• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

"In the name of the moon, I will fix your profile!" ⌈Sailor Moon Profile Issues⌋

I try to only get involved with verses I know nothing about if the content presented is so egregiously wrong that even a casual observer could notice the issues. And, well, today that verse just so happens to be Sailor Moon. When I say that, I don’t mean downgrading the verse or anything - Rather, just look at the state of the profiles. Ostensibly good, but comically bloated and low quality upon closer inspection. Let’s break it down, using Usagi’s profile as a basis.

This Isn’t Powerlisting Wiki

Sailor Moon profiles do this thing where they list every possible subset of an ability as its own, unique ability. Usagi drawing power from the moon can’t just be empowerment - it’s also Lunar Empowerment, Lunarkinetic Combat, Lunar Energy Absorption, and so on, for like 50 different abilities that all ultimately mean the same thing. Notably, a lot of these powers are listed on the powerlisting wiki, so it’s not like they were just made up on the spot - that said, we obviously can’t use another wiki’s standards on our pages. I lost count of how many different times weapon mastery was listed, because it’s listed separately for every single weapon instead of just being one ability that lists each weapon in a single chunk of text. Imagine if Batman’s profile listed Martial Arts 500 separate times - one for each style he’s mastered - instead of just once; That’s what Sailor Moon profiles do.

To give a very small sampling of how bad this issue is, here’s every made-up power on Usagi’s profile -
ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY FIVE bullshit abilities on ONE profile. This is, to be blunt, unacceptable.

Another issue is how some abilities are listed multiple times when they really don’t need to be. For example, her self-sustenance lists “Vacuum Adaptation” as a sub-power (which is unnecessary in and of itself), but literally five lines down it’s listed again as a completely separate power. Why? This is just bloat, there’s not really another word for that.

A Lot of Those Powers are Wrong

A related issue is how single abilities are extrapolated into two or even three abilities simultaneously. Take for example Princess Serenity’s sound manipulation on Sailor Moon’s page. This is the scan, for reference. It’s listed as Sound Wave Generation, which is a weird way to say “sound manipulation”, but the real issue is that each work leads to a separate power - Sound manipulation, energy manipulation, and elemental manipulation. The latter two simply… aren’t true. Neither the scan nor the justification explain why this is anything more than sound manipulation. Resistance to “Poison Gas Generation” (ie; Fucking Poison) is somehow extrapolated into poison manipulation, elemental manipulation, and… matter manipulation??

Everything Needs Scans and References

A prevalent issue throughout the Sailor Moon pages is how many abilities lack any sort of justification at all. No scans and references is one thing, but having dozens of abilities that just aren’t explained in any capacity is far worse. For example -
5C2R9MZ2s_ydZyRR959IjWVfLDFUkyuS8MQYAtYxjaEMe1I6f00GFOQi9KjYEMnYIxUb8wVdvYbTzI_lIVbBIHdxbOm8alzJIW5zs_JaW940IwWPaoYlzQFwt4dxg9j778rFyqZ7o3pPmVha1JYhJlw

This is unacceptable. In conjunction with the made-up abilities, it’s very difficult to tell what I’m supposed to be gleaning from the profile here. What does Usagi gain from “Pure Form”? What does “Pure Stellar Manipulation” do? None of these things are intuitive, and they aren’t explained on the page itself, so they might as well mean nothing.

Please Learn How References Work

Many references on this profile are formatted in a specific way - for example, “PSSM (Vol. 1)/Shinsouban, Act 3 Rei - Sailor Mars/Pg. 117”. This is really good, and a level of detail a lot of profiles wish they had. However, this is not applied consistently - looking at the feats section, many references are actually just… text written above the sentence, like so:
_hY7L4DH-hBcIXk8XYO_L0FQAYJlZFmj9LuUp7_medtHdCFnn9uNOLqSCOKZ6_1mTIGpelKD0kJftnduEBXnlM8UmVovKaVmZattgB1CQ2F5wbQ1MbgFv-05Y6dtLbR5AQXLJRo7ud2ZcdMZjLBzijY

Writing a reference isn’t particularly hard, and evidently someone editing the page knew how to write them properly, so this is just baffling.

Please Learn How Keys Work

Yet another issue is the inconsistency in how keys for each version of a character are treated. Take Sailor Moon for example - She has 10 keys in total. Now, I can’t speak as to whether or not each key is really necessary, but the rest of the profile should abide by that number… but it doesn’t. Her lifting strength only has 3 keys, with no explanation as to which of those three correlates to what key listed at the top of the page. Same goes for intelligence, range, and stamina - it’s completely ambiguous as to which key has which stats.

