• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Low 7-B tournament. Round 1, Match 2. Ultear vs Midnight

Damn I know this is overboard but my stubborn brain wants me to ask “does the manga say it’s because of Reflector”. So I’m gonna ask that. In addition to “can you show me”. Cuz can’t this just be the guy simply missing and hitting the illusion instead of the real body?
Midnight only ever using phrases like "magic can't harm me" or the like when referring to the defensive aspect of reflector and not the illusions created from them. So it would be out of character for him to say such things about only his illusions. There's also the fact that Hoteye, the guy is the scans I posted earlier, has a magic that allows him to track people even through solid objects and great distances and given Hoteye and Midnight were originally teammates and would have knowledge on the each others magic, it wouldn't make sense for him to lose to just Midnight's illusions alone given his prior knowledge.

Well, even so, can't Ultear's attack still just home in on him over and over until he brings down reflector? It should track things that are... y'know, actually there.

Well, even so, can't Ultear's attack still just home in on him over and over until he brings down reflector?
Its possible yeah, but Midnight could also easily just play the stamina game and out last Ultear's magic power if all she's gonna do is spam her attacks endlessly. Its a close match as both have counters to one another. But she just doesn't have a super reliable way to get past illusions. Sure, she could just spam attacks everywhere with the hope of landing a hit on midnight, but she's gonna run through her magic power like crazy that way and Midnight can just outlast her or finish her off when she gets tired.

Hm...
I don't mean to be that guy, I'm just not convinced-

Why can't Hoteye just- miss and hit the illusion? Yes- he says "Magic no worky", but he could have deflected the attack and acted like it hurt through illusions afterwards. But I guess that isn't enough- however

On his page- his deflection is passive, he can do it in his own sleep. If you claim that Midnight can do Illusions + Defense, then Erza should have never hit him- even if you claim that Midnight is "off-guard" at that moment, Erza still shouldn't be able to hit him if he can do it in his own sleep, that is as "off-guard" as you can get.

This is after the Hoteye fight too, so Erza listing off the weaknesses should apply to both fights.

And here I'll just post things from the Wiki to support the whole "one thing at a time" deal

"However, when the user is employing their refraction powers on the area surrounding them, they're incapable of using them elsewhere, and vice versa. Thus, when another area is being targeted, the user cannot properly shield themselves." - Distort Shield page

"The user can only use their refracting powers on a single area at a time, either around themselves or elsewhere." - Reflector Magic page

"Erza finally figures out two weaknesses in Midnight's powers: one: he can refract armor and weapons, but not human bodies; two: he can only refract objects one at a time" - Chapter 155 page

If i recall, in the Erza vs Midnight fight, Midnight is holding a shocked expression as Erza is explaining his stuff, meaning that she's pretty much right, otherwise he'd remain calm

In addition, Ultear also has Pain and Mind Control, the latter is through a ghostly entity, but I don't think reflector magic can work on something non-corpreal, it's a ghost after all

Last edited:
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrace.

though debate can go on if it's not ended.

Back