• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

God of War: Ragnarok Discussion Thread

Hellbeast

He/Him
Damn that Playstation showcase trailer do be good! Feel free to discuss the upcoming Santa Monica title but also the series as a whole

lsim9ah6qjm71.jpg

I think it's a little early to give my opinion on it, but I'll say it, I was hoping they'd pull the camera back a bit. One of the main things that bugged me ( and a lot of people ). I think they should stop taking inspiration from games like The last of us, and take a bit more from the previous God of War titles. But I see Kratos uses his blades to grapple things, which I like.
But I'm excited to see Atreus' Powers and finally what Thor can do, and get to explore all 9 realms this time.

I believe it was also confirmed that this game will wrap up the Nordic saga, which honestly kinda worries me.

All in all really ******* hyped tho

I think it's a little early to give my opinion on it, but I'll say it, I was hoping they'd pull the camera back a bit. One of the main things that bugged me ( and a lot of people ). I think they should stop taking inspiration from games like The last of us, and take a bit more from the previous God of War titles.
Yeah that was a minor issue for me in the last game. It looks baller in cinematics but I feel it restricts your view in gameplay. Maybe something closer to Dark Souls would work better
But I see Kratos uses his blades to grapple things, which I like.
Yeah I'm so excited to see them bring more versatile traversal into the game. Imagine using the chains as a zipline or something at one point (maybe we can add traversal options via the upgrades and runes?)
But I'm excited to see Atreus' Powers
Especially if he can transform into beasts. We see a taste of it with the ram he rides so we could see that and maybe some illusions ala Loki
and finally what Thor can do
Dude Thor will be insane.
Love how hefty he looks and I'm hoping we get some godly feats from him (imagine him creating cyclones of thunder and lightning during his boss fight)
and get to explore all 9 realms this time.
I'd be down with the ones we got last time if they're expanded but yeah. I think the city we see might be Asgard and the new Dwarf implies to me we'll be seeing Svartelheim somehow (Unity Stone)
I believe it was also confirmed that this game will wrap up the Nordic saga, which honestly kinda worries me.
Yeah I'm kinda disappointed it'll just be these games. I love the reinvention and while I think the writing team will do great it does worry me they'll have to try and wrap so much up here in one game. Especially since I really loved how 2018 was so good at letting things breathe between the massive godly stuff
All in all really ******* hyped tho
Same dude; I really wanna get a PS5 to experience this properly for next year

Yeah that was a minor issue for me in the last game. It looks baller in cinematics but I feel it restricts your view in gameplay. Maybe something closer to Dark Souls would work better
Dark souls camera would literally perfect.
Yeah I'm so excited to see them bring more versatile traversal into the game. Imagine using the chains as a zipline or something at one point (maybe we can add traversal options via the upgrades and runes?
Yes. Using the chains to Zipline would be killer. I remember in the original games Kratos used his blades to swing around like Spider-Man. That was sick I hope they bring that back. I honestly didn't really like the boat.
Especially if he can transform into beasts. We see a taste of it with the ram he rides so we could see that and maybe some illusions ala Loki
Yeah I caught that. I also think they should ditch the buddy mechanic and allow him to be a playable character to really bring out the full potential of his powers. God of war has never really had other playable characters in story, it would be a first.
Dude Thor will be insane.
Love how hefty he looks and I'm hoping we get some godly feats from him (imagine him creating cyclones of thunder and lightning during his boss fight
Yeah the fight with Baldur gave me Man of Steel vibes. Something tells the Thor fight will be DBZ like. They have Opie from sons of anarchy voicing him! ( You might not know anything about that show lol) although, he doesn't look like what I expected him to lol.
I'd be down with the ones we got last time if they're expanded but yeah. I think the city we see might be Asgard and the new Dwarf implies to me we'll be seeing Svartelheim somehow (Unity Stone
They straight up confirmed we'll being seeing all 9 this time around on a blog for playstation!
Yeah I'm kinda disappointed it'll just be these games. I love the reinvention and while I think the writing team will do great it does worry me they'll have to try and wrap so much up here in one game. Especially since I really loved how 2018 was so good at letting things breathe between the massive godly stuff
Yeah, Cory did say they didn't want to stay in Norse mythology for too long. I think there's gonna a big timeskip and I'm expecting someone to die (Atreus). But 2018's storytelling was phenomenal. I think the previous God of war games storytelling was phenomenal as well, and I don't like how people look down on them, but they're stories focusing on two different sides of Kratos.
Same dude; I really wanna get a PS5 to experience this properly for next year
Tell me about it. Spiderman 2 will be PS5 exclusive, but by then I hope they're easier to find. It was a good from a business standpoint to keep the game on the 4.

