• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Iihiko Shishime - Note 1 & Weakness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agnaa

VS Battles
Administrator
Calculation Group
Translation Helper
Gold Supporter
Iihiko Shishime's profile currently has a note saying that the claim of him being a higher-dimensional entity is being written off as an expression. I believe that claim largely comes from this page, where two characters mention him having "strength of another dimension". I found the original Japanese text of those panels to investigate how those lines were actually written.

Medaka first says it as:
次元が違うんだよ
言彦の強さは
Then Tsurubami says it as:
次元の違う強さ
The parts corresponding to Iihiko's name (言彦), "strength" (強さ), and "another" (違う) are all pretty inarguable, but the word used for "dimension" (次元) can also mean "perspective", "point of reference", or "level (of something)". Looking at it from that lens, it probably just means "his strength is on another level", and that phrase has been translated that way before.

As for what this implies for the profile, we don't accept that idea anyway, but perhaps the note could be reworded to bring this to wider attention?

And on another note, since styles worked on Iihiko since words can reach him, shouldn't something about that get added to Iihiko's weaknesses? Something like "Styles managed to bypass Iihiko's Subjective Immunity since words can reach him, so, all powers based on wordplay, idioms, and the manipulation of words should also work on him."

Iihiko Shishime's profile currently has a note saying that the claim of him being a higher-dimensional entity is being written off as an expression. I believe that claim largely comes from this page, where two characters mention him having "strength of another dimension". I found the original Japanese text of those panels to investigate how those lines were actually written.

Medaka first says it as:

Then Tsurubami says it as:

The parts corresponding to Iihiko's name (言彦), "strength" (強さ), and "another" (違う) are all pretty inarguable, but the word used for "dimension" (次元) can also mean "perspective", "point of reference", or "level (of something)". Looking at it from that lens, it probably just means "his strength is on another level", and that phrase has been translated that way before.

As for what this implies for the profile, we don't accept that idea anyway, but perhaps the note could be reworded to bring this to wider attention?
Agreed
And on another note, since styles worked on Iihiko since words can reach him, shouldn't something about that get added to Iihiko's weaknesses? Something like "Styles managed to bypass Iihiko's Subjective Immunity since words can reach him, so, all powers based on wordplay, idioms, and the manipulation of words should also work on him."
Neutral on this

As him being able to hear those words and understand languages does not mean ability based on someone speaking will work on him

Neutral on this

As him being able to hear those words and understand languages does not mean ability based on someone speaking will work on him

I'm not taking some ability that worked on him and saying some arbitrary characteristic of it (like, it giving users a tattoo on their tongues) is why it works; I'm just taking the text's explanation and saying that it should apply to other verses.

One of his other weaknesses (you can get around it by having a fresh attack) seems similar. And I think it's fitting for that to go under that section, but I wouldn't be opposed to explaining that in the ability's description instead.

I think an explanation works better either in the ability section of his Immunity or by adding a note and explaining there so it would make easier for other users to understand it.

I think a weakness is more like having just a limb and having stated that the loss of it make X weaker...because just having a less limb doesn't make people usually weaker in fighting series if not stated. Hopefully you get what I mean.

To me this seems uncontroversial to apply.

I think I'd reword note 1 to something like...
Statements of Iihiko being considered higher-dimensional are ruled out for many reasons. Most importantly, it appears to be a mistranslation of a line simply saying that "his strength is on another level". But beyond that, such an interpretation would be an Outlier, and the metafictional nature of the work provides other more plausible explanations for his strength.
The last sentence could be cut out since it's a bit unnecessary, but I'm fine with keeping it in for continuity with the current quote.

Okay. I will do so. Thank you for helping out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back