• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Shiki is complex, I can't think of any way of denying this.

But the way Nasu uses and develops this complexity is the unique thing in KNK. At least in my opinion, she's used not exactly as a protagonist, in a way, even though the story is about her. It's like science fiction using robots to question about humans and humanity. A character that is different enough that it is something apart from humans while being a human - add to that the inherent existential search for meaning of a character that lacks the very "directional impulse" that gives it existence meaning, but somehow was awoken and forced to exist.

Her depth in a certain way is = how deep you allowed itself to question your own existence. How far are you willing to question this "Garden of Sinners" that is human civilization.

Nasu does make some really ??????????? dialogues sometimes, but when you are actually willing to engage with the questions proposed, you can see they are actually very meaningful. The best example of this in my opinion will always be Kokotou & Tohko "licenses and contracts"

KNK is Nasu's open question of "What are Humans? What Humans do?", the story is there to hide it in plain sight. It's expected, given he graduated Human Sciences, in a way.
tbh wasn't nasu being moderated by a team when he was writing masterpieces like tsukihime and garden of sinners?
Both are kinda snorefest materials. Especially DkD. So boring and made solely for battleboarding.
tbh one of the reasons nasuverse is powerful because it is so massive. It is way larger then shinza and umineko combined and draws from a heck load of philosophy and science fiction. If Msada/umineko got to grow bigger as a franchise they would probably surpass nasuverse

It goes beyond that even - Zeus is using said "power" to maintain both the Fantasy Tree and Olympus. So, if Zeus ever go full power, both of these wouldn't have their power source anymore.
I don't believe he maintained the Fantasy Tree, although he was planning to replace it with his own power. All things considered, even the fraction of his might he had available surpassed a Fantasy Tree (35% I believe), considering he planned to maintain Olympus alongside.

Though it's no wonder his projected lifespan was so much shorter than the other Olympains. He was planning on maintaining Olympus and function as a Fantasy Tree (as the keystone maintaining the Lostbelt) at the same time.

tbh wasn't nasu being moderated by a team when he was writing masterpieces like tsukihime and garden of sinners?
Pretty sure not. KNK was released before Type-Moon was even a thing, 1998 or 1999 - IIRC, it was Nasu and Takeuchi alone who did basically everything. What I'm sure is that he wouldn't have had the money to hire any sort of team, though. KNK was the first true work of Nasu, and "the second" at least in conception, as Mahou Tsukai no Yoru was technically first drafted in 1996.

I don't believe he maintained the Fantasy Tree, although he was planning to replace it with his own power. All things considered, even the fraction of his might he had available surpassed a Fantasy Tree (35% I believe), considering he planned to maintain Olympus alongside.
Macarios: And right now, Zeus is using most of his magical energy to keep Olympus and Tree of Emptiness Magellan up and running.
Olympus - Section 9

Though it's no wonder his projected lifespan was so much shorter than the other Olympains. He was planning on maintaining Olympus and function as a Fantasy Tree (as the keystone maintaining the Lostbelt) at the same time.
Yeah. Even if it's said by Kirschtaria that he was using 90% of his ME to keep things running, when he partially powers up it's said his power grew exponentially. So, even if he had 10% of his ME, he had a lot less than 10% of his "destructive power"/fighting capacity.

Oh, yeah, the fact by itself wouldn't make her necessarily complex.
But the choices Nasu made of what would be the consequences of it, and how they were developed in the story I believe are.
Yeah, the way Nasu wrote her with the established facts are what make her a complex and intriguing character.

Olympus - Section 9
Damn, so he still had 10-35% of his power while maintaining all that? Pretty impressive considering a Fantasy Tree operates at the level Qin Shi Huang and Surtur were at even when not fully matured.

