• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

New Ability - Trap Master (Open to new names)

Note that there is no ability to build traps,
and some who do receive Preparation, which although at first glance it's right, sometimes you do in the middle of the fight, and this no longer should also be considered (example: Sonosuke Izayoi) others who can build traps but just don't have anything with it (example: Team Rocket Trio) or regain Weapons mastery (example: Fred).

Trap Master refers to the ability to create and manipulate traps of one or more types with great skill. Generally manufactured before combat or during combat after hiding momentarily in the middle of combat to be able to manufacture them.

I made a Sandbox for this ability,although it does not have a gif because I do not know them.
That's about it, the Blog covers the Power and there's not a huge amount more to mention...

Last edited:
Note that there is no ability to build traps,
and some who do receive Preparation, which although at first glance it's right, sometimes you do in the middle of the fight, and this no longer should also be considered (example: Sonosuke Izayoi) others who can build traps but just don't have anything with it (example: Team Rocket Trio) or regain Weapons mastery (example: Fred).

Trap Master refers to the ability to create and manipulate traps of one or more types with great skill. Generally manufactured before combat or during combat after hiding momentarily in the middle of combat to be able to manufacture them.
Redundant

Preparation= A character's ability to increase their capabilities significantly. Generally in the presence of sufficient time, resources and conditions.

Trap Master= Trap Master refers to the ability to create and manipulate traps of one or more types with great skill. Generally manufactured before combat or during combat after hiding momentarily in the middle of combat to be able to manufacture them.

TYPES
Preparation=
  • Education - Character can significantly increase the intellectual level in a short amount of time. The increase to their knowledge might be prove useful in the battle, for example: inventing of new techniques or styles of combat.
  • Evolution - Character can evolve fast enough to increase attack, defense, speed or acquire new skills, or adapt to various external influences. The difference in strength between base form and evolved form must be significant.
  • Technological Preparation - Character in regular state does not have much power, but with time and materials, is capable of creating artifacts of a much higher tier.
  • Information Preparation - Character normally does not have great power, but gathers the necessary information which allows drastic self-empowering.
Trap Master=
  • Capture: Catch or immobilize characters or objects
  • Damage: Made to damage the enemy either just by activating or with an action expected from the enemy
  • Induction of states: Sleep, paralysis, blind, poison, illusions, among others.
  • Trick: make someone believe something based on a trap
LIMITATIONS
Trap Master=
  • The ability of Precognition and Clairvoyance, often render this ability useless
  • The ability Enhanced Senses makes it harder for the ability Trap Master to take effect
  • Often traps may be used against them, especially by other Trap Master

I remember a power like this has been brought up in the past iirc. I'm not sure whether it ever concluded though.
I'm neutral on this for now. I believe it could be it's own power, I also wouldn't be opposed to it being added as a note in Preparation.

The Name could use some work I’d say
I couldn't think of anything besides Traps Master and Traps Mastery (I've never been good with names)
I also wouldn't be opposed to it being added as a note in Preparation.
My problem with it is the fact that the cheats can also be done at the same moment (I did not put it anywhere, but possibly Ladibug would be a good example of a trap made at the moment)

Last edited:
I agree this to be an ability. Whether in Preparation or its own thing, I know several characters (The Riddler) that would benefit from this.

It should definitely be an ability but whether to put it under prep or as it's own thing I'll leave for staff input

(I did not put it anywhere, but possibly Ladibug would be a good example of a trap made at the moment)
Pretty much. Qualifying what she does in at most five minutes in middle of a fight as "Preparation" seems rather incorrect. Hence why I don’t oppose to the ability on it's own.

It should definitely be an ability but whether to put it under prep or as it's own thing I'll leave for staff input
I think it should be a own thing because many characters can use it in middle of a fight, but it's true that some sort of mention of the relation between the two should be write.

It would be something apart due to the limitations, and partly because of the uses

In addition, as already said above, cases like Ladybug simply would not fit in construction or preparation.

Construction includes the construction of basically any kind of structure, regardless of its purpose. That would include the construction of traps. And making use of something you constructed alone is not grounds for an ability.
It just seems like a subtype of construction or more generally just something you could do with various other abilities or even no abilities at all. Basically, intelligence + abilities that allows construction of a trap.

Basically, it's not separate enough to require its own ability to get listed (instead of described in intelligence or tactics sections) and not prominent enough to need an exception IMO.

Construction includes the construction of basically any kind of structure, regardless of its purpose. That would include the construction of traps. And making use of something you constructed alone is not grounds for an ability.
Yes and no, obviously the construction of traps is related to the Construction, but the difference is the scale, almost all the construction profile speaks on a large scale at a great speed.
Trap Master is not only the construction and use of weapons, but also the ability to create traps based on the stage. A much said example in this thread is Ladybug, who uses objects from the stage to achieve his ends, or Sonosuke Izayoi on the other hand makes a lot of traps in his fight against Seiko that are not considered construction in his profile (Just Preparation that being honest ... it's weird considering that I did it in the middle of the fight and at a good speed)
Basically, it's not separate enough to require its own ability to get listed (instead of described in intelligence or tactics sections) and not prominent enough to need an exception IMO.
Both Preparation, Weapons Mastery, Martials Arts, Analysis Information, among others are usually described in the intelligence zone (in the case of weapons mastery it is mandatory to mention it according to its same page) so it can be both a skill and be described in intelligence and tactics.