Dark souls camera would literally perfect.
Great up close look while also giving us a full field of vision
Yes. Using the chains to Zipline would be killer. I remember in the original games Kratos used his blades to swing around like Spider-Man.
So goofy but so fun. I can see them really playing that up with stuff (maybe combining it with a portal mechanic would be fun?)
That was sick I hope they bring that back. I honestly didn't really like the boat.
Boat was decent for what it was I guess. I really loved how it was a safe space where you could just listen to the characters interact. Sled looks cool
Yeah I caught that. I also think they should ditch the buddy mechanic and allow him to be a playable character to really bring out the full potential of his powers. God of war has never really had other playable characters in story, it would be a first.
I feel there'll be a section where we play as him but I do love the buddy mechanic, I'd definitely love to have some puzzles require controlling him in order to do certain stuff
Yeah the fight with Baldur gave me Man of Steel vibes. Something tells the Thor fight will be DBZ like. They have Opie from sons of anarchy voicing him! ( You might not know anything about that show lol) although,
I'm aware of Anarchy lol; great show
he doesn't look like what I expected him to lol.
Yeah I imagined more powerlifter vibes but he looks nasty and gluttonous which works. Disappointed the shrapnel from Hrimthur being in his skull isn't a thing
They straight up confirmed we'll being seeing all 9 this time around on a blog for playstation!
WHOO!
Yeah, Cory did say they didn't want to stay in Norse mythology for too long. I think there's gonna a big timeskip and I'm expecting someone to die (Atreus). But 2018's storytelling was phenomenal. I think the previous God of war games storytelling was phenomenal as well, and I don't like how people look down on them, but they're stories focusing on two different sides of Kratos.
I'm thinking that we'll see Dad and Boi get separated so we have to find him in the next game (Egypt?). I don't see them killing Atreus off since I feel that'd risk retreading old ground for Kratos which isn't a great idea.
I definitely think GOW always had dope storytelling but I've got issues with 2 and III

Ascension (is decent) and I and Ghost of Sparta were godly ways to explore Kratos' character before 2018 just lets us see him without all the toxic influences of his life
Tell me about it. Spiderman 2 will be PS5 exclusive, but by then I hope they're easier to find. It was a good from a business standpoint to keep the game on the 4.
Especially since PS5's are scarce. Like I don't think anyone's selling them in my country but Vodafone as a cross promotion thing with their plans

Great up close look while also giving us a full field of vision
Yes. You know those threat indicator actually ****** me up a few times getting in to the game. A more distant camera solves this. I think they should pull a GTA/ Red Dead and allow you to be able to control the position of the camera.
So goofy but so fun. I can see them really playing that up with stuff (maybe combining it with a portal mechanic would be fun?)
Exactly. Portal mechanics would sick (this brings me back, haven't played portal in years)
Boat was decent for what it was I guess. I really loved how it was a safe space where you could just listen to the characters interact. Sled looks cool
I loved the stories, the only thing I was looking forward to on the boat. After that, it's incredibly awkward. It's like trying not to look at the guy next to you on the elevator. Sled looks a big improvement. I was thinking they could give Kratos Valkyrie wings and let him fly.
I feel there'll be a section where we play as him but I do love the buddy mechanic, I'd definitely love to have some puzzles require controlling him in order to do certain stuff
I hope so. The Ellie sections in the last of us were amazing for example. And I found 2018 to have lackluster puzzles. So Atreus would be a breath of fresh air
I'm aware of Anarchy lol; great show
Isn't it?!
Yeah I imagined more powerlifter vibes but he looks nasty and gluttonous which works. Disappointed the shrapnel from Hrimthur being in his skull isn't a thing
Mimir said he was fat but I didn't think he was serious lol. Some of the fan art I've seen of him looks much better.
Yes. Not sure how exactly. Likely involves the unity stone like you said
I'm thinking that we'll see Dad and Boi get separated so we have to find him in the next game (Egypt?). I don't see them killing Atreus off since I feel that'd risk retreading old ground for Kratos which isn't a great idea.
I definitely think GOW always had dope storytelling but I've got issues with 2 and III

