• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Non Canon Profiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. Non-canon should be moved to profiles alone.

Adding more Keys to the main continuity of said character would make things a bit messier.

Just like Arale, her DBS Key comes from a crossover>>>therefore Non-Canon to neither of Dr. Slump or DB continuity.

Arale should have seperate profiles for Doctor Slump and Dragon Ball; and the Dragon Ball one may or may not have separate keys for DB and DBS respectively.

Kepekley23 said:
Shin Budokai Janemba has a profile despite not being any different from Canon Janemba when it comes to personality, so our stance on this issue is pretty much all over the place.

Matt tells it like it should be.
Bumping because it brings up an important factor.

Kepekley23 said:
Kepekley23 said:
Shin Budokai Janemba has a profile despite not being any different from Canon Janemba when it comes to personality, so our stance on this issue is pretty much all over the place.

Matt tells it like it should be.
Bumping because it brings up an important factor.
I don't get what you want of me.

Am I misunderstanding, or have exceptions to this rule already been made regarding Dragon Ball (Super)? And if so, on what basis? Appeal to popularity? I've heard it's there for size purposes, but haven't some said we want to avoid excessive profiles for 1 character?

Also, if we are going to change the rules about non-canon allowance, we should probably come up with a solid set of prerequisites to list for alloance of non-canon content, right?

I'm not sure I see the difference between the old & new prerequisities if the new ones are "Differences must be greater than different tier & some difference in abilities". (Admittedly, while I like the idea of new scaling & use of unused feats & whatnot, I can see the issue some have with maxing excess profiles/keys.)

Also, how would our new rules compare with our current rules on "filler" in anime, which many consider canon neither to the anime or the source material?

SB Janemba is quite different from FR Janemba. Even deeper plot than just the FR movie + more hax (though he was stated to be as strong in the game as he was in the movie).

I'm pretty sure the creator of Shin Budokai Janemba said he was identical to Canon Janemba.

Except not in stats and events/what caused, they are not the same sans for personality.

Which goes against what is being proposed. He is pretty much the same character with more hax

What about Games like INfamous, where it's Karma and Decisions, and a different ending rather than Game?

Canon and non canon profiles should be separate. Simple as that. No need to outlaw non canon profiles.

Also, filler is canon to the anime if it is not contradicted later one, which is hardly ever the case.

I'm pretty sure the Wiki doesn't use filler at all for Canon profiles.

Reread what I said. I know we don't use filler. We don't need to either, since we use the manga. That doesn't mean, that filler characters are ineligible for profiles.

Fhfhghghg said:
I'm pretty sure the Wiki doesn't use filler at all for Canon profiles.
Yeah, when it comes to manga with anime adaptations that have filler.

But Toei Dragon Ball Z Filler counts for GT / Toeiverse.

Sera Loveheart said:
Reread what I said. I know we don't use filler. We don't need to either, since we use the manga. That doesn't mean, that filler characters are ineligible for profiles.
Sorry, i read it as manga before.

I think non-canon profiles should only be a thing if they are distinctly different from their canon counterparts. If it's just a copypasta of the original profile with say, 1 or 2 new abilities or just a shift in tier, it's pretty much just a waste of everyone's time.

Like if GT Goku wasn't called Goku, and didn't continue where Z left off, he'd be an entirely new character. Plot, characters, and power levels all differ in GT, they deserve their own profiles.

What about Composite Game profiles, to make it "less of a headache on the staff" and for indexing purposes. Even I think it's redundant to separate characters based on, for example, specific videogames if they have weird feats and new stories in them. Then, to give an example, we get Xenoverse Goku with all that hax from his incarnations in Heroes (dropping Meteors with space time Manipulation, SS4 via being a composite of Xeno Goku, any other abscure shit they can do in the games), which makes him NOT a copy paste job. We can discuss whether or not 2-C smash is consistent later. At best, it seems like it would "save space" by putting everything from every game in 1 profile so long as they demonstrate unique abilities, maybe even feats that are Massively divergent from the original (this one can be contested if you'd like), regardless of whether or not they're Canon.

"If they exist as published characters, they have a place in this wikia." My manz up top is right.

Copypasta or not, this is an INDEXING cite. There's no reason why the illustrious Vs Battle Wiki should have people who know of niche Non-canon information be the one to ask a question in the QnA forum about 'how strong is Itachi from the videogames'. Seems like it failed to do its job of being a catalogue of the combat capabilities of fictional characters, huh? And, well, I really don't get why people are aversed to copy pastas with small differences when they take no effort to make on that basis. It seems like complaining about something that doesn't really do any harm-- "Look at how many Non-canon profiles of characters we have!" "That's stupid!" And my response would be, "I didn't know Dante appeared in SMT nocturne. I got the version where Raido Kuzunoha replaced him. You know, the newer releases of the game that cut him out (possibly for legal purposes, probably?)."

I feel, if the wiki can get people to get the last reaction, it did its job. I really understand the IDEA of stressing workload, and I greatly sympathize with Ant and everyone who tries so hard to work here, but I don't understand how having Non-canon profiles correlate to a MASSIVE and unsustainable increase in workload? I mean, managing more Vs Threads and discussions and stuff in general sounds like a lot, but, not more than anything else that would make the wiki bigger-- I mean, is there an actual cap to how many verses are allowed on the wiki?

I mean, I am NOT staff, nor do I know what the schedules of Ant and the others are. BUT, with this situation specifically, I don't understand the argument against Non-canon profiles as it relates to them "being a Hassle," "adding too much", or generally being combersome, because

A. We have a search bar, so, IF WE IGNORE THE THREADS related to the profiles for a second, all we have to do is search it up. It's not like the wiki has a finite amount of pages that can be made. Right...?

B. What else would really be added in terms of work load that makes it SO SIGNIFICANT that it's out of the question to add Non-canon profiles. I get that it's redundant to have different Incarnations of a character with NO differences at all, and I could at least understand why we don't have Luffy x Toriko X Goku pages, and I can see how that bleeds over into other things, but I don't see why we can't have composite videogame profiles or composite Non-canon profiles for indexing purposes alone, even if its copy pastas abilities wise. So long as the stats are different, it shouldn't be a problem, because information. If we wanted to cut down on the profiles just because, we could just make verse pages for the videogames and have it list blogs compiling the best and most relevant feats for the relevant characters, but I really don't see any explosions of flaming, hate, or anything bad coming from obscure shit. At best, people would just use 2-B Gokupotence for catharsis, and that's ok, so long as rules are being followed beyond that.

I agree with having non-canon profiles, as long as they are from licensed products. This way, I could add many more Star Trek characters, for instance, that are popular in VS battles, as well as other from other franchises.

I fail to see the "workload" problem when the page count already goes up by the day, it'd just be a specific addition to the already increasing list of pages.

I'm okay with whatever is the result, however, how would the new rules be written as?

Ohhh thank GOD. This wiki is gonna be extra interesting for me then. Lol, no one is gonna use Canon Goku anymore if we get the composite VIDEOGAME boi!

I do not even want to imagine the Naruto Storm Clusterfuck. Chunin Exam Naruto has feats up there with Shukaku and Gamabunta from sheer Physical Power. I am going to enjoy seing that storm xD

Don't go to the other end of the spectrum, Amexim. Obviously this won't be a "Anything goes" scenario. We still have to have standards. And frankly the ones we currently have are good.

And of course, this won't mean we can't include anime-only material in canon profiles, nor make profiles for major characters from canon employing their feats from non-canon, correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back