• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Marvel Cosmology Downgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, they absolutely can. This is fiction, not science.
Well okay, Me don't care about marvel but just pointing out that they didn't understood what cantor's said correctly and interpreted it in wrong way while their intentions was to establish several levels of transfinite structures, they messed up the explanation part. But it's right both ways, not much to do ¯⁠\⁠⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠⁠/⁠¯

Beyond the dimensions of the regular 8th multiverse there are also the following higher realms, so that likely means +1 degree of infinity for at least some of them, although I think that only Overspace, The Beyond, and The White Hot Room had been established to exist for the 7th multiverse, meaning before Jonathan Hickman's Secret War event.

The multiverse had technically been shown to have been destroyed before, during the Abraxas Fantastic Four storyline and the Chaos War event, so we have really at least reached the 10th multiverse at this point, but Al Ewing seems to have ignored that.

For further information about the cosmology, please see here:

Well okay, Me don't care about marvel but just pointing out that they didn't understood what cantor's said correctly and interpreted it in wrong way while their intentions was to establish several levels of transfinite structures, they messed up the explanation part. But it's right both ways, not much to do ¯⁠\⁠⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠⁠/⁠¯
Intention dosen't matter if the execution is poor.

About the whole “incorrect use of math” thing, I’m not sure we can just overlook the fact that they’re using these terms wrong. I’d argue that if they’re defining these words incorrectly to begin with, we shouldn’t allow the actual mathematical definition to hold, regardless as to if the authors intent is there or not.

it’s definitely an awkward situation to evaluate, that’s for sure.

edit: it’s also important as to whether or not their definition actually fits within the framework of our tiering system. In which case, odd and even numbers adding up to a greater infinity definitely doesn’t equate to our tiering system definitions of higher infinities.

I’m not sure we can just overlook the fact that they’re using these terms wrong
If they had used the word wrong then I would have argued against it but the problem is, they used the “word” correct but explaination is entirely wrong and terrible at that.

If they had used the word wrong then I would have argued against it but the problem is, they used the “word” correct but explaination is entirely wrong and terrible at that.
We either take the buzzword at face value or adhere to the explanation the author gave us. I’d personally side with their explanation over the use of a term they clearly don’t understand.

No they didn't. They think the word "transfinite" means uncountable infinity, when that just isn't the case. The word "transfinite" is still just aleph null and nothing more.

I disagree with using the transfinite stuff from those scans, we simply just don't give incorrect scans a pass because author intent and when cases like this were found for other series they were always dismissed as proof. Author intent should be used as a way to fill in the blanks when a work doesn't provide enough information, and not when a work provides completely wrong information.

Mind you, I'm not saying that Marvel doesn't have higher dimension, just that the transifinite parts pointed out shouldn't be used.

Those scans referring to transfinite numbers doesn't get you any higher than 1 level of infinity regardless of what that 1 level of infinity represents unless ofc there is a scan saying so. In short it's unreliable.
Transfinite there used to described the number of universes that it's more than infinite universes, not levels of existences.

So I think it doesn't affect tiering.

Beyond the dimensions of the regular 8th multiverse there are also the following higher realms, so that likely means +1 degree of infinity for at least some of them, although I think that only Overspace, The Beyond, and The White Hot Room had been established to exist for the 7th multiverse, meaning before Jonathan Hickman's Secret War event.

The multiverse had technically been shown to have been destroyed before, during the Abraxas Fantastic Four storyline and the Chaos War event, so we have really at least reached the 10th multiverse at this point, but Al Ewing seems to have ignored that.

For further information about the cosmology, please see here:

I would still very greatly appreciate help from all knowledgeable members here regarding research and practical structured solutions for how we should most reliably scale Marvel Comics cosmology.

So exactly what dimension is Marvel in recent years?

externalFile-2023_01_21_20_05_39.jpg

Deep space=2-A
Super flow=2-A or 5d(Superflow seems to be described only as space between each universe rather than infinity higher than multiverse.)
Exo-space=5d or 6d

I'm sure up to here.

The mystery was first described as part of the multiverse but later described as being outside the multiverse.
1674299169409.png

RCO023%EF%BC%BFw%EF%BC%BF1607525695.jpg

Mystery will be 6d or 7d anyway.

Outside = Mystery = The Beyond that Mefisto mentioned seems to have changed.

The beyond is literally just outside the multiverse because it's the wreckage of the second multiverse.

Land of Couldn't-Be-Shouldn't-Be would be 6d or 7d because it's a white space that dwarfs Eternity.(But I don't know how to compare this to a mystery.)

The House of Ideas will be 7d or 8d because it views all these dimensions as fiction.

I may be wrong because I don't know much about Marvel.

About the whole “incorrect use of math” thing, I’m not sure we can just overlook the fact that they’re using these terms wrong. I’d argue that if they’re defining these words incorrectly to begin with, we shouldn’t allow the actual mathematical definition to hold, regardless as to if the authors intent is there or not.

