• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Natsu and Erik's Poison Dragon Slaying

Shouldn't their Poison Dragon Slaying Magic ignore durability? It's been shown to be corrosive by Erik and being capable of constantly weakening a person to death.

Fairy-tail-728854
Fairy-tail-699952
Fairy-tail-728850

Does anyone have scans of Erik's fight with that stone dragon after the grand magic games? I can't remember the dragons name so I'm having a bit of trouble finding it.

A poison being corrosive doesn't really mean that it "ignores durability". It just means that the poison is more potent.

Natsu should get limited poison resistance for being able to withstand and continue fighting against Cobra, despite Cobra's poison being "fatal"

Poison in general is an ability that ignores durability.

And Natsu already has Poison Resistance in 7FDM, unless you're referring to Pre-timeskip Natsu

In order to be as accurate as possible I'll post my thoughts later but I agree with the general idea.

First poison's use is at Ch. 134 against Erza. A direct bite from Cuberios won't instantkill Erza but it's strong enough to prevent Erza from fighting (Ch. 135).

In Ch. 149 Cobra shown his corrosive poison against Natsu. In 150 Cobra states his poison decays all that touches. After that he showed himself capable of eat Cubelios's Poison and used his breath attack against Natsu affecting both Natsu and Happy afterwards. Even Cobra accomplished Natsu and Happy's resistance to keep moving even being poisoned. But after that Natsu was unmobile and he even let him fall with no resistance and winning by a scream rather than a movement.

Conclusion: Cobra's poison is corrosive but it isn't that much. I didn't found any scan of said corrosion in anything but Natsu and it wasn't that good. So Natsu won't get resistance to corrosion inducement going by this feat because without proofs of Cobra's poison being highly corrosive we can't assume Natsu resisted it if he was clearly affected. A statement alone can't upgrade the power of the corrosion since it could be hyperbolic.

And with the poison itself I think Natsu should get a very limited resistance to poison. Cobra himself stated that his poison was capable of decay everything but with some time. Sure he'll get resistance unlike Erza who was defeated moments after the poison got into her body but the difference relies in the application method. Cuberios bited Erza while Natsu and Happy only breathed poisonous mist.

So Natsu's resistance is there but it isn't that good. Limited Resistance to Poison Manipulation to both Natsu and Happy should be fine.

Limited is what's added to something when there is a condition for it to be active. The resistance would just be normal resistance, it just wouldn't be good resistance.

I haven't read Impel Down's Arc yet so I can't be sure but Damage3245 stated that Magellan's horns had corrosive poison.

Anyway Luffy has Limited Resistance to Corrosion Inducement while he was unscathed by a clear cut on his shoulder made by Crocodile's hook which has a poison that can melt rocks with a simple touch. That's better than Cobra's feat TBH.

This is mentioned in the Resistance page:

For any ability, resistance to that ability can be demonstrated, to varying degrees of effectiveness, ranging from slight and mostly inconsequential to extremely high, potentially completely nullifying those abilities. However, like everything else, resistance has to be judged based on feats.

In this case Natsu shown resistance to poisons that works over time. Erza was directly affected in her vicinity while Natsu breathed the poisonous mist so that would take more time to actually work.

I disagree with giving Natsu resistance to Corrosion Inducement. Cobra's corrosion inducement has nothing but a single statement which could be hyperbole. But I agree with giving Natsu resistance to Poison. But if Limited doesn't fit then we should specify this part:

For any ability, resistance to that ability can be demonstrated, to varying degrees of effectiveness, ranging from slight and mostly inconsequential to extremely high, potentially completely nullifying those abilities

Back