Still nothing compared to the chaos of Lostbelt 7, but pretty impressive.

tbh one of the reasons nasuverse is powerful because it is so massive. It is way larger then shinza and umineko combined and draws from a heck load of philosophy and science fiction. If Msada/umineko got to grow bigger as a franchise they would probably surpass nasuverse
Nasuverse is the most mainstream VN verse to my knowledge. And honestly it's for good reason. It had a really strong start that got love from audiences. Umineko isn't too far behind, with it being known as one of the top VNs ever. Dies Irae, and shinza as a whole, is a bit of a weird case though. While it's a classic in Japan, because of not only its shit development process, the fact that it was a commercial flop, and because it was considered the untranslatable VN, it was never really all that mainstream for western audiences.

And it being translated over 10 years after the original release didn't help matters either. K3 is an entirely different story cause that's never getting a translation lmfao.

Nasuverse is the most mainstream VN verse to my knowledge. And honestly it's for good reason. It had a really strong start that got love from audiences. Umineko isn't too far behind, with it being known as one of the top VNs ever. Dies Irae, and shinza as a whole, is a bit of a weird case though. While it's a classic in Japan, because of not only its shit development process, the fact that it was a commercial flop, and because it was considered the untranslatable VN, it was never really all that mainstream for western audiences.

And it being translated over 10 years after the original release didn't help matters either. K3 is an entirely different story cause that's never getting a translation lmfao.
yeah, masadaverse got shafted.

Damn, so he still had 10-35% of his power while maintaining all that? Pretty impressive considering a Fantasy Tree operates at the level Qin Shi Huang and Surtur were at even when not fully matured.
That's what you get when you name and deify functions/parts of a Dyson Sphere.
QSH gained his power, and him Surtur are, in the end, only a part of Earth. It's a question of quality, Zeus is just born different.

How about Ace Attorney? When it come to VN in large audience, it's either Nasuverse or Ace Attorney iirc

That's not at all true and I explained why later. You can't really use development and emotional stuff on an antagonist.
I definitely can though, an antagonist is a character on its own and Johan only fulfills his role as a symbol and lacks complexity in itself.
It is fleshed out. The point is that it does it through more indirect methods by letting us come to that conclusion. The reason they don't go out of their way to make him seem like some tragic character is because he's the main villain of the story. He's supposed to be terrifying, not sad. He becomes sad once you finish it and think about his character. That isn't at all a good argument against him.
That's not entirely true, no. While I agree there is hints of his psychological condition, it is not nealy as fleshed out as Shiki's, so you cannot really argue against that.
Because yes, his primary function is to be a symbol and not a "human" character, so he quite literally lacks psychological depth when compared to a character like Shiki whose conflict basically revolves around psyche and self.
The point is that she has to capture our feelings. We have to care about her because she's the protagonist. Not that has to be super emotional or whatever.
Okay, but that wasn't my point. What I'm telling you is that Shiki has the upper hand in emotional depth and character journey.
That doesn't make much sense. Her having progression in her character as a protagonist shouldn't be a deciding factor over another character who also has that.
It quite literally does though, that's what makes her a character with a lot more substance than Johan. Also being more complex, with a lot more areas explored as a character than Johan does, since his primary function is to be a narrative tool to deliver a symbolic meaning, which Shiki also does by herself in her own work. Essentially, he lacks the "universality" that makes a character a lot more meaningful than a character that just delivers one specific message instead of what is "existence" and "humanity" as a whole.
While KnK goes quite in-depth into Shiki's psyche, I don't think it's a fair comparison to a story fundamentally based on delving into this man's psychology. It's two entirely different playing fields. Addressing psychology to make a layered and complex character and structuring a story specifically about a character's psychology give two different results. Hence why I think Johan is by far the better character.
I understand the first part, but how does that even make Johan "the far better character" ? Because while I can understand preferences based upon different criteria, I still don't see why he would be superior in any way except maybe his narrative impact, so why is that ? From what I've established, Shiki is more complex (concept and psyche at the same time), has more depth, has the better character journey, and can much more play both as a symbolic and "human" character than Johan does.
But I'll just try understanding your argument:

-Johan lacks an emotional core (depth as you put it) while Shiki has plenty
-Shiki has better development as a "human character"

Those were the two main ones apart from some throwaway stuff like how Shiki was more layered (disagree with that) and how she was more complex (definitely disagree with that).

