• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Marvel Cosmology Downgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
In mathematics, transfinite numbers are numbers that are "infinite" in the sense that they are larger than all finite numbers
Everyone knows that, it's still aleph null.
But was it firmly established that Cantor's higher degrees of infinity directly applied to the Marvel multiverse itself?
The infinities they used is terribly wrong. If the maths and infinities is not correctly used then it shouldn't be applied but just what explaination has been given should be considered. We don't have to use irl infinities if verse don't follow it.

But was it firmly established that Cantor's higher degrees of infinity directly applied to the Marvel multiverse itself?
Yes. "For the multiverse is literally a transfinite number -- that is, a number greater than infinity -- of universe."

"There are, of course, an infinite number of levels of infinity. Towering above us is a being possessed of a transfinite level of power many orders of magnitude beyond our own."

And i don't think marvel deserves that tier for using math wrong.
They used it to establish higher infinity levels of power. The fact that he couldn't google bijection in the 90s shouldn't overwrite that.

Yes, in aleph null sense, which is countable infinity.
Everyone knows that, it's still aleph null.
No. All aleph numbers are transfinite. In the text they say that aleph null is the starting point, and that it reaches to aleph infinity. So we cannot rewrite this to say it's just describing aleph null when it explicitly is not.

Yes. "For the multiverse is literally a transfinite number -- that is, a number greater than infinity -- of universe."

"There are, of course, an infinite number of levels of infinity. Towering above us is a being possessed of a transfinite level of power many orders of magnitude beyond our own."
And i am saying that shouldn't be anything more than aleph 0. Aleph 0 still can have infinite infinites, but are countable. That's what i see from the scans.

No. All aleph numbers are transfinite. In the text they say that aleph null is the starting point, and that it reaches to aleph infinity. So we cannot rewrite this to say it's just describing aleph null when it explicitly is not.
I don't really care if they are mentioning the whole hierarchy of aleph numbers, they just use it wrong.

Transfinite just means numbers greater than all countable infinites. Aleph 1 is the first uncountable infinity.

Well as gasper said, infinities explaination been used wrong as in entirety. They discribed bigger infinities in their explaination as nothing more than aleph0 in the aleph0

Infact one interpretation can be that bigger infinities in the verse just comes after infinity as in ordinal number but amount to same that is aleph null, it doesn't have to be bigger in terms of size.

So I'll leave it here. Verse explaination of infinities doesn't follows irl rules.

And i am saying that shouldn't be anything more than aleph 0. Aleph 0 still can have infinite infinites, but are countable
So essentially this comes down to, "should we ignore what the comic says literally about an infinite level of greater infinities because they didn't describe bijection in a mathematically accurate way?" And you are in the camp of "yes."

I am very firmly in the camp of "no." They said there were an infinite level of infinities, each greater than the last. This was explicitly used in connection with the number of universes as well as levels of power. It doesn't get much clearer than that. Ignoring all of that because "they established it by adding odds and evens and not bijection" is a rather a flimsy reason to ignore all of the evidence.

So essentially this comes down to, "should we ignore what the comic says literally about an infinite level of greater infinities because they didn't describe bijection in a mathematically accurate way?" And you are in the camp of "yes."

I am very firmly in the camp of "no." They said there were an infinite level of infinities, each greater than the last. This was explicitly used in connection with the number of universes as well as levels of power. It doesn't get much clearer than that. Ignoring all of that because "they established it by adding odds and evens and not bijection" is a rather a flimsy reason to ignore all of the evidence.
Well, i can also say you are ignoring what's in the text itself and you're trying to make sense of something that clearly is contradicting itself. even numbers are greater than odds is quite a red flag, isn't it? Why should we ignore that?

2 times infinite, it requires uncountably times larger than infinite to reach another level or higher than existing tier tho.
Two infinities are only larger than each other if one is uncountable. Which means their reference to Cantors aleph numbers, described as "an infinite series of infinite numbers, all greater than eachother" is describing aleph null all the way to aleph infinity.

i can also say you are ignoring what's in the text itself and you're trying to make sense of something that clearly is contradicting itself.
Except I am not ignoring the text. I fully recognize that they didn't describe bijection accurately. I am just not going to try and use that to downplay what the text is explicitly saying.

Two infinities are only larger than each other if one is uncountable. Which means their reference to Cantors aleph numbers, described as "an infinite series of infinite numbers, all greater than eachother" is describing aleph null all the way to aleph infinity.

