• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

One-handed Katana, or a Sword & Shield? (Iaian vs Jaune Arc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Besides probably Earl I haven't seen anyone attempt to make one of those and today is the first time I heard about an actual crt for that.
I've been working on a MGS skill blog and feat section for about a year now among other stuff
ezgif-2-c147a7ec36.gif

Ok I just got back from work and HOLY HELL this thread has gotten heated and possibly off topic, but I'm here to give my vote, and I think despite all the factors here, Jaune wins this by an edge.

See, despite Iaians superior skill and greater AP, Jaune's Aura and his great Aura reserves means that the Katana wielder can't immediately end the fight in a few strikes, and although I don't believe Weekly's statement that Jaune's Aura Amp puts him at low-7B, I do believe that at minimum it could grant Jaune an AP/durability increase comparable to Iaian. I mean, even if the Amp was only a two fold increase in power, that would still place Jaune at a comparable AP to Iaian, so I believe that AP isnt the biggest factor in this matchup.

Still, though, even if the AP was similar here, Iaian does have the edge in skill, and his Analytical Predictions and Extrasensory perceptions means he would be definetely dominating in fight with Jaune if swordsmanship was the only factor here. However, upon further analysis (which to be fair I had forgotten to mention in my original post), Jaune has something that ultimately gives him the victory here: his leadership skills.

See, despite being less skilled than even the rest of the RWBY cast, Jaune is a talented leader, being able to notice weakspots in enemies and being able to coordinate himself and his teammates to take down superior foes, which can be seen as early as season one when team JNPR fought the Scorpion Grimm, despite having next to no skill at that point and only just recently discovering his Aura. With this is mind, while Jaune may not matchup to Iaian's skill, his ability to deduce weaknesses could allow him to determine a way to defeat the Katana man with what resources he has available. So naturally for Jaune, this would likely involve finding a way to deprive him of either his focus or his weapon.

Of course, even though Jaune has superior LS, its not like Iaian's gonna just let him take the sword... but fortunately for our blonde knight, the ability of his shield to attract or repel objects with gravity dust means that he could use the shield to just pull the Katana from Iaian's hands, ultimately handicapping Iaian and allowing Jaune to go on the offensive, since unlike Jaune, Iaian does not have Aura to protect himself and would thus be more open to a fatal blow.

It should be noted that even with Anayltical Predictions, Iaian would probably not be able to identify that Jaune could pull items with his shield, at least the first time around, since such an ability would probably be out of place for a supposed swordsman and would also not be identifiable as an attack, thus proving that such a scenario is possible.

Now to be fair, this does sound like a very specific encounter may not happen if this fight were to go 100 times over, but the point I'm trying to make here is that Jaune does have the tools to win and that he is more likely to get the win more times than not. Between his superior defenses thanks to Aura and being able to match Iaian's strength thanks to Aura Amplification, plus Jaune's own leadership/weakpoint identifying skills, Jaune should be able to win the war of attrition long enough to overcome Iaian's superior skills before his own options run out. By no means whatsoever its a stomp since Iaian could easily do stuff like disarm Jaune of his weapon or the like, but out of 100 times, I would say Jaune takes its 60 to 70% of the time.

Ok I just got back from work and HOLY HELL this thread has gotten heated and possibly off topic, but I'm here to give my vote, and I think despite all the factors here, Jaune wins this by an edge.

See, despite Iaians superior skill and greater AP, Jaune's Aura and his great Aura reserves means that the Katana wielder can't immediately end the fight in a few strikes, and although I don't believe Weekly's statement that Jaune's Aura Amp puts him at low-7B, I do believe that at minimum it could grant Jaune an AP/durability increase comparable to Iaian. I mean, even if the Amp was only a two fold increase in power, that would still place Jaune at a comparable AP to Iaian, so I believe that AP isnt the biggest factor in this matchup.

Still, though, even if the AP was similar here, Iaian does have the edge in skill, and his Analytical Predictions and Extrasensory perceptions means he would be definetely dominating in fight with Jaune if swordsmanship was the only factor here. However, upon further analysis (which to be fair I had forgotten to mention in my original post), Jaune has something that ultimately gives him the victory here: his leadership skills.

