• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

High 8-C Brackets Round 14

Dargoo_Faust

Blue Doggo Enthusiast
VS Battles
Retired
3PLsgp
Fourteenth round of the High 8-C Brackets Begins! The winner of the last round was Chelsea. I think I did alright on zhe exams, too.

Current Standings (A "-1" indicates the fighter was disqualified or was stomped)

Hub

The contenders for this round are Genji (Overwatch), submitted by SSBXeno and Grunt Gobli, submitted by VersusJunkie.

Speed is equalized, battle takes place in Hanamura, 20m apart.

Genji scales to 4.7 Tons, Gobbo scales to 7.17 Tons.

VS Battles Wiki 18,491 PAGES NAVIGATION GUIDELINES FEATURED MANAGEMENT EXPLORE DISCUSS High 8-C Brackets Round 14 Forum > Versus Threads board > High 8-C Brackets Round 14

Genji (Overwatch) - 11 (Weekly, Litentric, Ricsi, Versus, Crimson, Flowery, Gyro, Iapitus, Schmuck, Drite, Medeus)

Grunt Gobli - 2 (Bambu, Jacky)

Incon -

Bc grunt goblin1120-753cb047aea14f19a84d03027d87910f
Linger-ftc-02-11

Hmm...this seems like it could be interesting. I'm sure Genji is more experienced of course

but Grunts are also pretty crazy in that Goblin so...

So I would say the Grunt Goblin would surprise Genji through unconventional fighting methods alone- but Overwatch already has tons of that, and Hammond might even be a good comparison. Not sure on this one.

Obviously the Goblin has the slight AP advantage, and a handful of abilities to let him overcome Genji (Danmaku and, more specifically, EMP to literally **** him over, since a lot of him is technology).

Normal firearms Genji hard-counters and teleportation could help.

In the end I hand it to the goblin- since the EMP is literally the worst possible outcome for Genji.

Oooo good reasoning. I'd vote for the goblin because of that.

Also would this be added to the grunt goblin's page or the Unggoy? Because the grunt goblin is a weapon

It'll probably be added to the Grunt Goblin page as it's a vehicle/mech as opposed to something like a sword.

Grunt - 2 (Bambu, Jacky)

Genjii -

Genji can actually block danmaku pretty easily (As evidenced by being able to block both Reaper's and Pharah's ults)

Genji can also fight through the effects of Sombra's EMP, and the Grunt's EMP is actually fairly easy to dodge and telegraphed

Isn't Genji taking Sombra's EMP more or less game mechanics? Unless he was shown to take it in cutscene.

Also Grunt even has a key for the jockey, so I just sorta assumed it'd be added to them. How would we handle something like that?

Sombra disables someone from running with the same EMP, so IDK if taking everything that it does at face value is accurate.

That said I'd imagine it would be a bit silly if Omnics and Cyborgs on Genji's level could be taken out with EMPs that easily.

@Jacky I'll ask Versus for some advice on that.

Also Genji can boost his damage significantly with Dragonblade, to the point of oneshotting people who can survive 4.7 Tons

Just gonna say Halo tech is fairly more advanced than Overwatch tech.

Genji only one-shots characters with relatively low health like Tracer/Moira with his ult if I remember right.

He makes small AoE EMPs for a short time when walking and he has to hit you with multiple projectiles to EMP you with ranged attacks

He i mostly cybernetic so it would do quite a lot, but Genji has more than enough range and mobility to just pepper the Goblin from a distance with shurikens and avoid projectiles, and can deflect the projectiles that cause the EMP

I assume that's a vote for the ninja from Weekly/Crimson/Versus?

Grunt Goblin actually scales from this, which is 7.17 Tons, I can update that in the OP.

Better, It should be a tad bit above the 7.17 mark as the vehicle that did that feat was quite old/outdate in comparassion to the Goblin.

It seems like the Gobbo has a sizeable AP advantage; meaning dragonblade will probably be necessary to really finish it off.

I'm pretty sure Genji still has the advantage anyway. Unggoys are like really clumsy and quite dimwitted as Weekly and Versus mentioned, so Genji should get around the projectiles quite easily. There's also the range advantage Weekly mentioned; and that energy glass for a windshield is also a weak point; Genji could just climb aboard, break through the windshield, and kill the Unggoy inside when the Unggoy is distracted.

WeeklyBattles said:
the ap advantage isn't even 2x lol its not sizeable at all
"and can also take hits from the Wraith Mortar with minimal damage. A whole squad of Spartans using heavy weapons, and vehicles required a couple minutes of concentrated fire to bring one dow,"

"When low on health, a Goblin can go berserk, increasing its overall power"

Yeah, Wraith Mortars are High 8-C+ but Selene's Lance version of Spartan lasers, Binary Rifles, Scattershots are 8-C with a "+" sign. Also, game mechanics are kind of inconsistent; there are weapons with lower calcs that tend to give more damage than higher up ones in gameplay. One of the main correlations is that chemical energy/heat based weapons don't damage vehicles as much as kinetic energy based weapons and/or weapons with penetration.

If it being only slightly damaged by a 7 Ton attack is a side effect of gameplay rather than it actually taking that attack, perhaps that statement shouldn't be on the profile to begin with.

Even then the Grunt still amps itself when it gets low on health, which with a slightly < 2x advantage would post a threat to Genji, especially if Genji already used Dragon Blade to put it in that state.

Also, keep in mind it took attacks from an entire squad of characters using heavy weapons that are using 8-C+ weapons at once. It wasn't just one UNSC weapon being fired at it.

I think Genji still takes it through his skill and mobility in general, I just don't see why the Grunt isn't going to give him hell.

Being honest I think it takes over 10 shots of the Incineration Cannon (8-A) to take it down, of course, gameplay first, same with the Wraith, but since we dont have any canon evidence I think we can safely say he can survive a single shot with little to no damage instead of scaling from gameplay mechanics.

So... can I vote Gobbo for good ap advantage? :^]

Back