Except I am not ignoring the text. I fully recognize that they didn't describe bijection accurately. I am just not going to try and use that to downplay what the text is explicitly saying.
I don't think you understand what we are trying to say. So let me explain it better:
In the comic itself it says that one "higher" infinity is just 2 times larger that the previous one. That's not how alephs work. There isn't just "evens are greater than odds" thing but also how the writer thinks each infinity is just 2 times bigger than the lower one.

The difference between aleph 0 and aleph 1 is that they are inaccessible numbers and not necessarily irrational. Because we're talking about dimensions, not mathematical logic.

Last edited:
I don't think you understand what we are trying to say. So let me explain it better:
In the comic itself it says that one "higher" infinity is just 2 times larger that the previous one. That's not how alephs work. There isn't just "evens are greater than odds" thing but also how the writer thinks each infinity is just 2 times bigger than the lower one.
I understand just fine. As I said, I recognize that they did not use bijection correctly. Despite that, they clearly establish that they are referring to greater infinities and use the word "transfinite" and reference Cantor who is the one that established the existence of uncountable infinities, and this is used to directly establish higher levels of infinite power.

{2^aleph0}=aleph1/ This is axiom of power in zfc

I understand just fine. As I said, I recognize that they did not use bijection correctly. Despite that, they clearly establish that they are referring to greater infinities and use the word "transfinite" and reference Cantor who is the one that established the existence of uncountable infinities, and this is used to directly establish higher levels of infinite power.
Look, i really don't care anymore. If you want that upgrade, that's fine. But i don't think anyone will take "cantor is mentioned and the word transfinite" seriously.

But i don't think anyone will take "cantor is mentioned and the word transfinite" seriously.
I don't think anyone will take "None of the greater infinities are real because he didn't understand bijection" seriously.

The main point here in the scan is that they don't even know what uncountable infinity is. So them having it as intentions when they already made it reachable with just 2ice the amount of countable infinity doesn't makes sense. Something they don't know or don't understand cannot be guaranteed that they used it correctly for what they were seeking.

Aleph 0 isn't "an infinite series of infinite numbers, each greater than each other."
Aleph null can absolutely have infinite countable infinities. Though not "greater".
But still, i don't think we should ignore all the red flags. But hey, that's just my irrelevant opinion.

Neither do pretty much any authors who have characters tiered at that level.
Then it's clear that they didn't mean uncountable infinity whatsover when they don't know what it is. They made it reachable with twice and that should be taken.

Either contradict the fiction or contradict irl to use it in fiction. Non will help by the way.

Neither do pretty much any authors who have characters tiered at that level.
Alot of mathematics based verses do know how set theory works.

For example: self reference engine and the white light novel. Which are literally writen by mathematicians.

Alot of mathematics based verses do know how set theory works.

For example: self reference engine and the white light novel. Which are literally writen by mathematicians.
I'm not saying no authors do. I said the vast majority of authors who have characters in that tier do not.

Like? Besides marvel.
Sorry, you're asking me for examples of authors who do not know advanced mathematics, in the context of disagreeing with my statement that the vast majority of authors don't know obscure math theories?

I mean it's simple that author doesn't understand.
It's simple what is in text is not enough to get any higher tier.

If neither author intentions nor the words in fiction helps then i don't understand why it should even taken.

Sorry, you're asking me for examples of authors who do not know advanced mathematics, in the context of disagreeing with my statement that the vast majority of authors don't know obscure math theories?
No, i'm just interested what you think.

It's simple what is in text is not enough to get any higher tier.
"Infinite levels of greater infinity" explicitly stated twice isn't enough for a higher tier? Sheesh.

If neither author intentions nor the words in fiction helps then i don't understand why it should even taken.
The words help a great deal.

But he is clearly not describing highly alephs because... ugh, i can't just be repeating myself.
Because he got bijection wrong. I remember. But he's directly establishing an infinite hierarchy of greater infinities, which is all we really need.

I must agree with @Deagonx. Reiner and Gasper are just nitpicking at the author not knowing bijection, when the Author explicitly phrase more than once that there are greater infinites, says about transfinites, and says that there is an infinite series of aleph numbers.

I mean get it added if you want but keep in mind in establishing this precedent, there are alot of verses with the concept of 2*infinity considering greater. They'll scale.

I mean get it added if you want but keep in mind in establishing this precedent, there are alot of verses with the concept of 2*infinity considering greater. They'll scale.
This is just what the author tried to explain in the beginning, but then he explicitly talks about several math theories, and then e got into Cantor's theory of transfinite aleph numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back