• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Nanatsu no Taizai Retcon Downgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the whole point of this thread was to discuss the retcon and the downgrade so I guess just wait and see what everybody else thinks. Probably going to need to call in some staff as well.

Yeah a recton should at least be guided by SOME explanation. Nakana doesn't even attempt to try that and everytime he's in the mood to flex one of the character we should flip the story on it head just because he is a bad writer?

Mel from 10 years ago is not Prime Mel, The One Escanor can one shot AM Mel post revival. Those are facts supported by story feats and statments and not just one off flashback scene.

Just ignore this stupid one time thing for god sake and spare us some headache IMO.

Oh, for God's sake, how low have this series fallen? Even Fairy Tail's final arc had more consistency with its retcons. Anyway, this contradicts a lot of previously stablished facts, so I agree to ignore it.

there is a statement from zel saying that mel could beat the ONE if he was serious or is that counted as PIS?

There is also that mel was stated to be = to mael using sunshine and if we ignore the whole plot convinience and inconsistenci mael shunshine would be >>> escanor sunshine.

Peter1129 said:
Demon King also isn't supposedly able to destroy Diane's battlefield to get back to lake. 4C Mael's Lightball of Love needed two hits to destroy a small floating island even though Base Zeldris w/ God completely destroyed one with one attack. And I'm pretty sure there are other examples of characters being super powerful and yet not completely destroying their surroundings with their attacks. That scene with Escanor just seemed like he needed something to be his punching bag.
the lake is gone . diane rearranged the map the lake that should be below it , is compeltely gone

Wouldn't past Escanor be stronger than current Escanor? Dudes in the prime of his age & hasn't gotten affected by the overbearing power of the grace yet ? He's much healthier then, than now. Only thing he lacked was experience...

Also makes sense, with Zeldris statement, the statement of Mel growing stronger after the One fight. The whole Mael thing.

ZERO7772 said:
Yeah a recton should at least be guided by SOME explanation. Nakana doesn't even attempt to try that and everytime he's in the mood to flex one of the character we should flip the story on it head just because he is a bad writer?
Mel from 10 years ago is not Prime Mel, The One Escanor can one shot AM Mel post revival. Those are facts supported by story feats and statments and not just one off flashback scene.

Just ignore this stupid one time thing for god sake and spare us some headache IMO.
Yeah, I completely disagree with Peter. I frankyl can't even follow that train of thought thinking Mel was stronger in the past and Escanor was the same strength the entire time. It's blatantly obvious Escanor is stronger currently just by feats.

Both of these are side stories, and I'm fairly sure chronological chapters should take precedence.

This is the definition of a retcon: (in a film, television series, or other fictional work) a piece of new information that imposes a different interpretation on previously described events, typically used to facilitate a dramatic plot shift or account for an inconsistency.

Retcons do not change established information to this extent. The characters in Chapter 230 did not know about Meliodas' assault mode or his level of power. This is a plot hole.

This is not just a recton this is straight up plot hole. Escanor in chapter 230 mentioned that he never saw Mel's AM form and Merlin was pretty sure Escanor could beat him if he stalls until noon.

i might have the answer to why he forgot......The hit that he took was so great that he lost his memory of that moment ovo.

i think we should have a vote on whether or not we should ignore chapter 327.5 or not

all in favor of ignoring it say aye

all in favor of not ignoring it say nay.

It is the most recent manga chapter, which should take priority over the previous events of the series.

So I think voting in favor of ignoring it doesn't help anything.

@Damage There's a point where the logic of the series breaks down, though. This chapter is completely illogical and contradictory, so it should be used just because it's new. If Meliodas had this kind of power in Chapter 175, he would have defeated the Ten Commandments.

But it's shown that Meliodas didn't have this kind of power when he faced off against the Ten Commandment. His base was still just 32.5k not whatever Prime Base Meliodas is at.

Meliodas in this Chapter is that very same one. There's nothing to suggest he had another resurrection or power curbing inbetween this side story (which likely takes place around 12-15 years before the star of the series) and 10 years before the series. It's only stated he lost the power of his prime in the last 3000 years.

It's completely illogical and non-sensical, especially since Meliodas only used his Assault Mode after sacrificing his emotions and ability to reason.

