• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Megaten Discussion Thread II: Stephen Hawking > God

You should add into the gallery, And not to sound rude but is there really a point to making a profile for COMPs when most characters' in DeSu's power are directly reliant on it so its kind of like the same profile of powers and abilites, not to mention they're kind of more potential based anyways

IDK. Different characters have different abilities with the Comp and it has a lot of interesting stuff on its own. Besides, we have the Omnitrix, which is even more redundant.

Yvel Atsly said:
You should add into the gallery, And not to sound rude but is there really a point to making a profile for COMPs when most characters' in DeSu's power are directly reliant on it so its kind of like the same profile of powers and abilites, not to mention they're kind of more potential based anyways
Also, which image should go in the gallery?

Its story and themes are more relatable. SMT has great stories and themes, but it requires more thought to really appreciate. With Persona, what you see is more or less what you get, and it's grounded more closely to real life so people don't have to think too hard about why everything happens the way it does because they can just draw from their own life experience.

@Ion

Maybe if SMT weren't so annoyingly hard for newcomers, more people would like it. That, and Persona resonates more with normal people and their normal problems compared to bleak apocalyptic scenarios with questions and philosophies that only tangentially apply to real life.

Sure, it's cool when you get into it, but only IF you do. Turns out SMT's niche for a reason.

To be honest the two Persona 2 games story-wise are on par with some of the best of the Megaten franchise. Persona 3 is not far too, it's basically an SMT game with social links and high-school setting and characters, the plot with the shadows and Tartarus is your typical Megaten demon-infestation plot like SJ had with the Schwartzwelt (I can't believe I manged to type that right first try) or SMT4 with Naraku / Tokyo.

Persona 4 and 5 are the ones that really go far from the megaten mold, though they still have similarities like how in both you have to beat a Godly, nigh-incomprehensible entity that embodies an aspect of humanity which pretty much the same thing as a high-ranking demon boss in the SMT series. The obvious problem with the persona series is that Atlus is clearly milking every drop of dollar they can from the franchise, while pretending SMT is like a secondary series and not their flagship.

Well, from a popularity standpoint, Persona is their flagship franchise right now. That said, all the money that comes from milking the Persona franchise also goes into the following SMT games, so it's not like there's any reason to complain. The fact that they're specifically doing story rewrites to make things more SMT-like than IV-A ended up being is a pretty good sign, if you ask me. They clearly care about SMT, it's just that they know that Persona is a bigger investment.

Dziga said:
To be honest the two Persona 2 games story-wise are on par with some of the best of the Megaten franchise.
Small correction, Persona IS part of the Megami Tensei franchise.

Small correction, Persona IS part of the Megami Tensei franchise.

Small correction, I didn't say persona is not part of the Megami Tensei franchise, I said that it's on part with the other top dogs of the franchise

I mean, at least they don't let their opinion in its themes cloud their judgment on the games, like most mainstream outlets do nowadays

I thought their review was pretty good tbh.

Yeah, but i can't help but focus on the comments that can't get with the idea that God can't be defeated. Or wasn't at his full power someway somehow

I know not to but its so narrow minded. And as most said the morality thing is odd. But its better than most since most reviewers shit on IVA while missing the themes and stuff and it was doing

Morality score is more for parents who let their kids play M rated games or those with a weak constitution really.

Hello, is there any link to where I could read the Shin Megami Tensei novels and mangas? I only have Digital Devil Story 1 and 2 novels but I cannot find the third even in raws.

Back