• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

One-handed Katana, or a Sword & Shield? (Iaian vs Jaune Arc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aight. Jaune's passive forcefield prevents iaian from hurting him, he has a stat amp that amps him to low 7-B in ap and durability, he has a shield that can generate gravity pulses strong enough to oneshot people on his level, he has multiple methods of self-healing, etc.

Also i like how this thread is arguing as though skill is the only point of contention, yet no one addressed any of this

Jaune's passive forcefield prevents iaian from hurting him

How strong is the forcefield and can it be broken?

If not please send proof.

he has a stat amp that amps him to low 7-B in ap and durability

Not on the page so it can't be used.

he has a shield that can generate gravity pulses strong enough to oneshot people on his level,

Even if it could be, Iaian also scales multiple one-shot gaps above his scaled value.

he has multiple methods of self-healing

He won't get the time to heal because Iaian will be slicing him to death.

Katana vs Broadsword, Katana wins most of the time.

Katana vs Broadsword and shield, Shield wins.

Gotta get that cleared up.
What

A katana doesn't "beat" a broadsword. And, frankly, on the level of anime, the differences between the two are relatively inconsequential because the fighting styles don't leave them as pronounced.
From a technical standpoint a broadsword and shield combo beats a single katana every time, shields kinda just hard counter katanas to the point that later eras of samurai had armor with build in shields (technically speaking armor in general just hard counters swords in general which is why weapons like maces and morningstars replaced them as full body armor became more commonplace)
None of this is true
Indeed, cause the Samurai had this thing called "armor" made to deal with such attacks. Swords vs armor, armor wins every time unless it is actually awful. In terms of killing an unarmored target, Katanas we're built to be durable two-handed killing machines, while Broadswords were built to be able to not completely suck against armor.
Dear god I am going to die of a stroke from sheer historical inaccuracy, you're just pulling shit out of your ass at this point. Generalizing "armor beats swords" is such a weird point, because one doesn't "beat" the other, one protects from the other. Katanas and broadswords are going to kill targets pretty similarly, though broadswords are typically better. Samurai rarely even used katana in actual battles, they preferred spears, bows, and various other types of swords.

Tl:dr the sheer amount of shitty historical arguments in this thread is about to make my head burst, please do not base arguments in historical weapon facts if you don't know what the **** you are talking about.

That's all, I don't care about the matchup.

Edit: I don't think anyone voted based on these shitty ass reasons but if anyone did, invalidate those votes.

How strong is the forcefield and can it be broken?
It can be broken yes, but its not so much a 'how strong is it', it works on health bar mechanics, it can take a set amount of damage before breaking. In this key their forcefield can take dozens of hits from people on their own level before going down, up to being able to withstand blows from Low 7-Bs, but Jaune's is vastly superior in terms of how much damage his can take and it is capable of regenerating itself to an extent.

Even if it could be, Iaian also scales multiple one-shot gaps above his scaled value.
I am going to make the CRT after i respond to Glass' post on the other thread.
He won't get the time to heal because Iaian will be slicing him to death.
Its passive, his Aura heals him from damage he takes

What

A katana doesn't "beat" a broadsword. And, frankly, on the level of anime, the differences between the two are relatively inconsequential because the fighting styles don't leave them as pronounced.

None of this is true

Dear god I am going to die of a stroke from sheer historical inaccuracy, you're just pulling shit out of your ass at this point. Generalizing "armor beats swords" is such a weird point, because one doesn't "beat" the other, one protects from the other. Katanas and broadswords are going to kill targets pretty similarly, though broadswords are typically better. Samurai rarely even used katana in actual battles, they preferred spears, bows, and various other types of swords.

Tl:dr the sheer amount of shitty historical arguments in this thread is about to make my head burst, please do not base arguments in historical weapon facts if you don't know what the **** you are talking about.

That's all, I don't care about the matchup.