Another issue is with the P&A. Usagi’s keys start at Prism Form (Partially Awoken). However, her P&A section starts at Usagi Tsukino (Original Power), before moving on to Usagi Tsukino (Complete Power), which means there’s at least one, possibly two whole keys completely unaccounted for everywhere else on the profile.

The Feats Section is Really Bad

Many of the “feats” listed are either not feats, or they could be better indexed elsewhere. The Silver Crystal’s feats, for example, should instead go in the equipment section, since it’s mostly a compilation of its basic functions. Every subsequent tab is just weird to me - we don’t need a sentence opening with “FTL speed is VERY common in the verse” when the page should just let the speed section speak for itself. The “Complete Form” tab is one line of text, and it doesn’t even explain why it’s a feat - it’s totally unnecessary. The Princess Serenity tab isn’t much better, since it’s two sentences and one of them is just forbidden romance. The line “She doesn't have many feats because she is in the series so briefly but she does have some.” is, again, not needed.

And then we come to the Personality section. This is just fluff - even I, in my obsession with the personalities and character arcs of various Touhou characters, know where to draw a line with explaining characterization on a VS debating site. You can put this stuff in the summary if you wish, as that’s where character breakdowns are supposed to go, but there is absolutely no reason why “forgives beautiful people”, “is mischievous”, and “has a husbando” (no, that’s not a typo) should be considered feats. Really, this entire section ought to be deleted. You can keep the bisexuality though, that’s based.

The Insanity Has Overtaken Me

Fuck it. Here’s a lightning round of everything else I take issue with.
  • While my gripes with how the P&A section is organized are largely subjective, I have to ask what the hell “Supportive” means in this context and why it’s distinct from Active and Passive abilities.
  • The notes section is… very odd. The first note mentions contradictions and upscaling, while giving no source for either of those things. The second note just… kind of asserts that something isn't a hyperbole, when it could just let the evidence speak for itself, while also making the non-sequitur of “the Silver Crystal is a plot device and villains try to get it”, which is completely unnecessary.
  • There is no reason why this page needs SIX links to the Sailor Moon wiki.
  • The explanations section is entirely unnecessary. We don’t need to know that Usagi gets a new transformation every arc, or that her techniques have healing/light attributes, or the name of one of her techniques, because it’s either irrelevant or already listed elsewhere.
  • I don’t even know what’s going on here -
    PYHdWa7ZPznslBlx8Of2mXwl0M2Zu8FpZyzRDCCvOvpn04OxG-U3RM6vHD6CyeUQiAV79ZxZq3nTKbZfCRGMrAoar4maNqm5WGDK4cI6oU0TYRV4p6XdfTzPoXLBRAx-jd2aWodQsAmQDcPbajU5iuk
  • how the hell does this even happen -
    qLH3nZdsAcYiS79TlHPYGILed_tzlLoU8iFSmYzPTju1sktlR9YbJBUBPtDn_PCtFrjU-1tEkei-PMhrjT2crGBHrWTsqMwIsVbFGycfogDuysOdhYyZsPFQRXXbZQw5IBIChkURqlcR2kwohfpGxaE

How Did This Happen?

I found it odd how any reasonable wiki - although I may be overly generous in calling VSBW “reasonable” - could allow so many faulty additions to pass through unchecked. If someone made a CRT trying to add 50 shitzillion variants of transformation and energy manipulation, surely it’d get caught, right? Well uh, a CRT wasn’t made. This edit and this edit are where most of the faulty changes come from, including the wholly unnecessary Personality section in the feats tab. No CRT was attached, and I could not find one on the forums, so apparently someone just fucking doubled the size of Usagi’s page in a single day and it went unchecked for almost a year. Cool.

How Do We Fix This?

The cynical part of me says we don’t. We just archive the profiles and then nuke them. So much is wrong, and I likely missed so much, that any cleanup effort is well beyond what any one person is capable of in a reasonable timeframe - mind you, almost every issue I listed stems from one profile. It might even be better to remake the profiles from scratch at this point.

However, I would like to believe that the verse supporters (all three of ‘em) can also see the issues here, and are willing to fix these issues, or at the very least explain why things are the way that they are. In any case, the pages are obviously bad and need to be fixed somehow.

