• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Most iconic characters for every tier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Andytrenom said:
Neither Spectre nor Anti-monitor are that well know to non-comic readers tho.
anything is better than madoka tbh

Daleks seem like a safe bet too. Maybe Omegamo? Probably a stretch though.

I was thinking of Digimon too, but I don't know if any of the 2-As are among the most iconic ones.

The only characters in Digimon I'd think would classify as "iconic" would be Taichi, Agumon, WarGreymon and Omegamon respectively. Maybe Gabumon and V-Mon since they're other pretty notable Digimon.

Other well-known characters like Yggdrasil, Lucemon, Ryo Akiyama, Beelzemon, etc, are only well known in the fandom or on versus sites due to how OP they are.

I kinda feel Galactus is a choice for 2-A, since while still not as iconic as lot of the list he is fairly known among people not experienced with comics.

Andytrenom said:
Neither Spectre nor Anti-monitor are that well know to non-comic readers tho.
There aren't a lot of 2-A characters who are "iconic" outside of their relative spheres, especially in their 2-A forms, that I can think of off the top of my head. In the Anti-Monitor's case at the very least, I can think of people I know who are aware of what it is if you were to show them a cover or picture with it, even if they don't know its name.

You can't really objectively compare things like this too heavily, but at the very least, using Google handed me 80,000,000 results for "dc anti-monitor", which is a lot more than any other I can think of, so far.

@Cal

I think this is a good choice, assuming we're allowed to count it as Thanos and not just the Infinity Gauntlet. Even before Infinity War, that was a huge event in the comics world.

I mean the more iconic version that most people'd know is the 5-A universal range one via the movies.

Infinity war was a huge event in the comics though as well/

I feel like it is a good middle ground since Thanos is such a massive meme in addition to the movies and the infinity gauntlet is notable in its own right

@Wokistan

A fair portion of those who saw the movie had heard of Comic Thanos before the movie was released due to the hype, most likely.

Kepekley23 said:
@Wokistan
A fair portion of those who saw the movie had heard of Comic Thanos before the movie was released due to the hype, most likely.
Yeah, he had shown up enough in cartoons that almost anyone who had watched a marvel cartoon had at least heard of him

Also, should Lumi really be in 1-A? It's not literally the DM, but an in-universe representation of it. Old Mystara lore even seems to separate real world DM and in-universe DM surrogate, as it implies that the pathetic human reading the book could not understand the Old Ones (hence why they weren't given descriptions), but that there's something even beyond their understanding that watches and waits (in-universe DM/Lumi).

I don't think very many people outside those devoted to obscure D&D lore are super familiar with the canon entity.

Also only one incarnation per character, so please choose which Thanos exactly.

Edit: Ignore the quote part, it likely was a bug in this particular reply.

Oh, I guess it´s fine then, even if such gender is quite not that well known as far I know.

Warren Valion said:
I really don't think Cthulhu compares to Bugs or Mickey Mouse.
Cthulhu and his mythos founded one of the most popular types of horror and invented incredibly prominent motifs that are everywhere. This includes in works that are not directly horror. He is a different kind of iconic than they are, but just as prominent if not more

At least I learned more for my english, as I´m not a native english writer, after all.

I don't mean to bully. The crossed out text is basically saracasm/joke text on this wiki. It's honestly more making fun of myself mistaking the meaning then making fun of them.

Iapitus The Impaler said:
Warren Valion said:
I really don't think Cthulhu compares to Bugs or Mickey Mouse.
Cthulhu and his mythos founded one of the most popular types of horror and invented incredibly prominent motifs that are everywhere. This includes in works that are not directly horror. He is a different kind of iconic than they are, but just as prominent if not more
Dude, this is Mikey Mouse. Created by Walt Disney.

The guy who made a company that owns like every form of modern entertainment imaginable from Marvel to Star Wars.

Cthulhu is big, but Mikey Mouse or even Bugs are like the shining example of Western Cartoons and are far more iconic.

I added Cthulhu anyways, because he should be at least more iconic than say, Bernard, who is here.

I know who they are quite famous. My point is that they are very different kinds of iconic.

See a show that has some kind of eldritch creature? Cthulhu and love craft. See a work that takes advantage of something being beyond comprehension? C&L. See a book that takes advantage of slime or aquatic motifs in horror or monsters? Its probably Cthulhu inspired. Any kind of ultimate transcendence is usually either Platonic, Religious, or Lovecraftian. Even their style of magic is so influential that most magic systems in Fiction have some reference to it. If it isn't some mythical language or Hebrew that they speak it, it is probably Cthulhu inspired. Ever read a book that makes you feel small in the universe and isn't in a religious setting? That's from Cthulhu.

The kind of iconic Mikey or Bugs is is different from Cthlhu's inconicness. They are one and the same, but are comparable in fame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back