I'll just address them concisely:

-Johan's emotional core isn't supposed to be as blatant because he's the main antagonist of the story and is supposed to be intimidating. It's still there, but not as blatant as with someone like Shiki due to the different roles they play. It's a complete non-factor when comparing different characters.
-Johan's entire journey leads up to him regaining his humanity, and the story itself progresses towards the conclusion that Johan is human like other people. It doesn't develop him in the sense that you can feel a tangible change within Johan, but the perception of Johan from this inhuman monster to something far more human is done in a better manner, just due to the types of characters being dealt with.
As for your first assessment, I can ask you the same question. If they are not comparable on some factors because they are from different works and narratives, why would you compare Johan's role to say he's better than Shiki when they don't even have the same concept ?
This is why I said Shiki has a lot more substance. Because while Johan does really well in delivering a certain message through the symbol he represents (and not as a "human" character) and is the center point of the narrative, that's basically... it. So if these are his only arguments, then you can either choose to not compare and the debate is over, or you admit that Shiki has the upper hand on a lot more factors than he does, because of her "universality" (both in the symbolic and the "human" area).

And, for the second point, this is exactly what I meant by a symbolic way to approach the concept of "regaining humanity". Because, on his own, Johan is just there to deliver this message and not to experience a certain character journey like Shiki does. This is why his conclusion as well as Monster's conclusion as a whole is an empty bed, as the symbolic "Monster" disappeared.

So, all in all, how does that even conclude that he would be the better character ? Because even if I just agreed with you on the functional aspects of your arguments, that doesn't adress how he specifically does things better than Shiki.

Last edited:
Shiki is complex, I can't think of any way of denying this.

But the way Nasu uses and develops this complexity is the unique thing in KNK. At least in my opinion, she's used not exactly as a protagonist, in a way, even though the story is about her. It's like science fiction using robots to question about humans and humanity. A character that is different enough that it is something apart from humans while being a human - add to that the inherent existential search for meaning of a character that lacks the very "directional impulse" that gives it existence meaning, but somehow was awoken and forced to exist.

Her depth in a certain way is = how deep you allowed itself to question your own existence. How far are you willing to question this "Garden of Sinners" that is human civilization.

Nasu does make some really ??????????? dialogues sometimes, but when you are actually willing to engage with the questions proposed, you can see they are actually very meaningful. The best example of this in my opinion will always be Kokotou & Tohko "licenses and contracts"

KNK is Nasu's open question of "What are Humans? What Humans do?", the story is there to hide it in plain sight. It's expected, given he graduated Human Sciences, in a way.
I definitely agree with this, among other factors.

As for your first assessment, I can ask you the same question. If they are not comparable on some factors because they are from different works and narratives, why would you compare Johan's role to say he's better than Shiki when they don't even have the same concept ?
Some people just can't get their head around the idea of personal taste and subjective preferences and will go to awkward places to justify them.

And I never thought it would be so awkward to see my name being written here /laugh

I definitely can though, an antagonist is a character on its own and Johan only fulfills his role as a symbol and lacks complexity in itself.
Well no you can't because that's not what an antagonist is. An antagonist doesn't need to develop or grow. That's a ridiculous misconception when it comes to character writing.

That's not entirely true, no. While I agree there is hints of his psychological condition, it is not nealy as fleshed out as Shiki's, so you cannot really argue against that.
Because yes, his primary function is to be a symbol and not a "human" character, so he quite literally lacks psychological depth when compared to a character like Shiki whose conflict basically revolves around psyche and self.
And like I said, that's just not true at all. It being subtle does not mean it isn't fleshed out because it absolutely is. And yes, Johan is supposed to be a human character. He isn't supposed to appear human at first, and that changes throughout the story. As for psychological depth, you shot yourself in the foot there by arguing that. The entire story of Monster is centered around figuring out the psychological nuances of Johan and specifically his motivations and goals.

Okay, but that wasn't my point. What I'm telling you is that Shiki has the upper hand in emotional depth and character journey.
Neither of which are important for an antagonist to begin with, so this isn't a good argument anyway.

