• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Infinite Speed Guidelines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonmasterxyz

VS Battles
FC/OC VS Battles
Retired
The other thread is getting cluttered. https://vsbattles.com/vsbattles/1706400

Like I said I would, I went through the old Infinite Speed thread for our standards. Here is my post that hopefully can be addressed.

Seeing as I only got so much time on Sunday mornings, I woke up early in order to get this done quickly.

So, to start this was the main proposal made by Assalt in that thread.

"A character should only receive infinite speed if it is mentioned or backed up by other feats or statements. For characters who were spawned in a timeless void but then show no sign of retaining such speeds, in either scaling or narrative, they should not have this speed rating."

Now, going through the thread we see Ever, Kep and Matt along with many other agree that this is too strict and would limit Infinite Speed to no one. This was also Kep opinion on the matter which many people were in agreement with.

"Or maybe we just consider Void feats valid, while noting that if it contradicts the rest of the verse's speed feats (tl;dr: it is an outlier) and is a PIS, it shouldn't be used. There."

^This seems to be a major point of contention here. I will stay out of that issue as it's too early in the morning for me to deal with that.

So skipping ahead past the walls of text full of back and forth arguments, this is a comment made by Assalt.

"Any infinite speed character that isn't consistent in showing said infinite speed."

To which I replied;

"Define consistent showing. Almost no series shows "consistent infinite speed"."

This was something many people earlier in the thread agreed upon as this was brought up by Ever and approved of by Matt, Kep and other users.

Assalt's comments here is mainly what people seem to accept as the standards.

"I'd like some citation of it being truly timeless and functioning as timeless. Sorry if this sounds demanding, but this is a significant rating that is literally an infinite amount above all other speed ratings, so I'd like there to be ample proof. Consistent showing: The infinite speed has multiple statements/feats and/or functions like infinite speed should, and doesn't contradict more substantial or more consistent showings."

As much as I am sick of them being brought up, Digimon I guess is by far the best example, because as Cal said, they likely have the most non-Tier 2 Infinite Speed characters. I should also note that in this thread, said Dark Area Digimon were going to be downgraded. However, after I posted these scans, everything was fine and as such this would likely prove to be sufficient for Infinite (and Immeasurable) Speed.

SAuquOQ

Born from the Dark Area, which exists in a spatial distortio, it is a wicked Ghost Digimon.

OKOxwfI

Time stops, complete darkness and Dark Energy surrounds all of you now! It looks like everyone was somehow transported to the Dark Area.
"

The intersection of its lightning-speed attacks blows the opponent right out of the flow of time!
~ Re-101​
Ripped directly from our blogs on this.

LNAjfNq

This is a world that can go beyond time by moving between layers!
~ [1]
During Period X Yggdrasil created a Digital World divided into three terminals that would represent the past, present and future. According to the official Digimon Chronicle website to move between the terminals you need to move beyond the time itself.

RK Travel
The Royal Knights constantly travel through the three terminals because of the orders of Yggdrasil to exterminate the Digimon with the X-Antibody.

VhPf2WP

This illusory holy knight transcended space-time to save the world!
~ Bx-144​

OsQUlRe

Chapter Twenty: The heroes advance through space-time, putting their lives and the future on the line!
~ Bx-133​
To top it all off. https://imgur.com/a/iJSLI"

Before I continue, I will just say that seeing as this was accepted and is the main topic brought up, we should use these scans as an example to what we want.

Anyway, towards the end of the thread, this was what everyone agreed upon.

"Originating from the void can be used to support the rating. However, this does not automatically makes the character infinite in speed. In addition, lacking such an origin is not a justification to disqualify a character from the rating. Official statements can also be applied as long the description is clear or clarified."

And as a bonus, Ultima's post that people agreed with (the part that seems to be important here).

