• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, Vegeta had difficulties breathing in his fight with Magetta due to the thin atmosphere within Vados’ barrier

image0.png

image0.png
The manga never had that scene, so it's more likely they have it in the manga also remember it's because there is so much steam and heat in there it's also speeding up Vegeta being tiered

There is still oxygen, even if a little. I don't think "limited self sustenance" for breathing in places of low oxygen should be a thing. You are either self sustained, or you're not. There's no in between. In case of Saiyans, they are not. Also, these fights at such altitudes only lasted a few minutes, so not much of a noteworthy feat. Simply mentioning in their profiles that they can survive in places with low oxygen should be enough.

As far as adaptation, I recall Goku training on Kami's lookout that had similar issues. RoSaT also has similar issues. So it makes more sense to say that he is used to such situations.

Anyway I don't think limited self sustenance should be a thing we should probably just consider it an inconsistency and ignore it

Saiyans having Type 1 Self-Sustenance spits in the face of canon so let’s just note in their Stamina sections that they can fight in low-oxygen environments and call it a day

One question though, are we sure this is a trait related to Saiyan physiology? Like, we do know that Goku specifically trained in those conditions at Kami's Lookout and then in RoSaT, as did the other Saiyans or half-Saiyans on Earth.

One question though, are we sure this is a trait related to Saiyan physiology? Like, we do know that Goku specifically trained in those conditions at Kami's Lookout and then in RoSaT, as did the other Saiyans or half-Saiyans on Earth.
....But but but.....Self Sustenance is a biological trait/ability.........

Bardock didn't train in the RoSaT. Though you could argue he was still in the stratosphere of planet Vegeta during his fight with Frieza or whatever.

Last edited:
Kid Goku went to the moon and came back really fast, so he either held his breath or was fine breathing at high altitudes for the most part. And the oxygen levels at the edge of space are nearly nothing compared to the conditions Goku endured before his fight in SSG plus bardock had no training and was able to perform the same feat, honestly saiyans being unable to breathe in space is stupid, they should've always had that ability, not only does it make sense narratively, it also makes the story and fights far better and the inability to breathe in space is a shitty weakness for universe busters.

That's not a shit weakness for universal characters, as universal character's aren't automatically granted abilities that allow them to breathe in space.

Viltrumites for example are able to hold their breathe in space for hundreds of years.

That's not a shit weakness for universal characters, as universal character's aren't automatically granted abilities that allow them to breathe in space.

Viltrumites for example are able to hold their breathe in space for hundreds of years.
No I mean like, being able to bust universes but if you do, you die in the void, and can't even fight in space, so the destructive ability is more of a hinderance, I'm not saying that universe busters should automatically have self sustenance.

Kid Goku went to the moon
This is considered as PIS. Well, more like it was a gag feat. When you have Vegeta dying in space in a matter of minutes and several statements that Saiyans can't survive in space, this one gag feat doesn't hold much water.

I remember him holding his breath much longer in water when he fought Frieza in namek or something but I may be wrong.

Goku was only in the water on Namek briefly; he came up with a plan to distract Frieza and immediately carried it out before emerging from the river. On the other hand, Goku and Beerus had been battling for a bit longer, and then Beerus held him down underwater.

They were also submerged much deeper than Goku was on Namek, as they were on the ocean floor, and Goku was in a river on Namek.
Didn't he have a hole the size of my fist in his chest when that happened?
No, this is after Goku reverted to a Super Saiyan and they briefly traveled down to Earth.

Several characters have Limited Self-Sustenance for surviving for extended periods of time with no/low oxygen. If the baseline for the ability is indefinite, then "Limited" should apply for cases where the time is finite but above the normal boundaries for a human. Goku fights Beerus at damn near the edge of space for a decent chunk of time, while a human can barely climb Mount Everest without using supplemental oxygen. It should apply here.
Multiple characters having it shouldn't be an argument, as it might be wrong.

Personally, I've always treated such things as stamina feats, like holding your breath underwater for a superhuman amount of time, because I thought we couldn't limit self-sustenance, it was more of a "you either have it entirely or not".

I've just read other comments saying the same thing, I obv agree with them.

Iffy on the concept of Limited Self-Sus. Has the term been used anywhere else? If so, how was it used? That concept as a whole is a completely new thing to me, and currently sounds a bit weird.

Idk about the ability but some of these arguments are wild. Fighting at “minutes” or “seconds” is like a whole eternity to characters with MFTL speed.

Also if they were to get it, this would apply to every saiyan. Did everyone forget the episode where baby Pan (who’s 1/4 saiyan) flew garlic jr’s crew around in the upper atmosphere?

This really just depends on whether or not staff agrees that there's such a thing as Limited Self Sustenance. I'm fine with both arguments either way as long as it's noted on the profiles so I'll be neutral for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back