• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Megami Tensei General Discussion Thread

256507-digital-devil-story-megami-tensei-nes-front-cover.jpg

The title should be fairly self-explanatory, but this is a thread dedicated to the discussion of the Megami Tensei franchise and its related media.

Pretty sure there's already one, but it's superrrr dead. Well anyway, I wanna know what you guys think about SMT V.
It was a fun game. Personally didn't mind the story too much, but the gameplay was amazing, especially the combat and open world.

Really wish the Fiend content wasn't DLC though. But that's just a certified Atlus moment.

I agree with AverageUsername regarding SMTV. I think in terms of gameplay (specifically combat and exploration), it was one of the strongest in the series (minus the level-scaling and buff/debuff stack limit). However, I felt that the game's story and characters (especially the alignment representatives) left a lot to be desired. Ironically I absolutely adored some of the lore and worldbuilding additions, however, and I think the game has my favorite depiction of Lucifer in the entire franchise.

Pretty sure there's already one, but it's superrrr dead. Well anyway, I wanna know what you guys think about SMT V.
Probably my favorite out of all SMT games. Also one of the best looking games on the switch. And to think they had to make it look “worse” than normal for the game to run smoother.

What I would like is for that damn 4th ending to actually make sense with what it’s required to unlock it. What the hell does the Egyptian Side stories have to do with the 4th ending? Wasted potential there.

though the OSTs are kinda lacking IMO.
I feel like the soundtrack fits well within the context of the game, but was somewhat unremarkable as a standalone album. A significant portion of V's soundtrack is ambient, droning music. It works as another component that sustains the overall atmosphere and vibe that the game was trying to create, but the OST never resonated with me outside of that (with the exception of a few songs such as Eos and the main theme).

What the hell does the Egyptian Side stories have to do with the 4th ending? Wasted potential there.
The entire Egyptian quest line was actually one of my favorites in the entire game, because of how it provided more backstory and development to Miyazu and Khonsu, two characters who are otherwise neglected in the main story. That being said, I completely agree that the requirements for unlocking the alternative neutral ending are rather arbitrary. In my opinion most, if not all, of the requirements for that ending should've been part of the main quest anyway. The Khonsu and Amanozako quest lines in particular provide closure to relatively important characters - I'm not sure why they were cast aside.

I feel like the soundtrack fits well within the context of the game, but was somewhat unremarkable as a standalone album. A significant portion of V's soundtrack is ambient, droning music. It works as another component that sustains the overall atmosphere and vibe that the game was trying to create, but the OST never resonated with me outside of that (with the exception of a few songs such as Eos and the main theme).

The entire Egyptian quest line was actually one of my favorites in the entire game, because of how it provided more backstory and development to Miyazu and Khonsu, two characters who are otherwise neglected in the main story. That being said, I completely agree that the requirements for unlocking the alternative neutral ending are rather arbitrary. In my opinion most, if not all, of the requirements for that ending should've been part of the main quest anyway. The Khonsu and Amanozako quest lines in particular provide closure to relatively important characters - I'm not sure why they were cast aside.
At least you only need to do the quest line once to unlock the true ending for future playthroughs

I feel like it doesnt hold up after SMT IVA lmao.

which game is stronger atlus without counting shin megami tensei person and derivatives say digital survivor and more

I found some decent stuff from Soul Hackers 2. The collective unconscious is also stated to be made of data and information, souls are made up of the same data looking substance as memories, and magic spells can damage a demon's data

Isn't all of that already well-established? Wouldn't hurt to have more supporting evidence, I suppose.
Some of the evidence in Soul Hackers 2 is more blatant. There's also an unknown character said to have power that surpasses this collective unconscious or sea of information, and apparently the Great Will can be summoned with 5 covenants.

The data that makes up one's soul looks the same as the data that makes up memories. Memories are also stored in the soul

Giving an ego or mind to a body will cause it to develop a soul

Restoring someone's soul will cause their wounds to close up, like a sort of reflex

Because Ringo's soul merged with Arrow's, Arrow couldn't summon and control demons with his COMP, so maybe summoning demons requires something inside the user's soul

Attacks in this game damage the data that makes up demons, but it doesn't seem to damage the data of humans for some reason?

Again, these are good for supplementing what has already been agreed upon, but I don't think they're groundbreaking or anything of the sort. The "Collective Unconsciousness" and "Data and Information" segments of the cosmology blog already posit that the soul/mind are comprised of information.

Again, these are good for supplementing what has already been agreed upon, but I don't think they're groundbreaking or anything of the sort. The "Collective Unconsciousness" and "Data and Information" segments of the cosmology blog already posit that the soul/mind are comprised of information.
Wow I didn't know the cosmology blog talked about characters being stronger than the collective unconscious and summoning the great will

Wow I didn't know the cosmology blog talked about characters being stronger than the collective unconscious and summoning the great will
I was clearly referring to the "Souls=Minds=Information" evidence in my last post. I never said that evidence didn't belong in the blog. I'm simply arguing that you're over-exaggerating the magnitude of these findings.

Whether or not a character is "stronger than the Collective Unconscious" isn't necessarily pertinent to the overarching cosmology, and the ability to summon The Great Will through the Covenants would be more of a brief addendum than anything else.

I was clearly referring to the "Souls=Minds=Information" evidence in my last post. I never said that evidence didn't belong in the blog. I'm simply arguing that you're over-exaggerating the magnitude of these findings.

Whether or not a character is "stronger than the Collective Unconscious" isn't necessarily pertinent to the overarching cosmology, and the ability to summon The Great Will through the Covenants would be more of a brief addendum than anything else.
Stronger than the Axiom and Maruki

Demons naturally exist in the Expanse, a higher-dimensional realm that transcends past, present, and future[15], which formed of Magnetite, in which even a jar of it can erode one's mind[5].

I just remembered that this should be replaced. This jar of magnetite was highly concentrated, I doubt every demon is exposed to this level of magnetite. Assiah is also filled with magnetite, by this logic regular humans would have a similar level of mental resistance but that would be circular because Toki wouldn't have been affected by it. There's probably some evidence that everywhere in the Expanse has enough of a magnetite concentration that would erode one's mind

Can someone tell me an instance where a demon survives in the collective unconscious?

I got like 7 cycles on a save file in SMT5. And I have yet to feel any form of fatigue. This game is really something.

If I didn’t have a life, I’d probably have 40 cycles.
Yeah, the game is great. All it needs is a Nocturne Maniax type update to the story and it'll be perfect.

Those seem to be all the deities that have a role in Ragnarok. Mada could alter the fate of everyone and it was even more powerful that Norn's. I assume that Mada's fate manipulation would work similar to Norn's which should work the same as Odin and should be able to do things like protect almost any outcome that leads to death
That seems fine then. Though Norn's fate manipulation is what's binding Odin to die at Ragnarok, the two aren't really comparable in that regard.

Back