I would strongly disagree. They went so far as to explicitly reference Cantor, who established uncountable infinities, and explicitly used them to establish the notion of greater infinities. The only slip up was that in explaining the concept of greater infinities, they used two countable infinities added together. In comparison to a lot of the other evidence used to establish uncountable infinities, this is probably some of the best there is. It's not like other comics are explaining mathematical bijection as a proof for uncountable infinities before they get rated like that.

As far as "evidence for higher infinities" go, this is the most explicit and clear I've ever seen.

I would strongly disagree. They went so far as to explicitly reference Cantor, who established uncountable infinities, and explicitly used them to establish the notion of greater infinities. The only slip up was that in explaining the concept of greater infinities, they used two countable infinities added together. In comparison to a lot of the other evidence used to establish uncountable infinities, this is probably some of the best there is. It's not like other comics are explaining mathematical bijection as a proof for uncountable infinities before they get rated like that.

As far as "evidence for higher infinities" go, this is the most explicit and clear I've ever seen.
Like i said in my previous comment, they also said one infinity is just two times bigger that the previous one and used the word "transfinite" wrong as well.

Marvel also doesn't use set theory well at all and there are far better arguments for it in fiction, like scp for example.

There are alot of verses who follows concept of 2 times infinity, still they didn't get any rating higher than what infinity represents.

Also, if they don't understand infinities, what's the guarantee that they used it to represent what we say qualitative superiority as per our tiering system?

Also, if they don't understand infinities, what's the guarantee that they used it to represent what we say qualitative superiority as per our tiering system?
Like i said in my previous comment, they also said one infinity is just two times bigger that the previous one and used the word "transfinite" wrong as well.
Because they use it explicitly to establish the concept of qualitative superiority.

"Do we not possess infinite power?"

"Yes, our might is infinite, but there are levels of infinity."

If the gap can be filled by adding countable infinite into countable infinite then it's not next level of infinite neither the qualitative superiority.
Exactly, aleph null should never be able to reach aleph 1 no matter how many transfinite hierarchies you give it. It is completely unreachable to any and all lower infinites.

Because they use it explicitly to establish the concept of qualitative superiority.

"Do we not possess infinite power?"

"Yes, our might is infinite, but there are levels of infinity."
Yes, they are infinite in aleph null sense and nothing more.

He is obviously talking about alephs beyond 0, up to infinity (aleph omega), the author not having correctly expressed bijection, is the same as the members of this forum who usually get it wrong but have their intentions in talking about larger aleph numbers from uncountable infinite set levels and beyond.

He is obviously talking about alephs beyond 0, up to infinity (aleph omega), the author not having correctly expressed bijection, is the same as the members of this forum who usually get it wrong but have their intentions in talking about larger aleph numbers from uncountable infinite set levels and beyond.
This is different though, author/writer of comics/novels should do research before stating nonsensical statements like that.

It should have made sense atleast for what I was arguing unless, they haven't used the word 2 times. That gets even the intentions of the authors under question.

Yes, they are infinite in aleph null sense and nothing more.
That's definitely wrong. What he said was: "Cantor was the first to study what he called transfinite numbers, starting with aleph -- an infinite series of infinite numbers, all greater than each other."

Aleph Null is described as ground zero.

This is different though, author/writer of comics/novels should do research before stating nonsensical statements like that.
Perhaps, but that doesn't change the scaling. The guy is a comic author, not a mathematician. The only reason anyone here knows what uncountable infinities and bijection is due to the nature of this forum. Given the circumstances, he did pretty well in explaining it in a way that was understandable to the common reader.

That's definitely wrong. What he said was: "Cantor was the first to study what he called transfinite numbers, starting with aleph -- an infinite series of infinite numbers, all greater than each other."

Aleph Null is described as ground zero.
I get it, but the writer didn't understand what transfinite even means. He says how alephs are transfinite numbers, but transfinite dosen't mean infinite, just something bigger than all countable numbers.

The guy is a comic author, not a mathematician. The only reason anyone here knows what uncountable infinities and bijection is due to the nature of this forum. Given the circumstances, he did pretty well in explaining it in a way that was understandable to the common reader.
And that is why we should leave mathematics behind and takes the statement as it is considering its fiction, when the maths of the verse is not correct then there is no need to use it whatsover.

I get it, but the writer didn't understand what transfinite even means. He says how alephs are transfinite numbers, but transfinite dosen't mean infinite, just something bigger than all countable numbers.

In mathematics, transfinite numbers are numbers that are "infinite" in the sense that they are larger than all finite numbers

It is totally fine to refer to transfinite numbers as infinite.

And that is why we should leave mathematics behind and takes the statement as it is considering its fiction.
Okay, but the statement makes it extremely clear that there are an infinite level of greater infinities?

But was it firmly established that Cantor's higher degrees of infinity directly applied to the Marvel multiverse itself?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back