• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

J.M. DeMatteis(Marvel Cosmology Split)

Yes, that is correct. 🙏
Unless I've missed something, the intro paragraph is the only place where the justifications for the cosmology split in itself are being explained, right?
As some of you may understand I have been advocating with Ultima after this tiering system revision was being applied that DeMatteis's story isn't very congruent with the main Cosmology. While authors like Hickman, Ewing, and many others seem to at least follow a certain contunity with their storytelling by incorporating the works of others, that can't really be said for DeMatteis. J.M. DeMatteis usually always writes his story specific to his belief and on story that focuses on “Creation” does it really show.

Thus, this thread is intended to split J.M. DeMatteis's work from the main Marvel continuity and @Ultima_Reality will be in charge of overseeing the change in the main system rating for Marvel after this change.

J.M. DeMatteis heavily focuses on elements that he knows from his journey in life. This is a big example of his “God” character as a being that is not meant to be tied to just the comics, but a holistic fountainhead that is not tethered to just one religion though it's heavily Hindu-based. Now, J.M. DeMatteis writing is very flowery and hard to understand especially when he was experimenting more with the Cosmology. This means some interpretation can be put for these scans.
The reasoning here is very brief, and doesn't actually elaborate on how the differences between this and the mainstream cosmology are necessarily irreconcilable. But overall, going strictly off the reasoning I've directly seen, I think it's reasonable to split the Divine Creator, Oblivion, and the original characters like the Fallen Stars. I need clarification on what makes the physical cosmology incompatible first.

The reasoning here is very brief, and doesn't actually elaborate on how the differences between this and the mainstream cosmology are necessarily irreconcilable. But overall, going strictly off the reasoning I've directly seen, I think it's reasonable to split the Divine Creator, Oblivion, and the original characters like the Fallen Stars. I need clarification on what makes physical cosmology incompatible first.
I would say the entire CRT is a contrast to Cosmology considering the idea of everything being a dream with a dream from God being the conscience that brought it all together.

J.M. DeMatteis takes his inspiration and route from a Hindu Cosmology which isn't related to Judaism much less the mystical side of Judaism: Kabbalah as the Four Worlds have no correlation in Matteis. Al Ewing structures Cosmology as narrative layers as opposed to dream layers and the level of consciousness. His God design is literally based on Adi Shankara's view of Nirguna Brahman and the Advaita Vedanta school of teaching where Creation is an illusion and that there's a non-dual being as the true reality from which Creation emanates through Maya.

• The main Cosmology is based on the mystical teaching of Kabbalah. J.M. DeMatteis is purely Hinduism as he said the only character from Kabbalah is “Adam K’ad-Mon” which we see that the Primordial Man in Ewing Cosmology is Adam Brasher has much contrast to the former. One’s the archetype for Creation to come while the other is the progenitor of the lineage of men and the guardian of the Nexus in the Flordian swamps.
  • Creation in Ewing Cosmology is a narrative based on Keter(Assiyah) being the final part of the lowest hierarchy. The Divine Creator is meant to be the Paraatma/Parabrahman equivalent which the One Above All isn't the Ein Sof equivalent. Even then Ein Sof and Brahman are not the same beings and from different teachings with different perspectives on the Universe. Kabbalah rejects the teaching that humans are God living in his own creations since that's blasphemous to them.
  • J.M. DeMatteis bases his story always the same and introduces characters that are incongruent or completely ignored by anyone else. Hence why he never even refers to “One Above All” as a name especially since that said “person” is not actually ineffable, immutable, or unsurpassable.
  • The Fallen Star fits nowhere since they can't even work in conjunction with the One Above All or else they scale above the entire hierarchy except for the House if we were to introduce them in the main Cosmology.
  • The basis of Creation in J.M. DeMatteis is not the reincarnation of Creation embodied by Firmaments. Rather it would always come and will end at the end in MahaPralaya and those who do strip the veils hiding the True Creator’s face would ascend into a Golden Age, which is not universally shared by the main Cosmology. The only similarity in that part is the Mystery is a journey to unveil God’s face but Ein Sof is not the same as the Oversoul concept that all Souls are God living in his dream and return into his Oneness and back throughout countless reincarnations until all Souls ascend. This is a completely different view from Kabbalah.
  • Cleito and Adam K’ad-Mon’s relation isn't at all evident in the main Cosmology, much less Job Burke being completely ignored as the next person to have the power to become the Divine Dreamer. The Nexus also is a focal point and treated as the OM point which has somehow not made it in the main Cosmology. Other than some old Uncanny X-Men comics with Jean entering the White Hot Room and learning that the M’Kraan Crystal is a Nexus of All Reality and later said to contain the dwelling place of the Phoenix, which was then changed as the White Hot Room is a transcendental plane and the healing medicine of the Universe.
  • The One Above All has an alter ego of the One Below All contradicts the nature of God as a being that's Love itself.
  • The origin story starts with God forming an aspect called the Creator in his dream creating duality, and letting his souls have limits from their original existence where they're one with God. This has nothing to do with the main Cosmology.
  • Oblivion is directly the mind of God specially his unconsciousness that relies on the Creator as the being that contains existence and non-existence. He is uncreated, eternal, and not subjected to the laws of the Universe unlike Hickman's depiction of end-of-time Nihilism that is opposed by the Tribunal judgment.
  • Maya fits nowhere unless we consider it Eternity's female counterpart but such concepts aren't introduced in most of the main story.
  • Illusion or the main Reality is just a level of consciousness as such Gross, Sutble, and Mental Planne which is not all presented as the main source of leveling in Creational hierarchy in the main Cosmology.
  • Also, God is independent of everything hence why he would receive 0 which can't happen if he's one and the same with the One Above All.
  • The concept of the Quantum Sea or the Ocean of Dreams is the collective unconscious capable of making dreams of the entire hierarchy below doesn't fit well with the main Cosmology.
  • J.M. DeMatteis takes his works from the teaching of the spiritual avatar, Meher Baba. Ewing doesn't at all base or elude such figures given he either doesn't know him or he doesn't use his teaching.
  • The idea that God is unconscious and not interactive but only through Maya, illusions, and his avatars of ages doesn't really link with the One Above All.
  • God being used as a Magician was a nice analogy that depicts that he made Reality as his trick and all forms of illusion while the One Above All demiurgic fires near the primordial time have no effect on being like the Mother of Horrors.
  • Every Soul being God is a major part of the story. That everyone in their core essence is God just living in the dream and being ignorant of it. Which isn't how Kabbalah works.
I can make more points but you get the idea.

Last edited:
Also, I wanted to add something. In the section that covers the gross/material plane, I said that there is an R>F hierarchy throughout the Macrocosmos. This is relevant because the Macrocomos is talking about Creation as a whole down to the Quantum Sea that connects everything and from where the worlds emerges. The R>F hierarchy isn't limited to the material plane hence why there are so many Heaven and beyond Heaven is the Quantum Sea where all Souls turn into pure energy facing only in the direction of God’s love. At this stage, they have the power to dream of the entirety of a 1-A+ hierarchy including the metaphysical realms. The Quantum Sea or the Ocean of Dreams is still in the mental plane on the third level of consciousness hence why High 1-A in my opinion is fully justified.

That's the gist of it “Everything is a dream within a dream.” Everything Surfer imagined or saw is being dreamed by someone else in the Quantum Sea which is the Marvel equivalent of the Collective Unconcious/Ocean of Dreams where God’s love washed the Souls back into his Oneness when they're ready to dissolve in hir unity.

Last edited:
Back