• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Final Fantasy discussion thread III: Riding the Eternal Wind

There is a part of me who would have wished for a multiplayer FF where you could have 4 people in the same party play the game as different characters.

For example, in this FF VII remake, one plays as Cloud, another one as Barret, etc.

That's actually a pretty cool idea. Dunno how it could work in the main story (with skipping cutscenes, exploring and all that) but a multiplayer mode kinda like the Battle Square, or fight Superbosses in Co-Op could be pretty neat. Co-op on local may be more complicated because of the camera, but... dunno, perhaps later parts can consider it.

Well lads as we approach ever closer to March 3 more details and shots about the Remake we're all waiting for are being released. Following gamescon we've been graced with Images detailing life in Midgar.

In other news the FFV's Party Upgrades have unfortunately been rejected.

Yeah, I saw the whole Shinra propaganda as well kinda sayin "Midgar is the most awesome place to live ever!", conveniently leaving out the slums and shady aspects of Mako out, as well as Jessie interrupting the broadcast denouncing their lies.

I'm pretty excited to play VIII again to be honest, haven't been this excited for a game in a while.

Yeah, too bad about V, I followed the thread... but were all changes rejected or simply the tier changes and skill additions accepted?

Upgrades are meh.

Who cares if they are 5-A, 4-A, 2-A or 1-A.

The game is awesome.

PaChi2 said:
Upgrades are meh.
Who cares if they are 5-A, 4-A, 2-A or 1-A.

The game is awesome.
True, but I mean everyone wants thier favorite verses and characters to look strong and be strong on here. After all this is Vs Debating. We're pretty powerful in the High 6-A, 4-B and 4-A categories. Having FFV's Protaganists go to 2-A would have been a nice little addition. As for V's revisions I believe they'll get a seperate CRT going into more detail about skill additions and all that good stuff but Tiers are not being upgraded.

I kind of meant it in the sense that too bad the proposal got rejected in itself, given working on them takes a lot of work and all so sucks it didn't work out. I know that being turned down is always a possibility, of course.

I agree that the power doesn't change a verse being a wonderful story in itself, nor it stains my liking for a verse if it's strong or not (and certainly it shouldn't). But in VS community as Bware mentions, it is neat that those verses you root for can be strong or have interesting abilities to speak of, at least for some people.

Bware1 said:
Well lads as we approach ever closer to March 3 more details and shots about the Remake we're all waiting for are being released. Following gamescon we've been graced with Images detailing life in Midgar.
In other news the FFV's Party Upgrades have unfortunately been rejected.
I'm postponing discussion on tiers for now. Believe me. Upgrades will come, whether you want them or not.

For now, I'm focusing on getting their abilities added here: https://vsbattles.com/vsbattles/3435720

Okay, one thing I didn't do properly when I played FFVIII back in the day was the sidequests. I was still a kid so I missed a lot of stuff. Given I already know the story I decided to simply use a guide to unlock everything... and stumbled across the Queen of Hearts sidequest regarding Triple Triad. My thoughts translate into three words: What.The. Frig.

At some point we need to talk about Gilgamesh and how his scaling affects the rest of the verse. Dude appears in post-game content in FF1, and IIRC they're getting upgraded to Low 2-C in the near future

They censored them? SE Chairman must be Muslim or something.

Why all the censoring? I don't get it. They will attracted more attention to the them if they do that.

Eh.... If you want me to be honest Siren in the original was kind of a big WTF even back in the day, her feathers could be mistaken for hair making it look she was completely naked.

I genuinely didn't notice Rinoa was more covered until you pointed it out, she looks in line with her Dissidia NT design and artwork actually.

I seriously think their censorship of Visual Novels is a lot worse, where fanservice is actually part of the draw for their players. Otherwise, it just feels like another article being neurotic and trying to stir up players.

Fair Points about Siren but Shiva is just as bad as her though and they left her completely untouched. As Zero pointed out why Censor them if no one caused a stur over it, it's just gonna attract more attention to the original design. Same thing with Rinoa.

If I had to take a guess... maybe it's the skin color? Shiva's blue skin can pass as a bodysuit at first glance. But I don't really have a good explanation.

I do agree with you two that it is counter-productive to resort to censorship to begin with. I guess it's a lose-lose situation. Leave it like that and some will claim it is offensive, change it some will claim it is ruined by bending to censorship. Tifa getting into trouble with both sides is a good example of this.