See, despite being less skilled than even the rest of the RWBY cast, Jaune is a talented leader, being able to notice weakspots in enemies and being able to coordinate himself and his teammates to take down superior foes, which can be seen as early as season one when team JNPR fought the Scorpion Grimm, despite having next to no skill at that point and only just recently discovering his Aura. With this is mind, while Jaune may not matchup to Iaian's skill, his ability to deduce weaknesses could allow him to determine a way to defeat the Katana man with what resources he has available. So naturally for Jaune, this would likely involve finding a way to deprive him of either his focus or his weapon.

Of course, even though Jaune has superior LS, its not like Iaian's gonna just let him take the sword... but fortunately for our blonde knight, the ability of his shield to attract or repel objects with gravity dust means that he could use the shield to just pull the Katana from Iaian's hands, ultimately handicapping Iaian and allowing Jaune to go on the offensive, since unlike Jaune, Iaian does not have Aura to protect himself and would thus be more open to a fatal blow.

It should be noted that even with Anayltical Predictions, Iaian would probably not be able to identify that Jaune could pull items with his shield, at least the first time around, since such an ability would probably be out of place for a supposed swordsman and would also not be identifiable as an attack, thus proving that such a scenario is possible.

Now to be fair, this does sound like a very specific encounter may not happen if this fight were to go 100 times over, but the point I'm trying to make here is that Jaune does have the tools to win and that he is more likely to get the win more times than not. Between his superior defenses thanks to Aura and being able to match Iaian's strength thanks to Aura Amplification, plus Jaune's own leadership/weakpoint identifying skills, Jaune should be able to win the war of attrition long enough to overcome Iaian's superior skills before his own options run out. By no means whatsoever its a stomp since Iaian could easily do stuff like disarm Jaune of his weapon or the like, but out of 100 times, I would say Jaune takes its 60 to 70% of the time.

1. a x2 amp is still weaker than Ian regardless, and that's not even considering Ian's colossal advantage in skill and experience, and it also doesn't enhance Jaune's AP so he's gonna have a hard time cutting through Ian's armor regardless
2. Ian can do the exact same thing but better. Jaune being able to deduce Ian's weaknesses only works when he can actually do something to exploit it, which he can't. Deducing the weaknesses of large animals pales in comparison to fighting a trained swordsman with decades of exp who can just paralyze you instantly with killing intent
3. Jaune doesn't have gravity shield in this Key, that's Atlas Jaune. This is Post Haven Jaune, who's shield is just a chunk of metal that can make his sword more deadly when sheathed
4. Read point 3

There's really nothing Jaune in this key can do against Ian to catch him off guard due to Ian's anal predict plus general superior experience and intelligence. Unlike most of the cast, Jaune's aura doesn't help him fight at all besides enhance his stamina, something Ian also has plenty of. At the end of the day Jaune's just a dude with a sword and shield, which isn't anything Ian hasn't seen before. If Jaune sheathes Crocea Mors into its double handed sword variant, he's even more screwed cuz he loses a lot of defense for slower offense that Ian can counter really easily.

I've actually heard Broadswords in general are better in combat IIRC. Though from what I've also heard, Katana's are easier to use due to being smaller.
Compared to European swords, katanas tend to be shorter but with heavier blades for any given length. Average broadsword has 75 cm blade and weights 1 - 1,5 kg, compared to katana which has 60 cm blade and weights 0,9 - 1,4 kg. So while normally a two-handed sword would have reach advantage to compensate for the lack of a shield, here even this isn't true. So a guy with a sword and a shield would have a massive advantage.

Well after reading through wiki drama I don't care about and irrelevant katana vs broadsword discussion, I'm just going to expand on Iaian's main wincons here his ability to sense killing intent and his skill.

As explained on his profile Iaian's abilty to sense killing intent allows him to dodge attacks in advance or predict and block them even if he doesn't have sight of his opponent this extends to his skill as even by limiting himself to only relying on this ability and reflex (and a missing limb)

Now in this fight Iaian doesn't have to limit himself like that so to be blunt, Jaune shouldn't even be able to land a blow on him or barely at all, and it wouldn't matter much since Iaian still has the durability advantage and armor.

That isn't a minor skill advantage, it's a considerable one and in a fight where both swordsmen are relatively even in AP (with Iaian having the advantage in this regard) it's absolutely what makes the difference.