Last edited:
Delete old pages and if someone new wants to redo em let them. It is painful seeing a popular verse have poorly managed pages but thats the nature of old verses I guess.
The thing is, this isn't even a case of the verse being old. The edits that made the pages this bad were from mid-2023. Someone somewhere down the line knew what they were doing, so I'm really curious as to what went wrong.

However, I would like to believe that the verse supporters (all three of ‘em) can also see the issues here, and are willing to fix these issues, or at the very least explain why things are the way that they are. In any case, the pages are obviously bad and need to be fixed somehow.
There's only one verse supporter who's really active, and I don't think they'll be able to undertake such a task.

Anyways, nice work! I'm in support of a mass profile deletion.
jujutsu-kaisen-if-it-was-good-did-i-cook-v0-3msxw8ons24c1.png

Yeah these profiles definitely look like a mess, but I don't know if I'd quite go for full verse deletion. Sailor Moon is a pretty huge franchise and all, and I can't imagine drafting everything up from scratch being easy, and there's definitely some stuff here that could be used to start fresh and begin anew. I think some people dedicated to fixing and revising the verse could probably help out a lot here.

I agree with pein and kirbonic; the profile doesn't deserve to be deleted. Afterall, most of the problems are with the P&A section. They can be revised although it will take time. I would like to help but I deleted all of my Sailor Moon scans

I believe @Iamunanimousinthat should be pinged. He is the only one that cares about Sailor Moon in 2024.

In regards to revising the profiles, what should the course of action be if the supporters are unwilling or unable to fix them?

Yeah these profiles definitely look like a mess, but I don't know if I'd quite go for full verse deletion. Sailor Moon is a pretty huge franchise and all, and I can't imagine drafting everything up from scratch being easy, and there's definitely some stuff here that could be used to start fresh and begin anew. I think some people dedicated to fixing and revising the verse could probably help out a lot here.
Saying its a huge franchise yet it gets little maintenance kinda shows how no one cares as much. Deletion should happen till people fix it at least. Or maybe a tag stating it to be outdated and shouldn’t be used in matches nor does it show accuracy

I found it odd how any reasonable wiki - although I may be overly generous in calling VSBW “reasonable” - could allow so many faulty additions to pass through unchecked. If someone made a CRT trying to add 50 shitzillion variants of transformation and energy manipulation, surely it’d get caught, right? Well uh, a CRT wasn’t made. This edit and this edit are where most of the faulty changes come from, including the wholly unnecessary Personality section in the feats tab. No CRT was attached, and I could not find one on the forums, so apparently someone just fucking doubled the size of Usagi’s page in a single day and it went unchecked for almost a year. Cool.
Lmao

It's a little awkward to up and remove such a prominent series from the site in contrast to deleting some of the more obscure ones for low quality, but at the same time stuff like this just not being noticed for a year doesn't paint a very flattering picture. I'm wondering if there's a clean way to add some sort of designation that the pages aren't up to standard but if nobody's interested in fixing them then I guess you kinda do have to get rid of them if just rewinding them to the last approved edit wouldn't produce an acceptable page.

I think VSBW not having Sailor Moon pages at all would be kind of batshit insane, but at the same time having ones in such poor quality is equally wild.

Its not really something that non supporters can help with, as we wouldn't know exactly everything to reset things back to, and what should remain exactly without the help of supporters. Non supporters would basically have to dig through every Sailor Moon related CRT we can possibly find and then revert things to whatever was accepted in those threads in a probably overly time consuming process.

But if all the supporters have generally left the site / aren't active or cant handle it, it leaves the profiles in a very weird spot.

I disagree with deleting the profiles on the basis we simply don’t do it for popular verses (I’ve tried to have non canon profiles of even lower quality deleted and got bluntly rejected, SM should not be an exception).

I agree with not nuking it off the page, but yeah, this shit really needs to be cleaned up. Maybe standards should be set (standards SHOULD be set because this is ridiculous)

Imo we should delete the pages and allow anyone interested to recreate them in the future from scratch. The current pages can archived in a blog/sandbox if necessary.

How can we expect a cleanup if evidently no one cares about this verse, given it was left like this for a year? Who would be doing the cleanup?

1. If the profiles get deleted I won’t be helping to re-add them. That’s over ten profiles with multiple forms. Redoing them from scratch will be something I wouldn’t wish on anyone.

2. We can consolidate abilities to one. That’s fair. And we can add more context. For example:

Resistance to “Poison Gas Generation” (ie; Fucking Poison) is somehow extrapolated into poison manipulation, elemental manipulation, and… matter manipulation??
This is could refer to Venus recreating the atomosphere of venus. Which entails all of this.

