• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Final Fantasy discussion thread III: Riding the Eternal Wind

Yuffie's character really had a lot of potential but got butchered in FFVII final cut.

Everything from her being the daughter of Wutai's ruler to her being materia expert could have played for a very interesting storyline. There's also the fact that she's the only teenager among the group which would gives her a bigger room for development than any other character in the party besides Cloud maybe.

It's pretty weird that Yuffi got cut and Cid made it into main roaster. Since when Japan picks middle-aged men over cute ninja girls?

Well the Moe revolution didn't take place until around 2006...

AFAIK, both Vincent and Yuffie were actually mandatory characters, but had to be demoted due to constraints or cut altogether. I guess the reason Cid was left in was because of the Highwind, but that's just a guess.

Amusingly, Vincent was an outgoing casanova with a way with words instead of our resident stoic edgelord. Sounds familiar...

To be fair, the duality between two different characters who are opposites yet are drawn together has been a popular motif for a long time in fiction. Naruto and Sasuke is the most famous example nowadays, but the duality has been present between Sephy and Cloud since the original game, from thematic and symbolic aspects, to tiny details such as their hairdos.

And as you say, the material to see Sephiroth's messed up childhood of isolation and lies is all lying there, even being a puppet.

Sephiroth in the PS1 version was kinda lame tbh. I blame the bad translation for a lot of it, but it was really hard to tell what was Sephiroth and what was Jenova, and his sprites and motions were just too goofy.

I also want SOLDIER to have a bigger role. They hype soldier up so much, and then not a single member shows up as a boss or character outside of Cloud, Zack, and Seph.

Yeah, we need more fleshed out SOLDIER characters. I need like 3-4 first class to serve as antagonist this time around due how much they hyped them up in FFVII universe.

Give the turks a bigger role while you are at it as well. Flehs out Tseng more, bring back Cissnei and give Reno/Rude moe screentime.

Who would they put in that case? Are thier any really prominent members of SOLDIER aside from you know who that could serve as bosses? Or would we have to introduce some new characters?

First Class soldiers are treated as elites and most of them from what we saw are one man army for the most part yet we only saw 2 of them in the original game, 4 if you include prequel and sequels.

New characters that serves as bosses would be more interesting than fighting a dumbtruck like robots.

I hope that the remake fleshes out Cloud and Seph's relationship more. I actually think that Machinimabridged did a really good job of it with what they had. Especially the "I murdered your mother" part.

To be fair, Sephiroth and Cloud's personal antagonism was not a real thing in the original game and that was the twist on Cloud's part. He believed Sephiroth's was his nemesis, but Sephy didn't care about him beyond being a particularly useful puppet. Cloud realizing his own hatred was also mostly founded on Sephiroth's influence via the Reunion is one of the key factors that breaks him apart. Sephiroth didn't develop a personal grudge against Cloud until after the original game when he used his hatred for Cloud and his decisive defeat at the Planet's core to avoid being absorbed in the Lifestream.

Though you'd never know that given how they are always portrayed as mortal enemies in their other appearances. I guess that's the nice spin on Machinabridged when reimagining Sephiroth's character, by making him more petty and personal.

I kinda agree that Sephy's lines in the original game weren't that good, and the translation is to blame. In Crisis Core, if you watch some of the same scenes of the original game but with the newer dialogue, Sephy's character comes as a lot more powerful.

I think Kunsel could be a good canditate for a 1st Class that could antagonize the team. Especially if he actually knows Cloud. And yeah... I want to see Tseng in action.

Fun fact: In the early versions of the game, Mako was highly addictive to SOLDIERs and they would suffer from pretty bad abstinence symptoms if they didn't have injections regularly. Sephiroth's case was particularly extreme, that's why his demeanor is so erratic.

Most of Cloud's story was true thought except the part where he swapped roles with Zack. He had a clear reason for wanting revange on Seph for burnning his hometown and killing his mother.

He blew his status and role out of proportion but everything was more or less the same.

I mostly meant the near obsessive hatred and desire to pursue Sephiroth, which while completely valid, is met with these lines: vid

Beyond that, Sephy didn't really held anything but contempt for Cloud and when he got the Black Materia their supposed rivalry was pretty much done for until AC came around.