Iaian literally does the same, he pretty much takes on a leader role when fighting with his fellow disciples and is the one giving directions to determine the best course of action:

Hell given his AP advantage he might decide it's convenient to destroy his weapon like against the Narinki Mercs rather early into the fight...

Destroying Jaune's weapon wouldnt work, its coated in his Aura, hed have to break his aura first before he can damage crocea mors

Didn't Iaian get giga ****** off blitz and stat stomped there? That'd be like discrediting Batman's skill because Darkseid could punch his ******* arm off 🗿

I mean he has the AP advantage and his stamina is insane so he eventually will destroy it anyway...
Insane to what degree? Jaune in this key can fight nonstop for a full day without resting and his aura reserves are higher than almost anyone in the series on top of him.being able to actively heal his own aura with a thought

Also I'm curious now, can I see where it was accepted that fighting with your vision obscured by sensing your surroundings is considered AP? Because a lot of RWBY characters would have that by virtue of Adam, Fox, and Maria existing...

Edit: a lot of soulsborne characters would have it too lol

Last edited:
Personally I think I’m gonna vote Jaune here as well.

From what I understand the AP difference is only that of 2x taking Jaune’s high scaling chain into account, add in the fact that Jaune has a protective aura, armor, and a shield on top of that and I think the difference is pretty minimal in terms of doing damage to Jaune. Jaune can also amp himself as well, mitigating the difference even further.

Jaune’s also a pretty skilled fighter in his own right, really developing from his beacon days and Iian being down one arm only hinders him in the battle. So I think Jaune can eventually outlast and overwhelm him in the end.

Personally I think I’m gonna vote Jaune here as well.

From what I understand the AP difference is only that of 2x taking Jaune’s high scaling chain into account, add in the fact that Jaune has a protective aura, armor, and a shield on top of that and I think the difference is pretty minimal in terms of doing damage to Jaune. Jaune can also amp himself as well, mitigating the difference even further.
from what i can tell
Iaian > Lightning Genji = Grizzly Nyah's children > Genos (can't tell what key since it doesn't say but i believe he himself is already above 65.12 Kilotons)
vs
Jaune >(oneshot) 29.12 Kilotons
AP difference will likely be notable, but it'll still take him a hot minute to wear down Jaune's aura, you're right

Jaune’s also a pretty skilled fighter in his own right, really developing from his beacon days and Iian being down one arm only hinders him in the battle.
this iaian actually has 2 arms

Also I'm curious now, can I see where it was accepted that fighting with your vision obscured by sensing your surroundings is considered AP? Because a lot of RWBY characters would have that by virtue of Adam, Fox, and Maria existing...
the scan on iaian's page explicitly says they predict the strands, it's not just from being able to fight with your eyes closed

1. a x2 amp is still weaker than Ian regardless, and that's not even considering Ian's colossal advantage in skill and experience, and it also doesn't enhance Jaune's AP so he's gonna have a hard time cutting through Ian's armor regardless
It absolutely does increase his AP since Aura can be used to amplify strikes, and by Amping Weiss, the latter was able to spear Hazel with a Summon, despite Hazel still having Aura and being Low 7B. Of course, im lowballing it here to only be 2x increase, but ~60AP vs 69AP isnt exactly the biggest difference here, and the multiplier is likely even greater.
2. Ian can do the exact same thing but better. Jaune being able to deduce Ian's weaknesses only works when he can actually do something to exploit it, which he can't. Deducing the weaknesses of large animals pales in comparison to fighting a trained swordsman with decades of exp who can just paralyze you instantly with killing intent
The killing intent is minor since its only stated to work on normal monsters, likely being basic fodder monsters such as Wolf or Tiger class demons which can be handled by C and B class heroes respectively. Jaune isn't exactly on the level of basic fodder enemies here
3. Jaune doesn't have gravity shield in this Key, that's Atlas Jaune. This is Post Haven Jaune, who's shield is just a chunk of metal that can make his sword more deadly when sheathed
4. Read point 3
Fair enough with the Gravity Shield, but the hypothetical scenario i made up was mainly to point out that between his aura and his leadership skills, Jaune could come up with a way to defeat the swordsman long enough to defeat him. The scenario isnt mean to be taken at face value here, but its no suprise you did considering this next part...
There's really nothing Jaune in this key can do against Ian to catch him off guard due to Ian's anal predict plus general superior experience and intelligence. Unlike most of the cast, Jaune's aura doesn't help him fight at all besides enhance his stamina, something Ian also has plenty of. At the end of the day Jaune's just a dude with a sword and shield, which isn't anything Ian hasn't seen before. If Jaune sheathes Crocea Mors into its double handed sword variant, he's even more screwed cuz he loses a lot of defense for slower offense that Ian can counter really easily.
I'm sorry but **** no... Jaune isn't some dude with a sword and shield and Aura isn't just a forcefield that fuels a superpower, it has a lot of capabilities beyond those two factors. If anything, Iaian's just the normal, if highly skilled, knight who hasn't exactly fought against warriors with naturally generating forcefields and super powers before. Iaian might be skilled, but between his Aura and stamina Jaune just wins the war of attrition.

