• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Metroid General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Omega Metroid from Fusion was much stronger than regular Omega Metroids iirc, as it could oneshot SA-X. And yeah, Varia Fusion Suit I don't think is 5-B, but Gravity Fusion Suit would still be 5-B, since she can at least fight SA-X; though, SA-X was a challenge so she their power isn't that much different.

And yeah, Other M is weird and is so full of PIS, but let's not derail how shit the story was in that game. Regarding Nightmare though, when did Samus fight him? Did she have Varia Suit or not?

Both after and before the Gravity feature, so yeah... Though this is the general discuss so we can discuss other m I sometimes kinda chuckle at the implications, like Galaxy wide mind manip MotherBrain or the Space Pirates being purely Zebesian

Oh yeah, forgot this was General Discussion. And yeah, I'm hyped for Mind manipulation upgrade for Mother Brain and in turn other Mind manipulators. But gotta head to work for now.

Hold your horses, that was one of the things i was chuckling about

Wait, why is her scan visor not in her other tiers? It's part of the most basic form of her suit.

Umm, yes she has. It's shown when she's using the Chozo statues to figure out where her upgrades or any activity is.

Thats because the chozo statues give her the information? She's not scanning the thing for info or anything.

She did scan them, it just said that it was incompatible with the suit, not that she can't scan it.

--Analysis Inconclusive--

Item not compatiable with current suit.

Not to mention I'm talking about Information Analysis akin to the Scan Visor, not what amounts to basically a basic understanding of her own arsenal.

Ah shit, I was in a hurry to work, so I misread the post about galaxy wide mind manipulation; even I wasn't quite sure about that. But I heard that Samus's Precognition was getting upgraded. As well as other speed and range upgrades.

I always figured that the Scan Visor was a basic function of the Power Suit from the beginning like the Power Beam, it's something that Samus has always had. She starts every Prime game with it and is in Other M to some extent. Not only that, but when Samus loses her gear in Prime 1 and 2 she never loses the Scan Visor. In Prime 1 Samus loses literally everything except the Power Beam and Scan Visor. Samus is never seen acquiring the Scan Visor in any way from what I remember, she just has it in the beginning of Prime 1. Also, Prime 1 occurs after Metroid 1/Zero Mission and before every other Metroid game, so why would Samus not have had the Scan Visor since the beginning?

Not to mention I'm pretty sure the maps/areas are kind of part of the scan visors function; even in Zero Mission.

To answer your question, thats because Samus gets a new power suit at the end of ZM remember? @Accursed

@Dark where do you even hear this stuff?

Maps hardly count as scan visor functions.

Doesn't Samus use scanners in the Metroid 2002 Manga? I thought she did use it for combat IIRC. Doesn't she put her arm cannon in a computer slot to get map details all the time? Wait, that last one was Fusion nvm.

Also, adapting to higher gravity really should apply to her Zero Suit as well.

I dont think so? As for the Arm Cannon there is a difference between analyzing info and recieving it.

Thats true, imma add it later.

As far as I know, the Legendary Power Suit let's Samus integrate the most ancient of Chozo technology (which in and of itself greatly increases Samus overall power) and alters Samus' appearance, but nothing much beyond that. The giant shoulderpad generators could just be giant air conditioners for all we know. Besides, the Scan Visor seems to be some sort of offshoot of the Combat Visor in a way and doesn't seem to be some sort of super ancient hyper advanced piece of tech. As far as I can tell, the Scan Visor or some sort of equivalent not being shown in Zero Mission could just be game mechanics and nothing more...

Now that I think about it, does the Legendary Power Suit outright replace Samus' old suit or act as a direct upgrade to the old suit like updating hardware? I don't think an answer to either was given, she just gets her old stuff back so the Legendary Power Suit seems like a direct upgrade to her old suit and lets her use three powers she couldn't use previously. Samus' old suit is apart of her body and was never destroyed in Zero Mission so outright replacing the old suit with something different so quickly and painlessly sounds ridiculous. Besides, Samus just took her Power Suit off and never put it back on because... uh... Word of God said she lost her fighting spirit or something so... hmm.

Anyway, I see where you're getting at SomebodyData, but based on how the Scan Visor seems like an offshoot of the Combat Visor since Samus just lowers her Arm Cannon and touches her helmet to scan things, as well as the fact that she's never lost the Scan Visor makes me think that it's a basic, fundamental part of her suit like the Power Beam. Stuff like this could be avoided if Nintendo gave us explicit details every so often, but then again speculation like this is part of the fun.

