• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

God of War: Ragnarok Discussion Thread

Would you guys prefer a pure graphical remaster of the Greek saga or a remake that adjusts and refines the story and continuity?
A remake of the Greek Saga would be interesting, but I think a remaster would suffice.

Maybe said remaster could also be one that also retroactively follows Kratos eventual start to being a better person? IDK, this one I just thought up last second but if anything, a remaster would be sick. At least having GOW 1 and 2 + Chains of Olympus + Ghost of Sparta having the same graphics as 3 and Ascension.

Honestly, a remake would be good if only to make the plot less disjoint. Its pretty clear that a lot of plot threads weren't accounted for in the trilogy (The Evils weren't really conceptualised as plot relevant until III) so a saga that takes that into account from the start would be interesting. Same with the Marked Warrior prophecy, The Furies etc

Other than that, yeah. A remaster would be more than enough.

disjoint-ness of story usually happen because how they manage complexity of "story implementation" to the game and consequences of huge collaborative effort , i believe they don't create story as a full paragraph seamlessly.

SMS create stories as a separate part per design/module and later combined all of them into one game story (just like modular and procedural design project ).

Expect disjoint-ness of story to happen in next GoW game.

Last edited:
disjoint-ness of story usually happen because how they manage complexity of "story implementation" to the game and consequences of huge collaborative effort , i believe they don't create story as a full paragraph seamlessly.

SMS create stories as a separate part per design/module and later combined all of them into one game story (just like modular and procedural design project ).

Expect disjoint-ness of story to happen in next GoW game.
....What? The overall Norse saga is absolutely a coherent single plot compared to Greece, which starts with what was clearly thought to be a single installment game at first.

I'm not talking about them creating an adjustable general outline to be filled in and changed where needed, I'm pointing out how The Evils were not a concept in GoW 1 lol and neither was the prophecy in II and III.

Minor consultation =/= they somehow decide the entire narrative structure. Yeah, their work is pretty shoddy but in all honesty, the reaction to them is rather overblown.

I guess we'll see what happens if that remaster pans out.

bros..the future of GOW ain't looking to bright (It has already been touched by SBI) what do you think if they will not stop?
As someone who played GOW Ragnarok just recently beat the base game and Valhalla? I genuinely don't get what the deal is with this Sweet Baby Inc shit. Especially when you realize that SBI is merely a consultation firm for sensitive topics and shit like that, meaning that the quality of the games they're associated with is dependent on the studio itself (A key example is Alan Wake 2, which they had a hand in with some stuff but is genuinely one of the best psychological horror and meta games I've ever had the pleasure of playing/)

Like let's just consider something here: Would games like Ragnarok, Alan Wake 2, Spider-Man 2, or even Suicide Squad Kill The Justice League have been any different in terms of quality if SBI had no involvement? I can say that Ragnarok and AW2 would've remained amazing titles while SSKTJL would still be dog shit. So if we can start thinking that way, maybe we can stop blaming a wholly unrelated company on the narrative and writing quality of the games people give SBI scorn for.

At the same time tho, SBI has some pretty questionable individuals in them. Also, why would you hand over your life's work to some consultation company instead of your own in-house writers?

As someone who played GOW Ragnarok just recently beat the base game and Valhalla? I genuinely don't get what the deal is with this Sweet Baby Inc shit. Especially when you realize that SBI is merely a consultation firm for sensitive topics and shit like that, meaning that the quality of the games they're associated with is dependent on the studio itself (A key example is Alan Wake 2, which they had a hand in with some stuff but is genuinely one of the best psychological horror and meta games I've ever had the pleasure of playing/)

Like let's just consider something here: Would games like Ragnarok, Alan Wake 2, Spider-Man 2, or even Suicide Squad Kill The Justice League have been any different in terms of quality if SBI had no involvement? I can say that Ragnarok and AW2 would've remained amazing titles while SSKTJL would still be dog shit. So if we can start thinking that way, maybe we can stop blaming a wholly unrelated company on the narrative and writing quality of the games people give SBI scorn for.
They literally force diversity in games via threating them. (It is likely why angroboa is black skinned.) nd while yeah, this is still a gaming issue.

The others do have a point, not every game they touch turns into a slop-fest. GoW and AW2 are excellent games in general (Though it does make you wonder why those two escaped much of the controversy thus far).

But yes, forced diversity is almost always never a good thing, especially when it's done simply to earn more profits at the expense of the developers.

Again, they don't "hand over" their games. I don't like them a whole lot but they're ultimately just around for the companies to check if their works are palatable to a wider audience. Because first and foremost, this is a business.

And I'm sorry but if the most egregious effect they have is Angrbodr's skin color (which I honestly don't mind) then the idea they'll "ruin gaming forever" is quite laughable.

