• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Final Fantasy Discussion Thread

hmm, the ultima weapon has a statement of being similar to eidolons. Is the ultima weapon ever shown to be a summon?

hmm, the ultima weapon has a statement of being similar to eidolons. Is the ultima weapon ever shown to be a summon?
It is a Summon in Final Fantasy Dimensions II according to the FFWiki, otherwise it's always a superboss. The Dissidia Compendium also mentions that it was artificially created in ancient times, though dunno if that helps.

When you mention Shinryu and Omega, you mean the ones you can fight and defeat as bonus bosses across the games? Which, speaking of, are they avatars or weakened versions or those are the real deal?

they don't mention if they're avatars or not, just that shinryu has a statement of being stronger than FF4 bahamut, and omega being unlike anything they've faced.

Also side note, FF4's crystals are literally the omnitrix from Ben 10. Like hot damn.

they literally analyze any species and can create their forms in the most evolved state possible.

yeah that's the plan the creator was trying to do, though the fact he can also channel the dark world in FF3 through the crystals is interesting, I'd imagine the creator's gonna become a composite FF1-6 character if we list off everything for him.

How so? He appears as well in other FFs, I took a look and only seems to appear in After Years, so I must be missing something. Or the Crystals themselves and info absorbed by them?

yeah that's the plan the creator was trying to do, though the fact he can also channel the dark world in FF3 through the crystals is interesting, I'd imagine the creator's gonna become a composite FF1-6 character if we list off everything for him.
Also you might get that kinda in Enna Kros depending on when I finish WoFF and if she is who I think.

Geez, some nice upgrade potential for earlier final fantasies is always nice to see, whether or not it gets accepted.

Too bad the FF4 cast wouldn't scale to what you guys seem to be putting down for the Creator according to how this site rules things.

Still baffled as to why the FF5 cast doesn't scale to Neo Exdeath

Honestly the FF5 cast not being 2-A makes no sense, even if you don't accept them scaling to Neo Exdeath, the very reasoning that this site uses to stop them from scaling would also make them 2-A for defeating Enuo anyway.

I'd bet you 10 bucks that Glass could get it accepted

Still piecing things together, so more backups should still be on the way.

Quite frankly, by this point I also think Bartz and co scaling to Neo Exdeath isn't farfetched as initially thought. The jump is massive, true, but it is more or less accepted and assumed how drastic tier jumps can get in RPGs, not to mention Enuo is a thing. Additionally, Neo Exdeath IS the final boss, he isn't a major enemy that gets contradicted with an additional conflict later on or a lesser enemy contradicting the scaling.

Perhaps on the flipside, dunno, Gilgamesh scaling to Squall and co who scale to Ultimecia and her Low 2-C can cross scale to Bartz again and make the jump to 2-A less drastic? Just an idea, though.

Prolly should work on other games first. Again, this meteor thing seems promising, and ff4/After Years could use some love, and you might be able to use that to help other games get some revisions.

And honestly, the whole thing with Gilgamesh and FF8 doesn't seem like the worst idea either, if something like that ends up getting accepted. It'd give Endgame Exdeath a nice buff, too.

All we have to do is work within the wiki bureaucracy, It's literally just a matter of getting enough staff and people to accept it ahead of time before actually posting the CRT

I should try playing After Years again. Some of those stories were pretty good, but others I just didn't like particularly much.

Weirdly enough, I suppose, I didn't hate the Mysterious Girl, though.

So what are you guys currently playing? I just finished VIII. Dunno, hot take of sorts? But loved the crap out of it.

@Zeta: After Years was also a bit of a mixed bag for me, I did like the game but due to being so many individual stories it felt pretty slow at times, but when it caught momentum it was pretty good. I actually couldn't stand the Mysterious Girl, not in the "OMG terrible character! Ruins the game!" but it really got me her constant condescencion (especially dissing my boyo Cecil), so really felt good when FuSoYa and Golbez finally managed to score a legit win on her =P

Well once I finish updating a horror game and another RPG series I plan on making the FF4 revisions. Shinryu’s statement on being stronger than FF4 bahamut would be a good backing for him being far beyond normal 4-A.