The story always needed more SOLIDER characters. I am glad they did that.

Looks like Reno will be on Cloud's tail all this game lol.

Oh damn, new SOLDIER, Turks fights, AVALANCHE action! Work out in the gym (silly Fist of the North star muscle man, thinking he out work out Tifa) and the Summons!

I kinda like the idea that Reno seems to be a bit of a rival for Cloud now from what the trailer gives.

They actually kept the Frog status in the game, lol. I thought they'd remove it.

From the look of it there is many mini game as well. We are Yakuza now guys~

Honeymmon event is still in. Remake is saved <3

I wonder if that one is first class or not. If cloud fights a first class early in the game he's gonna get schooled

@Zephyros: Yup. The remake is pretty much its own thing by this point, so the profiles are separate.

@Zero: And Don Corneo is a disgusting sleazeball as he should be, awesomesauce! If Cloud gets trounced by a 1st class in the beginning it would be pretty awesome in many ways.

Getting a bit carried away here, but if you can fight him more than once he could note Cloud's freakishly high development rate in a "Okay, we fought just a week ago and you were nowhere near this strong before" sense.

@Bware: Until his official name is given I'm calling him Raymond.

In his head yeah~

I am just surprised that there is many solo boss battle from the trailer alone, if you include that with some solo boss fights in the OG game we will have like 3-4 solo boss fights. I wonder how that will work with the combat system.

Is post merging with Life-stream Seph supposed to be stronger than Crisis Core Seph? I have been playing Crisis Core and it doesn't feels like he's worlds above everyone else.

The scaling is kinda vague. Zack defeated Angele but got slapped by Casual Seph despite Angele stopping Gensis and Seph fight.

Yeah, considerably so, especially considering the knowledge he got and Jenova's powers awakening in him.

In the Angeal vs Genesis fight, there are implications that while Genesis was getting serious, Sephiroth was just "trying harder".

Well... Squeenix did say they were not creating new characters for the remake (this episode at least), dunno if they changed their minds.

I am all in to see Kunsel master the SOLDIER Job.

This guy is either a character from the completion or straight up new character. I am just glad they are giving the Truks more screen time, it seems Reno is gonna take the cake for this one.

Although where is Elena? If SE is willing to bring back Kunsel it's very likely we will see Cissnei as well. Her Japaneses Voice was just <3

Elena doesn't join the Turks until after the party leaves Midgar, and her first formal appearance was in the Mitrhil Mines. Before that she was still a trainee.

Whose voice Elena or Cissnei? I only played CC in english so never listened to Cissnei in Japanese. Elena is voiced by Megumi Toyoguchi a pretty darn good VA.

I see. I didn't play the game in a while so I forgot the order of the events.

It's Cissnei voice here: https://youtu.be/zGhH9h3p6IA?t=6593

I tried looking for a PSP iso with Japanese voices and Eng sub but I didn't get lucky. I was afraid that the english version will be too inferior to the original Japanese, although the boice of Zack/Seph were pretty good, I found the rest of cast pretty meh.

She sounds tougher and more tomboyish in Japanese, which I admit suits her better. I still like her English VA's high pitched and younger voice, though, it kinda grew on me.

On an unrelated note:

Holy frig, I completely broke FFVIII by playing Triple Triad, just passed the SeeD exam , which I am not proud to declare that I did it like complete ass XD, managed to get a Rank 9 but only for the extra points of killing the Spider Robot thing because my Squall was OP... and Squall is already hitting for 2000 damage.

Just realized how little I grasped the Junctioning system back in the day, I never really took advantage of spells. I recall I used GFs and their abilities, but I think this is the first time I looked into getting magic and properly gearing my team.

Pfft... who needs to upgrade their gunblades when they can equip the power of A 100 TORNADOS!! So yeah, after getting Diablos I think am gonna stock away higher levels spells and play more reasonably.

Still hate how unbalanced 8 is tbh. It's so easily breakable compared to literally every other FF game and the characters have nothing distinguishing them enough.

Back