3. I like the list format, it makes the profiles clearer, and easier to work with when, there are many abilities in the series, especially when moon gains all the abilities end of series.

I can fix it to make it more robust, remove redundancies, and off site abiltiies (leftover from yesteryear as the profiles are among the oldest on the site) and add clear scans and explanations.

any inputs on here would be appreciated.
I'm not for deleting the profiles, but they do need to be fixed. I can help if needed.

For them not being noticed I would just give that as not a bunch of staff are into the verse and they look big, so the assumption would be that they've already been revised and accepted (even though they weren't).

1. If the profiles get deleted I won’t be helping to re-add them. That’s over ten profiles with multiple forms. Redoing them from scratch will be something I wouldn’t wish on anyone.

2. We can consolidate abilities to one. That’s fair. And we can add more context. For example:

This is could refer to Venus recreating the atomosphere of venus. Which entails all of this.

3. I like the list format, it makes the profiles clearer, and easier to work with when, there are many abilities in the series, especially when moon gains all the abilities end of series.

I can fix it to make it more robust, remove redundancies, and off site abiltiies (leftover from yesteryear as the profiles are among the oldest on the site) and add clear scans and explanations.
To address the last point briefly, the offsite abilities were added in 2023. The profiles before then were a bit crusty, sure, but nowhere near as bad as they are now.

Also I don't oppose the list format, I just think splitting it up into "active/passive/supportive" is unneeded (I dislike Sonic's profile doing this, as well), and a lot of things could be listed under a single power as opposed to like. 5.

Okay. I took a good look at the profiles. It can easily (not quickly) be fixed by going through them and making the changes where they need to be. The profile itself links to many scans and I have access to scans as well so it is simply a matter of rewriting descriptions, linking appropriate scans, consolidating duplicate entries..

I will do it but it will take sometime. Mods should lock the pages and can open it upon my request when I am ready to apply the fixes. I will most likely go section by section. I certainly won't be doing everything in one big go. I invite anyone to help get this done, and if there are individuals who will like to help, I can make a general thread where we can discuss the changes as we go along.

Okay. I took a good look at the profiles. It can easily (not quickly) be fixed by going through them and making the changes where they need to be. The profile itself links to many scans and I have access to scans as well so it is simply a matter of rewriting descriptions, linking appropriate scans, consolidating duplicate entries..

I will do it but it will take sometime. Mods should lock the pages and can open it upon my request when I am ready to apply the fixes. I will most likely go section by section. I certainly won't be doing everything in one big go. I invite anyone to help get this done, and if there are individuals who will like to help, I can make a general thread where we can discuss the changes as we go along.
A general thread for the revisions could work, yeah. I could do some work here and there, since even though I'm not all that knowledgeable on Sailor Moon, I do at least know how to format a profile.

Wait when were u banned?
The 15th through 29th, but I'm back (unfortunately).
I'd definitely say Hakai the pages. At this point it'd honestly seem better to start from square one with the verse and pages.

Really doesn't help that this verse is far from active with only like one user supporting it currently.
At this point I want to wait and see what @Iamunanimousinthat's plans are. If they don't respond for a while, then they can probably be nuked.

for almost a year
Yeah, about a year ago when I did not have an account here this page was trash, I had to explain to someone having six listings of X for varied reasons was not akin to a layered Hax and did not make the page comprehensive cause of how messy it is.
No scans and references
I do not know if just referring to power pages is acceptable, I assume it isn't... but no scans or references?
I can think of a few others that are partial or just have normal text and a link to an ability page which I find lazy and useless for people who visit the sites as guests, because then THEY will have to go verify if the site is accurate which is just... ick.

I think we should delete the profiles tbf however, we should ask supporters of those verses to fix profiles or lock down permissions to edit pages? It's insufferable the pages have become this disorganized, and I feel you this lazy page making and over the top nothing burger page making is the worst it makes everyone else's lives harder.

Though the temptation to rebuild and restructure the issues post page nuke is there...

anyone interested to recreate them in the future from scratch.
Yes... also, preferably with help from people who know how to make good profiles maybe make a list of willing victims... err participants who'd be happy to help people on making a profile that if such a thing does not already exist.

I will do it but it will take sometime.
a willing sacrifice :^)

Uhhh do we have a place where we can ask people to fix series with the scans and the links (lack thereof or bloated) or should that be a separate thread? sort of like seeing it and saying 'hey this character page is missing stuff' or 'this character page has too much shit in it' that isn't just making a CRT for every single one?

Back