Ascension (is decent) and I and Ghost of Sparta were godly ways to explore Kratos' character before 2018 just lets us see him without all the toxic influences of his life
Yeah, maybe that'll be the case. I honestly don't think they should do Egypt next. I mean there would be a lot of bosses, but not much monsters and such to kill. I've always thought Japan would be cool. Or maybe some mesopotamian myths. I think 2 and 3 were the weakest when it comes to storytelling as well. The PSP games were the height of the storytelling in the original games. Persephone was the best villain in the franchise in my opinion

Ascension wasn't bad. Great bosses, some cool abilities, beautiful graphics, I heard the multiplayer was ok, but bland story and trash villains. But the game felt very uneeded.
Especially since PS5's are scarce. Like I don't think anyone's selling them in my country but Vodafone as a cross promotion thing with their plans
Yes. I keep hearing them break all these crazy sales records and I barely know anyone who has one. It irks me. We pretty much know for a fact that this will still be a problem when Ragnarok releases, which is why it sucks ass even more. And it's like Sony's throwing salt on the wound.

As you can see in the trailer, we’re picking up a few years after the events of God of War (2018). The freezing winds of Fimbulwinter have come to Midgard, making survival for Kratos, Atreus, and Mimir in the Norse wilds even more challenging than before.

While the last game built an enormous amount of trust and understanding between father and son, there is still a great deal of complexity in their interactions – especially after the revelation of Atreus’ Giant heritage and the hidden prophecy only Kratos saw.

Atreus is desperately curious. Like most young people, he wants to understand who he is more than anything. In this case, he wants to understand who he could be. The mystery of Loki’s role in the upcoming conflict is something that Atreus cannot let go of. He wants to keep his family safe, but Atreus also doesn’t want to stand by and do nothing while conflict consumes the Nine Realms.

Kratos, still bearing the knowledge of his past mistakes, wants to spare Atreus the bloody lessons he learned from his conflict with gods. He wants to keep his son safe, above all, and their confrontation with Baldur has vindicated the belief that only tragedy will come from further entanglements with the Aesir.

Together, Kratos and Atreus will have to make a choice about which path they will take. Whatever they choose will define the fate of all those living in the Nine Realms as Ragnarök approaches.

Agony and Vengeance​

We show a brief look at two of the main antagonists you’ll face in God of War Ragnarök Freya and Thor.

Because of Kratos’ actions at the end of the previous game, the once-ally-turned-enemy Freya has sworn vengeance for the death of her son, Baldur.

We wanted to remind players that Freya isn’t just a terrifyingly powerful user of Vanir magic, but also that she’s a formidable warrior in her own right. Enraged by Kratos’ evasion of justice by her hand, Freya will turn every weapon at her disposal towards her son’s killer.

Also suffering the loss of his sons and half-brother, Thor’s legendary bloodlust and wrath will be aimed at Kratos and Atreus.

Referred to disparagingly by Mimir as the “Biggest Butchering Bastard in the Nine Realms,” Thor earned his title as one of the most powerful Aesir gods by wiping out nearly all the Giants at Odin’s command.

While we don’t want to give too much away right now, we think even a peek at Mjölnir wreathed in lightning will give you a hint at just how formidable Thor will be as an adversary.