"I honestly think that downgrading the speeds of these kind of characters because "muh fiction does not depicts them a certain way" is overly strict and is mostly a product of people overthinking things, and this would eventually restrict Infinite and Immeasurable speeds to characters such as cosmic entities that display extremely specific showings of velocity that aren't found in many fictional verses aside from some stories that focus of Hard Sci-Fi or Cosmic Horror. And thinking that an entity unbound by time would suddently become restrained by it when entering a continuum is ridiculous, when they can inhabit a realm where it is nonexistent, while beings from a continuum would most likely stand still and remain completely paralyzed due to lack of causality (Well... Unless the power of PIS interferes, but i think i already exposed my point here)"

Either way, after seeing all this, I hope it is clear to what we want. I posted the exact details of the verse that is used as a major comparison (Digimon) and what was used to justify Infinite Speed Dark Area Digimon. Hopefully now things can go smoothly and swiftly.

Also to clear up confusion on the second scan, the quote below it is actually the third scan. The second scan is from Re Digitize when in the Dark Area, the timer that usually shows up, is no longer functioning and has disappeared, showing that there is no longer any time.

Here is what it looks like outside the Dark Area.

Digi-Re Clock

I feel bad for Ever. He stalled the upgrade thread so long, getting the opnions of others just so this exact thing WOULDN'T happen lol....

The title of the thread is misleading. This is a discussion about Infinite Speed as a whole. We need to formalize that, and actually start a discussion on the matter so our standards can be ironed out and improved upon.

No, our standards are fine as they are. Even Dragon's OP already showcases the last discussion well enough, and shows how our standards are.

I respectfully disagree. Our standards are terrible. They have no definition whatsoever, and are so loose and vague that they allow for any series to be ranked at infinite speed if there are two statements about a void.

Digimon getting Infinite speed is fine, because it actually has many consistent feats and statements backing it up. But a series which just says a dimension exists outside the flow of time twice? That definitely shouldn't.

What we need is consistent showings and demonstrations to go alongside the quotes, not just the void statements themselves.

There are three different statements.

As Ever said, nobody has proven they are inconsistent.

Ok ok. I've seen and heard enough so since I'm on my 15 min break I'll go ahead and summarize what's the problem is here.

So what's the deal? Some say it's a fear of being "too strict". I find this one to be a bit...dare I say, childish? Do you lot even realize that the wiki has gotten vastly more lenient than it it's ever been before? Why are people crying "YOU'RE JUST BEING STRICT!"? Please, stop that, you're not helping by trying to water down standards even more. The same thing is happening on FC/OC, it strikes me as kids whining about house rules even after they've been watered down already. Stop.

Likewise

"Feats" this and "feats" that need to stop. Feats are important, perhaps the most important aspect of judging one's stats, but they aren't everything. If a realm is said and shown to be timeless then it should very well qualify and the feat itself would be the fact that they were born in said realm, operate freely in said realm, etc.

That is...going by the current standards. Anyway, incapable of writing anymore, break is over. Ciao~

I proved time and again that the standards are inconsistent. Moving in a timeleds void does not prove you can move everywhere instantly. Moving across various different distances in zero time however, is.

Unless you're referring to the DBH statements. Those aren't inconsistent at all.

Time = 0

Therefore, in order for movement to be = 1, speed needs to be = infinity. Because time is what makes distance and velocity hold any meaning. Without it, this world stands literally still, if not outright nonexistent.

Yes but timelessness =/= zero time. There is a difference between a world where time does not exist and a world where time stands still.

In a world where time doesn't exist, nothing happens, and the value of time would always be 0. The difference is almost irrelevant, and frankly, why are we still discussing the standards for infinite speed ina Dragonball thread even if we agree that the upgrade is fine. It's just going in circles, and at the end, we close the thread just to open another one and to start from the beginning.

> Yes but timelessness =/= zero time

The way fiction treats it? No.