So what are you guys currently playing? I just finished VIII. Dunno, hot take of sorts? But loved the crap out of it.

@Zeta: After Years was also a bit of a mixed bag for me, I did like the game but due to being so many individual stories it felt pretty slow at times, but when it caught momentum it was pretty good. I actually couldn't stand the Mysterious Girl, not in the "OMG terrible character! Ruins the game!" but it really got me her constant condescencion (especially dissing my boyo Cecil), so really felt good when FuSoYa and Golbez finally managed to score a legit win on her =P
FF related? XII, 2nd playthrough of Type-0 and WoFF. Also Ratchet and Clank possibly Horizon Zero Dawn when it becomes free to play.

It's not that hot of a take. It's still a PS1 Final Fantasy game, which means it's still got decent gameplay to it, and the music is imo the best in the series. Saying as someone who hates it.

And honestly, yeah, that's about my thoughts about the game. Some chapters weren't that great (Rydia) and others were good (Palom). Mysterious Girl, I remember, being despised when the game came out. Mostly in the 'it ruins the game' kind of sentiment. Of course I was happy when FuSoYa and Golbez took her out, cause she is a smarmy shit. When I say I liked her, I meant as a villain.

I kind of wish it went a little bit away from reusing some of the situations from FF4, but for what it was, it's honestly not that bad of a game, and has a lot of neat gameplay quirks to it that I like.

Oh, and I'm still just mostly playing Final Fantasy 14 for now. I might try to fully get through TAY, I might replay FFV soon, depends on how busy I'm going to be with my other pursuits.

Agreed. I'm not going to say it's incredible or anything, but it's not a bad game or anything. Just has some weak spots, but also some pretty strong spots.

I don't blame people for thinking the main villain is really dumb, though. I kinda think so, too, though mostly because of the world that he chose to go after.

That being said, I can't bring myself to even try to play 12 or 13 again, I just Did Not Like Them. No hate to those who like it, though.

I’d rather play the DS version of 3 than 2 on the PSP, and I played those versions, the latter I had to install a fast forward feature to play that game, and I still hated every second of it. It either pissed me off with the BS high level enemies out of nowhere or bored me to death.

Honestly, FF2 is just miserable to play, but has a better story than 3.

FF3 is miserable to play but still mostly plays like a final fantasy game. It does have a worse story, though.

FF2 is a worse game imo, but FF3 got completely obsoleted by FF5, so rip 3, I guess.

Honestly, story-wise on 2, I'm just disappointed in Leon/the Black Knight. Just felt like a waste, and getting him as a party member just felt bad.

I think what people had issue with II was that it was too different gameplay wise, at least from I and the conventions of other RPGs from the time and eventually the rest of the FFs. Not to mention, at least back in the NES era it had many ideas, but the implementaton was kinda rough in many ways, however the ideas weren't bad per se and could be used for good effect as seen with the SaGa franchise.

Story wise we got the Emperor, honestly a pretty underrated baddie in the franchise. Sure, a by the numbers evil overlord, but boy an effective one at his role.

Regarding After Years, IIRC given it was released as a mobile game in early 2000s I think, it had to reuse a lot of assets from the original game and be released in small episodes, hence many repeated elements and so many scenarios, but honestly it's pretty ambitious for a game of the era on phones so long before the market we have now.

I think XIII suffers from the backlash just all big franchises have by this point, we always need a scapegoat for what's perceiving what's wrong and treat it as the worst mistake of humanity. I mean, I do think XIII has important flaws, but nothing that makes it unplayable or anything, not to menton, as soon as XV rolled along, opinion softened on it and XV became the target. If you ask me, when the fanbase grew, opinions split, decisions became increasingly more controversial because of it. Though production issues at Squeenix are thing I am not gonna pretend those don't exist.

To be very honest... I actually have liked every FF game I've played, even spinoffs. The closest thing to disliking one was Dirge of Cerberus, but in the end I kind of saw a So Bad It's Good appeal to it and still had fun with it, despite I wouldn't call it a good game.

Back