You Have My Axe​

It would not be God of War without a healthy serving of visceral and spectacular combat. You’ve been able to see just a hint of new attack abilities, a new Runic Summon for Atreus, and of course, the return of Kratos’ legendary weapons

As a team we’ve worked hard to take our learnings from God of War (2018) and improve upon combat to feel fresh, yet familiar. With God of War Ragnarök, one of our main goals was to push player choice in combat. Whether it’s through hard hitting combos, a mastery of elements, or clever defensive tactics – you will find plenty of opportunity to fight alongside our duo in a way that feels uniquely expressive.

Whatever your choice of combat strategy, the enemies that await in God of War Ragnarök will be ready. The realms have grown harsher, and a whole host of new creatures from across Norse mythology will test your skills. From the trailer you can see what happens when Kratos finds himself under the hooves of the Stalker or grabbed between the jaws of a Dreki, and that’s just the beginning.

With an expanded cast of adversaries, we aim to keep each combat encounter memorable from the smallest brawls to the big show-stopper bosses! We can’t wait to show you more as we get closer to release.

Onward to Asgard​

Fans who played the last game know they were able to visit six of the Nine Realms during their journey. In God of War Ragnarök, you will be able to visit all nine!

God of War Ragnarök will take you to the previously unreachable Vanaheim, Svartalfheim, and Asgard – as well as to new areas from locations featured in the last game. Exploring the realms will take you everywhere from verdant, otherworldly jungles to intricate subterranean mining networks.

This next installment in the series will bring you a more diverse, beautiful, and mysterious variety of locations than in any other God of War game.

Man, I'm absolutely hyped! I do wish that they could have gone for another Norse game since there's so much to it but this is fine on its own.
Yeah I;m a bit disappointed this is seemingly the last Norse game but it's going to be massive

Nah it was confirmed in the post trailer interview this is the cap off to Norway
Ok. I have different interpretation regarding this. Perhaps Ragnarok is end of norse gods but If i remember correctly isn't Norse cosmology constantly in repeat cycle of rebirth and destruction ? perhaps ragnarok happens and after that yggdrasil will reset everything.

like Hermen Hulst said SMS will prepare some quite a few twist and turns in the game.

Ok. I have different interpretation regarding this. Perhaps Ragnarok is end of norse gods but If i remember correctly isn't Norse cosmology constantly in repeat cycle of rebirth and destruction ? perhaps ragnarok happens and after that yggdrasil will reset everything.
I'm pretty sure they say this is the cap off for the Norse games but I'll check

Yeah Atreus made that pretty clear. He's going to reignite his rocky relationship with Kratos so I see him making it worse actually.
Yeah I feel Kratos wanting to stop him from going against Asgard, maybe with Atreus eventually building alliances with the Light Elves or Hel to do so

Yeah I feel Kratos wanting to stop him from going against Asgard, maybe with Atreus eventually building alliances with the Light Elves or Hel to do so
I'm honestly expecting Atreus to betray Kratos, somehow. I'm also excited to see how Tyr ( who I knew wasn't dead and would play a big role in the next game) fares into all this.

I'm honestly expecting Atreus to betray Kratos, somehow.
Sadly I can see it (maybe Odin manipulates him?)
I'm also excited to see how Tyr ( who I knew wasn't dead and would play a big role in the next game) fares into all this.
I'm thinking Tyr and Thor will be foils. Specifically they represent Kratos' path. Tyr is Kratos the old wanderer, a God who travels pantheons to be a better man and Thor is what Kratos could have become. A savage, cruel manchild with no regard for anyone just passing on his worst elements to his children

Sadly I can see it (maybe Odin manipulates him?)
I thinking the same thing. Showing him all of Kratos' atrocities.
I'm thinking Tyr and Thor will be foils. Specifically they represent Kratos' path. Tyr is Kratos the old wanderer, a God who travels pantheons to be a better man and Thor is what Kratos could have become. A savage, cruel manchild with no regard for anyone just passing on his worst elements to his children
Interesting, indeed. Except I think Thor is the representation of who Kratos WAS (perhaps still is, deep within),not could of been. If you really think about it, Kratos has done far worse things than Thor. He was scum, and to him, he still is. I want to this moral struggle continue for the rest of the series, but I don't want him to give up on changing. Which is why, wherever they go next, I want to see Tyrs influence rub off on Kratos. It's honestly the one thing I liked about Ascension. Kratos was softer than the other games, even more than GOW4 imo. As shown when he saves a random civilian.

