• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

EXTREMELY URGENT: Gfycat is shutting down completely on September 1st. Please help out with replacing all of our wiki gif links to this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're trying to put them on imgur just right click the video on gfy, hit "copy link address" or whatever it says in english, then just past in imgur and it should work
Not exactly what I meant.

There used to be a video to gif option where if you were to click on it, you can create your own gif, but now it doesn't show up anymore.

There used to be a video to gif option where if you were to click on it, you can create your own gif, but now it doesn't show up anymore.
Isn't there some other safe and reliable site that can convert video clips to gif-files, and after that you can upload it to our wiki or Imgur?

Well, maybe we could simply add a mention of that or some other even more reliable site to our official wiki instructions for uploading and linking to images.

(Would like to thank Butler for replacing the links in my sandbox, I did a couple myself but had to stop)
Yeah, there was a lot. I also came across like 1 or 2 other sandboxes that had a lot of links, with one having 100+ files, though the hassle was more on downloading and uploading the files because it still takes time... and uploading the files that I have already uploaded, making the downloading kind of pointless sometimes.

Yes, IdiosyncraticLawyer and catzlaflame have also been awesome with helping out. 🙂🙏💖
Agreed.

Also, Idiosyncratic's DPL should have no pages remaining. So, aside from deletion, are there any other Gfycat-related tasks that require attention?

Thank you again. 🙏

I have reminded our wiki manager again about helping us out with setting up a new wiki content filter. Hopefully he or another Fandom staff member will handle it soon. Or do any of our administrators know exactly how to handle the content filter code?

I don't think that's particularly important anymore.

Gifs were used instead of video files due to being smaller, but that's no longer a constraint for a lot of people. To the point where a lot of these "gif hosters" actually just use videos with the audio tracks removed;
I have reminded our wiki manager again about helping us out with setting up a new wiki content filter. Hopefully he or another Fandom staff member will handle it soon. Or do any of our administrators know exactly how to handle the content filter code?
I remember taking a glance at that years ago, and it seemed pretty intuitive, but I no longer remember anything about it. Not even the page it's stored on.

I could probably figure it out if the relevant page was linked to me, but if you want someone who already knows, you'd have to look elsewhere.

Thank you again. 🙏

Use this page; the syntax is the same as Wikipedia's version.

Our wiki manager gave me some advice in this regard, but I encountered an error when trying to apply the change in question to one of our wiki content filters, so I am waiting for some further input from him.

Well, we have been trying to modify content filter number 4, but get error messages, but your suggestions might work as well in this case, yes.

However, wouldn't your suggestion make it impossible to even mention the word "Gfycat", not just to link to the site itself?

Yes, in our content filter #4, which I have been trying to rename and modify, but I received error messages. Our wiki manager will ask other staff for help.

Yes, in our content filter #4, which I have been trying to rename and modify, but I received error messages. Our wiki manager will ask other staff for help.
Mind sending me the link privately? I could ask my connections to solve the issue as well.

However, wouldn't your suggestion make it impossible to even mention the word "Gfycat", not just to link to the site itself?
No; how it works is it only filters out usages of "gfycat.com" that aren't immediately preceded or followed by letters or numbers.

So just "gfycat" itself wouldn't be hit as no .com is included. "gregfycat.com" wouldn't be hit as it's prepended by letters. And "https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=gfycat.commercial.usage" wouldn't be hit as it's followed by letters.

I don't believe that distinct domains can have separators that aren't letters or numbers, so this should cover all gfycat domains and subdomains (i.e. "media.gfycat.com") without hitting any other websites.

Well, I will remind our wiki manager to try to handle it with our url links filter rather than with our main slur words filter first, but if that doesn't work out, I will try with your method instead.

I have been given instructions about how to properly update our abuse filter for disallowed external links, so I have done so. I hope that it will work properly. 🙏

No problem at all. I was hoping that Butler will eventually find the time to handle it.

I have done so. 🙏

Btw:

The following new page contains Gfycat links that need to be replaced:

And we might need to edit some public blog post comments as well:

I have edited that specific blog when you sent that message, but my pc broke so I had to use a different pc.

As for the DPL, my editing capabilities were limited to user blog comments and talk pages. Additionally, I needed to replace Idiosyncratic's archived links for the gfycat files because the abuse filter prevents me from editing the pages without removing them. And even if they weren't detected, they would still appear in the DPL, necessitating the use of nowiki tags, so I had to remove those, sorry.

I do not have the power to edit those messages on message walls so someone else will have to handle that. And also, I have purged the DPL several times already and those user blog comments won't disappear in the list for some reason.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back