• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Most iconic characters for every tier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iapitus The Impaler said:
I know who they are quite famous. My point is that they are very different kinds of iconic.
See a show that has some kind of eldritch creature? Cthulhu and love craft. See a work that takes advantage of something being beyond comprehension? C&L. See a book that takes advantage of slime or aquatic motifs in horror or monsters? Its probably Cthulhu inspired. Any kind of ultimate transcendence is usually either Platonic, Religious, or Lovecraftian. Even their style of magic is so influential that most magic systems in Fiction have some reference to it. If it isn't some mythical language or Hebrew that they speak it, it is probably Cthulhu inspired. Ever read a book that makes you feel small in the universe and isn't in a religious setting? That's from Cthulhu.

The kind of iconic Mikey or Bugs is is different from Cthlhu's inconicness. They are one and the same, but are comparable in fame.
Do you know how nugatory the genre of Eldritch Horror is when compared to the impact of Cartoons that came from Disney/Mickey?

They are not comparable in fame whatsoever.

Mickey Mouse is probably on the level of Superman and Jesus in terms of fame and how well-known they are.

Cthulhu just isn't.

I do not dispute that he is famous, but my argument is that he is a different kind of famous.

Take the concepts of "big monster coming out of water," "you are small in the universe," "fear of the unknown," "unknowable knowledge and threats," "wet and tentacled monsters," "beyond your comprehension," "higher dimensional or beyond dimensional transcendence," "see that thing and you die from insanity or go insane," etc.

Now remember that that is all Cthulhu. You underestimate how omnipresent these tropes are. Even if it is not by name, almost everyone knows Cthulhu

Well, putting Cthulhu at the forefront was largely responsible for it gaining recognition.

Iapitus The Impaler said:
I do not dispute that he is famous, but my argument is that he is a different kind of famous.
Take the concepts of "big monster coming out of water," "you are small in the universe," "fear of the unknown," "unknowable knowledge and threats," "wet and tentacled monsters," "beyond your comprehension," "higher dimensional or beyond dimensional transcendence," "see that thing and you die from insanity or go insane," etc.

Now remember that that is all Cthulhu. You underestimate how omnipresent these tropes are. Even if it is not by name, almost everyone knows Cthulhu
A lot of those concepts, such as being small in the universe or a higher being that transcends everything that is completely beyond your comprehension, emanate more commonly from philosophy or religion.

Plato's Theory of Forms came out long before Lovecraft was popped into existence. Same with The Bible.

They did not all come from Cthulhu, to say so would be dishonest.

Not to mention, all of Lovecraft's works were like that - even those that didn't have Cthulhu. There's a reason why it is called Lovecraftian Horror - it was his genre. Cthulhu is just the most well-known of his creations for reasons I am ignorant to.

They do often show up in religion and philosophy, but the way they are portrayed come more from lovecraft. Those 2 things were never about the negative or existential horror, and they did not show up much in fiction until lovecrsft rolled around.

As I said previously, those are the other 2 sources for those things, but they do not have the same take that he does. His take is generally more common unless they are a God in the Christian sense.

They come from the mythos, which are rooted in him, and it is The Call of Cthulhu that popularised it.

I know, but things like the dream quest are not as popular. I pulled them all together the same way you said everything under Disney can be used to back the popularity of Mickey mouse. I took the poster child and the things he represents for his credit just like you did.

Bobsican said:
MrKingOfNegativity said:
Lol, he was already there since the start of the thread.
Please use CTRL + F/ High 4-C to see, thanks.
I'm aware that he's already there. I said this in response to people mentioning Cthulhu for High 4-C.

Which you might have noticed if you had been paying proper attention.

When are we getting profiles for Alvin and the Chimpmunks?

Anyways, I think it´s fine in that case for Courage to be in

Courage isn't anywhere near as iconic as Astro Boy for 4-C. Nor is he anywhere near as iconic as Pokemon's or Marvel's 8-As.

Rivality in each tier doesn´t automatically renders characters that don´t have such standart be simply left out just by that alone.

Demi-Fiend is iconic in the Megaten fandom as the most popular protangist (only rivaled by Aleph) and to a lesser extent, JRPG fans.

I wouldn't add him, though. It's like saying Alis Landale or Nei are iconic. They are very iconic to a certain group of people (SEGA fans, Phantasy Star fans, etc) but not to the general public.

We still need to find a good 2-A. Every minute Madoka is listed, I grow weaker.

Edit: Galactus is a good choice.

A lot of people seem think Galactus is the most powerful character in fiction, so...

Geez... 9-B is getting crowded lol and there's still more; Lara Croft as the most iconic female videogame character and Jaws (the Shark) whose among the most iconic non-human movie villains, both are 9-B.

I honestly feel the list is a bit too lenient with listing multiple characters in the same tier.

I'm not saying two characters have to be equally as iconic as one another to share a spot but I really don't think characters should be so readily added to a tier upon being proven iconic when that tier is already occupied by far better choices.

What is even the point of making a "most iconic" list when any iconic character is able to be added to a spot without much fuss.

I agree with Andy. A bit more quality control should be in order.

I also feel like we should try to use the more iconic version of a character when possible. Astro Boy is 4-C in a fairly obscure game, his most iconic appearances are probably either his 60s, 80s or 2000s anime (7-B, 5-C to Low 5-B and Low 7-B respectively) appearances.

I totally agree with Andy as well. A good amount of these characters aren't actually close to being the "most" iconic.

I think Finn and Jake from 5-A, Arthas and Crash from 7-B and Player and Slenderman from 7-C should all be removed. They aren't just less iconic than the top picks for that tier they don't even seem to be in the same league.

I just think Finn and Jake should be 5-C instead of Ichigo. Not only is Moon level Finn the most iconic point of the series, but Adventure Time is way more popular around the world then you'd think. I remember the Adventure Time subreddit for a time was just posting all the graffiti art of Finn and Jake in places like Turkey, Korea, Latin America, etc.

Bleach on the other hand, never really took off other than being "that other shonen series" AFAIK.

I mean how strict do you want to be because if you start removing characters like Crash or Slenderman etc more than 70% of that list should go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back