• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Metroid General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprised that's what you noticed instead of the Gunship dancing in the background.

Lmao

Btw, apparently there was a story on the Japanese site of Metroid Prime 3 that talked about some unfortunate Pirate's adventures from Zero Mission through Corruption, its basically about how he gets shaft'd by high command lol.

Anyone know what Samus' greatest strength feat is and is there a calc for it? Three strength feat come to mind for this:

1) The Vorash stuff.

2) Casually lifting a giant missile in S&J: https://www.metroid-database.com/old_site/manga/samus_joey3_en/ch_0015/scaled/sc_119.jpg.

3) Samus knocking Proteus Ridley into the air using just her right arm for the Melee Counter.

Off the top of my head that's all I got.

Just saying "The Zebes calc" doesn't necessarily work since not all places accept that. Granted, Samus growing up on a planet with over 900 G's sounds ridiculous, but Samus throwing around the Vorash without all of her strength puts her at around the level of the Zebes Calc anyway.

We shouldn't worry too much about what people say offsite; though, I agree that it's nice to use off planet strength feats. Samus punching Ridley is a Planet Class striking strength feat, but On Scree Mass * Acceleration = Force could be used to calc lifting strength. Giant Missile, would probably be in the Class 50 range yes; especially if comparing the weight to Tsar Bomba.

Would be great to find a proper Vorash calc. Also, someone a while back did calc Samus being able to run through lava with ease being Class M (Without Zebes' gravity) and with it, it would be Class G to Class T. Ridley still has a legit Class M lifting strength feat in the Metroid 2002 manga somewhere. And one lifting feat we currently use is Ghor very casually lifting and throwing Samus' Mothership.

I've been thinking, is there any official guidebooks and etc with more info on Metroid? Would be a good time to get more stuff.

@Dark At this point I'm pretty sure Ridley's Class M feat doesn't exist.

SD, let's not jump to conclusions. We all got both RL and other verses, but I don't think the "Ridley can lift 81,600 tons statement on Death Battle fanon" came without a source. It should be in the manga somewhere, we just need to find it.

@Glass could also include generic game guides

@Dark I mean, they also pulled Planet level Puella Magi in the Homulily fight out of nowhere. So its not surprising. Not to mention, Ridley never lifted anything in the manga...

Sorry for intruding gentlemen, but I've been wanting to get into Metroid for a while now and was wondering what would be the best game to help ease a newcomer into the series.

@Dust Metroid Zero Mission or Metroid Prime are probably the best to ease you in. (Gameplay and story wise)

After that, it depends if you want more difficult game play or just play it in the canonical sequence.

The first two haven't aged all that well, but have fabulous remakes; still memorable classics though. And other than that, Federation Force and Other M are the black sheeps. But everything else is great. My personal favorite is still Super Metroid though.

Prime 1 is good to get into the 3-D games for obvious reasons. Zero mission is much easier to get into in terms of 2-D

I'd go with Zero Mission for sure, easy to grasp but difficult to master if you want all of the endings. After that I'd go with Super, then Fusion. The Prime Trilogy is on the Wii U eShop for $20 which is a steal, pick that up for sure if you can. Once you've got your Metroid skills play Samus Returns. Definitely a great game but enemies deal a lot of damage for whatever reason.

Fusion is probably the most linear, but the average bosses are harder than in Zero Mission. Though, ZM also has 3 difficulty settings.

Although Fusion is linear, you still have to figure out where to go and how you get there instead of every Sector being a hallway like in Other M (granted I like Other M's gameplay). That and the scenarios you encounter in Fusion are great. Zero Mission really gets tough when you try to get the Normal and Hard mode 15% endings. Side note, the American release of Fusion has no difficulty modes but the Japanese version has easy, normal and hard. The American version is set to Japanese normal.

Fusion is actually one of my favorites; I love the Prime series, but I'm overall a bigger fan of 2D Metroid.

Fusion is one of my favorites too, it was the first Metroid game I ever played and completed. Prime 1 came soon after and is my personal favorite for multiple reasons, not just nostalgia.

If you want to get into the Prime series, Metroid Prime Pinball is the obvious choice. Voted on being the best Metroid game over on /r/Metroid a while back. In all seriousness, get the Trilogy. All the Prime games have minor issues but are honestly solid games with DEEP lore. Get the Gamecube versions if you can't stand motion controls and have the cash to burn.

As far as 2D titles; Zero Mission, Super and Fusion are the ones most fans will tell you to play. Newer fans will recommend AM2R or Samus Returns. You can skip Metroid and The Return of Samus as they didn't age well and had much better received remakes. Either way, there is a reason the gerne of game is named after them (Metroidvania). Any you pick up will be enjoyable though Zero Mission is the greatest game in the series (and ever) in my opinion.