As explained on his profile Iaian's abilty to sense killing intent allows him to dodge attacks in advance or predict and block them even if he doesn't have sight of his opponent this extends to his skill as even by limiting himself to only relying on this ability and reflex (and a missing limb)

Now in this fight Iaian doesn't have to limit himself like that so to be blunt, Jaune shouldn't even be able to land a blow on him or barely at all, and it wouldn't matter much since Iaian still has the durability advantage and armor.
While your not exacty wrong regarding Iaian's abilities, stating that Jaune can't even hit him is a bit capricious. As both characters fight in melee and speed is equalized here, its quite likely that Jaune will be able to hit Iaian quite a few times, since even with the ability to predict attacks and move your body instinctively, it doesn't mean Iaian will block or dodge every sword strike. Sure, Jaune will likely hit Iaian less than Iaian will hit Jaune, but between his shield and his Aura, Iaian will have a much tougher time getting through Jaune's defensive options before Iaian suffers from any hits he could take. Also Jaune wears armour as well, so even if we do factor in armour here its not like either character is lacking in this regard. Also Jaune can amp his AP, so he could probably match Iaian's durability.

That isn't a minor skill advantage, it's a considerable one and in a fight where both swordsmen are relatively even in AP (with Iaian having the advantage in this regard) it's absolutely what makes the difference.
Iaian's definetely superior in skill, but Jaune is superior in defence, the fight can't just be decided in a few strikes. Also Jaune can AMP his AP to match Iaian's, which can be done by either simply channeling his Aura or using his Aura Amp Semblance.
Iaian literally does the same, he pretty much takes on a leader role when fighting with his fellow disciples and is the one giving directions to determine the best course of action:
Fair enough, but the leadership aspect isnt exactly what I was focusing on, its more to do with Jaune's ability to identify enemy weakpoints and use what resources has to win a battle.
Hell given his AP advantage he might decide it's convenient to destroy his weapon like against the Narinki Mercs rather early into the fight...
Fair enough, that could be a possible wincon, but I do think Aura help's to protect the weapon as Weekly mentioned (since weapons can channel Aura as well). Also Jaune can still amplify his AP so he could probably match or surpass Iaian's strenght.

It absolutely does increase his AP since Aura can be used to amplify strikes, and by Amping Weiss, the latter was able to spear Hazel with a Summon, despite Hazel still having Aura and being Low 7B. Of course, im lowballing it here to only be 2x increase, but ~60AP vs 69AP isnt exactly the biggest difference here, and the multiplier is likely even greater.

The killing intent is minor since its only stated to work on normal monsters, likely being basic fodder monsters such as Wolf or Tiger class demons which can be handled by C and B class heroes respectively. Jaune isn't exactly on the level of basic fodder enemies here

Fair enough with the Gravity Shield, but the hypothetical scenario i made up was mainly to point out that between his aura and his leadership skills, Jaune could come up with a way to defeat the swordsman long enough to defeat him. The scenario isnt mean to be taken at face value here, but its no suprise you did considering this next part...

I'm sorry but **** no... Jaune isn't some dude with a sword and shield and Aura isn't just a forcefield that fuels a superpower, it has a lot of capabilities beyond those two factors. If anything, Iaian's just the normal, if highly skilled, knight who hasn't exactly fought against warriors with naturally generating forcefields and super powers before. Iaian might be skilled, but between his Aura and stamina Jaune just wins the war of attrition.

