• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Most iconic characters for every tier

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Ogu Just strict enough to not add characters, when we can see clear as day that they aren't on the same level as the person already in the spot.

Crash and Slender could be added if they were nominated for other positions without better options, but in their respective tier they are too outclassed.

7-B in general needs some clearing. Arthas Menethil seems like he'd only be iconic in his own fandom. I always assumed Thrall was the most well known character in Warcraft.

Ryu and Cras are a bit of a borderline case. They are iconic, but Dracula is ubiquitous.

I think that's a bit extreme, but we should probably be a bit more strict with who goes where, and what has what.

We should have two for every tier, to cover Eastern and Western fandoms. In some tiers, characters are iconic across both fandoms and can take the spot alone.

Bobsican said:
As the Iconic Characters tag is long removed, this is worth a try:
Note: Only the most iconic version of the character in its highest tier (most well-known/current base form, by the way) is added to avoid the list being cluttered with by repetitive characters in multiple tiers.

Only 1 character incarnation
This is why Astro Boy is where he is, and He-Man shoudl likely be in High 3-A instead if the rule was followed strictly. This was also made so if a character was something like "X-Y, possibly Z-A", the latter would be used instead as it´s an higher tier, making things more simple (I´m looking at Finn and Jake, for example)

Maybe it should be edited at this point?

If its highest tier, why is Goku in 4-B and not Low 2-C?

Why would you put an iconic character in their highest tier if that tier isn't the tier that they are iconic in?

It makes no sense and goes against the purpose of a thread like this.

Because it´s also limited to base forms, that and how th thread went into DBZ Goku being simply more iconic that DBS Goku.

Maybe I should also move DBZ Goku to 4-C to keep consistency...

Base DBS is 3-A though. Also, have you seen the videos of people in places in like brazil packed into sports bars cheering wildly watching dragon ball? Given that they're the exact same character and the profiles are just separated so it's not of an ungodly size, it would make more sense to put him on that one.

Also the anime version is probably better known than the Manga and hes 3-B

Bobsican said:
This was also made so if a character was something like "X-Y, possibly Z-A", the latter would be used instead as it´s an higher tier, making things more simple (I´m looking at Finn and Jake, for example)
This is the main reason, to avoid having to discuss much about it (especially for characters in "Varies from X to Y", as that easily happens to Spongebob, for example).

I guess it should be edited at this point, but to what exactly?

Wokistan said:
Base DBS is 3-A though. Also, have you seen the videos of people in places in like brazil packed into sports bars cheering wildly watching dragon ball? Given that they're the exact same character and the profiles are just separated so it's not of an ungodly size, it would make more sense to put him on that one.
Also the anime version is probably better known than the Manga and hes 3-B
Goku was definitely more iconic back in the Frieza saga than he is now.

Which just shows how big the fanbase of Dragon Ball is.

Kaltias said:
I really don't see how 3-A Goku is his most iconic version.
I'd say that the most iconic form would be either 5-B during the Saiyan Saga or Low 4-C as a Super Saiyan during the Namek Saga.
Woki, tell that to Kalt then.

Bobsican said:
Bobsican said:
This was also made so if a character was something like "X-Y, possibly Z-A", the latter would be used instead as it´s an higher tier, making things more simple (I´m looking at Finn and Jake, for example)
This is the main reason, to avoid having to discuss much about it (especially for characters in "Varies from X to Y", as that easily happens to Spongebob, for example).
I guess it should be edited at this point, but to what exactly?
Just because a character might be the most iconic in one of its tiers doesn't mean it will be the most iconic in all of the said tiers.

If you had an Iconic character that was, "At least 2-A, possibly High 2-A" - Said character could be the most iconic 2-A, but not the most iconic High 2-A.

And what does it matter if a character is in more than one tier? That just proves how iconic said character actually is.

Bobsican said:
Rivality in each tier doesn´t automatically renders characters that don´t have such standart be simply left out just by that alone.
As for your last question, it matters to avoid the thread being cluttered with countless versions of a character (Superman and Spider-Man are great examples of this).

Bobsica wrote:
>Rivality in each tier doesn´t automatically render characters that don´t have such standard be simply left out just by that alone.

What does this even mean and what does it have to do with what I wrote?

>As for your last question, it matters to avoid the thread being cluttered with countless versions of a character (Superman and Spider-Man are great examples of this).

That's why the rule should be the most iconic version of the character.

How many people do you think know what the Thought Robot is, for instance? Not many, so this version wouldn't be used.

1: It means that just because some characters are simply far more iconic than others in the tier they are doesn´t mean that those that are a lower degree of iconic are to be scrapped out.

2: That was already done, hence why only one incarnation, of which the most iconic one is the one used.

The problem may arise when in profiles like Astro Boy and He-Man, however, so input about which version to focus on is appreciated in those cases.

Bobsican said:
1: It means that just because some characters are simply far more iconic than others in the tier they are doesn´t mean that those that are a lower degree of iconic are to be scrapped out.

2: That was already done, hence why only one incarnation, of which the most iconic one is the one used.

The problem may arise when in profiles like Astro Boy and He-Man, however, so input about which version to focus on is appreciated in those cases.
1. And? Why does this matter? We have already agreed to put more than one character in a tier, but we need some leniency. This was stated just above our conversation.

2. No, you specifically said you were putting the strongest version of an iconic character, not the most iconic version of the said character- that's what we are talking about right now.

And you should do as you said, and put the most iconic version of Astro Boy and He-Man which I believe Dark has stated the most iconic versions.

1: If the problem is that there are more characters than it should in some places, just say which ones should be purged from here and why.

2: He-Man is still at 5-A, and Astro Boy is still ambiguous up to exactly which key to use to begin with.

Lastly, I also said the "(most well-known/current base form, by the way)", but I´m rewording the "current base form part", as it´s taken in ways I didn´t meant to be.

Iconic among gaming isn't the same thing as being iconic in general.

I mean, when I play Smash, my teachers think I´m playing Mario due the "Super _____ Bros." resemblance.

Pretty sure that's the snake from the jungle book?? Could be wrong.

Jason voorheese for 9-B? Or at least 9-C. Heck most slashers could go up there Jason is just the best example.

Or ghostface for 9-C

Bobsican said:
2: He-Man is still at 5-A, and Astro Boy is still ambiguous up to exactly which key to use to begin with.
He-Man is best at 5-A, which he's already at. Original He-Man is anywhere from 5-B to 3-A but the cartoon is his most well known appearance.

IDK where to put Astro. I think 5-C to Low 5-B since the 80s anime tends to be his most well known appearance, but his 60s anime is also pretty iconic.

How do you guys not know who Mowgli is.

About the DBZ being more iconic than DBS thing, it's because the biggest reason behind DBS being popular is "it's DBZ's sequel".

While it's obviously not the best example due to surveying only ~3500 people, this exemplifies it pretty well.

Almost three people out of four are 17 to 28, and DBZ's dub came out in 1996, meaning that either they were kids when it first aired, or later on when TV was still broadcasting it (It kept doing so for multiple years).

Also, the overwhelming majority says that they were fans of the show for more than 5 years, which means "before DBS was a thing".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back