I don't think people were mad with Tifa's design change as much they were mad with the "reason" for it. I mean, they could had just said they felt like trying a fresh design for the remake and closed the book.

^ Agreed and I'm sure most people would have been ok with that and wouldn't have thought twice about censorship since they aren't afraid to have characters with sex appeal: Cindy and Aranea from FFXV, and 2B from Nier Automata being more recent examples. Though we've got original Tifa in NT and The Redesign for the Remake. Just would have thought both sides would have been ok with it.

There were people complaining about Tifa's redesing as soon as she was revealed in the trailer, commenting how her size was smaller and all. When Nomura mentioned the Ethics department the complaining side simply exploded and absorbed other people.

Can't speak for Cindy but Aranea was covered up between Versus XIII and XV, she initally wore a leotard, not pants. Though dunno if there was a reaction to that, given I've kept my distance from XV until I finish it.

I don't know but I think that was done because they wanted use that for Lightning when Lightning Returns came around
DFFNT Lightning PSN Render-removebg-preview-removebg-preview
and didn't want the designs too look too similar. Though Aranea does still show a bit.

As for Tifa. I personally like the redesign just as much as the original but I think it's just a changing society and how people are going against the political corectness and had suspicions on why she was changed and those suspicions turned out to be right. However compared to Cindy and Tifa and other FF females...Rinoa isn't very Sex Appeal
Dissidia Rinoa
-esque.

Especially when you compare her to the Final Boss of the game who looks like this
Dissidia Ultimecia

Funny. I actually prefer Tifa's new design and I think she's more attractive now. Although when I heard he reason for it, it still rubbed me the wrong way.

Hmmm, now that you mention it Lightning's third outfit does look like a lot like Aranea's, even the textures of the black sections. But... the change came in when Versus XIII became XV, so it may have been a simple redesign given Nomura left for Kingdom Hearts III and Tanbata jumped in.

Sensibilities change, that's not a bad thing in itself by any means, but some can take it far. Issues can come from extremes in both sides, you can also find people looking for anything that can be blamed as censorship or agenda to have an outburst, in the same way that some people are there to feel offended by anything.

In Rinoa's case was it confirmed that she was censored and it isn't just the model that looks slightly different? Another thing that I noticed is that Selphie's yellow mini dress was also left as it is.

Anyway, honest thought, is FFVIII worth getting into or not? I am playing FFXIII-2 these days and it's pretty eh...

I too actually like Tifa's new design better. While I never really disliked her original one, I always found it too... um "simple"? I am no designer, so I may be speaking out of my caboose, but it didn't feel the mini-skirt and tank top combo really conveyed Tifa's personality or demeanor, even if it looked good. I think the more sporty details, the more pronounced black and white contrasts and details such as the metal knuckles do convey "brawler" and sporty girl much more and act as a good contrast between the sweet nature and the strong front she has to put because of all the mess she's holding together.

It's definetly not beginner friendly. Junctioning can be a bit confusing at first, and Drawing can be tedious at times but if you don't mind learning the mechanics. I'd say go for it.

TartaChocholate said:
I too actually like Tifa's new design better. While I never really disliked her original one, I always found it too... um "simple"? I am no designer, so I may be speaking out of my caboose, but it didn't feel the mini-skirt and tank top combo really conveyed Tifa's personality or demeanor, even if it looked good. I think the more sporty details, the more pronounced black and white contrasts and details such as the metal knuckles do convey "brawler" and sporty girl much more and act as a good contrast between the sweet nature and the strong front she has to put because of all the mess she's holding together.
Beautifully said

Bware1 said:
It's definetly not beginner friendly. Junctioning can be a bit confusing at first, and Drawing can be tedious at times but if you don't mind learning the mechanics. I'd say go for it.
The combat feels slow and the game is ugly as hell for some reason. apparently they only remade the characters models and left everything else, which make the rest of the area and surroundings really stands out and on PS4/PC somehow it look even worse.

I think I will pass.

This is a port of the original game though, isn't it? Not an HD remaster. Getting polished models was kind of a nice bonus. I personally do like the combat, even if it is a bit sluggish at moments, except for a few details, but... if that's not your cup of tea that's perfectly legitimate

Back