• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Metroid General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Btw what happened to the metroid 2 remake? Sadly I've only played the original and the fan remake. I never got a chance to play the 3ds remake.

What I mean is, is the remake a good classic metroid entry with new features or did they mess up anything?

Albeit I doubt they could screw anything up like several stuff in other M.

they added new features to the game, though some people find that the end part didn't capture the original's atmosphere quite well.

I liked Samus Returns end part, having the Baby Metroid follow you around was a nice twist IMO.

Now that the recent Smash Direct ended over 24 hours ago, anybody notice anything Metroid related other than Samus getting annihilated? As far as Metroid spirits go I saw Samus' Gunship (not sure how a ship can turn into a ghost, I don't think it's biocomputer counts), "Federation Days" Samus from Other M (hopefully that means that interpretation of the character is dead) and Adam Malkovich (honestly that's perfect). Metroid stuff was pretty light, but I expected that. I saw Adam in the Direct itself, but "Federation Days" Samus and her Gunship were on the Spirits section of the Smash website.

Robot Ridley alt skin confirmed, Dark Samus and Ridley mysteriously werent killed, and Smash! Samus is pretty stupid

Link: Blocks energy blasts

Kirby: Runs away

Samus: ShOoT tHe LaSeRs WiTh LaSeRs

Those like Samus and Link were at the very front of the line and tried to fight back. Only once they fell did everyone else figure they can't do anything and """tried""" to run away. At least Link deflected the lasers with his shield, but I'm not sure why anyone else was unable to do anything like Palutena's reflector. The smartest person there was Falcon who tried to get in his F-Zero and bounce.

My head canon is that, since all the characters in Smash are toys as Sakurai said in the last Direct, the kid who owns these toys has never played a Metroid game in their life so Samus' suit acts differently, most of her moveset is made up and didn't even try to sensemove dodge out of the way of a laser.

that's a pretty smart headcanon, guess that kid is a kirby fan lol

BTW, can Kirby's Warp Star let him pop out of existence like he did in the World of Light trailer? My Kirby knowledge isn't that great, all I know is that it can travel REALLY fast, but I don't remember it just popping in and out of existence at will. I mean, it's called the WARP Star, so I don't see why it couldn't, I just don't remember when it did, if ever. Also, is any other character in Smash able to do something similar?

I'm hoping there's more cutscenes that just one at the beginning and one at the end. All of these characters are in one game, I REALLY want to see them interact with each other in some way. The character interactions and cutscenes were the best parts of Subspace.

The only thing I'm not sure of is whether or not Samus will talk. She has voiced lines in Brawl and Smash 4 as well as being a "talking character" since Super Metroid. I'm going to guess she won't, just because people are STILL butt hurt over Other M... then again Samus still has the Other M Suit design on and Piranha Plant is a fighter over Shadow the Hedgehog so who knows.

Apparently, Cal's going to try to upgrade Kirby to High 2-A at some point looking as the Smash Trailer.

@DDM I'm 99% sure that would be an outlier if everyone comparable to Kirby was able to die easily and Kirby only ran away rather than tank the blast

@DDM Very bad Dragon, you need to be kicked from the wiki for telling such naughty lies. OvO

It was joking, and it wasn't ever a lie to begin with if I was simply being hypothetical. And again, it was a joke; I don't think Cal would go that far, but he sure as well would love to see Kirby upgraded so high.

Actually Call, what we were talking doesn't qualify as shit. I was saying the equivalent of shit taking a shit.

Something I thought of that I'd like to see in World of Light is Samus using her Zero Laser on one of those Death Beams from the reveal trailer and get into some sort of DBZ beam struggle. It could be to hold off the one beam for as long as possible to let others escape, or maybe Dark Samus could help out with her own Phazon Beam as a sort of "I hate you, but we need to put that aside if we're going to live" kind of thing. On a base level that kind of thing happening would be really cool to see and considering S&J it isn't too far out there. Besides, Samus and Dark Samus seem to be one of the few characters in Smash with some sort of giant "**** Off Laser Beam."

That's a final smash? Creative, yet not creative.

That reminds me tho, where does Zero Laser even come from? It never appeared in Metroid...

I guess, tho I would think a Power Bomb or Hyper Beam (Super Metroid) would at least have made sense imo

I would have called Zero Laser the Supernova Beam; or maybe Hypernova Beam.

@Cal ehh, it looks lame tbh. Rather have Samus use something else like hypermode or powerbombs

Gandrayda in Prime 3 turned into Samus during Gandrayda's boss fight did something similar to the Zero Laser but it was not as large or as powerful. Besides, the Zero Laser debuted in Brawl, yet Brawl came out before Prime 3 so it's probably just coincidence. My head canon is that if Samus can do it, it's probably something that would cost using up an Energy Tank or two as fuel. However, considering Samus is always in some sort of cave or structure, using the Zero Laser seems like a bad idea.

