• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

MrKingOfNegativity

Abstract embodiment of being undesirable
VS Battles
Retired
Harry Dresden & The Deathly Hallows
This had to happen someday.

Can this older, wiser, more experienced Harry stand up to the might of He Who Must Not Have A Nose?

Rules

• Speed is not equalized. (There isn't a point)
  • Match is decided by death.
  • Dresden is restricted to base stats, but has all of his standard equipment.
Vote Count

• Harry Dresde: 4 (Monarch Laciel, LazyHunter, ApiesDeathByLazors, Spinosaurus75DinosaurFan)
  • Voldemort: 2 (Meosos, TheOwnMagic)
  • Inconclusive: 0

I am almost certain this has been done before, because I debated on it.

Anyway, Dresden takes this via having canonical knowledge of Voldemort and what he can do (as he is a Harry Potter fan), soulfire laced constructs or just simple dodging to avoid AK (he has a lot of experience dodging bullets), and the ability to flash freeze and shatter Voldemort with a thought.

Plus there's the Nevernever BFR if necessary. Let the fairy courts take care of Snakeface.

I see plenty of viable reasoning, so I'll count the vote. But in regards to the bit about Dresden reading Potter's books, isn't meta-knowledge of other characters restricted in battles on this wiki? I mean, that's more or less the entire reason why this profile hasn't stomped every single written character below a certain tier, isn't it?

I may be wrong about that and the rule may just apply to him/her, but I remember the condition nonetheless.

Canonical knowledge is not restricted. If the character has blatantly been shown to have knowledge of another fictional character, that's part of their intelligence and isn't restricted

Combined Human is an odd case and that part of it is normally ignored.

Ah, alright then. I suppose that clears a few things up.

Christ, now that my mind is in that direction, Dresden's knowledge of the Potterverse coming in handy is a funny thing to think about.

Harry might be confused for a second or two about seeing what he thinks is just a fictional character in front of him, but as soon as Voldemort throws his first spell and Harry realizes he's somehow dealing with the real deal, it's over. Avada Kedavra can be rather easily dodged by Dresden or blocked with an ice wall, and then Harry shoots him in the head or turns him into a popsicle and shatters him.

Since Voldemort cannot resurrect on his own and requires a lot of time, resources and prep, the freebie the OP is trying to give him is actually worthless and Harry wins.

I believe he has dealt with some mind stuff before by using charms and similar protective magic. Given use of mind magic is taken very seriously in Dresdenverse (using it is against the Laws of Magic) he doesn't have a lot experience using it himself or fighting it. Not that it matters, Legilimency is not used in combat. Also, given that Legilimency is blocked by Potterverse's basic shield Protego, Harry's magic shields, including the passive ones on his equipment, should also block it withot much issue.

LazyHunter said:
I believe he has dealt with some mind stuff before by using charms and similar protective magic. Given use of mind magic is taken very seriously in Dresdenverse (using it is against the Laws of Magic) he doesn't have a lot experience using it himself or fighting it. Not that it matters, Legilimency is not used in combat. Also, given that Legilimency is blocked by Potterverse's basic shield Protego, Harry's magic shields, including the passive ones on his equipment, should also block it withot much issue.
Voldemort uses Legilimency to torment his victims and this skill is not like the spell Legilimence. It cant be blocked with a shield, since its a form of telepathy not a spell. Only a Occlumency user can denfend against that.

Legilimens is just the spell needed to use Legilimency. Skilled users can use it wandlessly and non-verbally just like other types of magic, but it's still the same thing. Occlumency can be used against both, and we know from Harry blocking it with Protego that it can be blocked with magical shield

I'll just point out that Legimency can be thrown off by sheer willpower, and Dresden's will power is ridiculous.

I'll also point out he can redirect the effects of curses, such as when he redirected the entropy curse (super bad luck) so that instead of killing him, it killed the enemy he was fighting.

Monarch Laciel said:
Canonical knowledge is not restricted. If the character has blatantly been shown to have knowledge of another fictional character, that's part of their intelligence and isn't restricted
LOL, then Metatro stomps everyone below a certain range... very cool.

Talking about the thread: could Dresden escape the Killing Curse, or the Cruciatus one (this one has likelly instant effect)? I vote for Voldemort via versatility, having a great variety of very useful spells. Also, I don't see this Harry matching against Voldy's flying and teleporting abilities, which could be very useful in avoiding atacks and catching Dresden off guard.

This match is extremely old...

Still, if nobody objects, I'll allow the vote.

Metatron hasn't shown explicit knowledge of every fictional verse. Only fictional works that have been shown to exist in supernatural can be used as part of his intelligence. Dresden on the other hand has shown knowledge of Harry Potter.

Flight is nothing to Dresden. Same with teleportation. And Dresden's got extremely high versatility as well

Monarch Laciel said:
Metatron hasn't shown explicit knowledge of every fictional verse. Only fictional works that have been shown to exist in supernatural can be used as part of his intelligence. Dresden on the other hand has shown knowledge of Harry Potter.

Flight is nothing to Dresden. Same with teleportation. And Dresden's got extremely high versatility as well
Actually, it is said Metatron has read every single book that humanity have ever wrote. He put this knowledge inside Cass' mind and the suddenly he understood a reference to Star Wars. Very cool, actually.

So then Metatron has knowledge of Star Wars.

But unless shown, Metatron does not have knowledge of any other fictional work

LazyHunter said:
Not that it matters, Legilimency is not used in combat. Also, given that Legilimency is blocked by Potterverse's basic shield Protego, Harry's magic shields, including the passive ones on his equipment, should also block it withot much issue.
After seeing this again, I actually do want to point out that this is wrong. Voldemort can use (and has used) Legilimency mid-fight. Really, that fact is the entire reason Dumbledore was so insistent on having Snape teach Harry Occlumency in the first place; he knew Voldemort would use Legilimency, and didn't want the Chosen One to be unprepared for a mental assault.

Doesn't make much difference, given Dresden's history of fighting off mental attacks. But it's still something that should be said.

Dresden takes this. As stated above, his knowledge of the Harry Potter books would give him a huge advantage, and he wouldn't be caught off gaurd as he's fought fictional characters made real before. He's fought of fairy glamour and resisted mind mages way stronger the voldy. Yeah, Dresden has this.

TheOwnMagic said:
Talking about the thread: could Dresden escape the Killing Curse, or the Cruciatus one (this one has likelly instant effect)?
Yes. Both can be easily blocked with soulfire constructs. Or Harry can just dodge. He's really good at that.

Also, couldn't Dresden wisecrack his way to victory with Voldamort? I guess that would just go under him having prior knowledge of the books. Reading through old Voldies profile, it seems like he'd be easy to out smart, at least for Dresden.

Probably could get away with pissing him off thanks to that absurd temper Voldy has, I'll admit.

I vote Harry. As said above, he would probably be confused by a dead fictional character standing in front of him, but after Harry easily dodges Voldemort's first attack, it's over. He can use ice and has canonical knowledge of Voldy.

Dresdens fought fiction made real before. I really don't think he'd caught off guard at all. On top of that, he's fought things more dangerous then old Voldy many times before.

Back