• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Patchy the Pirate match ban removal

I'll try to keep this quick.

In December 2019, it was proposed Patchy the Pirate from SpongeBob SquarePants should be banned from being used in VS matches since he has never fought once and has never used his hax offensively, and it received universal agreement. But does that thread really hold any weight these days? Ehhhhhhhh...nah. Let's take a look at two of the main arguments on that thread.

"Patchy didn't use his hax when he was threatening to harm a group of people."

It's...it's a children's cartoon with a loose continuity, not an anime where everybody is constantly beating the shit out of each other and forming up elaborate battle strategies. Cartoon writers don't think very deeply about these things. They're not gonna suddenly think 'hmmmm yes let's make Patchy reverse time out of absolute nowhere so he can deliberately injure these characters on-screen'. Also, the episode in question (Party Pooper Pants) was produced early on - during the show's third season - and was the third time Patchy ever appeared in the series, which makes this judgment feel more unfair.

"It's out-of-character for Patchy to use his hax or fight."

From what I'm seeing, Patchy constantly uses his hax to benefit himself...which is kinda the point of using them, is it not? Now don't be mistaken, I'm not saying he's a hax mastermind who will spam his hax as soon as the fight begins, but here are some of these instances:
In the Big Time Rush crossover (yes this actually happened), he was shown to possess experience as an actual pirate and was skilled enough to solve many riddles to find some buried treasure, so it's safe to say he's no stranger to action. And this isn't even accounting for the fact that his large pirate ship, his sword, and arsenal of cannons is able to make up for any lack of formal combat experience. Patchy was also capable of presumably getting into a scrape with Potty that was serious enough for him to put Potty's head on his body.

That should be all, but tl;dr - Patchy the Pirate's match ban should be removed since he has shown the capabilities of using his hax to benefit himself, being more than capable of wanting to harm others if necessary, owns a bunch of weapons and a big ship, and has experience as an adventuring pirate

Last edited:
checkpoint_box_by_mexicanbannananinja_d6ozdkd-fullview.png

I'll take a look at this when I'm not busy.

I agree with removing the matchban. Just because he doesn’t fight doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be allowed to be used, as we have many characters on this site who also don’t fight yet they are still used in VS threads anyways, which is stupid if we let them but one be allowed despite not being fighters.

I agree with removing the matchban. Just because he doesn’t fight doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be allowed to be used, as we have many characters on this site who also don’t fight yet they are still used in VS threads anyways, which is stupid if we let them but one be allowed despite not being fighters.
Curious Jorge and The Cat With The Hax are not one's who "Fight", yet the Cat won against Thanos here.
(Speaking of which, one day I should get back on the Dr. Seuss Verse again. Neko could upgrade Cat to an 8-C XD).

But either way, Patchy has scrapped with his Parrot amongst others, that's enough for me to agree with it XD.

TBH no matter if one's hax are used in-character or not, thats not a great reason for them to not be in matchups. Hell, we have tons of characters on the wiki who often don't use their most effective hax in-character, but they're still things they have

I really can't say I know the inner depths for all of Patchy's hax, but removing the ban on him seems fine

Back