People who hire them aren't the blue-haired caricatures that people have in their minds in regards to forced diversity, they're largely businessmen who are out of touch. The idea that Cory, Eric and Bruno don't have ultimate control over their narrative is silly.

Again, they don't "hand over" their games. I don't like them a whole lot but they're ultimately just around for the companies to check if their works are palatable to a wider audience. Because first and foremost, this is a business.

And I'm sorry but if the most egregious effect they have is Angrbodr's skin color (which I honestly don't mind) then the idea they'll "ruin gaming forever" is quite laughable.
Tell that on the long term & suicide squad then.

Suicide Squad is shit for a myriad reasons beyond Sweet Baby consultation (though that did play some part).

They're a largely mediocre narrative consultant. They probably do have some hand in the issues with some games but the idea that they make or break a game's narrative is goofy.

I think one aspect of the video game industry to constantly keep a close eye on is to not make it too business-like as that has proven to be more often than not, detrimental to the quality of a game. Already we've seen prior in leaks that expensive AAA games are not at all a sustainable business and they rely solely on the billions of fans they won over in the past, if anything, completely alienating their fanbase would further make their profits plummet.

You all saw how EA wanted to make Battlefield 5 its business. And how fan backlash effectively drove it and the rest of the franchise into the ground.

Agreed, instead of focusing on that people should be focusing more on what the individuals at SBI are actually doing and what takes they have (Which are for the most part, horrendous).

Suicide Squad is shit for a myriad reasons beyond Sweet Baby consultation (though that did play some part).

They're a largely mediocre narrative consultant. They probably do have some hand in the issues with some games but the idea that they make or break a game's narrative is goofy.
WB would shoulder most of the blame here, their recent releases so far have been ass post-Hogwarts Legacy, SSKTJL being online-only was merely the first step towards utter disaster (always-online only DRM in a normal story-based campaign should be outright illegal at this point). Their comic writing has also been plummetting and their CEO David Zaslav has in general been making some of the stupidest decisions imaginable for the company.

I think one aspect of the video game industry to constantly keep a close eye on is to not make it too business-like as that has proven to be more often than not, detrimental to the quality of a game. Already we've seen prior in leaks that expensive AAA games are not at all a sustainable business and they rely solely on the billions of fans they won over in the past, if anything, completely alienating their fanbase would further make their profits plummet.

You all saw how EA wanted to make Battlefield 5 its business. And how fan backlash effectively drove it and the rest of the franchise into the ground.

Agreed, instead of focusing on that people should be focusing more on what the individuals at SBI are actually doing and what takes they have (Which are for the most part, horrendous).
Oh, I'm not saying the tunnel-vision business mindedness is a good thing. It's harmed the industry a lot. I'm just clarifying that those are the sort of people with power over these games and their production. Not "forced diversity pundits".

Because let's be real, we're very lucky that Santa Monica Studios is as high quality and focused a studio as is. I have my issues with God of War: Ragnarok but I can admit that independent to its franchise, its a very solid and well made game. We could be far worse.

They literally force diversity in games via threating them. (It is likely why angroboa is black skinned.) nd while yeah, this is still a gaming issue.

In all fairness to the Angroboda situation: In real life Norse Mythology, Angroboda has only four canonical mentions based off the major sources of Norse Mythology that we have so it's not like she was such a major character in mythology that her being dark skinned would cause Nordic folk to be offended (not to mention that Angrboda is, in my opinion, a well written character to begin with so I don't see her being dark skinned as being a make or break moment for the game's overall quality.)

And again, I will ask again: If Sweet Baby Inc had no involvement in Ragnarok, would the game be that vastly different in quality and what's in the story itself? I'm not even trying to defend SBI as the projects they had much more involvement are ass gravy like Kill The Justice League, but it's very nonsensical that people are treating like some all powerful bogyman ruining the gaming industry when they're just a consulting firm from Canada with only a few notable titles to their resume.

Oh, I'm not saying the tunnel-vision business mindedness is a good thing. It's harmed the industry a lot. I'm just clarifying that those are the sort of people with power over these games and their production. Not "forced diversity pundits".

Because let's be real, we're very lucky that Santa Monica Studios is as high quality and focused a studio as is. I have my issues with God of War: Ragnarok but I can admit that independent to its franchise, its a very solid and well made game. We could be far worse.
Definitely, which is why it is upto us to keep them in their place through the right methods, like we did with Battlefield and EA.
one of em even disrespected toriyama..
Yeah, that one was a straight-up dick move.

In all fairness to the Angroboda situation: In real life Norse Mythology, Angroboda has only four canonical mentions based off the major sources of Norse Mythology that we have so it's not like she was such a major character in mythology that her being dark skinned would cause Nordic folk to be offended (not to mention that Angrboda is, in my opinion, a well written character to begin with so I don't see her being dark skinned as being a make or break moment for the game's overall quality.)