It quite literally does though, that's what makes her a character with a lot more substance than Johan. Also being more complex, with a lot more areas explored as a character than Johan does, since his primary function is to be a narrative tool to deliver a symbolic meaning, which Shiki also does by herself in her own work. Essentially, he lacks the "universality" that makes a character a lot more meaningful than a character that just delivers one specific message instead of what is "existence" and "humanity" as a whole.
It literally shouldn't. Like, it's genuinely stupid to say that an antagonist, regardless of how good they are, need to develop in order to be better or comparable to a character that does develop. That's dumb. I'll give a counter example. Most people who've seen The Dark Knight trilogy would probably agree that the Joker is the best character in the trilogy. It's not hard to see why. Yet he's a character that literally does not develop from beginning to end. We know next to nothing about his backstory, we don't explore his psyche, etc., but he's still put head and shoulders above characters who do have high levels of psychological depth and good development.

As for being more complex, how exactly? She absolutely is complex, but more complex than Johan? I haven't seen anything that would put her above him in that regard.

The whole symbolic thing isn't even true anyway.

I understand the first part, but how does that even make Johan "the far better character" ? Because while I can understand preferences based upon different criteria, I still don't see why he would be superior in any way except maybe his narrative impact, so why is that ? From what I've established, Shiki is more complex (concept and psyche at the same time), has more depth, has the better character journey, and can much more play both as a symbolic and "human" character than Johan does.
I never said he was far better because of that, I'm saying you cannot compare Shiki's psychological depth to Johan's because fundamentally the two stories are built differently. KnK explores her psychology but it isn't a story built around that, unlike Monster.

He is superior in almost every way. You haven't shown why she's more complex in the slightest and even her psychology just seems to be the internal conflict between multiple personalities and her inner conflict between bloodlust and her value of life. That's great and all, but that doesn't really compare...at all.

This is why I said Shiki has a lot more substance. Because while Johan does really well in delivering a certain message through the symbol he represents (and not as a "human" character) and is the center point of the narrative, that's basically... it. So if these are his only arguments, then you can either choose to not compare and the debate is over, or you admit that Shiki has the upper hand on a lot more factors than he does, because of her "universality" (both in the symbolic and the "human" area).
Because half of your comparisons and points to Shiki can't logically apply to Johan because he's an antagonist. There isn't a specific type of antagonist that needs to be there in order for them to be good. And having an emotional core is just absolutely not necessary. Hell, it's better for the audience to not be overly attached to the antagonist because they're the literal antagonist of the story.

Shiki has more emotional depth and better development, but Johan handily takes psychology, complexity, philosophy, and motivation. The center point of Monster isn't that Johan isn't human. At best if you want to talk about his symbolism, he acts as a sort of Mephistopheles character, bringing the worst in people, and driving people into indulging in their temptations, regardless of how amoral they are.

You brought in like one or two factors for shiki and then namedropped other stuff without elaborating at all. I don't have to admit anything lmfao.

And, for the second point, this is exactly what I meant by a symbolic way to approach the concept of "regaining humanity". Because, on his own, Johan is just there to deliver this message and not to experience a certain character journey like Shiki does. This is why his conclusion as well as Monster's conclusion as a whole is an empty bed, as the symbolic "Monster" disappeared.
That's not what Johan's there for, what? Did you read Monster? The empty bed isn't the point. The point of the empty bed is that it's clear that someone existed there, that person being Johan. Johan regains his identity.

So, all in all, how does that even conclude that he would be the better character ? Because even if I just agreed with you on the functional aspects of your arguments, that doesn't adress how he specifically does things better than Shiki.
I literally explained it. He's a more complex character with his ontological insecurity crisis, his complex yet simple motivations, and the story itself depicting what could drive a kid to such nihilism. And the contrast between that and him by the end when he's proven wrong and regains his humanity is done better than her. The devil-like nature, the nihilism, the identity crisis he has, the ontological insecurity, etc. make him a more complex character.

Nobody's changing each other's minds with this, so it's best to just agree to disagree at this point.

