• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Issues with Patchy the Pirate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading through this thread, it seems that Patchy the Pirate has no combat feats whatsoever nor a combat mindset at all. All his matches are being done with pure guesswork for his combat tactics

Remember Barney ? Exactly

Also, his Plot Manip has no basis and no feats of being used offensively. I dont even know if its plothax at this point, it should be revised or removed

He should be likely banned from versus just like Barney was, since he is not combat oriented and has never fought in canon apparently

Literally all we have is assumptions.

Banning patchy and you might as well ban a good half of the wikis pages due to a lot of the people who don't really combat. Using logical assumptions based on personality and abilities is something that is fair use. And patchy would be more than willing to fight realistically. Just cause he hasn't, doesnt me he wouldn't. Phoenix weight doesn't fight. We still use him and have logical assumptions what he would try. For a while, his anime would likely use wind hacks. Why. Cause that's a huge thing he uses. Also light and Explosion hacks to a lesser degree.

I can accept Patchy fighting with a sword or cannons (if he even uses them), but timestop and plothax is a no no

No feats and no showing of being used offensively...at all.

Is it even plothax? Doesnt seem like it. If anything, it would be not combat applicable

That's because he doesn't really fight. But there's no logical reason he wouldn't use them in a fight, you assuming he wouldn't. When there's no reason. It clearly is an ability he can use. He can use it on others. He just hasn't been put in the position where he had too. Saying he can't use them is entirely baseless and weak argument.

If the abilities of a character has never been used in a particular manner, then it shouldn't be assumed that those characters can use them in such manners, especially if they have never been in an actual combat scenario (which means such abilities should be combat inapplicable in a Versus context). That's all I think that is needed to be said here for now.

The logical assumptions you come to about Patchy's personality aren't the same as mine. You assume that Patchy, a character who has never been in a fight abd has a childish personality, will do the most logical thing in a fight (that being, hax his opponent to death).

Sherlock Holmes has been in a fight. Robbie Rotten has hern in a fight. J. Jonsh Jameson has been in a fight. Even Phoenix Wright has at the very least kept his cool when his very life was at stake. None of that applies to Patchy.

Im siding with wright on this one, the biggest issue isn't even that patchy's hax seem...Poorly explained or not combat applicable its the assumption a childish character will instantly go for his hax in every situation despite nothing suggest this in his personality or mannerisms.

Phoenix still never shows to fight. But we can make logical assumptions. It's necessary for people like patchy who haven't fought on screen. We take what they use and resort to the most, and if it's usable in combat (which it is), it's their most logical way to react. Else you would think patchy just stands there and does nothing. If we don't make logical assumptions. That's all we can say. Which is poor. If we wanna use a character who doesn't show to fight on screen light patchy, we must consider then as a character and what think think and do most.

No I think he's try and use his cannon or swords, have a pirate fight! He's silly, he's not overly intelligent or logical, he rarely uses his hax at optimum times and has never shown the necessary intelligence of forethought to use them straight away in a fight. Him instantly going for time freeze/plot hax is disingenuous to his character and mannerisms.

Further can I get a scan for his plot hax? while butter provided a scan it was far from combat applicable.

You think. But you have no real supporting evidence to say he would. Why? Cause he hasn't fought on screen. But we do know patchy has pulled our time hacks, even in dangerous situations on top of that. If patchy had fought and never used the abilities. Then yes. We can say he doesn't think about them in combat. But all we know is we haven't seen him fight. But he uses time hacks a lot. Even in a dangerous situation

Assumptions of personality in combat scenarios does not, in any way, actually allow characters to perform specific feats with abilities that those characters has never done before in their canons (combat strategies are already stretching it very far. Extents of abilities without feats/scans... Just no). Feats/scans exists for a reason, and they are here to be used to estimate the extent of a character's abilities and their currently estimated limits of it. Without feats/scans, all we get is NLF and extrapolation that has never actually been shown to be done by those characters in their canon.