And again, I will ask again: If Sweet Baby Inc had no involvement in Ragnarok, would the game be that vastly different in quality and what's in the story itself? I'm not even trying to defend SBI as the projects they had much more involvement are ass gravy like Kill The Justice League, but it's very nonsensical that people are treating like some all powerful bogyman ruining the gaming industry when they're just a consulting firm from Canada with only a few notable titles to their resume.
You nailed it exactly. The relevant games would prolly have some changes, if Sweet Baby was never brought on. Would they change the game in a major manner? Hell no. They're not a good consultancy but ultimately they're subordinate to actual writers and narrative developers.

Plus let's be real, getting mad over Angrbodr's ethnicity is just cringe, especially since the so-called "worries" these weirdos talked about (her skin color hijacking the plot, her usurping Atreus' etc.) never happens. Also she's a member of a magical race of Giants lol.

one of em even disrespected toriyama..
See, THIS is something that I think should be the reason why people dislike SBI if they so wish to. Because, as Planck stated, they're a company filled with tone deaf employees who spew out horrible shit on Twitter and have a resume that is mostly filled with mediocrity (I consider Alan Wake 2 and GOW Ragnarok as being the only games they worked on which are great, but let's be real with ourselves: They only did minor work on those two while SMS and Remedy handled 99% of everything else), and the games that they had a lot of involvement turned out to be trash like Kill The Justice League because it's a genuinely bad game with bad gameplay and bad writing that functions as a bullet to murder the legacy of one of the most beloved superhero game franchises in history.

They're not a good consultancy but ultimately they're subordinate to actual writers and narrative developers.
I wish I could give this part a thousand likes, because it's an ironically cruel piece of truth. For all this supposed "power" and "influence" SBI has over the industry? They're...ultimately bind to the whims of the writers and narrative developers of the games they're hired on for, only really giving them suggestions and corrections on things which the devs and writers may have little to no experience in writing. But it is funny to imagine a small ass consulting firm from Canada having this great power over some of the biggest games and studios in the industry, it's like something out of a satirical dystopian piece of fiction.

Something I learned is to not look at Twitter discourse/YouTube reactionaries as representative of general public or company sentiment.

To most executives, diversity is nothing more than a list of checkmarks to meet. So they'll include it where they feel it will bring in more money, not out of any major agenda.

That's how you end up with goofs like the Puerto Rico flag fiasco in Spider-Man 2. And more benign stuff like Angroboda and her grandmother's Afrocentric features. And Hildisvini too but everyone forgets him lol.

Writing teams in all likelihood do want to write good stories where diversity is fitting and enjoyable but they're beholden to their corporate bosses all the same. And it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. That's all it is.

Also, my and many other sane fan's issues with Ragnarok are mostly in the pacing, bloat and plot progression rather than the content of the story itself. It really would've benefited from being 2 games.

Only weirdos think "Ragnarok is ruined cause of WOKE!!!".

Also, my and many other sane fan's issues with Ragnarok are mostly in the pacing, bloat and plot progression rather than the content of the story itself. It really would've benefited from being 2 games.
Was it always the intention of Santa Monica Studios to make the Norse GOW Saga a duology or was it originally going to be a trilogy till something happened to change course? I vaguely recall Cory Balrog stating something to the effect of the former being the case, but I can't remember much if he didn't say that at all or no.

Was it always the intention of Santa Monica Studios to make the Norse GOW Saga a duology or was it originally going to be a trilogy till something happened to change course? I vaguely recall Cory Balrog stating something to the effect of the former being the case, but I can't remember much if he didn't say that at all or no.
It was supposed to be like, 5 games I think? Then 3 then 2 games. It's why there's such a noticeable pacing difference between 2018 and Ragnarok. Reason was likely corporate pressure as they talked about how they "didn't want the Norse saga to take too long".

Honestly, 2018 aged really well all things considered. A peak game.

i finished Ragnarok today( 9 hour gaming session🥵) and honestly it was pretty good(9/10), the gameplay was amazing and such a huge step up from 18 same with the story and characters. The only problem i have is that it should have been a bit longer some sections need more time like loki and asgard team up, ragnarok preparations and ragnarok itself (also more Angrboda i really liked her)

You from the United States and outside Brazil, who are with PlayStation Plus signed, are able to run games PS1, PS2, and PS3? Backwards compatibility?

I would really like to know, here in Brazil there were some videos that anyone who has signed this can play (all this from outside Brazil )

Only weirdos think "Ragnarok is ruined cause of WOKE!!!".
Well there's a certain someone being praised as "he spoked truth and we didn't listen" and tbh I think that was just a coincidence and overblowned.

Back