• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Revisions, a small addition and somewhat of a downgrade.

Full details and explanations on the blog here.

To elaborate:

Abilities

Most effects of the Darkness from Final Fantasy III are already included in the profiles, but I tried to compile all the examples in the game for each one. For example, the Darkness allowed the Cloud of Darkness to control Xande, which is listed as our example, but the other cases in the game are giving the power to Hein to control King Argus' guards and minister Gigametz to put the King of Saronia under his control. And so on.

For changes however:

I'd think Biological Manipulation should be removed. What we have is that it changes the biology of living beings and turns them into monstrosities, which is not wrong per se, but I think it's more of a case of Transmutation and those succumbing to the Darkness becoming more monstruous a simple case of Type 2 Corruption, which our pages do mention that of being capable of "making said person or thing into a different being or state of being than it was before". The other example used is the Djinn turning the people of Kazus into ghosts, but biology, the organs or the warping the organic or such are never acknowledged as such in the cases where it's applied, it's a simple matter of something having been turned to something else by something, which is also what Hein to the Elder Tree when turning it into a castle like formation.

In a small addition, the Darkness also has Necromancy, as the undead found in the Sealed Cave were reanimated by it. Also the Darkness has a situational Empowerment and Power Bestowal, given those who succumb to it and become dark creatures actually become stronger and obtain new abilities, but at the cost of becoming pawns of the Dark.

Aria also explains that the Warriors of Light are protected by the effects of the Darkness by their inherent Light. It's also mentioned that Darkness can consume the hearts of those that lose hope, the ending of the game even explains that hope is the force that can overcome both Light and Dark and even stand against the Void.

Tier

Now, regarding the Cloud of Darkness:

We currently consider the Cloud of Darkness Low Multiverse level because she was going to use her powers of the Void to destroy both the World of Light and Darkness. This isn't wrong, but it's not accurate, as it's missing the context of how this was going to happen. Simply put, the Cloud of Darkness is not a creature of nothingness nor the Void, rather a being made of either light or dark depending on which force if overwhelming the other (Darkness this time around) and she doesn't have the power to destroy both worlds at once, but has the power to completely flood one world with either Light or Darkness that will cause a chain reaction that will destroy both.

Full explanation here, but to summarize:

1. There are two worlds, Light and Dark, each shaped by their fundamental force.
2. They coexist in a precarious balance and mantaining a safe distance, yet they have an antagonistic relationship and seek to destroy each other.
3. This balance is kept by the Crystals of both worlds, should something happen to them the balance would tilt and one force would overwhelm the other. If this imbalance grows too much, both forces will come into contact, destroy each other and return to the primordial nothingness that is the Void.
4. The main story of Final Fantasy III is how Darkness is growing out of control and causing disasters. The it's revealed that Xande is trying to flow the world with Darkness to either cause destruction (original version) or to cause time to stop and prevent the time of his death from arriving (3D Remake).
5. Xande's actions resulted in the coming of the Cloud of Darkness, which is explained that is a being made of whichever element is overwhelming the other (in fact, 1000 years before the main story, there Light was out of control and the Cloud of Darkness also appeared).
6. The Cloud of Darkness wants to return everything to the Void and for that she will plunge everything in Darkness. The Warriors of Darkness explain later that this is done because the Light and Darkness would destroy each other.
7. So rather than sending both worlds to the Void herself, the Cloud of Darkness causes a Flood consuming one world with the opposing force which leads to both worlds being erased, essentially a chain reaction of sorts.

This would mean that on her own feats she is no longer Low Multiverse level. However, she can still cross-scale to other entries and keep that tier, simply that we can't justify other characters being 2-C by comparing to the Cloud of Darkness or the Guardians of the Dark Crystals that compare to her. More specifically, the Guardians of the Dark Crystals, Cerberus, Echidna, Ahirman and Two-Headed Dragon appear as optional bosses in Final Fantasy I in the Earthgift Shrine and in Final Fantasy IV: The After Years as recreatons made by The Creator. Taking the After Years, Cecil and team straight up scale to Low Multiverse level by fighting Gilgamesh. So I think the Cloud of Darkness should be more like:

Tier: 3-A , 2-C via the Flood of Darkness, possibly 2-C

Attack Potency:
Universe level (The Cloud of Darkness was filling the World of Light with Darkness, and would have engulfed it entirely if she hadn't been stopped), Low Multiverse level via the Flood of Darkness (Had the World of Light been flooded with Darkness, the worlds of Light and Dark would have erradicated each other due to the precarious balance and antagonistic relationship the two forces have, returning everything to the Void), possibly Low Multiverse level (Far superior to the Guardians of the Dark Crystals, whose recreations made by The Creator, which are possibly as strong as the originals, managed to put up a fight against Cecil Harvey and his allies in the True Moon who also defeated Gilgamesh. The Cloud of Darkness could easily kill the Warriors of Light, who also overcame the Guardians, and was only defeated in their second fight after the sacrifice of the Warriors of Darkness weakened her)

Regarding her abilities, they actually stay mostly the same. She would lose her Nonexistent Physiology as she's not a creature of the Void or nothingness, but her powers of the Dark are the same and due to how they affect Light creatures and such the Darkness itself has Existence Erasure via Void Manipulation (as seen in the After Years, anyone who is not openly a dark creature qualifies as a being of Light vulnerable to the Darkness). However, this does bring the weakness that her powers don't have the hazardous effects on dark creatures as them can live in the World of Darkness without effects. She can still blast them to hell though..