Besides, Mercurius is better written than both anyway

image.png

Nah. I thought Ant was better than this ngl. Accusing everyone without evidence and being biased to DT isn't the right way to go tbh. Ultima has contributed greatly to this wiki especially when it comes to the creation of the tiering system. Ant is just treating him like he's a nobody. Not cool at all.

Nah. I thought Ant was better than this ngl. Accusing everyone without evidence and being biased to DT isn't the right way to go tbh. Ultima has contributed greatly to this wiki especially when it comes to the creation of the tiering system. Ant is just treating him like he's a nobody. Not cool at all.
He's a human like the rest of us. Don't blame him for that.

He once tried to close a thread that 10 staff members agreed with just because DT disagreed. I didn't expect him to do anything better

I was actually thinking of something. Maybe someone can answer this for me, but why exactly do we not take into account the natural contradiction to the Root's apophasis being that Shiki, a person who is very likely within description, quite literally is the root? Is there like some external context that changes this?

I was actually thinking of something. Maybe someone can answer this for me, but why exactly do we not take into account the natural contradiction to the Root's apophasis being that Shiki, a person who is very likely within description, quite literally is the root? Is there like some external context that changes this?
Shiki is a weird case tbh.

What makes you think Shiki(void) is within description?

What makes you think Shiki(void) is within description?
Because she quite literally has an identity that can be described, and there is zero implication that I have seen that she doesn't fall under that. You even described her, to paraphrase, as the personality of the Root, or something akin to that. That itself would further put this into doubt.

Because she quite literally has an identity that can be described, and there is zero implication that I have seen that she doesn't fall under that. You even described her, to paraphrase, as the personality of the Root, or something akin to that. That itself would further put this into doubt.
What exactly makes you think you are describing her correctly? Remember what the root is described as. "Because swirl of the root is called swirl of the Root, it was no longer " ". The same applies to Void. Because void shiki was called void shiki, it was no longer void shiki.

What exactly makes you think you are describing her correctly? Remember what the root is described as. "Because swirl of the root is called swirl of the Root, it was no longer " ". The same applies to Void. Because void shiki was called void shiki, it was no longer void shiki.
Why would that apply to shiki. Her name remains shiki. Nothing about that changed. There isn't really much of an implication that calling her shiki means that it's no longer shiki but something else entirely. I feel that you need some explicit evidence for that, which I doubt actually exists

Why would that apply to shiki. Her name remains shiki. Nothing about that changed. There isn't really much of an implication that calling her shiki means that it's no longer shiki but something else entirely. I feel that you need some explicit evidence for that, which I doubt actually exists
Void Shiki is a made up name. Her void personality is not shiki.

Evidence?
You read the book and watched the movies right? Void Shiki is Akasha. Shiki Ryougi is just a girl with the MEoDP abilities. She has different personalities including the Void personality which is Akasha. But once she becomes Void, she is no longer Shiki. She becomes Void/Nothingness/Akasha.

You read the book and watched the movies right? Void Shiki is Akasha. Shiki Ryougi is just a girl with the MEoDP abilities. She has different personalities including the Void personality which is Akasha. But once she becomes Void, she is no longer Shiki. She becomes Void/Nothingness/Akasha.
The point is that you could describe shiki in a certain way. You could say she has black hair and it would be true. You could say she actually has a description. Hell, the fact that she literally became the root when she wasn't one with it earlier implies that it's not actually beyond all description

The point is that you could describe shiki in a certain way. You could say she has black hair and it would be true. You could say she actually has a description. Hell, the fact that she literally became the root when she wasn't one with it earlier implies that it's not actually beyond all description
Again, Shiki wasn't always the root. Everyone knows that. Once she becomes the root, she became known as Void Shiki. Void Shiki IS the root. Shiki is merely a vessel. The person that was talking to Mikiya at the epilogue wasn't Shiki. That was Void. That one is beyond description. Whatever you see or you're able to describe is always going to be wrong. Void probably allowed itself to be seen for us to understand. After all, it can do anything. Even the impossible.

Back