• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mouser destroys dreams?!?

So, recently I saw some really crazy claims about dreams in Mario and what it meant for character strenght, so I decided to look into the size of Subcon from Super Mario Bros 2, or "Doki Doki Panic: Mario edition", as some may call it. Back then, Nintendo made some fun game manuals full of information, so I thought that would be a good place to look. I noticed Mouser had a particularly interesting description in the Japanese manual.
Mouser destroys dreams JPN
As you can see, I translated the relevant parts of it (the bit highlighted in green is just used to describe Mouser), and it essentially states that he destroys, demolishes, breaks, etc, dreams, good dreams to be precise (as opposed to nightmares, which the first two kanji spell at the beginning of the sentence). I also gave sources to my translations, because... sources are good. It should also be noted that this was translated in the same way for the English manual .

Why would destroying dreams matter? Well, when you look at the profile for those affiliated with the Dream Stone (an artifact from the same franchise) on this wiki, it reads "The Dream Stone is composed of several dreams and each dream is an entire world of it's own", and then on Dimentio's profile, it mentions "the Dream Depot, where the dreams of the citizens are turning into entire universes", you start to think that destroying dreams could be a big thing. Whilst I personally disagree with Subcon itself being universe-sized, this doesn't really make a mention of Subcon, instead just dreams, so yeah, it could be somthing. Some may argue flowery language, but... for it to be continued on into the English version...

Well, anyway, just thought I'd post this here to see what everyone thought. My threads aren't too popular, but worth a shot all the same.

tl;dr: Mouser stated to destroy/demolish/break dreams in JPN manual for SMB2, English manual agrees, interesting in light of "The Dream Stone is composed of several dreams and each dream is an entire world of it's own" and "the Dream Depot, where the dreams of the citizens are turning into entire universes", which are quotes form this very wiki.

I'd never thought i'd see the day where Mouser is 3-A/2-B.

Anyway this is kind of a clear outlier. If so that would mean Mario would be in the Tier 3/Tier 2 range which is quite nonsensical and inconsistent, Plus the concept of dreams might've been much more different since then.

Mario has far more consistent not 3-A/2-B feats.

The Kanji translation are fine to me.

• Shrugs
Everything else is up to the others

@TurboTriangle601: Well, remember that this is in Mario's dream. Although it's a real place that Mario accessed by his dreams, he's an alternate version of himself there, which was even said in the backstory of SMB2.

With that being said, it does seem hilariously high, especially for the first boss.

Mouser destroys dreams Advanced
Also found this in the manual to Super Mario Advanced. Seems to be a common description of the guy.

LuckyEmile said:
Well, Mouser is the one doing the feat, so... he can't scale to himself~
He means Mouser should be 3-A

Edit: Got ninja'd

Just checked the Japanese one again.

It's more like how Mouser destroys those dreams with the Nightmare Bombs (whatever that is) so...basically it's the manual that have been posted

Back