The original trilogy was a slow descent into madness. The new one is a slow descent into redemption.

Last edited:
I thinking the same thing. Showing him all of Kratos' atrocities.
It's likely he knows since Tyr had that mural pot and It definitely fits with Odin's character. He's even described by Barlog as the guy to make your kid choose him over you.
Interesting, indeed. Except I think Thor is the representation of who Kratos WAS (perhaps still is, deep within),not could of been. If you really think about it, Kratos has done far worse things than Thor. He was scum, and to him, he still is. I want to this moral struggle continue for the rest of the series, but I don't want him to give up on changing. Which is why, wherever they go next, I want to see Tyrs influence rub off on Kratos. It's honestly the one thing I liked about Ascension. Kratos was softer than the other games, even more than GOW4 imo. As shown when he saves a random civilian.
The only thing that makes me think that's not the case is the fact I feel that was kind of Baldur's purpose. A god driven mad by vengeance hunting for his parent. I'd really love to see Thor be vile and powerful enough to bring that out in Kratos again
The original trilogy was a slow descent into madness. The new one is a slow descent into redemption.
^^

raf-grassetti-kratosingame-01.jpg

Screenshot_20210910-032208_Instagram.jpg

Kratos gained his muscle mass back, corroborating atreus saying in lore and legends Kratos was training over the time skip.
I definitely see more definition there which is cool; really love how he looks in Ragnarok so far.

It's likely he knows since Tyr had that mural pot and It definitely fits with Odin's character. He's even described by Barlog as the guy to
I can literally see this exact situation happening
The only thing that makes me think that's not the case is the fact I feel that was kind of Baldur's purpose. A god driven mad by vengeance hunting for his parent. I'd really love to see Thor be vile and powerful enough to bring that out in Kratos again
Except for Baldur's hatred for his mother, and Kratos hatred for his father really aren't comparable in the slightest (nonetheless still an interesting point) I mean Freya caused Baldur to hate out of her overprotectiveness. Zeus....well let's see, Locked Kratos brother, his own son, away to be tortured for the rest of his life, pretty much forced Kratos to kill his own mother, Killed Kratos, and destroyed sparta. And that's just everything he did to Kratos.

I honestly didn't really care for Baldur that much. This is why I said earlier that I felt Persephone was the best villain in the franchise. But, yes, I think we're going to see that side of Kratos again.

And waiting to see how Athena plays into this.

I can literally see this exact situation happening
Yeah it's likely; makes sense to bring out Odin's trickster side since that's canonically a huge thing and we know Thor will be a blunt instrument
Except for Baldur's hatred for his mother, and Kratos hatred for his father really aren't comparable in the slightest (nonetheless still an interesting point) I mean Freya caused Baldur to hate out of her overprotectiveness. Zeus....well let's see, Locked Kratos brother, his own son, away to be tortured for the rest of his life, pretty much forced Kratos to kill his own mother, Killed Kratos, and destroyed sparta. And that's just everything he did to Kratos.
It's still a similar familial hatred so I think the comparison works beyond motivating factors. Perspective kinda comes into this too; Freya tried to protect Baldur from a needless death and Zeus was trying to prevent the destruction of himself and Olympus.
I honestly didn't really care for Baldur that much. This is why I said earlier that I felt Persephone was the best villain in the franchise. But, yes, I think we're going to see that side of Kratos again.
TBH that's a fair opinion; I'm not big on Persephone myself tho
And waiting to see how Athena plays into this.
I'm curious to see if she has anything to do with those Centaurs in the trailer

It's still a similar familial hatred so I think the comparison works beyond motivating factors. Perspective kinda comes into this too; Freya tried to protect Baldur from a needless death and Zeus was trying to prevent the destruction of himself and Olympus.
Yeah, I think you're right, here.
I'm curious to see if she has anything to do with those Centaurs in the trailer
Yeah I caught those. The execution even kinda reminded of GOW 3. But then again, I believe Norse mythology also had centaurs. But I've no doubt we'll see her. She's in every GOW game, well except for Ascension.

