• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Making Speed Equalized matches unaddable to files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frankly why have any matches on any files

Now, keep in mind I care so little about this topic that I barely feel any significance in even placing that suggestion forward, but I've heard it spoken ad nauseum for like, 3 years now that this is an indexing site primarily, yet our profiles show our "official" take on matchups, leading to some substantial stretching of the rules ala the speed equalization thing that began this thread in the first place, or just, very weird rulings on the interactions between powers or frankly just, any amount of things that could be stupid on a matchup we make, breeding toxicity that never needed to be there to begin with.

Now, to be clear, what I'm saying is a very distinct thing from removing the idea of Versus threads whatsoever, I just really have to wonder at this point the purpose of having them on the pages, now that the thought's in my head.
The simple answer is because people like them that way. This is a hobby, what people like should be taken into account, even if it doesn't always make sense. I don't know that anyone considers the matches the official VSBW take, though- after all, a good swathe of them just have zero staff votes at all.

People like their matches being represented on pages to give an idea of what the community voted on a particular matchup under particular conditions. Ain't harmful, it's already standard, I'd be opposed to removing that, too.

Let me just say that while I said earlier that I don't think Speed Equalized Matches should be added, I have changed my opinion thanks to a friend. I don't even personally do Vs Debates on the forums, so it's easy for me to say what the structured and logical thing to do is, but my friend who does Vs Debates here very much prefers Speed Equalized Matches and I really don't want to take that away from him.

I shouldn't even get a say because I really don't do em, whoever actually participates in Vs Debates on the site should decide what they want IMO

I disagree with the removal of speed equal threads. For starters speed in of itself is far more varied in where characters are rated than something like AP, considering you have characters that reach MFTL despite being tier 8, to having characters that are tier 2 but have MHS reaction at best. Removing the one thing that let's certain matchups be possible and have more of a discussion beyond "lol speed" is something a lot of folks enjoy to do, especially when said matches can be added into the pages, which is one of the big appeal of being in the vs wiki, not just you being able to debate these matches, but the results being listed as a form of achievement for said character. If we axe this and essentially remove 90% or more matches from the site, then not many people are going to remotely care in the long run, and have less of a reason to do anything in this site. Hell the main reason why we had speed equalized be a requirement to have legit matchups be added was because a lot of matchups back in the day all boiled down to "lol speedblitz gg" and nothing more, no mention on the character's in character mindset, their abilities, how they'd work around their opponent's advantages, etc. I'd likely go more in depth but it seems the rest said the same thing I'd say, so yeah put me for No on removing speed equal threads.

As Wizard Bambu said, you should take in account not only what you like, what hobby you have but also of those other members. I mean, 70% if not more of the people here don't care for matches, but what of the rest of the users? Lets say we agree and go with the removal of speed equal, most of people here won't be affected but the rest of the users that come on this forum will be as their main focus is debating vs-threads and then if the match is finished they would like to see it represented on the profile. Should we remove this we would satisfy a hand of people while ignoring the mass that actually participate in such activities.

I probably won’t post here again after this.

It’s weird and arbitrary that speed specifically is equalised, but it’s so benign.

There’s some arbitrary things that can just be arbitrary, like excluding non-humanoids from a kill count. Not everything has to make perfect sense.

I honestly don’t see much reason to change anything (at least if we’re not getting rid of VS matches/speed equalisation altogether), but that’s just my opinion.

Edit: Also, making this a staff only thread, while not the worst move to keep this thread a civilised discussion below 5 pages, is the equivalent to asking a bunch of people who’ve never seen a machine in their life to decide if we should erase the internet.

Last edited:
And while we’re here I’d suggest we make a multiplier for a speed blitz similar to an AP stomp, so as to clarify what works under speed unequalized or not.
Got permission from KT, does anyone here plan to at least try this again? Cause from what i know it has been tried 2 or 3 times in the past with no results, and if speed equal is problem having a solid rule of where they start to happen would greatly diminish the amount of "it's equal just to be sure" matches.

Sure, if speed equal will not get removed this doesn't have to be any priority but it still feels like an important thing IMO.

Got permission from KT, does anyone here plan to at least try this again? Cause from what i know it has been tried 2 or 3 times in the past with no results, and if speed equal is problem having a solid rule of where they start to happen would greatly diminish the amount of "it's equal just to be sure" matches.

Sure, if speed equal will not get removed this doesn't have to be any priority but it still feels like an important thing IMO.
Does anybody here have any good suggestions for this?
I'd be happy to remove the Speedster category if I can get the go ahead to do that.
I personally would not mind. What do the rest of you think?

Eh, go for it. I don't feel too strongly about it one way or the other but if it's too subjective and arbitrary then I don't mind its removal.

I personally would not mind. What do the rest of you think?
If it's hard to actually pin down objectively what a speedster is, then we might need to make rules and have stricter supervision because of that category which might not actually be worth the effort. I don't mind the category being removed either.

Okay. Thank you for the replies. I think that we probably have sufficient support for Damage to remove the Speedsters category then.

Okay. I will do so. Thank you to everybody who helped out here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back