• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
@Arc7Kuroi Yeah, that was a contradictory action. Obito wanted to achieve the dream world yet also wanted to kill the entire world with it? That’s antithetical to his entire goal. Could it have meant “society” like when Madara used it in reference to Naruto?

Scan 1

Scan 2

In the context of the situation when a buddy of mine who speaks Japanese gave me the translation

In that moment it seemed Obito was so pissed he just said **** the IT plan and was gonna use the S.O.N to just nuke the planet Frieza style cause Naruto was getting to him

another interpretation you can have is that its less that sage mode got stronger and more than Naruto wasnt as experienced with the form so its basically a nerfed sage mode in the pain arc
Well I think it's also because once he befriended Kurama he's the one that gathers Natural Energy inside of Naruto basically what the Toad Sages were to Jiraiya (and it's even explicitly compared) so Naruto has practically unlimited Sage Mode now so he can use with much more freedom than before.

Pain.
200.gif

I miss when we used to get shit like this tbh:
rVjumvc.jpeg

in hindsight this is still pretty grounded compared to other series so I dont know why people thought this had turned Naruto into something unrecognizable
Funny thing is, I believe “if” Kishimoto storyboarded Boruto like he did for S8, we’d get shit like this because then it would be his portrayal and sensibilities (Albeit in Ilemoto’s style) vs Ikemoto’s portrayal and sensibilities, which is suited for more “Ground Level” action.

Never came to a thread where I’ve seen so many mfs spitting before lmao

A lot of yall have said shit that I’ve been thinking for a while tbh, more specifically about Boruto
Trust me, even people who enjoy Boruto are quite annoyed with the lack of feats

Even ignoring the mf's who want them solely for battle boarding

The heavily scaled down fights hurt the narrative of the power cliff Boruto is supposed to be showing

That's not to say we need big booms in every fight but like, look at the 4GNW

The kind of stuff we got there to show the escalating threats from the Juubi to Obito to Madara to Kaguya was done pretty decent

Like we had countries being razed and nuked, moons being created and entire worlds with stars appearing and stuff by eos

In Boruto we are lucky to see Building level feats...mind you...even Genin like freaking PART 1 SAKURA above Building level

It's beyond frustrating especially given we already in Boruto's 2nd half now and still having these issues

In Boruto we are lucky to see Building level feats...mind you...even Genin like freaking PART 1 SAKURA above Building level
THIS

As I'm going through the downgrades it's being made abundantly clear that they literally have no feats. Like Tier 9 Tier 8 ONLY. Even in the anime there are very very few Tier 7 feats, and if it wasn't for them scaling to Naruto characters these guys would literally be trash.
It's very disappointing.

The heavily scaled down fights hurt the narrative of the power cliff Boruto is supposed to be showing

The kind of stuff we got there to show the escalating threats from the Juubi to Obito to Madara to Kaguya was done pretty decent

Like we had countries being razed and nuked, moons being created and entire worlds with stars appearing and stuff by eos

It's beyond frustrating especially given we already in Boruto's 2nd half now and still having these issues
I feel the same way 100%. As much as I have to remind myself from time to time that there’s way more to this than just powerscaling, I still can’t help but feel frustrated with the lack of feats. It’s so underwhelming

Back then we had Part 1 Temari leveling a forest. The fact that this would be an impressive DC feat now in Boruto is honestly so disappointing

Jura's gonna destroy the planet with a tap of his finger and Boruto reveals he has Whis' time reversal technique fr
Only way we could ever get large scale feats I'm hoping is from flashbacks. Maybe momo past escapades

Plus am i the only one who thinks "evolved shinju" is not something new that it has happened before and it's like a "clan rule" for Otsutsuki yo be mindful of that happening?

I also think it is the shinjutsu in karma that evolved them and not just the fact that they had people's dna coz technically 10 tails always absorbs all dna of all life as well as otsusuki themselves and they never gained self consciousness

also is it just me or do the punches and kicks just...feel weak? Like you dont feel the impact of the hits anymore it feels like they barely put any power into their attacks

also is it just me or do the punches and kicks just...feel weak? Like you dont feel the impact of the hits anymore it feels like they barely put any power into their attacks
Base Kawaki after loosing karma punching a bear is ironically one of the strongest dc punching feats in the series. The impact took down the upper part of a cliff . Honestly it seems like the anime really wants to show their power but the manga just tones everything really down. You're telling me all jura did was Bend a water tank? Yet a Kawaki without karma could take out part of a cliff

Base Kawaki after loosing karma punching a bear is ironically one of the strongest dc punching feats in the series. The impact took down the upper part of a cliff . Honestly it seems like the anime really wants to show their power but the manga just tones everything really down. You're telling me all jura did was Bend a water tank? Yet a Kawaki without karma could take out part of a cliff
it almost seems purposeful on Ikemoto's part, like he's deliberately avoiding drawing anything that seems powerful or large scale

Sasuke's Perfect Susano'o slamming down its sword with the intent to kill:
0038-006.png

VS

Edo Madara's Perfect Susano'o unsheathing its sword with the intent of showing off:
0589-003.png

Ikemoto can't draw, that's the problem
False. He can draw, his style is just not bombastic. He’s more suited for ground level action like in “Tokyo Revengers” or maybe even “Demon Slayer” for the most part.