The series only has three subpar games. Federation Force had the worst boss in the series and was just an 'ehh' prime game. Other M had good gameplay (minus a broken dodge mechanic), but a subpar story and bad characterization. Prime Hunters had good concepts with the other bounty hunters but failed in execution in single player. Also broke your hands playing it for long periods.

I really liked Metroid Prime Hunters, I can agree the single player was redundant and it could have been much better, if they decided to make it the Mega Man of Metroid. But the game was still enjoyable, and the characters were still likable, and Gorea's lore was very interesting. I'd still take Prime Hunters over Other M and Federation Force anyday.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
I'd still take Prime Hunters over Other M and Federation Force anyday.
In what regard? Despite a little clunkyness, I really like Other M's gameplay. If it's improved upon (or at least given a second analog stick) I'd like to see it come back in some form. I had a lot of fun with Fed Force, some missions got a bit repetitive after a time and the later missions feel like co-op is required to an extent. I can't think of much wrong other than that, I had a lot of fun with Fed Force. I've only beaten the game once though since it's most fun with friends, but everyone abandoned the game within a week.

It seems to me that 90% of Fed Force's hate and criticism seem to stem from butt hurt over when and how it was announced considering a lot of people talk about Fed Force like it's a core title when it's not, it's a spin off... Granted, how and when it was announced was horrible, I'm pretty sure no one will disagree with that. I'm not sure where the idea of being a "Star Fox Adventures" situation came from, Tanabe has been wanting to make a game like Fed Force for a long time.

I had nothing against Other M's gameplay; that was something they got right. But the bad part was the horrendously awful story and ruined portrayal of Samus's character. Samus is a badass through and through while also having a lot of heart in the manga, Other M basically just turned her into a Daddy's girl.

And Federation Force, while the game wasn't insanely awful by any regards, but it had fairly mediocre gameplay; which is typical for FPS. I'll take it's better than most over done FPS's in this era, but Prime Hunters I still had more fun playing. It's still way more fun to actually play as Samus instead of some fodder marines with power armor. Plus the final boss against Gorea was way better than Federation Forces. In theory, Samus being the final boss gives the impression of a super epic battle, but all she does is go into morph ball and hold back throughout the fight. Prime Hunters also still had really great in depth lore and unique weapons that make Metroid so great as always.

The only part of Other M's story that seemed to portray Samus incorrectly was at the very very end when the colonel showed up. He wanted Samus to leave and he'd probably kill Madeline for whatever else. I figured Samus would do something in that situation and show some backbone, but instead she just bends over backwards for the guy as if he has 110% power in the situation. I doubt Samus would threaten violence in that situation, but considering what she's done in the past, if she speaks people listen. If Samus moves, people get out of the way. She's basically the Metroid universe' equivalent of Superman.

Hunters can give my hands cramps after about an hour of play, while Fed Force doesn't, so that's automatically an improvement for me. I use the 3DS nub (right stick thingy) to let me lock onto an enemy and then use the gyro aim for fine tuning my shots. I get using the touch screen for aiming, but the positioning required for your hands can get pretty awkward for me. For a spin off, Fed Force does about what I expect for a game where you play from the perspective of the Federation for a change. Samus staying in Morph Ball in Fed Force is in some ways a disappointment, but the fight would probably be impossible if she hadn't held back.

Well, I meant the various PIS scenes in Other M. And the fact that Adam has to give her permission for everything? That strongly contradicts Adam having a lot of respect for Samus as seen in other instances. Samus, while extremely heroic and deeply cares about her family and friends, her portrayal on that aspect for Other M is exaggerated. There's a big difference between someone who simply mourns the death of family, than someone who frequently cries in the bathroom. Samus is also really smart, Other M made her do and say things that would argue otherwise was the problem.

Fair enough I guess. I never had problems with Hunter's controls, but then again; I do have physically fit reflexes IRL. But it's not the controls I had problems with, but the game in general just seemed way to simplistic. Also, that Chibi art style doesn't suit Metroid at all. Metroid's suppose to have tons of exploration, which Fed Force barely had. I will say it's got more than Prime Pinball (Which really should have just been included as a Mini game of Hunters instead of a stand alone game). Hunters I still had a lot of fun fighting the 5 bounty hunters and against Gorea, among other things.

Now, one spin off I'd really like to see Metroid have is a JRPG style game. Mario worked excellently in that genre, and Zelda would also be phenomenal with that type of gameplay, but it actually would be neat to see Metroid with that type of gameplay. It would also potentially give even more of a shitton more hax abilities and resistances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back