If time truly didn't exist, the universe as a whole wouldn't be here. We would all be nonexistent. However, even in verses where some places are truly timeless, we don't see this happening. Their behavior is akin to a place where time is irrelevant and still as opposed to outright. nonexistent

I agree. Apply the changes or risk even more redundant back and forth discussions repeating itself in a neverending cycle until the end of time. (Not even an exaggeration at this point lol)

You are applying standards to fiction it doesn't have, the same thing you accused me of doing. Ever heard of time being an illusion? Ever heard of transcending time? Time is not an absolute. In fiction, all timeless realms are not the same. To claim that in a world where time = 0 nothing happens is just false. Time is also a sense in some cases, it's not all clear cut science like you claim it is. Not in fiction that is.

I'm not applying standards to fiction it doesn't have. I'm literally doing the exact opposite and I don't know how you managed to come to that conclusion by reading my post.

In real life, time not existing outright = we wouldn't exist.

In fiction, there is no such general standard.

I was responding to both you and DMB. Not just you alone, sorry.

This is all the same discussion that has gone on for 3 threads at this point with no end.

Side 1:

• Infinite Speed Guidelines are fine. The only reason this is an issue is because suddenly Dragon Ball wants an upgrade. Dragon Ball Heroes should get this upgrade.
  • The otherside is downplaying and acting like they are 100% right.
Side 2:

• The standards are wrong and need to be changed.
  • The other side just wants Dragon Ball to blitz Saint Seiya and are wanking to achieve their goal. The fact that people believe this is ridiculous. The other side is biased and are extremely aggressive and whiny.
Both sides:

• The other side is wrong. Infinite speed works like this.
This is the basic gist of what has lasted for 3 threads. It is sad that we cannot come to a consensus over this. Nothing has changed.

What's the common denominator?

People accepting that infinite speed DBH is fine with these current guidelines...

No one said they want DB to blits SS. Speed equalized would prevent that anyway. However people have been attacking Matt claiming he doesn't want DB faster than SS which is equally as ridiculous as what you claimed. Only four people are against this. Do tell me, who on side 2 claimed people from side 1 just want DB to blitz SS? Who!!??

Calm down, Sera.

Most of that was Rapid, who is likely going to be blocked if he keeps on with it.

I don't even recall Rapid ever saying that either. He was saying that we had a problem with it because it was Dragonball. He never brought up Saint Seiya meaning somebody is obviously attacking Matt because they're doing it on Discord claiming he only wants to downplay DB so it isn't as fast as SS. It's wrong and it's going to start something.

How about people focus on coming to a conclusion instead of arguing back and forth? You know what ends up happening? The subject gets dropped which proves to be unfair to one side leaving bad blood behind. One would have hoped around 10 hours away from this would have calmed everyone's nerves, but it hasn't and we are back to square one.

@Dragonmasterxyz

Thank you for making an effort to try to straighten this out.

@All

If we are going to discuss our standards in general, I think that we should move this thread to the staff board. It will turn too messy and hard to straighten out otherwise.

I disagree with moving this to the staff board because it also includes DBH. But if we were to reopen the second thread, I think it'd be fine.

As Matt said this is about the standards of infinite speed which no one wants to talk about. The DBH revision won by majority vote. Just add it if that's the issue. But the problem of standards is still a thing. That's unrelated to DB.

Hello everyone. I am back with a calm head... So... With that said:

... What is the current main interpretation for Infinite Speed ? Do we make acceptions to what is stated at all on the Speed Page. I know it says it on the Speed Page, but what is stated is different from how it is interpreted in the grand scheme of things.

I suggest implementing the upgrades and moving this thread into the staff boards, discussing infinite speed.

It's moving in zero time and I still say that timeless =/= zero time all the time. In this case, especially since we're talking multiverse busters, it seems to be outside the linear flow of time which is not infinite, its the bare minimum of immeasurable.

@Matthew & Sera

This thread is probably too connected to Dragon Ball. Would either of you be willing to start a thread in the staff forum about our standards in general?

The standards are fine. The problem is this is not infinite speed.

The Demon Realm exists apart from time, history and the flow of time. That's not moving in zero time, that's moving apart or beyond time. That's not infinite. It's immeasurable. Like moving backwards and forwards in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back