It’s not so much that he lacks drawing ability but rather “imagination”. This is just my opinion, but when he looks at the outline, unless Kishi specifically puts “Mountains erupts” or “Large swafts of the forests are flattened by xyz”, Ikemoto wouldn’t think to do it. Not that he can’t do it.

He can draw. I think his issue is that he isnt a risk taker. He does (IMO) lazy shots and composition and doesn't seem to go beyond what's expected/needed.

He does the bare minimum, which is fine, but for a sequel for Naruto, there are expectations that hes just not reaching. His art (at least as it is now) is fine, but there's no fluidity in his art; the characters feel and look stiff most of the time, and he doesn't like to showcase drama in action for effect (Like you'd expect Naruto and Sasuke vs Jigen and Isshiki to have wayy more structural damage), which in my opinion ties into his "good enough" style (Although most will say it's not good enough; I for one don't really care).

That's just my theory on it though. It just feels like if you wrote a very basic and bare minimum paper that gets you a C, and it's either, you're too anxious about your writing so the writing feels very clunky, and/or you're very comfortable with a C because at least it's a passing grade.

the Criticism about the lack of feats is legitimate issue not because of powerscaling but because of the disconnect with the progression of power and what the narrative wants us to believe and the lack of presentation that make it visceral.

its also not a petty criticism because its something that can be levied to a lot of series for valid reasons including the original run of dragonball, where at some point the power continues to climb narratively but lack of impact makes the actual progression feel superfluous.

Karma and basically most Ninjutsu absorbing stuff is the in universe explanation but this itself creates its own separate issue of basically nullifying the more interesting parts of the power system and making the fights feel less interesting. (this is speculation on my part but this prob the reason why Shinjutsu was introduced)

I think people would be less negative about it if the inclusion of things forced characters to be more creative in how they approach fights.

in contrast in Naruto we had similar plot points with the Rinnegan's absorption or the TSB that can nullify Ninjutsu but these points didnt invalidate the system but forced the characters to come up with creative solutions.

He can draw. I think his issue is that he isnt a risk taker. He does (IMO) lazy shots and composition and doesn't seem to go beyond what's expected/needed.
agreed, i dont like his artstyle and never will but i will always advocate artist express their own style than mimick another, the issue is Ikemoto's experience and skill is rooted in being a background artist which shows in his very pedestreian panelling.

in contrast in Naruto we had similar plot points with the Rinnegan's absorption or the TSB that can nullify Ninjutsu but these points didnt invalidate the system but forced the characters to come up with creative solutions.
It’s not so much that he lacks drawing ability but rather “imagination”. This is just my opinion, but when he looks at the outline, unless Kishi specifically puts “Mountains erupts” or “Large swafts of the forests are flattened by xyz”, Ikemoto wouldn’t think to do it. Not that he can’t do it.
Exactly. I just don't think he's all that creative, I mean look at his fight choreography. They've all been very lack luster and mid, and I think it's because he just lacks the intuition that most of these big Shounen Jump artists have.

He does the bare minimum, which is fine, but for a sequel for Naruto, there are expectations that hes just not reaching. His art (at least as it is now) is fine, but there's no fluidity in his art; the characters feel and look stiff most of the time, and he doesn't like to showcase drama in action for effect (Like you'd expect Naruto and Sasuke vs Jigen and Isshiki to have wayy more structural damage), which in my opinion ties into his "good enough" style (Although most will say it's not good enough; I for one don't really care).

That's just my theory on it though. It just feels like if you wrote a very basic and bare minimum paper that gets you a C, and it's either, you're too anxious about your writing so the writing feels very clunky, and/or you're very comfortable with a C because at least it's a passing grade.
Ngl… when I found out they couldn’t really hold you back because of NCLB, the bolded was me in High School. So long as my test scores were in the top 5% of the school for an ego stroke, I didn’t care about the grade for the class being higher than a C.

Homework? Yeah nah, **** that.

Extra Credit? 💀

Ngl… when I found out they couldn’t really hold you back because of NCLB, the bolded was me in High School. So long as my test scores were in the top 5% of the school for an ego stroke, I didn’t care about the grade for the class being higher than a C.

Homework? Yeah nah, **** that.

Extra Credit? 💀
You know what they say, "Cs get degrees"

Exactly. I just don't think he's all that creative, I mean look at his fight choreography. They've all been very lack luster and mid, and I think it's because he just lacks the intuition that most of these big Shounen Jump artists have.
Iirc, he does look at DB Manga when doing fights by his own word. 🤷‍♂️

Iirc, he does look at DB Manga when doing fights by his own word. 🤷‍♂️
I don't doubt it, but just because you look at something for inspiration doesn't mean you can replicate it. I can study a drummer for years to try to replicate or mimic their style but never feel comfortable actually using what I've studied when I'm performing, whether it's a mentality thing or I'm just trash at it.

Also.. Ikemoto's artstyle is far too different from Toriyama's.. Toriyama's art uses very simple strokes compared to Ikemoto's rough artstyle, so I couldn't imagine it'd translate well. Not that it isn't possible, I just don't think it'll look good.

His extensive experience in background work cultivated his pen, so I'm not expecting any big changes or shift in composition any time soon. It's not often that you get artists like Ohkubo (Soul Eater, Fire Force), who's artstyle shift is incredible

based on interviews and stuff it does come off as a mentality thing as Ikemoto has on numerous occasions undermined himself and on record doesnt think his good.

which is funny because Togashi really loves Ikemoto's art

Back