Something I would argue, if I wasn't so friggin dumb in that regard, is that the Cloud of Darkness could qualify for Type 1 Abstract Existence, being created by darkness and existing as it , a fundamental force that shapes the World of Darkness and half of what balances reality. Or Light whan that grows out of control.

Summarizing:

1. Blog explaining the lore and story behind the abilities of the Darkness already on the profiles.
  2. Remove Biological Manipulation.
  3. Add Transmutation, Necromancy and Power Bestowal alongside Empowerment.
  4. Cloud of Darkness changes from "2-C" to "3-A, 2-C via Flood of Darkness, possibly 2-C" (or straight up "2-C" by scaling to the After Years if the proposal is too messy).
  5. Cloud of Darkness loses Nonexistent Physiology, but keeps all other abilities related to the Darkness, including Void Manipulation (all which work on everything that's not explicitly a being of the dark).
  6. The Darkness has the weakness of its hazardous effects not working on other darkness beings.

So do you mind explaining the mental gymnastics here with the rating change because you’re not making any sense whatsoever here. You’re saying that she’s only 3-A by flooding the world of light with darkness, but also give her 2-C because of doing the exact same thing, only that we get to see the end result. You do realize nothing about that makes a lick of sense right? On top of the fact that there is little to no explanation on Cloud of Darkness dying whatsoever by the light and darkness clashing into the void, especially when they said that they will consume the power of light and use it to erase both worlds. I don’t see anything that remotely implies she wouldn’t survive the two worlds dying so her being downgraded to 3-A from her feat is stupid

Also when are you coming back to discord you Dingleberry 🗿🗿🗿🗿🗿

Ah frig, I forgot about this.

Cloud of Darkness is literally the Void, what we see in the games are just manifestations and not its true being.

Hmmm... That's from FFXI right? does somewhat contradict what FFIII says with its own lore (the whole overwhelming one force with the opposing one), but wouldn't be surprised it she received changes the same way the Void was greatly expanded when Dissidia came along. It does raise a couple of questions: it's the same entity than in FFIII, I do recall that some time ago there was debate whether the Cloud of Darkness and Neo Exdeath of FFXIV were the same of III and V, but no idea what the consensus was. I don't keep up with the Online FFs either, so I am not up to date there.

The screenshot you posted doesn't mention we see her manifestations or such, though. Is it stated somewhere else?

The whole idea that the final boss of FFIII was a manifestation of a primordial entitiy and whatnot is not impossible, but we need evidence that it's the same creature in all appearances like in Dissidia and not simply a different counterpart based on the original character. The one mentioned in the screenshot is definitely a creature of the Void with Void powers, though.

So do you mind explaining the mental gymnastics here with the rating change because you’re not making any sense whatsoever here. You’re saying that she’s only 3-A by flooding the world of light with darkness, but also give her 2-C because of doing the exact same thing, only that we get to see the end result. You do realize nothing about that makes a lick of sense right? On top of the fact that there is little to no explanation on Cloud of Darkness dying whatsoever by the light and darkness clashing into the void, especially when they said that they will consume the power of light and use it to erase both worlds. I don’t see anything that remotely implies she wouldn’t survive the two worlds dying so her being downgraded to 3-A from her feat is stupid
Yeeeeeeah, I'm am doing a frigawful job at explaining myself here. Okay, let me try again, Essentially, flood the whole universe with darkness is 3-A, given that if light and darkness come into contact with each other they mutually get destroyed that's a 2-C chain reaction she wouldn't scale to in terms of stats. I know what you mean with "consume the light", I interpreted it more akin to "light will be consumed and everything destroyed"

Her surviving the destruction of both worlds is a good point, you actually got me there. I really hadn't thought of it and just assumed that she kinda accepter her own destruction, the same way Exdeath talks about how destroying existence includes himself.

I do admit this is pretty roundabout, especially given she still would cross scale to Gilgamesh, but FFIII is pretty insistent on how everything returns to the Void by light and darkness erradicating each other rather than the Void coming forth as an active force and devouring everything in the way Exdeath used it in FFV.

Also when are you coming back to discord you Dingleberry 🗿🗿🗿🗿🗿
Well, uh... after being an useless piece of shit giving empty apologies for not helping out for so ******* long I really wanted to make up for it somehow. That's why I worked on my own to have at least something to offer to not just arrive all like "Sup, guys I know I screwed you over a buncha times before, but this time is gonna be different. Arent' we pAlS!?" With the VII scaling and new profiles, the Tactics revisions proposal and even the stuff on this very topic (accepted, rejected, mocked whatevs, the effort was made) it's good enough to not just pop up empty handed. So uh, this dingleberry will probably pop over after work today or tomorrow.

If you wanna make it up then come back to discord, otherwise I’m downgrading Sephiroth to Bullet level and knife level because Dingleberry can oneshot anyone with a knife.

Yeah, I disagree with this domino effect narrative. Its heavily implied that CoD is a being belonging to the void, the gifs in the blog even imply this.

It's a manifestation kind of logical because as said in the game the universes exist inside the Cloud of Darkness, imbalance of light and darkness allows it to manifest, but that's just manifestation (after all, she being the Void she's bigger than the multiverse so there's no way she could be the size of a person in her real form)

And Prishe seems to know the Cloud of Darkness of her world, the same Cloud of Darkness that is the onion knight's archenemy)

and noting that neither Exdeath, the crystals, Shinryu or the gods of the cycle was a match for Cloud of Darkness

I've always been in favor of adding new keys to Cloud of Darkness, with their appearances in games and with their true selves, that would pretty much solve the scaling problem.

Back