• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Nah he just can't draw.

I mean the character designs can be good. But the art itself is.....honestly pretty bad for a monthly. And this is not even from a powerscaling POV. His anatomy is frequently bad. And his art is very very simple most of the time. The artstyle itself is also too Jojo-like for the verse but that's a subjective issue.

Don't take the "he can't draw" statement too literally tho. What I mean is that with his level of skill, he wouldn't have survived in Shueisha if he didn't get this franchise handed to him.

Realistic Anatomy isnt a sign of good or bad art, Araki alone should tell you this, let alone some of the most culturally significant and influential comics that influenced people like Tezuka the god father of manga himself. a lot of these you can call ugly myself included but they not objectively bad for not appealing to whats conventionally "nice looking art"

Nor do i think theres any meaningful way to say whether or not Ikemoto would survive given we never got a a weekly solo manga from Ikemoto
nor do i think its a fair comparison to compare a nearly 50 year old man who even prior to Boruto had spent 15 years on naruto on a week to week basis drawing backgrounds, including some of the most celebrated in the series, nor does a monthly schedule change that, because artist do not have 30 days to draw, especially when the work is divided by the writers and supervisors where scripts are approved and discussed and early genga is made. thats also ignoring the fact that monthly manga on average do have double the amount of pages a weekly series has,being very generous to weekly here because while the standard is generally 20ish page if you followed any long running series for a long enough you know as the pace of the work slowly catches up to these artist the number is closer 12-15 on average.

but even if we did steelman this and say everything Ikemoto touches was a 2/10 that wouldnt be indicative of whether he would be successful or not, given theres plenty of manga with amazing art, paneling and even storytelling that routinely get axed and the inverse is true theres series that last for years that have conventionally "bad" art and in some recent cases have atrocious paneling that makes Ikemoto look like the second Murata.

What Ultimately decides what series stays or goes is whether or not the readers resonate with it for some reason or another, and what readers resonate with depends on demographics, culture and environment. even in Japan itself. theres some very successful manga that likely would not have lasted in today shonen jump in the same way some successful series of today likely would not have caught on in the 80's or 90's.

Attack on Titan blew up as a manga with this art, not the better stuff we have from Isayama today.
main-qimg-8c2a03859272fbc474bf0d7c05faa667-lq

some other fun examples

yYbnIjwT4M36bmRpuV26ICfmptGUCN2bHMaNLpkU-l38h5Vua_i3eppB-eRo3Zls1WdKbKEqxS_3Oejbd4H6ZZH-DumYwml8GFNN_EyTFFygdnstFxpwolqL1PMobj4dtQzplMUZGtTO2Btz_mRBLQ

but i dont like this idea of saying he was just handed a franchise out of nothing as if he wasn't part of Naruto since the first arc, contributing to character designs, art and not art as in just trees or buildings but key characters as well. and the only other instance of Ikemoto not working on the Naruto franchise was his own one shot which was highly successful and won him awards. Would he be successful today? who knows probably not given his writing is very much rooted in stuff you would find in the 90s and early 2000's.

In the end I think Ikemoto is an okay artist with an artstyle i dont like who happens to be drawing a sequel to a series drawn by one of the best mangaka from a franchise im deeply invested in.

Last edited:
I mean Attack on Titan legitimately had bad art. Even AOT fans will admit that. Using that as an example to defend Ikemoto isn't gonna work because AOT has an amazing story. Something that Boruto doesn't. If Boruto wasn't a sequel to Naruto, I highly doubt it would have survived at all. This isn't even subjective, there are stats to prove this. And Ikemoto's art is one of the reasons it wouldn't have. If a franchise has weird art and still has engagement, it means that it has something other than art that captivates them. Weird defense to Ikemoto's art. It's bad. There's no defending it using other legitimately bad art.

About the workload thing. A monthly manga absolutely has less pages than a weekly manga per month. At best it would be equal. On top of that, Ikemoto has been on record stating that he's thankful for having a light schedule because of the manga's monthly nature. He also has assistants. Despite all this, his drawings notoriously lack details, have simple af backgrounds (too many action lines to cover that up), and bad anatomy. Bad art is bad art. Other good stories having bad art wouldn't change that.

Btw I'm a fan of this franchise, but comparing Boruto as a story to AOT and JoJo should be illegal. Also Araki's art isn't bad.

Edit: The reason I say he was handed down this franchise is because well...that's exactly what happened. He got it because of his personal relationship with Kishimoto. Not because his art was good. Working on the franchise as an assistant doesn't mean someone automatically becomes good enough to be a lead artist.

Last edited:
That fight is so funny. Sasuke thinking he's the bomb after """"beating"""" Itachi and getting the MS only to almost die twice fighting B 😭
TBF he knows he didn't actually beat Itachi and he has several handicaps on that fight (Is recovering from his fight with Itachi, lost his Curse Mark and Orochimaru which was a great deal of his power, isn't used to his MS yet as he hasn't even started using Amaterasu let alone Susanoo and he starts the fight not trying to B), like obviously B is a formidable opponent to him but to act like Sasuke was at the top of his game in that fight is a bit silly.

Honestly that just makes the contrast funnier.

Both Naruto and Sasuke put everything they got into beating their opponent and saving their loved ones, Naruto did it against the leader of the Akatsuki and wielder of the Rinnegan...and Sasuke did it against a rapper octopus.

Honestly that just makes the contrast funnier.

Both Naruto and Sasuke put everything they got into beating their opponent and saving their loved ones, Naruto did it against the leader of the Akatsuki and wielder of the Rinnegan...and Sasuke did it against a rapper octopus.
At that moment Naruto's power just leaves Sasuke in the dust and Sasuke never managed to catch up. (Except during The Last for some reason)

Last edited:
I was under the belief everything Sage Naruto could do in later arcs was something he could do in the Pain Arc but didn't do it because he didn't wanna waste chakra unnecessarily and wanted to be strategic...I might have been wrong.

Actually how would late War Arc Sage Naruto (the one right before his Six Path Power Up) VS Pain (No handicap) would go?

Actually how would late War Arc Sage Naruto (the one right before his Six Path Power Up) VS Pain (No handicap) would go?
Naruto slams pretty badly. His stats are significantly better, and even in the Pain Arc he was physically superior to the Paths, and was only on the backfoot when he was in base. Naruto can maintain Sage Mode longer now (maintained it from Chapter 648 to 654. I know Kurama helped him enter Sage Mode faster, but there's no statement of him helping Naruto maintain it longer), can enter Sage Mode almost instantly, and he can end the battle quicker, meaning this probably wouldn't be much of an issue. Chibaku Tensei is Pain's only shot, and even then an Oodama Rasenshuriken or two might be enough to destroy it.

That version of Naruto who have befriended Kurama has shit loads more Chakra than PA Naruto since he's not suppressing Kurama anymore. His chakra control is also significantly better, as he can form Rasengans without using clones now. Given the amount of damage his Rasengan did to Juubito, he would've one shotted every single Pain with a standard Rasengan.

Also what are the odds that this Naruto is stronger than KN6 Naruto? Making him strong enough to bulldoze through Shinra Tensei?

Back