And being the combination or being possible with other skills depends on the case, for example Memory manipulation makes it clear that it can be done through empathic, mental, biological, electrical or data manipulation
Mind manipulation is associated with telepathy and mind reading.
the types of Status effect inducement connect directly to other abilities.
In their cases they are justified because they are not simply part of other profiles, and I think Trap Master can also be justified enough to be a separate skill.

Extra: In the blog add that it would be mandatory to put what is related to Trap master in Intelligence or Tactics section based on your comment

The problem is, this abilities is a mixed of many subskill in other abilities ranging from Weapon Creation, Weapon Mastery to Creation and Preparation depend on what kind of trap character make. Sometime Sealing could even be a kind of Trap depend on the description of the sealing itself

Creation and Weapon Creation has nothing to do with Trap Master, since those 2 refer to the creation of objects basically from nothing.
Weapon Mastery: And that's why you have to have a point where they are no longer Mastery of weapons, my best example is Fred (Scooby Doo Cartoon) who mentions mastery of traps and marksmanship, but has Weapon Mastery, since he had no other option.

For Preparation it is the same, preparation is completely before the battle, Trap Master can be during the battle, however, it is true that the most probable thing is that most of those who have mastery in traps obtain preparation, but this case happens also between construction and preparation, or with Status effect inducement with Curse Manipulation, Ice Manipulation, Mind Manipulation, Empathic Manipulation, Paralysis Inducement, Petrification, Poison Manipulation, Sleep Manipulation, Statistics Reduction, Time Manipulation and Transmutation.

On the side of sealing you caught me, I would not know how to separate them, you want it to be a rule that sealing does not count as domain in traps

Trap can be considered as weapon in a sense, so if you created a trap it is still weapon creation, and if you created somekind of physical, material trap it can be considered as Creation

Trap can be considered as weapon in a sense, so if you created a trap it is still weapon creation, and if you created somekind of physical, material trap it can be considered as Creation
Creation is as its name says creation, but this is its definition in this wiki:
The ability to create anything from nothing.
"Creation" does not care if you are a weapon, a trap (for the moment I will continue to treat them separately) or a rubber duck.

Weapon creation is basically a more specific version of creation, but these can be created from scratch, energy, magic etc.

The reason why Trap Master is compared to construction is because the ability to create objects is never mentioned, but rather to build or use existing objects.
For example, if Momo Yaoyorozu creates a cage with her power of creation, that would not be trap master, but creation.
Creation and Trap Master would be independent of each other

Before I start with this I want to leave this here

Also add that it is still open to changes if necessary (it does not even have a definitive name yet), it does not have a gif or image, and a type does not have examples, also its definitions are por

Because I think it isn’t:

Creation

Creation is creation (duh), it refers to creating objects from nothing, and this ability is independent of Weapon Mastery, Preparation and / or construction

Weapon Creation

Again it is an independent ability to Trap master, this refers to the creation of weapons from nothing, energy, magic, or from parts of his body. The difference is in creating.

Weapon Mastery

Although in the first instance the handling of cheats could fall here, I see a problem, the summary of the skill

"Weapon proficiency refers to the ability to use one or more types of weaponry with greater skill than the average person. This classification can be used for any type of weapon, such as a sword, spear, knife, or pistol."

Although it is a summary, it says that the mastery of weapons is about handling weapons, and mention examples which are ... weapons, now a trap is not always a weapon, sometimes it is a rope, or sometimes it is a domino effect, there are more things than nets or bear hunting traps

Preparation

The 2nd he most resembles

Mentioned several times here, sometimes the characters do their traps in the midst of combat, and mentioned several times Ladybug example being that after his lucky charm most of what he does can not be classified as preparation or construction, as it is just the use of everyday objects effectively.

Construction

The one who most resembles

At this point investigate the thread in which it was accepted and ......

They are more similar than I thought, and I think the only side I can defend myself from is limitations, because in the case of Trap Master there are skills that very effectively counteract this, such as Clairvoyance, Precognition, Instintive Reaction and Enhanced Senses.

Or their specified advantages against unintelligent entities or who get too carried away by their feelings

Because I don't think intelligence matters

We have many skills that are usually put into intelligence (weapon mastery tells you to do it on its own page), among these Preparation, Construction, Martial Arts, Weapon Mastery, analysis information, social influence, hacking, Stealh Mastery or even Genius Intelligence, What is that, being a genius and therefore going to the intelligence section yes or yes

I don’t see it as a skill could be alone in intelligence is a problem

I think that DontTalk and Planck69 are correct. Should we close this thread?

I think that DontTalk and Planck69 are correct. Should we close this thread?
Instead of just closing, I think that its a good idea to add the trap thing in the preparation page, as it is a great example of preparation, like hunters when they hide and create traps to trap animals to eat or something like that, what do you think about this?

I suppose that might be an idea, if somebody skilled and experienced is willing to handle it.

This is how I had more or less thought the page
for any decision made about "Trap Master" please take it into account

Instead of just closing, I think that its a good idea to add the trap thing in the preparation page, as it is a great example of preparation, like hunters when they hide and create traps to trap animals to eat or something like that, what do you think about this?
I suppose that might be an idea, if somebody skilled and experienced is willing to handle it.
So about this...

Back