• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Non Canon Profiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonmasterxyz

VS Battles
FC/OC VS Battles
Retired
I think this is something that needa to be addressed. While this is something that has been a thing for a bit now, ever since that Horrible Smash thread (tail end), has been a heavily argued topic. Even after many Staff members disagreed wirh them (Multiple admins and 2 bureaucrats) it is still being argued. At this point it's getting annoying. So we need to decide how to handle these characters as well as set clear regulations to stop this from happening.

If this is a case like "Legends" Star Wars and "Disney" Star Wars, could not just seperate profiles be made? If they exist as published characters, they have a place in this wikia.

While I ideally I would LIKE non canon profiles, it would just be far too much of a headache to keep track for all of us and god forbid the staff that actually have to go and calc and measure up their profiles and everything.

Two options:

1. Create a new profile for those chars, while clarifying their ratings don't affect the canon version at all.

2. Separate them with keys.

I prefer the first option, since many non-canon versions of characters have several keys, and that'd make the page too big.

I say make seperate profiles for them and specify that they are non canon. If someone wants to make such profiles then they should be able to.

But if this thing gets accepted and 2-C Smash character becomes a thing...Im ALL FOR it if my Waifu WiiFit Trainer becomes 2-C Yoga Goddess.

AquaWaifu said:
But if this thing gets accepted and 2-C Smash character becomes a thing...Im ALL FOR it if my Waifu WiiFit Trainer becomes 2-C Yoga Goddess.
Azathoth and multiple Admins rejected this, i hope 2-C Smash is not mentioned again.

AquaWaifu said:
It would never become a thing. Ever heard of outliers? It doesn't matter if Smash is non-canon. Everyone in it being Low 2-C is the worst possible scaling the entire wiki has ever seen.

The Smash Controversy started not because they are non-canon, but because people were abusing their non-canon nature to pretend that they didn't possess outliers. Which is not the case.

Non-Canon Dragon Ball also has this, with fans using the shield of "Non-Canon" to scale everyone to the highest, most absurd heights.

Plus, there is no reason not to create non-canon profiles other than stuff like "It's against our regulations to do so". Then you skim through all 3 rule pages to find absolutely nothing addressing this.

Non-Canon or not, there is 0 reason to have Xenoverse Goku. It's no different from giving Anime-versions of the HST profiles.

However, plenty of alternate-canon versions are distinct enough to warrant profiles.

It just depends.

If, say, a character has a non-canon movie where the only difference is a few new abilities/a higher rating, then it's not really going to be acceptable. Since it's pretty much a copy of the original but higher stats. Hell, it's why we don't do Anime Goku.

But things like the MCU or GT where there is an entire universe almost comparable to the original, with a different story, stats and such, then denying it is pretty silly.

Dragonmasterxyz said:
Things got real...horrible after Xenoverse Goku was denied...
To be honest Xenoverse Goku was pretty much a copy-paste of Goku with higher stats unlike Xeno Goku. So I think it isn't about non-canonicity as much as being unnecessary.

Heroes and Xenoverse Goku are both 2-B, but Heroes Goku has more stuff than the latter.

Shin Budokai Janemba has a profile despite not being any different from Canon Janemba when it comes to personality, so our stance on this issue is pretty much all over the place.

Matt tells it like it should be.

Obviously, Entirely Non-Canon characters should be allowed to have profiles, but should refrain to avoid scaling from to or from the actual canon characters.

As for non-canon versions of canon characters; I agree that seperate profile would be better. Then again, that doesn't mean we should create a non-canon profile for every non-canon incarnation. I too don't think we need a Smash Profile for every Nintendo character being Low 2-C. So yeah, I don't think we should give separate profiles for crossover versions. Same with Fire Emblem Warriors versions of every Fire Emblem character. SMT Dante, seems like he's just a cameo, so I suppose he's alright. Speaking of which, I should probably remove The Arbiter (Thel 'Vadam)'s 7-C key.

And as for people having separate profiles for non canon versions in general, they should only be allowed in case by case scenarios. I'm alright with GT Goku and the others, since they're relatively popular and connect with other non-canon animated media. I'm also fine with ESU Star Wars, since that's a big franchise in itself. But I don't think obscure spin offs or short lived non-canon material for seperate profiles or keys. For example, I do know of someone who wants to make a Non-Canon Master Chief scaling from the Odd One Out feats; but I think that's too short lived to warrant non canon profiles for canon characters.

"SMT Dante, seems like he's just a cameo"

>SMT Dante >Just a cameo

Please, tell me, in what world is a character who appears in unskippable cutscenes, is involved in an unskippable boss-fight, has a role in the main plot, is required to be fought a second time in order to unlock the True Ending, can become a member of your party, and is implied to participate in the final battle between Lucifer and YHVH, just a cameo.

Also he has an entire section dedicated to him in the official SMT: Nocturne Guidebook.

@Matt, I meant he's got little to no relation to his DMC counter part. I'm not too familiar with that SMT game, but if he's an important part of the SMT story, then his 2-A rating is fine. All I meant to say is all.

SMTN Dante being just a cameo made me a chuckle a little.

Also, we should definitely not base ourselves in the popularity of a franchise. Dragon Ball Super characters are obviously going to get a profile quicker than obscure verses, but popularity means zero when it comes to actually creating profiles, be it a non-canon one or not.

And using the lifespan of a non-canon series as an argument also feels pretty wrong.

Dark649 said:
I will do so since i'm not going to give Geese and Noctis a Tekken key or Spiderman a MVC key.
Jokes aside, but isn't Tekken Akuma implied to be literally Street Fighter Akuma? I mean, he did come from another world, after all.

I am ok with non-canon profiles, but they should either have separate keys or intirely different pages so people don't get confused.

Because if we purge them, we will purge more than a thousand pages, and I am sure nobody wants that. Plus the idea is the grow, not to shrink.

Matthew Schroeder said:
Jokes aside, but isn't Tekken Akuma implied to be literally Street Fighter Akuma? I mean, he did come from another world, after all.
Nope, this Akuma has different backstory and his main events are different especially since i think he did not survived his last battle with Kazuya, a fitting end for this version like the other one in Asura Wrath where he remained petrified for a lot of time while fighting Asura and then got punched by him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back