The Legendary Power suit is described as an ancient relic and a holy armor basically. And, while it basically has all the same features, I think it's more than just an upgrade. The Legendary Power Suit isn't exactly technology, but biology; that's for sure. And it sounds like the original Power Suit is the same concept. And I agree with the final paragraph.

The Legendary Power Suit is definitely an ancient relic, but whether or not it's truly holy armor bestowed by a God might be up in the air since the Ruins Test might not have been the war god itself, if it actually exists (more speculation I guess.) The Power Suit, since it's biotech (something that is fairly widespread in Metroid such as Samus' ship's biocomputer and the Aurora Units) is both technology and biology. There are the organic components that link the suit to Samus' body as well as machinery to do stuff like shoot Missiles, hence why Samus' power ups can get stolen or damaged, but the suit itself will always remain apart of Samus no matter what (unless there's some sort of Chozo Power Suit Remover like from Guyver). Its late for me, going to sleep. Will continue later.

Well A- Saying she has the scan visor is part of the original suit is speculation at best, B- Stuff like the Long Beam is considered a fundamental thing of the Legendary suit, unlike that of the original Power Suit, so it shows that just because its funadmental to the Legendary one, it does not mean its fundamental to the original suit.

Zero Mission and the backstory manga were made back when the 2D games and Prime games were kept separate in every way possible, seemingly on purpose but due to the gameplay in Zero Mission, I highly doubt something like the Scan Visor would be used or referenced. Samus Returns seems to change that however. Anyway, Samus was never showed using the Scan Visor in Zero Mission or the backstory manage from what I remember. That said, when did she get the Scan Visor and from where? Why does she not lose it like everything else, even other Visors? The Scan Visor is a rare exception of Samus starts out with it in very Prime game and never loses it. Speculation is practically a requirement to determine stuff in Metroid since very little is explicitly told or shown to us. Considering how the Scan Visor seems like an offshoot of the Combat Visor (I'm pretty sure Samus has always had that) and how useful something like that would be, I don't see why Samus would wait until an undetermined amount of time after Zero Mission to get the Scan Visor. Watch there be a prequel game or story made just to explain all about how Samus got the Scan Visor. Square Enix made the Kingdom Hearts 0.2 Demon to explain why Mickey didn't have a shirt at the end of Kingdom Hearts 1 lol.

The entire idea of the Prime and 2D separation didn't happen til Other M, in fact, if you had Fusion and Prime, you would be able to use the fusion suit in prime and play Metroid nes in fusion. Like I said, with the Long Beam, it's probably just a basic addition to the Legendary suit. No one said she had to obtain the scan visor as an upgrade tho? I doubt it, I think Sakamoto already said no more prequels / remakes for now, but they never said anything about manga tho lol

I've known about the connection, but Prime 1 and Fusion came out on the same day and was Metroid's grand return, so a connection incentive makes sense. Prime 2 and Zero Mission had no such thing even though they released in the same year. Besides, Other M's Charge Beam sound effect is from the Prime series, the Seeker Missiles from the Prime series was in Other M and a HUGE chunk of Other M's gameplay is going in and out of first person. I'd say the Prime/2D split went away before Other M. If you were referring to the fact that Samus said "It was the first joint mission I'd been apart of since becoming a freelance bounty hunter" in Other M, I don't think it's the same thing.

What do you mean that the Scan Visor is a basic addition to the Legendary Power Suit? You mean Samus acquired the Scan Visor when she got her Legendary Power Suit?

Prime 2 and ZM was because of time restraints, not some seperation. I was refering to this statement of your's: "2D games and Prime games were kept separate in every way possible,"

Well from the information we have, yes.