Edit: I don't think anyone voted based on these shitty ass reasons but if anyone did, invalidate those votes.
LMFAO

Just saying it from the history I read about from various sites and books, I've done my research on this shit, just happens to vary from yours

also double checking most EDU sites actively say Katana=Samurai sword and EDU sites are always right and definitely aren't ***** cause schools use them!

Holy shit I just got notified of this... Time to make arguments for my GOAT

Anyhow, no idea why you guys bring up the differences in Katanas and Broadswords IRL, its an anime katana Iaian can cut bullets, highly powered battle armor and boulders without the katana losing its dent...

And the most notable thing is that he stopped the charge of a giant Rhino Monster directly with it...

Also he is able to still slash and deflect attacks even if his katana is almost completely destroyed

Anyway will read the rest of the thread before making my vote since this has been going for a while...

By the way this is his Pre MA Arc key, he has both arms...

Last edited:
LMFAO

Just saying it from the history I read about from various sites and books, I've done my research on this shit, just happens to vary from yours

also double checking most EDU sites actively say Katana=Samurai sword and EDU sites are always right and definitely aren't ***** cause schools use them!
Whatever research you're doing is wrong.

And yes, samurai used katana... as a last ditch weapon if everything else went wrong, because spears, bows, and later, guns, were always much better. And even then, they didn't always use katanas. Tachi were far more popular before the era of the Ashikaga shogunate.

Katana are fine swords, don't get me wrong... but you're bullshitting yourself if they're anything incredible to speak of. Hell, this is supported by their poor metallurgic skills. Japan critically lacked access to valuable metals for a majority of it's history, which is why armor was the way it was: partially metal, but utilizing a lot of leather

Katanas are fine swords, and they cut well, but they are by no means overly superior to a broadsword and would be far less effective against more heavily armored knights like what you'd observe in Europe around the same time.

And as Recon very correctly pointed out, because this is anime, the differences between two relatively similar swords is pretty much a non-issue so the entire argument is pointless. Jaune has a shield, which helps her a lot, but the differences between a broadsword and katana really do not matter on this level. Swap one out for a spear, and you have a different story.

Whatever research you're doing is wrong.

And yes, samurai used katana... as a last ditch weapon if everything else went wrong, because spears, bows, and later, guns, were always much better. And even then, they didn't always use katanas. Tachi were far more popular before the era of the Ashikaga shogunate.

Katana are fine swords, don't get me wrong... but you're bullshitting yourself if they're anything incredible to speak of. Hell, this is supported by their poor metallurgic skills. Japan critically lacked access to valuable metals for a majority of it's history, which is why armor was the way it was: partially metal, but utilizing a lot of leather

Katanas are fine swords, and they cut well, but they are by no means overly superior to a broadsword and would be far less effective against more heavily armored knights like what you'd observe in Europe around the same time.

And as Recon very correctly pointed out, because this is anime, the differences between two relatively similar swords is pretty much a non-issue so the entire argument is pointless. Jaune has a shield, which helps her a lot, but the differences between a broadsword and katana really do not matter on this level. Swap one out for a spear, and you have a different story.
Honestly I've seen both sides in various places, it's just a case of Katanas being the main weapon is a lot more common then you'd think, like, too common

Jaune is a dude~

Honestly I've seen both sides in various places, it's just a case of Katanas being the main weapon is a lot more common then you'd think, like, too common

Jaune is a dude~
See that's how little I care about the matchup, I confused Jaune with that other chick.

And no, I am pretty familiar with ancient Japanese history. The katana was always a ceremonial item first, and a last resort weapon after. Largely because of spears.

Again, just check your sources and know what you are talking about before you make a historically based argument, and also make sure the argument is relevant to the debate at all. I'm out.

See that's how little I care about the matchup, I confused Jaune with that other chick.

And no, I am pretty familiar with ancient Japanese history. The katana was always a ceremonial item first, and a last resort weapon after. Largely because of spears.

