• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Nanatsu no Taizai Retcon Downgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sigh I really should contact some staff and ask if we can simply ignore a retcon that has been brought up two or three times. But since I'm on mobile right now I don't want to do it since its a pain. So can somebody else do the honors?

Okay just contacted some of the staff. Hope they could shed some light upon this whole retcon stuff.

Taizai has had very shitty powerscaling in the final arc which i can't even wrap my head around.

I am neutral but leaning towards agreeing with Zero.

I am pretty sure Escanor mentioned he stored a lot of solar energy before his rematch against Meliodas so I would say he got stronger. The following of his fighting chapters, Escanor looks to have gotten some help with the verse top tiers like Mael for powerups.

Igot to say the chapters looks to be inconsistent retcon. Unsealed Meliodas being Prime Meliodas makes no sense since he didn't use the same demon mark power later when he needed and it being show that he mentioned weakened by the like of Demon King.

No that was actually a mistranslation. The correct translation was this.

"Sunshine is too powerful a magic. Even if it was to stop the Captain it seems he used too much of his strength. All the strain that had been accumulating over the years suddenly released in one go."

Meliodas couldn't use his Prime demon mark until after he was defeated by Escanor. He was only able to use it before the series started and after he got defeated by Escanor. And Meliodas possessing his Prime power rather than his Unsealed power before the series started is basically the retcon.

That retcon pretty much ***** on the story. Meliodas's weakening over those thousand of years was the reason that lead to his death, which later lead to his lose of emotions and the revival of the DK. It affects the main story too much to even consider it as a retcon.

Ok, I see about the mistranslation. I think his Post-Revival key because of his power boost is a strong evidence why Unsealed Ôëá Prime and why why he couldn't use his his Prime demon mark until after he was defeated by Escanor is unexplained. I will disagree with the retcon because it is an Inconsistency.

IMadeThisOn8-1-2017 said:
How is it not obvious to you that Escanor was weaker in the past? Escanor has literally been doing but getting stronger in this final arc.

The One got one shot by AM Meliodas in the past. The One beats AM Meliodas in the present. The One struggles with Ominous Nebula Zeldris and Mael with Sunshime says he cant fight Demon King in Zeldris body (weakened mind you) with all 10 Commandments. Yet here is Pre-Noon Escanor fighting a stronger version of Demon King Zeldris and his current The One is holding the advantage in the strongest version of the Demon King we've seen now that surpasses even the Demon King in AM Meliodas' body with all 10 Commandments.
I agree with this.

That's pretty much what I talked about on another site. Either some sort of evolution or getting stronger per use effect, or something else entirely.

Then again stars burn brighter when they're about to end so...

Still I'm on Team "Wait for the next chaps or till the arc finishes"

Majority of people including 3 staff agreed this should be ignored. Peter and another guy are the only people pushing for this.

Peter1129 said:
It's actually three scenes that have been retconning Pre-Series Meliodas to Prime Meliodas not one.
What's the third scene. I only know of two, and one can easily be chalked up to art style/Meliodas in the midst of going berserk.

I already posted the three scenes in the op.

And since everybody believes this retcon should be ignored than I guess we'll just ignore it. Though the ratings would feel really now weird knowing that the Meliodas that performed the Danafor destruction feat isn't Unsealed Meliodas.

This is clearly regular Demon Meliodas, though. In 327.5, he clearly had the darkness shoulder pads and legs of Assault Mode. So there's not even three, there's one that makes no sense and another that can be chalked up to art style/Meliodas in the midst of going berserk.

List of things this reton f*ck up within the series:

1. Escanor constantly gloating 24/7 about being the strongest, and a existence above all while knowing he was oneshot at noon.

2. Meliodas telling everyone Escanor was the strongest despite knowing he one shot him a decade ago.

3. Meliodas telling the DK he was scared of returning to his old self, and getting his power back but he sure as **** didn't have any problem doing it in a casual fight against Escanor with absolutely nothing on the line.

4. Meliodas being able to oneshot the "The One". The same form that can go toe to toe against a young version of the DK, while he said could do nothing against a old weaker demon king 3000 years ago.

5. If he was able to do that the entire time, what was even the point of putting the group together in the first place. "The sins were formed to defeat the commandments!!!" Meliodas is stronger than all of them put together.

6. Pretty much every single line of dialouge from Escanor during the first Meliodas fight which clearly shows they never fought before. "This is the chance I've been waiting for to prove to everyone how much stronger I am than you". "That's a fascinating transformation you have there captain". "I'll admit you're pretty strong captain, for someone that isn't me." All of that is coming from a guy who knows he was oneshot at Noon by this same form a decade ago?

7. Merlin was confident Escanor could stop him at noon, despite watching him being oneshot at noon by this exact form?

8. Nakaba admitted in the Q&A that he's just making shit up as we go along?

9. The fact that even if he wasn't trying, the fight still doesn't make senese. Him not trying explains Escanor surviving until noon. It doesn't explain him being oneshot at Noon. You don't see gilthunder oneshotting Meliodas while he was playing around with him during the first part of the series do you? You don't get fodderized by people weaker than you even if your playing.