2D and 3D Metroid were never even separated to begin with; sure Sakamoto loosely reference he had plans to separate them in an old interview, but that was never officially accepted. Sakamoto merely said he has little involvement in the Prime series, as Miyamoto was the one who really worked on those games. Additionally, Nintendo Power listed all the 2D and 3D Metroid games as part of one timeline back when Other M was first released.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
2D and 3D Metroid were never even separated to begin with; sure Sakamoto loosely reference he had plans to separate them in an old interview, but that was never officially accepted. Sakamoto merely said he has little involvement in the Prime series, as Miyamoto was the one who really worked on those games. Additionally, Nintendo Power listed all the 2D and 3D Metroid games as part of one timeline back when Other M was first released.
Then there was the 2015 Federation Force interview that almost no one read where Tanabe said that the Prime series is set in between Metroid 2/Samus Returns and Super: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...e-dev-explains-decision-to-not-focus-on-samus. By the way, do you have a picture of that timeline? The only thing I can find for a timeline was the one made by the MDB back in the day and this from the Metroid Prime 2 Demon disk I believe: https://i.redditmedia.com/DrbzYYg7o...rh=2&w=960&s=2040180c64b11c74ee4fb8af8bd8156f. Having an official timeline of any sort would be nice to have. Metroid has the most straight forward timeline for Nintendo games yet some people get confused as to the game order.

Samus getting the Scan Visor at the same time she got the Legendary Power Suit should also count as speculation since the Scan Visor was never shown in Zero Mission, so Samus could have acquired the Scan Visor after Zero Mission but before Prime 1. The Legendary Power Suit retains the upgrades from Samus' older suit and lets her use the three mystery items. It hasn't been shown to add anything else. Going purely off of what is shown in Zero Mission, Samus either had the Scan Visor before Zero Mission started, or after Zero Mission ended and before Prime 1. All I know for sure about the Scan Visor's origin is that Samus had it at the start of Prime 1, no idea exactly where it came from.

Don't know of an image, but Nintendo Power is mentioned here. And there's a URL, but it appears to be broken on my end. But I think I still have the magazine issue, but it's going to be a chore to dig through it.

Edit: it was Volume 255 page 46-47. Turns out it wasn't that bad to look at; though, got no digital image of it.

Once again, the Scan Visor is a basic ability for the legendary suit, like the long beam, so it seems unlikely she got it somewhere in between, espically since canonically she didn't get any jobs (according to an interview I believe) between ZM and Prime. Though at this point, even if we were to assume she got it afterwards, it would still mean her original suit doesn't have it, which is what the original topic was about.

SomebodyData said:
Once again, the Scan Visor is a basic ability for the legendary suit, like the long beam, so it seems unlikely she got it somewhere in between, especially since canonically she didn't get any jobs (according to an interview I believe) between ZM and Prime.
I've never heard Samus not getting any jobs between Zero Mission and Prime, that's pretty interesting. Are you able to find that again?

Can't find it right now, though the wiki also mentions she hasn't had a job for a long time after too.

"Samus Aran, having destroyed the Space Pirate stronghold on Zebes three years prior during her Zero Mission, starts traversing across the galaxy in search of a client when she intercepts a distress signal coming from a space station in orbit above Tallon IV."

The idea that Samus went for three years without work or flat out couldn't find a job sounds ridiculous. She set up a reputation before Zero Mission of being the best Bounty Hunter in the Milky Way and she seems like the person that would be looking for work all the time since she's a warrior, what the Chozo wanted her to do ("Protector of the Galaxy" and all that) and in Fusion she went to the BSL right after getting out of the hospital. Besides, the text from the wiki is really vague. The quote seems in reference to what Samus was doing shortly before/right as Prime 1 started, not necessarily that Samus hasn't had a job in three years. If she took and extended vacation I could understand that, but there's no mention of that anywhere, lol. I would have responded much earlier but I was only able to get time to reply right before I had to leave for work and the website seemed to eat my reply and didn't get posted. It's happened a handful of times and I don't know what causes it.

@Shadow no one does

@Accursed, actually if we're going by the manga, even killing a single space pirate creature can give a Bounty Hunter a massive bounty. Makes sense that destroying their greatest base would be able to give Samus enough money to live off of for that time. Also going by the manga, Samus' reputation makes her apparently extremely expensive, and given we've seen her only being sought for massive missions (Exploring SR388 and the Phazon Crisis for example) it kinda makes sense. As for BSL, she went back to make sure everything was alright given that was where she got the treatment to begin with.

I'm heading to work soon, but in S&J, Samus seems to get jobs all the time and that's after the Space Prates were annihilated and some of Samus' missions in S&J aren't super massive "save the universe" plots. They're still important, but not all of them are on the level of the BSL or Phazon Crisis or saving Aether.

You're gonna have to remind me of which ones you're talking about, because the Megaroid project and the Samus armor copies were definitely threats, with mostly everything else not actually being jobs if I remember correctly.

Samus is basically a Superhero in S&J; then again, she pretty much always was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back