• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Low 7-B tournament. Round 1, Match 2. Ultear vs Midnight

this is what say the profile

Touta's severed limbs will not regrow unless they are destroyed, and thus he can be incapacitated if he loses his limbs or his head and if said limbs are kept away from his body.

Before I start It should be pointed out that Touta can't really be incapped like that in this key as he can freely control his severed limbs and reattach them. Also how potent is his duplication and matter manip?

@Imouto-tan 🔫🗿 Explain yourself
I probably should've stayed up a bit later to find a proper character, though I didn't think that Mid-High Regen is banned. I can just use Ultear if you want me to

Before I start It should be pointed out that Touta can't really be incapped like that in this key as he can freely control his severed limbs and reattach them. Also how potent is his duplication and matter manip?
Don't think it's really potent enough iirc
@Imouto-tan 🔫🗿 Explain yourself

I probably should've stayed up a bit later to find a proper character, though I didn't think that Mid-High Regen is banned. I can just use Ultear if you want me to
Just for safety sake, we can switch it to Ultear

I vote Midnight

Ultear has nothing that can get past against Reflector

i can be wrong tough so if you know say it,
thanks

But offensively Midnight can’t do much to Ultear right? If he does, he’ll get assaulted in all directions by her own attacks

Can Ultear do several spells at once? Like, protect herself with ice-make, while smacking Midnight with her balls?

I think that Ultear wins as she uses both ranged and H2H win fighting and she would realize how Midnight's ability works with time. Midnight's sadistic personality would come into play with him not finishing her off when he first has the chance to do so. Ultear has defensive magic that can be used to block his projectiles.

Ultear's Tenrou fight against Gray shows that she does switch between her orbs and H2H, with the capacity to understand and counter others while fighting, she even clowned on Tenrou Natsu for a bit too. With her ability to control her orbs from long range and switch between H2H she has the clear advantage in the fight.

So I am voting for her

EDIT: Her Ice-Make also seems to be on par with Gray's own and she can trade blows with Gray with ease. To explain even after Gray figured out how to counter her Arc of Time, she could still go toe-to-toe mostly with her Ice-Make.

Please ignore the Music but these are AMVs of her fight with Gray and this is one with her Natsu fight.

EDIT2: She can also disperse the fog by accelerating or reversing the time.

Last edited:
Can Ultear do several spells at once? Like, protect herself with ice-make, while smacking Midnight with her balls?
Technically there is nothing stopping her from using Ice-Make and the Orbs because we see in her fight with Gray she uses Ice-Make and then summons her Sword. In the Natsu fight, we see her reform a destroyed orb and also control orbs from a distance.

This is a very close fight as both have ways to get around each other's abilities. However Midnight should take this High Diff.

While Ultear can fire an insane around of projectiles continuously she won't be able to Brute force her way past reflector given it's nature of being more of a barrier that doesn't need Midnight to be aware of the attack to reflect it, given he can use it while he's asleep.

In fact the more projectiles she throws at him, the worse of a position she putting herself in as Midnight can throw it all back at her.

HtH is a sure fire way of getting hits in but midnight can always bind her with reflector, or when she spams attacks at him he just sends straight back at her which would make it difficult to close any sort of gap in either case.

However the one thing that I think gives midnight the win here is his illusions, Ultear has never shown any sort of counter to this sort of magic before and has comparable sensing to the likes of Jellal who was completely fooled by them. This would allow midnight to trick Ultear into letting her guard down by faking his own defeat like he did against hoteye, or use nightmare to mentally torment her with illusions of Ur given Brain, midnight's master, was the one who took her in initially and made her as powerful as she is, as he would likely know at least that much about her.

The thing is- is that Midnight can only twist one thing at a time. If he wants to defend, he’ll have to focus on just that, if he wants to attack, he leaves himself open.

Same with illusions. They may fool Ultear but she can spam attacks everywhere, or use homing attacks- since Midnight can reflect things while illusions are on (because it’s caused by the same ability), Midnight can’t defend himself, so that’s out too.

Basically, if Midnight ever tries to attack, he’ll get bopped. Binding also doesn’t work as well since Ultear is wearing fabric and not an armor

This is a very close fight as both have ways to get around each other's abilities. However Midnight should take this High Diff.

While Ultear can fire an insane around of projectiles continuously she won't be able to Brute force her way past reflector given it's nature of being more of a barrier that doesn't need Midnight to be aware of the attack to reflect it, given he can use it while he's asleep.

In fact the more projectiles she throws at him, the worse of a position she putting herself in as Midnight can throw it all back at her.

HtH is a sure fire way of getting hits in but midnight can always bind her with reflector, or when she spams attacks at him he just sends straight back at her which would make it difficult to close any sort of gap in either case.

