actually, sir, Yamato is technically a prince, therefore your logic is flawed.

Though I will admit that Ulti was handled very well. Seriously, she was a ******* menace. She made Luffy struggle with her and absolutely terrorized Nami and Usopp.

Last edited:

Though I will admit that Ulti was handled very well. Seriously, she was a ******* menace. She made Luffy struggle with her and absolutely terrorized Nami and Usopp.
Yamato's epithet is "Oni Princess", my logic isn't flawed at all.

I'd say both Ulti and Black Maria were handled very well, but Black Maria doesn't get half the credit as Ulti does by a lot in this fanbase.

She captured Sanji with an ingenious plan and successfully lured in Robin like she was ordered to. She was a threat to two Mid Tier Straw Hats and had a great showing against Robin in their 1v1 before Demonio Robin destroyed her.

Ulti is alright. Luffy was holding back a lot when he fought her, he had to save a ton of energy for when he fought Kaidou and Big Mom with his pals at the Roof Top, so he was trying not to use advanced haki or moves that drain him.

Last edited:
Can everybody permanently stop with the very oversensitive toxic complete overreactions and misinterpretations please? Let Oda write One Piece as he wishes without trying to impose oppressive totalitarian standards of storytelling via slander. Thank you.

If you do not enjoy One Piece, but rather just want to remake it into your own personal story, then why are you even reading it in the first place?

Also, I am not at all fond of offensive memes or videos either.

Can everybody permanently stop with the very oversensitive toxic complete overreactions and misinterpretations please? Let Oda write One Piece as he wishes without trying to impose oppressive totalitarian standards of storytelling via slander. Thank you.

If you do not enjoy One Piece, but rather just want to remake it into your own personal story, then why are you even reading it in the first place?

Also, I am not at all fond of offensive memes or videos either.
Yeah, fair points, and someone here DID point out that that awkward Doc Q scene actually could make sense since there is a real life " ma'lady plague ". Whether or not Oda is sexist, that scene wasn't particularly a sexist one, it was most likely just due to an error in his Devil Fruit's name or powers or Oda was indeed referencing some obscure disease that we had the misfortune of not knowing about.
Maybe people went overboard with it because it's easy to make fun of, and because right now the community's reaction is split between " Female Law is hot " and " How are women a disease? " there will naturally be a bit of a controversy and discord among the community.

Last edited:
Oda isn't sexist. He has had plenty of very strong women in his stories. It is not reasonable to complain simply because his story is shounen-oriented (mainly marketed for boys), not shoujo-oriented, and as such the men will have a bit more prominent lead roles, whereas the women will usually be physically weaker, which is factually accurate in relation to how the real world works.

Also, it isn't like I am constantly complaining because most of the men in She-Ra, Sailor Moon, and Steven Universe were portrayed as far more physically useless than the women of One Piece, even though the real world doesn't work like that at all, so let's all drop the double-standards and leave Oda alone please.

It also thankfully isn't criminal yet for men to find beautiful women attractive, and Oda has continuously tried to treat all genders and sexualities with respect. He and his wife are even good friends with the voice actress for Ivankov who is a drag queen IRL.

Then again, maybe Oda was trying to make fun of and lessen tensions regarding the controversy and uncertainty surrounding Yamato's preferred pronouns with Doc Q's new power? I do not know.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's a great point. I also feel like we might be incredibly judgmental of him and it's a tad bit unfair. Not every fan is incredibly judgmental, obviously, but some of us are, and we do need to stop being so hard on him when he makes mistakes. He is human, he is imperfect, and always will be. Just like the rest of us. And sure his designs and behaviors for certain characters are strange, so is the way said characters are treated, but see it from this way round:
If you had to write a manga for 20+ years, producing and releasing chapters every 1 or 2 weeks, would you not slip up a couple times and feel a little tired, even if writing it is a bit fun? Because even if it is fun, doing the same thing for years, no matter how thrilling it could be, is going to drive you nuts eventually. I think Oda needs a vacation right now, honestly.

Turning the male characters female via a contagious power isn't sexist. Instead of "sickness", it's better to look at Doc Q's power as just contagious effects he can spread to others. Wouldn't be surprised if he had an opposite sickness that could turn women into men. That's not sexist either.

Turning the male characters female via a contagious power isn't sexist. Instead of "sickness", it's better to look at Doc Q's power as just contagious effects he can spread to others. Wouldn't be surprised if he had an opposite sickness that could turn women into men. That's not sexist either.
It is entirely possible that Oda invented the whole "turning into women" disease power just to make that "ma'lady" pun. This is absolutely the kind of juvenile gag he pulls all the time

Yes, Oda may simply have tried to do something funny. This is supposed to be a manga about freedom, kindness, bravery, and enjoying life, not be constantly dead-serious and grimdark.

unknown.png
Why are Worstgen members like this, man?

Also don't disrespect Urouge DF, it's basically a very cool potential DF, it's basically "Darkness Masochism from Konosuba but without any lewd/fanservice shennanigans, instead it have 200.0% NANOMACHINES SON VIBE"
Give Urouge armament haki & he would pull off a better Armstong than Vergo.
Maybe it makes him unmatched in terms of raw physical strength?
Reminds me of that FOP episode where Timmy wished to be the strongest in the beach. If a person stronger than him came to the beach, he would get as strong as they are and grow in size.
Y'know what I just realized? There were very few reasons for Blackbeard to even go to Drum Kingdom back then, they don't really have anything important. Only reason he could have been there is because the Human Human fruit was there, perhaps he was trying to feed that to Doc Q's horse but couldn't find it and Chopper ate it?
Edit: Or he could have been after that fruit that lets you eat everything besides Seastone.
Maybe he was interested in Kureha's secret of extending her lifespan too? Or he attacked the island just for lols as the scumbag pirate that he is?