While your not exacty wrong regarding Iaian's abilities, stating that Jaune can't even hit him is a bit capricious. As both characters fight in melee and speed is equalized here, its quite likely that Jaune will be able to hit Iaian quite a few times, since even with the ability to predict attacks and move your body instinctively, it doesn't mean Iaian will block or dodge every sword strike. Sure, Jaune will likely hit Iaian less than Iaian will hit Jaune, but between his shield and his Aura, Iaian will have a much tougher time getting through Jaune's defensive options before Iaian suffers from any hits he could take. Also Jaune wears armour as well, so even if we do factor in armour here its not like either character is lacking in this regard. Also Jaune can amp his AP, so he could probably match Iaian's durability.

Iaian's definetely superior in skill, but Jaune is superior in defence, the fight can't just be decided in a few strikes. Also Jaune can AMP his AP to match Iaian's, which can be done by either simply channeling his Aura or using his Aura Amp Semblance.

Fair enough, but the leadership aspect isnt exactly what I was focusing on, its more to do with Jaune's ability to identify enemy weakpoints and use what resources has to win a battle.

Fair enough, that could be a possible wincon, but I do think Aura help's to protect the weapon as Weekly mentioned (since weapons can channel Aura as well). Also Jaune can still amplify his AP so he could probably match or surpass Iaian's strenght.
1. Weiss's summons are stronger than she is normally. No other character in RWBY has use aura alone to increase their attack potency without help from their semblance.
2. Strength and Will are not one and the same. Jaune doesn't have Indomitable Will or Supernatural Willpower/ Just because he's stronger than most fodder monsters doesn't mean he magically gains resistance to it
3. yeah
4. Jaune is an objectively dogshit swordfighter compared to Ian, so much so that Ian's gonna be raining down blows on him while Jaune can barely defend himself. Sure Jaune's aura is better than most other people's, but if Ian's gonna be hammering away at it repeatedly with his vastly superior skill and faster swordmanship, Jaune's gonna get whittled down while Ian will be barely worse for wear.
When I say faster swordmanship, btw, I mean that Ian's fighting style is specifically meant to deal several fast aggressive blows in succession, something Jaune doesn't have much experience guarding against nor can he really emulate, hence why I say Ian's attack speed is faster. His weapon and fighting style are lighter and faster than Jaune's, so he will be attacking faster. Jaune can't really do anything back since everything he does can just get blocked. Ian's sword skill should be comparable if not slightly inferior to his Monster Association key, who can react to danmaku-level attacks from all directions for a brief period of time with his eyes closed. There's no way Jaune can land a blow easily since he's not gonna be able to catch him off guard due to lack of skill and Ian's anal prediction, not to mention he's gonna be too busy trying to deal with Ian's more aggressive fighting style to land blows of his own most of the time
5. Read #4. Ian's anal predict and instinctive reaction plus aggressive, fast fighting style means that Jaune will not even have a window of opportunity to land a blow, and even if he does, Ian has a more than high chance to dodge or block it. Jaune can't do the same in return
6. Ian's AP advantage will drain Jaune's aura faster than most other characters. In most battles in RWBY, people who have relatively equal stats with each other can drain each others's aura pretty quickly. Take Weiss vs Flynt for example. Or Rusted Knight Jaune vs Neocat. There are probably others I don't remember off the top of my head. Heck, Yang and Blake both got their auras broken rather quickly by Adam who at the time wasn't much stronger than the 2 of them individually. Ian has a x3 AP advantage right off the bat, so it's safe to say that Jaune's not really gonna last very long, even with his higher aura reserves
7. Identifying the weak point of a big ass scorpion with animalistic intelligence is a lot harder than analyzing a trained swordsman who vastly outskills you
8. He still doesn't have the AP advantage so no that's not how it works

I mean he has the AP advantage and his stamina is insane so he eventually will destroy it anyway...
Yeah, after like few dozen attacks and the AP gap isn't that big, Jaune has became skilled enough to actually keep up with his friends after over a year of training since BoS, so he can definitely hold his own and can amp his own aura if he is low

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back