Something else I thought of is that if Ridley was in the reveal trailer and got hit by the Death Beams, watch him regenerate his body, come back later and everyone but Samus is like "How are you not dead?!"

Also, when Samus was hit by the beam, because of the camera angle it looked like sand got kicked up and obscured exactly what happened to her... that's how it looked to me anyway, I can't find a good version of the trailer being slowed down. There's an evil clone of Samus and Kirby ran off so there's no way she lived that. Though it'd be funny to think that she just tanked it like Mother Brain's "Laser Brain Attack" and just gets back up.

SPOILERS FOR SAMUS RETURNS
During the Ridley boss battle at the end of Samus Returns, when Ridley pins Samus to the ground at the end of phase 2, could Samus have gotten out of that on her own? I figure Samus could at least turn into Morph Ball and lay a Power Bomb or something since in Other M when Samus is grabbed by a Gripper (the Venus Flytrap Monsters in Sector 1)she can still transform into Morph Ball. I'm asking since based off of that scene, pinning Samus' arm/entire body to the ground looks like a death sentence, which seems kind of silly since Samus is underground fighting giant monsters all the time, you'd figured she'd be able to find a way out if that happened. Samus being unable to do anything could have been due to showing how Samus formed a connection to the Baby Metroid, or Samus could have also just been super worn out after committing genocide over an entire day without resting while Ridley was primed and ready to go.

I only wanted to point out it wouldn't be an "entire day". Best ending, meaning the character performs nigh-perfect condition takes less than 3 hours to do on the older game. Whatever gives samus the "best ending" for the remake is the maximum time it took for her to perform the entire mission.

I don't think game time is a game mechanic if faster timeframes unlock something.

Edit: For the remake, entire mission's maximum length was 4 hours for best ending.

The only way people beat Samus Returns 100% in under 4 hours is if they know where everything is and have a strategy in mind, while Samus herself has no way of knowing that stuff, so who knows how long it actually takes. Samus arrives on the planet and it's sunny, but when she leaves it's seems much darker out and there's a storm. The opening and ending cutscene shows the sun hasn't moved much but who knows what SR388 day lengths are.

I know where you're coming from but if something exists for when the character is at their best time frame, it means it's developer's intent for that to be the character's minimal optimal. The player does not know the location at first nor does samus, but it isn't beyond her capability to perform the mission in under the set maximum timeframe for her best in every game.

The developers/designers/writers decided she's at her best she clears in the max of 4hours for the remake, even if she doesn't know everything it isn't her fault it takes so long but player input. People might rate stuff like victory screens and time rewards as gameplay mechanics but they are indications of what the character minimally does at their best by the developer's standard UNLESS there's explicitly a timeframe given in the game which does not add up to the victory screen timeframe. (Ex. If during the game samus is said to take a few days to travel be.

Doubt it'd ever mean much for calcs or feats though unless some type of travel happened without a preset time frame, but unless a set amount of time is shown to pass within the game itself (ex. "few days later" not at the beginning or end but in the middle of the game) then the time clear is no longer cannon.

I'm hoping someone will come up with an answer to my Samus Returns question eventually. In the meantime, the Smash Bros Ultimate soundtrack is steadily being uploaded to YouTube which includes a handful of new Metroid tracks. I will link the new remixes below in a spoiler tag for those who are interested:

SPOILERS FOR SMASH BROS ULTIMATE
VS Ridley: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHRwgaJhsZU
Brinstar Depths: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6DTruWOXGE
VS Parasite Queen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jty0wcuOvP4
VS Ridley and Brinstar Depths are awesome, I don't really care for VS Parasite Quen though, especially since the Prime 1 song rip has been replaced with the remix instead of just having both. I like the VS Parasite Queen remix, but it's not on the level of VS Ridley or Brinstar Depths. If they were going to remix anything else instead, it should have been Dark Samus' Theme since it isn't in the game and VS Parasite Queen played in Dark Samus' 25 second "Fighter Video."

>Sees in my suggested videos that the Metroid soundtracks were leaked

We have Federation Force music but not Vs Dark Samus? But whyyyy

As for your question, she probably could have gotten out last second, unless Ridley was like, actually crushing her insides.

Something I just thought of. Considering how durable Samus is, how was the Federation able to surgically remove her suit in the beginning of Metroid Fusion? You'd figure her shielding would deflect that and it'd basically be like trying to operate on Superman without a Kryptonite knife. Maybe the X Infection either made the suit weaker, reduced the Energy Shielding to almost nothing or because of Samus' physical and mental state her suit wasn't at peak performance. Maybe a bit of all of these... Then again there's also this image: https://www.metroid-database.com/old_site/manga/samus_joey_en/ch_0000/scaled/sc_SAJ_Fus1_176.jpg.

That would also bring up the question of how the Federation people didn't get infected by the X...

Well we know Samus' armor is based on her willpower, and given she was unconscious...

The X probably can't infect two things at once, espically since it took them a very long time just to infect Samus

It's likely more like a "Her Ki was suppressed" scenario, as SD basically said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back