DeathNoodles said:
Assumptions of personality in combat scenarios does not, in any way, actually allow characters to perform specific feats with abilities that those characters has never done before in their canons. Feats/scans exists for a reason, and they are here to be used to estimate the extent of a character's abilities and their currently estimated limits of it. Without feats/scans, all we get is NLF and extrapolation that has never actually been shown to be done by those characters in their canon.
Assumption is all we have. Less you think he stands there and does nothing. You have no supporting evidence to say what he would do. There's at least a lot of instances of time hacks being used with patchy. We would assume based on what they do and think about most. Personality effects combat a lot

When and where? See why would he go straight for time hax though? especially if he doesn't know his opponent or the threats they pose? You seem to insist regardless of his opponent or his lack of knowledge he will go straight for the most logical move, this doesn't match his silly attitude or behaviors. I buy he'd pull on time hax if he felt threatened/endangered but the idea its his first move is disingenuous.

Buttersamuri said:
Assumption is all we have. Less you think he stands there and does nothing. You have no supporting evidence to say what he would do. There's at least a lot of instances of time hacks being used with patchy. We would assume based on what they do and think about most. Personality effects combat a lot
There's also no supporting evidence for what he can do outside of what he has shown. This is literally the point of this site for Versus forums. A character should only be assumed to do what they have show to do.

Combat strategies are already stretching it, but performing specific feats with abilities that a character has never did in their canons should not be valid in a Versus/Combat scenario.

Bobsican said:
Assumption is the only thing? Then yeah, he has to be banned from matches Barney style.

Like, the most he does in a confrontational context is run away, which obviously doesn't count in SBA.
Eh no. Else ban every character who hasn't shown to fight on screen. Patchys attitude doesn't support him not willing to fight. He would be willing to fight. He just hasn't fought on screen

Gonna have to contiue this tomorrow. It's way too late for me right now.

Well, that s actually the case (Unless he has statements, but Patchy really doesn't have any about his character in a fight, so...), you may bring up examples and I can surely explain why they are different or if they should be revised too.

Ive yet to see him use combat applicable plot hax to begin with. Using his hax when in danger or upset doesn't equal instantly using his abilities in the most efficient manner straight away...

• someone posts a meme to make a joke on me*
Y'all give it kudos

• i give one as a response that literally labels why he would use it*
You should stop making memes

Not like I said. Ya know. He used it in a situation dangerous to him. And a fights dangerous

Again, the site really dislikes assumptions, even if possible, they lead into too much headcanon to be reasonable, leading into a lot of double standards to his character in Vs. threads at best.

Yeah no, Patchy is getting match banned no matter how you look at it, Spongebob characters were never meant to actually fight at this point, their character for it is garbage.

We ban Patchy's ability to use Time Hax and Plot Hax in combat because he was never shown to use them in a combat setting, there is a lot of Tier 1's that can be banned for the same reason.

ElixirBlue said:
We ban Patchy's ability to use Time Hax and Plot Hax in combat because he was never shown to use them in a combat setting, there is a lot of Tier 1's that can be banned for the same reason.
The issue here is that Patchy cant even fight since he is not combat oriented

What? And tier 1's can because of exceptions?

ElixirBlue said:
What? And tier 1's can because of exceptions?
Give me an example of a tier 1 that has no combat mindset or feats for its abilities

Barney was the one that started the standard, if anything, others like Patchy can totally be subject to the same fate.

They aren't though. Barney was specifically banned himself. But others aren't currently. That's a massive thread you'd need to make to have that happen

Oblivion Of The Endless said:
Give me an example of a tier 1 that has no combat mindset or feats for its abilities
First off, Patchy does have feats which is why he has those abilities.

Has Lady Death ever been shown to have a combat mindset?

ElixirBlue said:
First off, Patchy does have feats which is why he has those abilities.
But are those feats actually applicable in combat scenarios? Because Patchy literally has no feats/scans of the extent of his certain abilities such as Plot Manipulation otherwise, from what I can see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back