• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Johnny Joestar and the Infinite Rotation (High 3-A poll)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with it not being used to hurt with infinite energy at all times, but just 8-C over an infinite amount of time.

And you cannot count votes given without at least qouting or saying why you dis/agree.

Antvasima said:
It seems like ShiroyashaGinSan, who is a native Japanese speaker, has translated the original text as clearly stating that Johnny's attacks have infinite energy: https://vsbattles.com/vsbattles/2493677
This was already brought up and I presented an argument on how the word being used had been redefined by the rest of the manga's explanation on the Spin and infinite rotation.

KLOL506 said:
Huh.
Neat.
The fact that this was already mentioned and debunked in the original thread does not give me any faith in you having read through it.

Wait, I didn't type in that box. Guess it was a glitch.

I didn't make any arguments at all, Monarch.

Is no one gonna point out how Monarch added something to my comment even tho I had no idea of this CRT until a few hours back?

I seriously didn't type in this argument. I just said that the translation was neat, but I didn't pull up any lengthy argument.
Wut is this

Anyway, I'm in league with the reasonings of Prof, Kep and Shiro.

He isn't saying that you said it, he is saying that the added part was his rebuttal

Well, I am not informed enough to make an argument, so I am mostly neutral here, but both Shiroyasha and ALRF, who can read Japanese fluently, say that this is reliable, so that is worth listening to at least.

Then again, maybe the manga is simply inconsistent in its explanations?

The manga uses the word for infinity "mugen", which Shiro has translated to mean to limitless idea of infinity.

However, the manga itself repeatedly defines this "infinity" that the golden spiral aims for as something that means continuing forever, not something with infinite joules of force.

It's not that I don't have faith in his translation skills, it's that the manga changes the definition of the word he's translating.

And it's not inconsistent. The manga has never referred to the infinity as anything other than something that means continuing forever

Monarch, it would be better to bring some scans for that.

If you do I'm quiet sure most would agree (or you already did and I missed it.)

I have done so repeatedly, but here it is again.

Monarch Laciel said:
The gist of it is that every time Gyro gives an explanation on infinity (and if he uses the term mugen /þäíÚÖÉ in the Japanese, that means he's re-defining it as well), he always likens it to something that lasts forever, never something that hits with infinite force.

This is backed up by the explanation of the power of infinity which the Zepelli family is aiming for that Gyro gives Johhny. http://i.imgur.com/piYxv5K.png. A spiral that continues forever. Not something that hits with infinite force into a person all at once. This theme is repeated continuously throughout Part 7. The "power of infinity" that the Zepellis are seeking is defined as a spin that never stops, not a spin with infinite destructive energy.

This is also shown in IR itself. IR is a power that makes something spin forever, not something that hits you with infinity joules. See this panel, where reference is clearly made to the length of time it is affecting, not the force with which it is doing so. Also see this panel , where Valentine links "infinity" with "eternally", again showing how the "infinity" of Part 7 refers to something that goes on forever rather than something that is infinite in a single moment.

It could be a TL issue. Japanese often use eien which means lasting forever/eternity

It's why mugen is used for stuff like realm of infinite size, but for an exampke a place where time is stopped forever or an attack that continues on forever eien is more used

Can't confirm it to be the case for Jojo though but it's what it Jap usually do

Eng says: that spires forever

Japanese could say: that holds infinite energy

Or something like that. Or it could not say "Mugen" at all.

I think that Monarch Laciel seems to make sense.

I say take it away tbh. Monarch makes the most sense.

To be sure, gonna address this comment:

"I'd say keep it. He does have to generate that infinite energy himself."

-Tac

This is wrong. In fiction one could easily say that the spin achieves what might be called perfect energy conservation and generates its own energy, which has been a(n impossible) goal for a very long time now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back