• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mario and Paint: Concept Manip 2 (First Half)

Tbf if Mario got all of his paint lost when his HPs reach zero, having the Sucking Shy Guy comes sucking his paint would be useless.

Also for EE: we see a bunch of colorless Toads during the game, and they sure aren't erased.
NEP type 2 for some toads

You think stones and trees have NEP too?

Not doing assumptions such as everyone in the world interracting with Non-Existent beings ("non-existent" being never stated at all too) and erasing others when they can't even touch souls half of the time is just normal.

You think stones and trees have NEP too?

Not doing assumptions such as everyone in the world interracting with Non-Existent beings ("non-existent" being never stated at all too) and erasing others when they can't even touch souls half of the time is just normal.
They can normally touch souls in many games, but that has nothing to do with it
There are certain random rocks mario cannot destroy, and you're surprised certain trees have NEP? Theyre not even normal trees theyve basically been erased

I genuinely don't know how to respond to this.
Remotely implying NEP for everything in the Marioverse is a no.
Color Splash never portrayed this as erasure anywhere and it doesn't act like one. You just lose your properties.

practically the whole of mario being able to go NEP type 2 or having EE is really ******* stupid. and what your using to back this up with paint drainage even though all that EVER happens is the loss of properties? circular reasoning, plain as the sun in the cloudless sky.

It seems to conceptually erase them but not physically erase they are just completely inert it's some weird petrification I guess would be the best way to describe it.

Oh dear. A few posts have happened. I'll do what I can to respond succinctly but in truth without some other bits of evidence coming forward I'm stalwart in my rejection of the things I haven't accepted.

ElixirBlue said:
I got a question for an alternative. If Mario isn't losing paint to enemies when they attack and cause a Game Over but enemies are losing paint to Mario's attacks and die or k.o., what is happening?
My immediate assumption is that this isn't a conceptual thing at all, but I am being forced to assume it is, even though you yourself are providing examples that this wouldn't be the case by asking questions like this

There's a number of explanations. None of them good unless the game explains them. If you have an actual explanation regarding this from the game, I'm down to hear it, though.

Garchomp777 said:
NEP type 2 for some toads

Yeah see the other issue with this is, when I was watching, what tipped me off to "colorless =/= conceptually nonexistent" was flowers that needed painted in. Some fishy assumptions going on here.

DaReaperMan said:
practically the whole of mario being able to go NEP type 2 or having EE is really ******* stupid. and what your using to back this up with paint drainage even though all that EVER happens is the loss of properties? circular reasoning, plain as the sun in the cloudless sky.

Bit dramatic for my taste but this does make a good point- I don't think at any point your paint is a full on creature-defining concept (if we are to assume it is a concept, of course). I think it is a modifier. A property. Removing paint isn't EEing something and lacking paint isn't NEP Type 2, it is lacking properties you likely possess. This also explains why adding paint to Mario does shit like change his mood.

i agree with everything except for Death Manip and EE, not enough to actually say either of those happen, and frankly NEP type 2 isnt exactly justified enough to say that they completely lack a concept.

I agree with all except: Death Manip, EE, Biological Manip, Both Stats Manip, Possession, and Pain manip.

Fourth wall manip seems to just be a form of Perception Manip, or just Mario's eyes getting inked.

Matter manip is... weird? Why not elemental instead.

two brick walls ramming into eachother, this gon be good!
Really not a fan of such. Toxic threads only give a bad taste in one's mouth. Obviously anybody is free enough to their opinions and to state 'em, but trying to start shit paints folks poorly.

Oh well. This's what I get for helping, I s'pose.

im not trying to start *****, but i do think that Matthew can be helpful for this thread, though the volatile opinion on Mario upgrades may limit that, I think we can have a debate like Adults and not Kids in a "my dad is better then your dad" argument.
Matt is the destroyer of Super Mario Low 2-C upgrades.
32039A542C06DF70500943B2CE3344FA2B74D2D6

I wanted that upgrade to go through... but thats an issue for another time

im not trying to start *****, but i do think that Matthew can be helpful for this thread, though the volatile opinion on Mario upgrades may limit that, I think we can have a debate like Adults and not Kids in a "my dad is better then your dad" argument.

32039A542C06DF70500943B2CE3344FA2B74D2D6

I wanted that upgrade to go through... but thats an issue for another time
That's fine, you just phrased it in the way I always see on this wiki, where people hype up incoming chaos. Shit's annoying, yo. If you were just memeing, no worries homie.

okay so i misremembered there was no statement saying exactly that paint makes up everything, but i did remember that if you hit npcs in game you can actually get paint from them, which include the ghosts at the dark bloo inn

Anyways, shouldn't the fact it's stated to make up blood, sweat, and tears as well as multiple statements it brings life at least grant Life Manip for Paint?

Here we can see that paint pretty much makes up life.

The Toad and Princess Peach both confirm he was dead prior to having paint restored with the Toad even shouting surprise at suddenly being alive again. The Shy Guys drained him of his color and he was in a state of death. You restore it with paint.

Also, the fact Mario can make a 3D metal paint can into paper and that NPCs with drained segments can't feel those areas they've lost and can't move them should provide more proof for Bio Manip than the reviving of the skeleton.

I got a question for an alternative. If Mario isn't losing paint to enemies when they attack and cause a Game Over but enemies are losing paint to Mario's attacks and die or k.o., what is happening?
game design tbh

like in pokemon, when you beat a trainer they don't rush to the poke center but the player character does when they get beaten.

The paint can is sentient which is why I included it, but he can make a 3D Bone into paper too. Should've included that.

I do think that this is enough evidence for Death Manipulation and Ressurection
I agree with Resurrection. I disagree with Death Manip. Even if it is the "blood sweat and tears" of the paint bucket creature, that really only serves to show my earlier analogy even more- taking all the blood out of someone isn't Death Manip. This should be fairly clear cut.

I'm also fine with Life Manip. But not Death Manip.

Back