1. I apologize for derailing the thread and whining a lot, I went overboard.

2. I'm rooting for Law but betting Blackbeard.

3. I really hope we see Kid and his crew do some badass stuff after this.

I'd say both Ulti and Black Maria were handled very well, but Black Maria doesn't get half the credit as Ulti does by a lot in this fanbase.

She captured Sanji with an ingenious plan and successfully lured in Robin like she was ordered to. She was a threat to two Mid Tier Straw Hats and had a great showing against Robin in their 1v1 before Demonio Robin destroyed her.
Honestly, while you are right that BM was handled very well and was quite the threat, her being a standard Tobiroppo was a tad of a letdown IMO, in a way that honestly isn't Oda's fault.

I mean, she was portrayed as Kaido's advisor/right hand woman when she poured him drinks and wanted to spend time with him, so I honestly thought she'd have a higher rank.

Not that she was a bad character, but having her be more than a standard Tobiroppo would've been interesting.

The embodinment of super CRINGE
Like those nickname for admirals made me want to puke and wanted to shot this man to his coffin
It's goofy as hell. And they're saying they "loldiffed" them when
-Kizaru was fighting pre TS straw hats, the ones who just barely put down a Pacifista when they all banded together to kill it off, and these fanboys think it's amazing that someone pushed the pre timeskip Straw Hats nearly to their deaths as if any top tier couldn't do that easily.
-Akainu "loldiffing" the Commanders never really happened, in reality they'd probably kill him if it was JUST him up against all of Whitebeard's commanders, or hell, even other Yonko Commanders, if said Commanders jumped him and were great at teaming on others would PROBABLY win against him. But this isn't the case. It's the Commanders vs Akainu, random marines, Vice Admirals, and other admirals intercepting.
-I don't feel like talking about Aramaki so I'll just post this to prove my point: https://cdn.****************.com/file/CDN-M-A-N/onepiecetcb_1055_015.png

1. I apologize for derailing the thread and whining a lot, I went overboard.

2. I'm rooting for Law but betting Blackbeard.

3. I really hope we see Kid and his crew do some badass stuff after this.

Honestly, while you are right that BM was handled very well and was quite the threat, her being a standard Tobiroppo was a tad of a letdown IMO, in a way that honestly isn't Oda's fault.

I mean, she was portrayed as Kaido's advisor/right hand woman when she poured him drinks and wanted to spend time with him, so I honestly thought she'd have a higher rank.

Not that she was a bad character, but having her be more than a standard Tobiroppo would've been interesting.
I feel like Jack should have been the one who was a Tobiroppo, maybe. A Tobiroppo on the verge of being nominated for All Star, like those 2 vice admirals who were nominated for Admiral but lost for obvious reasons. Jack was kind of just a big target and a little weak, Black Maria is much more interesting than him. OFC Black Maria would need to be stronger to be an All Star, but still.

I feel like Jack should have been the one who was a Tobiroppo, maybe. A Tobiroppo on the verge of being nominated for All Star, like those 2 vice admirals who were nominated for Admiral but lost for obvious reasons. Jack was kind of just a big target and a little weak, Black Maria is much more interesting than him. OFC Black Maria would need to be stronger to be an All Star, but still.
Drake should've been an All Star instead of Jack, change my mind.

hard disagree. Akainu would win high-diff
Notice Akainu WAS injured here, and I think this may have been after his battle with Whitebeard which left his insides messed up even though he endured it and tried to act like it didn't happen.

Notice Akainu WAS injured here, and I think this may have been after his battle with Whitebeard which left his insides messed up even though he endured it and tried to act like it didn't happen.
So were all the commanders. Jozu had lost an arm. To be honest, I was thinking fresh Akainu vs fresh commanders but even considering the injuries both sides had sustained by the end of the war, I still think Akainu takes it (maybe extreme-diff)

So were all the commanders. Jozu had lost an arm. To be honest, I was thinking fresh Akainu vs fresh commanders but even considering the injuries both sides had sustained by the end of the war, I still think Akainu takes it (maybe extreme-diff)
I completely forgot Jozu lost that arm. And to think that if he hadn't, perhaps they can win against Akainu.

A few things I got out of this chapter-
Law's ROYALLY ******. It's Law vs half of blackbeard's crew. He does seem to need to actively flex his haki to reverse the devil fruit effect, unlike Kaido and BM who passively neg them. Still, this is the third or fourth statement we got of haki =/= devil fruit abilities in GENERAL. That should encompass every ability we know tbh.
Bonney just made me feel bad. Her calling Kuma daddy was basically showing her reverting to a vulnerable child at the sight of him. Dunno how that big ass explosion was necessary though- vegapunk's robots seem to backfire with how nuke-happy they are

It's blood and he's holding his head where she struck in the next panel.
where blood-
Screenshot_3.png
Screenshot_4.png
Screenshot_5.png

Holding his head doesn't mean he bled, he was just irritated from the looks of it.
Though I'm pretty sure she has haki so idk what difference it makes tbh- just means Bonney can hit

Personally, Black Maria being Kaido's advisor/right hand woman isn't the impression I got from her relationship with them, but that would've been interesting.

Back to the chapter, both Doc Q and Stronger in pain as Blackbeard stands on top of them only gets funnier and funnier every time I see it. It's what they deserve for what they're about to help Teach do to Law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back