I'm saying Unsealed Meliodas =/= Prime Meliodas. And Unsealed Meliodas was the one that fought the Ten Commandments as he just regained his stolen power. Not Prime Meliodas like in the Escanor Gaiden.

I know what your saying, I'm saying it's completely contradicted by the nature of the Assault Mode and events that are established in the series.

He was the one that fought the Ten Commandments, Merlin very specifically says the Meliodas that destroyed Danafor 10 years before the series is the same one that defeated Galand, and they literally train him to handle that level of power. He also attains that strength with the power stored in Merlin's seal. It's after his resurrection that he reverts to his prime.

Even if you the Meliodas that fought Escanor was his Prime (which I'm ok with, even though it's contradictory), the one that destroyed Danafor isn't. They even mention how Meliodas' power level nearly doubles.

Damage3245 said:
It is the most recent manga chapter, which should take priority over the previous events of the series.

So I think voting in favor of ignoring it doesn't help anything.
So if Goku was recton to have god ki in Saiyan saga we will scale everyone to 3-A? There must be a line to be drawn when the the change mess up with the story so much.

You guys are literally saying to ignore 200+ chapters of statments and bulid up for one scene in a side chapter.

To be fair Dende and the Kaioshin seems to have god Ki or can sense god Ki but they are pretty much fodder.

It's actually three scenes that have been retconning Pre-Series Meliodas to Prime Meliodas not one.

No? Just this one. Don't even bring that chapter where Escanor fought the baby indura cuz it creates another plot hole with mustash esca facing Mel.

Mel's overall power was rectoned many times yes, but Pre-series Mel being prime Mel is a new plot hole. Actually we don't even know if that is prime Mel, nowhere in the chapter it's stated Mel still have his original power so Escanor himself could just be weaker. Choose your headcanon again.

Also, I am tired of writing "prime".

i think we should save everyone some mental gymnastics and just write this off as PIS or an outlier like i've said before.

It's amazing really, Escanor fighting the Demon King is considered a PIS but Pre-Series Mel beating Escanor is a recton and we must flip the story on it's head now.

Well thing is Escanor fighting Demon King is a power inconsistency as he was previously shown to be more of a top tier rather than god tier. Prime Meliodas defeating Escanor isn't an inconsistency since it's been hinted at multiple times that Prime Meliodas is stronger. However this is definitely a retcon as originally we were led to believe that Unsealed Meliodas was Pre-Series Meliodas.

Also I'm guessing now we just need to decide if we should or shouldn't ignore this retcon right? We're gonna need a lot more input if that's the case. Since I don't believe we can simply just call the latest retcon a PIS.

╠ÂN╠ÂA╠ÂK╠ÂA╠ÂB╠ÂA╠Â!╠Â!╠Â!╠Â!╠Â!╠Â!╠Â!╠Â!╠Â!╠Â!╠Â!╠Â!╠Â!╠Â!╠Â!╠Â!╠Â

Anyways since this series has gotten this bad, I don't think there is anything to argue. From my point of view Escanor with the latest gaiden is showd to be weaker than Mel while main series he surpassed this limit. This doesn't mean I agree with OP, it's just that we should wait and see if he keeps this peak or if he dies, of-course it's fine to assume current main series will be his limit should Escanor survive and get nakama healing unless stated otherwise.

It might be wise to wait for the next chapter and see if there's going to be any alterations. Considering everyone's in a big battle and there might be a cohesive explanation for what happened.

The next chapter is going back to the present. So it probably won't bring up anything about the Pre-Series Meliodas retcon.

Mostly mean to wait to do it all in one go so that there's no repeated revisions again and again till the arc or this manga is completed.

We might see some explanation as to why Escanor is keeping up right now (Unlikely)

I'd much rather finish this retcon thread about the mid tiers before the series ends so we don't have to make too many threads with a whole bunch of topics at once. We can make a thread about the top and god tiers when the series ends. Also Escanor keeping up with Demon King has absolutely nothing to do with this thread.

Peter1129 said:
The next chapter is going back to the present. So it probably won't bring up anything about the Pre-Series Meliodas retcon.
Which is exactly why you should ignore this cancer of a gaiden ┬»\_(Òâä)_/┬»

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back