Again, just check your sources and know what you are talking about before you make a historically based argument, and also make sure the argument is relevant to the debate at all. I'm out.
Chick? Like, the fate Jeanne? Question mark?

Skill blogs have been a thing for a long time, RWBY's skill blog is in the works so their skill will be irrefutably solidified
Besides probably Earl I haven't seen anyone attempt to make one of those and today is the first time I heard about an actual crt for that.

Anyways rwby kinda lacks that so I don't see how it will even be solidified let alone irrefutably

Besides probably Earl I haven't seen anyone attempt to make one of those and today is the first time I heard about an actual crt for that.

Anyways rwby kinda lacks that so I don't see how it will even be solidified let alone irrefutably
My guy, RWBY has some of the most solid and blatant skill fuckery on the wiki lol, they are exceedingly skilled regardless of what you think

My guy, RWBY has some of the most solid and blatant skill fuckery on the wiki lol, they are exceedingly skilled regardless of what you think
I distinctly recall half of the cast being as skilled as a monkey with a banana, some even less.

And considering the biggest threat are wild animals I very much doubt so

I distinctly recall half of the cast being as skilled as a monkey with a banana, some even less.

And considering the biggest threat are wild animals I very much doubt so
Then you havent watched a single second of the series

Iaian got his arm cut off by a random space alien, so skilled

I'm just gonna ignore the drama in this thread and just voice my opinion about the matchup

I don't know why y'all are arguing about Katana vs Broadsword and Shield when this is a fictional universe where both combatants can swing their swords down and shatter city blocks while their swords are barely nicked, slash people dozens of meters away with anime logic and laser beams, and somehow slash people even though the bladed side isn't even touching the target. It's all just fiction. Each of these fighters have their own unique fighting styles that completely disregard real life common sense

That being said, Ian has the stats advantage and has a MASSIVE skill advantage. Decades of training under the most skilled swordsman OPM has ever seen vs a year or two at best alongside other students where the series clearly showcased Jaune's inexperience compared to literally everyone else. Granted, Pyrrha is extremely skilled in her own right, but even comparing Pyrrha to the likes of Atomic Samurai or the Sword School/Clan/Thingies in OPM is very difficult to say

voting Ian

Just now I'm realizing there was a debate between the katana and the broadsword lol

Afaik the katana is not good compared to the broadsword, some would even say it's trash

where the series clearly showcased Jaune's inexperience compared to literally everyone else.
Would like to point out that this is exclusively a Beacon arc/post Beacon Arc thing, after that he is shown to be on par with the rest of the cast in skill

Would like to point out that this is exclusively a Beacon arc/post Beacon Arc thing, after that he is shown to be on par with the rest of the cast in skill
even if this is true (which is only really shown via leadership, he didn't really do anything after Haven), he's still missing 10+ years of experience compared to the rest of the cast, plus the quality of his training is debatable in and of itself due to not being at Beacon and no one else in his vicinity besides Ozpin wielding a sword and shield. Even if we assume that Jaune's training during and after Haven is on par with Ian's, Ian has experienced that training over 10 years vs Jaune's less than 1

even if this is true (which is only really shown via leadership, he didn't really do anything after Haven), he's still missing 10+ years of experience compared to the rest of the cast, plus the quality of his training is debatable in and of itself due to not being at Beacon and no one else in his vicinity besides Ozpin wielding a sword and shield. Even if we assume that Jaune's training during and after Haven is on par with Ian's, Ian has experienced that training over 10 years vs Jaune's less than 1
Eh, its sorta bolstered by the weird Accelerated Development that RWBY characters have

Eh, its sorta bolstered by the weird Accelerated Development that RWBY characters have
I don't think it's AD. It's moreso they didn't get enough real-world experience at Beacon or their middle/elementary schools, but now that the world went to shit and they're tossed into actual crises, they end up learning quickly the hard way

It's kinda like the job market. You can learn whatever you want at school, but very little of that is going to help you succeed when you actually get a job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back