I predict the blades of exile to make a comeback. The animation director kinda implied it on Twitter

Yeah I caught those. The execution even kinda reminded of GOW 3. But then again, I believe Norse mythology also had centaurs.
I believe there are Polkan from Russia but that's a separate region from scandinavia and the Germanic tribes. The Gaelic Nucklevee are similar but I don't think that's what these are (Ireland is it's own realm seemingly so I doubt there's overlap here). I definitely think these Centaurs are connected to Greece though (maybe we go home at one point?)
But I've no doubt we'll see her. She's in every GOW game, well except for Ascension.
Yeah she's kind of the greater scope antagonist of the series. I am very curious about what she'll do though
I predict the blades of exile to make a comeback. The animation director kinda implied it on Twitter
Hmm could that be Kratos regaining stuff like the Sparta Summon? That'd be super cool if so

I believe there are Polkan from Russia but that's a separate region from scandinavia and the Germanic tribes. The Gaelic Nucklevee are similar but I don't think that's what these are (Ireland is it's own realm seemingly so I doubt there's overlap here). I definitely think these Centaurs are connected to Greece though (maybe we go home at one point?)
Interesting. Going back to Greece for some reason (maybe to retrieve the blade of Olympus? I honestly think Kratos might have brought that with him. Highly doubt he'd leave such a powerful weapon just laying around)
Would be cool actually. Especially when you consider the fact that there's actually a lot of mythological figures in Greek mythology that never appeared in God of war.
Yeah she's kind of the greater scope antagonist of the series. I am very curious about what she'll do though
I think she'll work with the Aesir, giving them info on Kratos.
Hmm could that be Kratos regaining stuff like the Sparta Summon? That'd be super cool if so
I know right? Honestly bringing back magic as a whole and ditching the talismans and enchantments would be great. I honestly personally thought the combat system of God of war 2018 was nothing special. I think 3 had the best combat by a mile. I mean there's still some fun to be had with it.

Interesting. Going back to Greece for some reason (maybe to retrieve the blade of Olympus? I honestly think Kratos might have brought that with him. Highly doubt he'd leave such a powerful weapon just laying around)
Maybe. I almost feel it could be tied to Odin trying to escape Ragnarok or his supposed twisting of Atreus
Would be cool actually. Especially when you consider the fact that there's actually a lot of mythological figures in Greek mythology that never appeared in God of war.
Yeah I can see Apollo and Artemis appearing as side bosses which could be fun as a 2V2
I think she'll work with the Aesir, giving them info on Kratos.
Makes sense; It would be interesting to see if Odin's aware off the higher plane tbh
I know right? Honestly bringing back magic as a whole and ditching the talismans and enchantments would be great. I honestly personally thought the combat system of God of war 2018 was nothing special. I think 3 had the best combat by a mile. I mean there's still some fun to be had with it.
I can see it being a fun new Runic Attack tbh

Maybe. I almost feel it could be tied to Odin trying to escape Ragnarok or his supposed twisting of Atreus
Yeah. Or maybe Kratos goes there after? I don't really see why, but just a guess.
Yeah I can see Apollo and Artemis appearing as side bosses which could be fun as a 2V2
Apollo & Artemis never appeared for some reason, despite the fact that we get their weapons, it would be sick to see them.
Makes sense; It would be interesting to see if Odin's aware off the higher plane tbh
Exactly. I could see him trying to access it.
And then being a reason to retrieve the blade of Olympus
I can see it being a fun Runic Attack tbh
Yeah that's likely. I did like the runic Attack mechanic

Back