@Siegfried ....Okay now this is just getting stupidly inconsistent. Seriously can't Nakaba make up his mind on whether or not Pre-Series Meliodas is Unsealed Meliodas or Prime Meliodas? Or did Meliodas somehow regain his Prime power after he got pissed off by Fraudrin and blew up Danafor?

^The post was made by a user in manga helpers named @Shutensatsu so I take no credit for it.

Yeah this recton f*cks up way too many story elements.

I think Nakaba simply likes the 3DM the most, probably because its easier to draw. The Escanor Gaiden is mostly fanservice to Mel's fans too, there was no need for that fight.

4. Like I said that was Prime Meliodas that one shot The One Escanor. That is consistent with everything we've heard and seen about Mael and Prime Meliodas. Also until they explain how Escanor can fight the Demon King it is probably just an inconsistency.

5. He couldn't do it because somehow after they gave back his power he was only in his Unsealed state. Which honestly makes no sense.

6. One could argue Meliodas kicked him in the head so hard he lost his memory of that fight.

7. Merlin probably already knows the current Meliodas still isn't as strong as his Prime. Since she was the one that said his Post-Revival power lvl was 60k. And I doubt she never took a look at Prime Meliodas' power lvl.

But yeah everything else makes no sense.

How's it consistent with "everything we've heard and seen about Mael and Prime Meliodas."

Prime Meliodas and Sunshine Mael were stated to be equals 3000 years ago.

Prime Assault Mode Meliodas was implied by Zeldris to be stronger than The One Escanor.

Afternoon Mael was unaffected by True night which affected The One Escanor and has fought Full Power Zeldris just like The One Escanor.

Plus going by logic Mael would be far stronger than Escanor as he's an archangel while Escanor is the absolute weakest holy knight using Sunshine.

And now the gaiden shows The One getting one shot by Prime Assault Mode Meliodas which confirms what Zeldris said.

4-We don't really know that and the Mel in the flashback WAS NOT stated to be Mel with his orginal power. You are just assuming things to make it looks right despite the very fact that Prime Mel even be there is a plothole in itself.

7-She literally said this was Prime Mel from the time he lead the TC but was still confident Escanor will take him out yet she saw The One being stomped by AM Mel 10 years ago?

>Afternoon Mael was unaffected by True night which affected The One Escanor and has fought Full Power Zeldris just like The One Escanor.

Da ****? Zel almost died from one attack by Escanor but had a full on battle and even overpowered Mael at some point. I don't Mael's deal with true night "it was never explained" but afternoon Mael was not as strong as The One.

@Peter I suppose that's true then. I thought you were saying it's proof for Prime Meliodas destroying Danafor.

4. I mean didn't we basically just go over how this is a retcon but we are ignoring it since it's inconsistent? The reason we know it's Prime Meliodas is because he can use Assault Mode which he could only use as Post-Revival Meliodas and Prime Meliodas.

7. I took her words as this power (Assault Mode) was the form he used back in his Prime. Not that he was back in his Prime already. Since later on after the fight she said he was still getting stronger.

i feel sorry foefor fans of this series. what a shitshow.

also where did nakaba say he was just making shit up as he goes along?

ZERO7772 said:
>Afternoon Mael was unaffected by True night which affected The One Escanor and has fought Full Power Zeldris just like The One Escanor.

Da ****? Zel almost died from one attack by Escanor but had a full on battle and even overpowered Mael at some point. I don't Mael's deal with true night "it was never explained" but afternoon Mael was not as strong as The One.
Full Power Seldris got completely nullified by Afternoon Mael. 2nd Demon Mark Zeldris w/ God was getting beat up by Afternoon Mael who was weakening due to time of day, holding back because he didn't want to fight him and fighting with physical strength since magic doesn't work against Zeldris when God is active. Zeldris only started to win after he got an emotion boost. And yes that's a thing that has even established back in season 1. Gowther even explained it in season 2.

One you could interpret it as is he's stronger than in his Prime which makes no sense. Or you could interpret as because he's reverting back to the old Meliodas he's even stronger than he was before (Post-Revival).

2nd Demon Mark Zeldris w/ God was getting beat up by Afternoon Mael who was weakening due to time of day, holding back because he didn't want to fight him and fighting with physical strength since magic doesn't work against Zeldris when God is active. Zeldris only started to win after he got an emotion boost. And yes that's a thing that has even established back in season 1. Gowther even explained it in season 2.

I don't get your point, Are you implying that Mael main strength is his magic while Escanor is all about physical power? and what about Gowther?

There's not much room for interpretation, given that makes no sense in the context of the statement. It's more likely Nabaka just decided to retcon his level of power rather than Merlin's statement being wrong or from a different point of view.

Well, we should ignore it until the end of the series at least to see if we get any more info.

@Zero Gowther explained the emotion boosting power lvls at the beginning of season 2. That's basically how Zeldris went from getting casually held back by Mael to managing to briefly overpower him.

Damage3245 said:
Well, we should ignore it until the end of the series at least to see if we get any more info.
Agreed.

Damage3245 said:
Though, I disagreed with the retcon because it causes at many inconsistencies, I think this decision is the right thing to do now.

Not sure if Past Escanor was really as strong as he is in the present, as for the Demon King he posed as a threat in Meliodas body, but not in Zeldris as the group is easily handling him, including Escanor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back