However the one thing that I think gives midnight the win here is his illusions, Ultear has never shown any sort of counter to this sort of magic before and has comparable sensing to the likes of Jellal who was completely fooled by them. This would allow midnight to trick Ultear into letting her guard down by faking his own defeat like he did against hoteye, or use nightmare to mentally torment her with illusions of Ur given Brain, midnight's master, was the one who took her in initially and made her as powerful as she is, as he would likely know at least that much about her.
I mean Jellal was weakened at the time to be fair so I wouldn't really say that they are comparable and she could just halt her own orbs or use an Ice-shield to protect herself when deflected. Seeing as how she can switch between using the orbs and H2H Midnight would be hard press to actually counter both repeatedly.

I was requested to vote here. Unfortunately, I don't know either character very well, & have not made my own analysis. Given that, I would prefer to abstain from voting currently.
Sorry.

The thing is- is that Midnight can only twist one thing at a time. If he wants to defend, he’ll have to focus on just that, if he wants to attack, he leaves himself open.
Yes, but the time it takes to switch back and forth is barely noticeable, as he was able to switch in between Erza's close quarter's cuts several times without issue.
Same with illusions. They may fool Ultear but she can spam attacks everywhere, or use homing attacks- since Midnight can reflect things while illusions are on (because it’s caused by the same ability), Midnight can’t defend himself, so that’s out too.
Homing attacks aren't that useful if your homing onto illusions also its not like said homing attacks are infallible as they can still be dodged normally. Illusions can also be used with defense as well given that's what he did his entire fight with Hoteye. To break it down midnight has 5 different options for reflector, attack, defend, illusion, attack + illusion, and defend + illusion. they only one that's restricted is attack + defend, the other two combos are fair game as he has done both before.
Basically, if Midnight ever tries to attack, he’ll get bopped. Binding also doesn’t work as well since Ultear is wearing fabric and not an armor
Unless Ultear's clothes are made of some elastic material, which I don't think it's ever stated that they are, than reflector should still works. If for some reason it was stated, she still wears gauntlets and he could easily reflect those.

I mean Jellal was weakened at the time to be fair so I wouldn't really say that they are comparable and she could just halt her own orbs or use an Ice-shield to protect herself when deflected. Seeing as how she can switch between using the orbs and H2H Midnight would be hard press to actually counter both repeatedly.
I don't see how Jellal's level of strength corelates to his sensing abilities. And as I mentioned in the OG thread, he can fool the likes of Gray who has even more versatile sensing than Jellal does. She wouldn't be able to halt her own orbs otherwise Erza, who also has TK, would have been able to stop her own swords from being tossed back at her, instead of deflecting them. What's stopping Midnight from reflecting the orbs than binding her arms, so she can't use maker magic? Whats stopping Midnight from faking the orbs hitting him with Defend + illusion and waiting till Ultear drops her Guard?

Yes, but the time it takes to switch back and forth is barely noticeable, as he was able to switch in between Erza's close quarter's cuts several times without issue.

To break it down midnight has 5 different options for reflector, attack, defend, illusion, attack + illusion, and defend + illusion. they only one that's restricted is attack + defend, the other two combos are fair game as he has done both before.
Wait, so I’m confused. Illusion isn’t a twisting ability? That’s the only way he could Attack and Illusion at the same time with reflector… which makes me even more confused- how is Erza able to defeat/one shot midnight with a spear during the illusion if he can Reflect the spear attack away?

5-1

Wait, so I’m confused. Illusion isn’t a twisting ability? That’s the only way he could Attack and Illusion at the same time with reflector… which makes me even more confused- how is Erza able to defeat/one shot midnight with a spear during the illusion if he can Reflect the spear attack away?

5-1
It is a twisting ability, he creates illusions using reflector. The reason he lost was because he had no Idea that Erza had an artificial eye that could resist his illusions and he dropped his guard, she would have likely lost had she not been able to get past his illusions.

Edit: It also wasn't a true oneshot given she did damage him several times in the fight

Alright, is there a clip of him doing this somewhere? (I believe you, but I rather see it for myself to really confirm- since this is kinda contradicts the “one at a time” thing)

Alright, is there a clip of him doing this somewhere? (I believe you, but I rather see it for myself to really confirm- since this is kinda contradicts the “one at a time” thing)
Here:

Midnight gets "hurt", and is clearly enveloped by the attack, but it turns out that he was never injured at all due to reflector and simply created the illusion that he was and even put fake injuries on himself

Damn I know this is overboard but my stubborn brain wants me to ask “does the manga say it’s because of Reflector”. So I’m gonna ask that. In addition to “can you show me”. Cuz can’t this just be the guy simply missing and hitting the illusion instead of the real body?

also dammit I can’t find whatever battle this is on the wiki

Last edited:
Back